Author Topic: Official: James McClean signs for Stoke  (Read 488974 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Official: James McClean signs for Stoke
« Reply #900 on: October 10, 2016, 08:58:43 AM »
He got 'lucky' last night and won all three points.

I hope he 'gets lucky' on Saturday.......
MAGA!

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #901 on: October 10, 2016, 10:18:14 AM »
If he could improve his crossing, passing, dribbling, speed and temperament he might be an average player.

Just scored two goals for his country and plays first team football in the Premier League, he's not doing too bad is he.  8)
the regime don't like it man

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #902 on: October 10, 2016, 12:09:05 PM »
He is at best average, and gets lucky sometimes, still don't want him at my club.

Whereas I have no issue with him at MY club

Well done to him on his goals
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #903 on: October 10, 2016, 12:09:44 PM »
Just scored two goals for his country and plays first team football in the Premier League, he's not doing too bad is he.  8)

Exactly right...

For such an average player he isnt doing to shabby at all is he

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #904 on: October 10, 2016, 12:10:25 PM »
Only at the Albion could one of our players scoring two goals in a world cup qualifier have people falling over themselves to have a pop at him.

And i've a feeling exactly why this is, and it's got nothing to do with his ability as a footballer  ::)
I only go for the beer.

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #905 on: October 10, 2016, 12:21:18 PM »
Well done James!

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #906 on: October 10, 2016, 01:41:13 PM »
He's improving. Put some of his better peformances in an Albion shirt in so far this season. I hope it continues
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #907 on: October 10, 2016, 02:01:35 PM »
Pound for Pound he's been a very good signing who has contributed to the team on a regular basis. He's never going to be flawless, but how many £1.5m signings will be?

There is something in his character that i like, the sort of player who reminds me of that heroic 2002 team that got us promoted with blood, guts and hard work over our expensively assembled, but ultimately weak hearted, neighbors. He's a fighter, he burst onto the scene at Sunderland but was properly stitched up by the club on non footballing issues, so he moved down a level to prove himself and worked his way back to the top flight, where he's proven his worth and is now doing the same for his country. I love to see footballers do that. It's why i like McAuley so much - he's worked bloody hard for it so appreciates every minute.

I'm at a loss at the amount of stick McClean gets, normally from people who bend over backwards to make excuses for Berahino, who has all of the ability but none of the work ethic or attitude to use it properly.
I only go for the beer.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #908 on: October 10, 2016, 02:20:26 PM »
Pound for Pound he's been a very good signing who has contributed to the team on a regular basis. He's never going to be flawless, but how many £1.5m signings will be?

There is something in his character that i like, the sort of player who reminds me of that heroic 2002 team that got us promoted with blood, guts and hard work over our expensively assembled, but ultimately weak hearted, neighbors. He's a fighter, he burst onto the scene at Sunderland but was properly stitched up by the club on non footballing issues, so he moved down a level to prove himself and worked his way back to the top flight, where he's proven his worth and is now doing the same for his country. I love to see footballers do that. It's why i like McAuley so much - he's worked bloody hard for it so appreciates every minute.

I'm at a loss at the amount of stick McClean gets, normally from people who bend over backwards to make excuses for Berahino, who has all of the ability but none of the work ethic or attitude to use it properly.

Wish I had written that! :)
Baggie in Southampton

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

I only go for the beer.

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #910 on: October 10, 2016, 03:06:27 PM »

Yep very good post that.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #911 on: October 10, 2016, 05:57:12 PM »
Did anyone see the game or just the fact he scored twice? He was awful  :-X Scored two tap ins and now he's a world beater?

The other 87 minutes where he could not pass the ball stuck longer in my mind than the goals.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #912 on: October 10, 2016, 06:23:56 PM »
Did anyone see the game or just the fact he scored twice? He was awful  :-X Scored two tap ins and now he's a world beater?

The other 87 minutes where he could not pass the ball stuck longer in my mind than the goals.

No one has said that, not one person, another fantasy creation.

He scored two goals last night playing for his national team, that is note worthy, this on top of a very decent season so far.

Of course, we can always just accept the agenda of the knockers of everything West Brom that does not fit the fantasy world of our virtuous club. ::)
Baggie in Southampton

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #913 on: October 10, 2016, 07:07:28 PM »
He is at best average, and gets lucky sometimes, still don't want him at my club.

You make your own luck in this world.

He's a man who always gives 100% regardless of the outcome of his actual performance and result of the game.

