Author Topic: Carlos Corberan  (Read 267433 times)

KYA

• WBA Coach

Re: Carlos Corberan
« Reply #2625 on: April 08, 2024, 07:53:34 PM »
The owner has openly admitted, that with any new venture that he is new to, he employs those that know what they’re doing. He has already openly backed Carlos. We really don’t need an owner making knee-jerk decisions. I don’t think our new owner does. Just look at the Blues.
Our new owner thankfully looks to have more about him than to make stupid knee- jerk reactions. I think we have been lucky with both our new owner and CC I dread to think where we would be if we had screwed up either decision.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2626 on: April 08, 2024, 08:08:23 PM »
We haven't got a clue what our new owner is like.

A few promising words in interviews doesn't mean he won't ever make mistakes.

Clearly he is very motivated by his other investment Bologne doing well, and an ex Torino manager has already been linked, probably just speculation.

But, he hasn't said my first piece of business is to tie CC to a longer contract (with a bigger release clause).

If we don't make the PO's