I'd take him over most England players any day.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #914 on: October 10, 2016, 08:06:05 PM »
Gives 100% every time he puts on the shirt [ club or country ] But some fans will slag him of because of what he represents a really good signing who wears his heart on his sleeve.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #915 on: October 10, 2016, 11:55:13 PM »
Gives 100% every time he puts on the shirt [ club or country ] But some fans will slag him of because of what he represents a really good signing who wears his heart on his sleeve.

I think that right there is where fans go wrong with "supporting" players. It's all a bit Pulis "He works Aaard".

He does wear his heart on his sleeve, he does indeed try very hard. He's also a solid 5.5/10 player. Quick, aggressive and not particularly good.

I'd rather have an emotionally neutral person who was more talented.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #916 on: October 11, 2016, 06:52:11 AM »
I think that right there is where fans go wrong with "supporting" players. It's all a bit Pulis "He works Aaard".

He does wear his heart on his sleeve, he does indeed try very hard. He's also a solid 5.5/10 player. Quick, aggressive and not particularly good.

I'd rather have an emotionally neutral person who was more talented.

and you will pay considerably more money than the £1.5m we paid for James.
MAGA!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #917 on: October 11, 2016, 12:17:32 PM »
Bit of perspective required from both sides I think.
Yes he represents good value for money, although would be hard not to @£1.5m in this day and age and yes, he's had a half decent start to the season but that doesn't make him a world beater either.
He's ok as a squad player and on his day, yes he merits a starting berth, but he is inconsistent and unpredictable so we should probably be looking to improve in that position. The lack of quality competition (Gardner, Leko, Berahino) is the biggest concern.
As for the off field stuff, you can't label people as having an agenda just because they don't think he's all that good on the pitch, because, at least at times, it's true.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #918 on: October 11, 2016, 12:31:57 PM »
Bit of perspective required from both sides I think.
Yes he represents good value for money, although would be hard not to @£1.5m in this day and age and yes, he's had a half decent start to the season but that doesn't make him a world beater either.
He's ok as a squad player and on his day, yes he merits a starting berth, but he is inconsistent and unpredictable so we should probably be looking to improve in that position. The lack of quality competition (Gardner, Leko, Berahino) is the biggest concern.
As for the off field stuff, you can't label people as having an agenda just because they don't think he's all that good on the pitch, because, at least at times, it's true.

I don't see anything wrong with the perspective of those praising him scoring for his country or having a decent season for the Albion, I do see a problem with the perspective of those who struggle to say anything positive about McClean purely because of a mis reported and naïve issue in his past, he has been a good pro and a positive for the club, good job we don't all get judged on our past behaviour for the rest of our lives. I've done a few things I'm far from proud of.
Baggie in Southampton

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #919 on: October 11, 2016, 12:35:42 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with the perspective of those praising him scoring for his country or having a decent season for the Albion, I do see a problem with the perspective of those who struggle to say anything positive about McClean purely because of a mis reported and naïve issue in his past, he has been a good pro and a positive for the club, good job we don't all get judged on our past behaviour for the rest of our lives. I've done a few things I'm far from proud of.
How can you say mis reported?

Was it mis reported that he turned his back on the National Anthem while touring the USA in his first pre-season with us while wearing an Albion shirt?

nick_wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #920 on: October 11, 2016, 12:46:52 PM »
How can you say mis reported?

Was it mis reported that he turned his back on the National Anthem while touring the USA in his first pre-season with us while wearing an Albion shirt?

I think it's the fact no one reports why he does it.

He's just an Irish bigot with no respect for the UK or its values according to most rags and football fans.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #921 on: October 11, 2016, 12:52:15 PM »
Watching him this season and last I think he has done really well, and improved over the time he has been with us.  I am always slightly worried that he plays with such intensity that either the tackles o his reaction will cause him to get sent off when I watch, but there are not many players these days who bring that to their game.  We need to separate the player from the background of a player from the Bogside where the pain on both sides from a long running war is only just starting to heal. 

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #922 on: October 11, 2016, 01:33:46 PM »
Personally I don't really care about his background or beliefs. It's what happens on the pitch that matters. No one can question his work rate, application or attitude. However the fact remains that he is a very average footballer. Our fans do love a 'trier' though.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #923 on: October 11, 2016, 02:01:51 PM »
Perhaps people struggle to say anything positive because they don't rate him as a player, as I said he's no world beater so that is a valid stand point. It doesn't have to have anything to do with his background.
I'm sure there are many Albion fans who think he's rubbish who have no idea what "background" you are talking about. Just the same as there are many who do rate him as a player, whilst disagreeing vehemently with his reported beliefs. The two are not inextricably linked.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #924 on: October 11, 2016, 02:02:30 PM »
All non football related James McClean posts will be removed. There is a non football James McClean thread in the General Sports section please post in there.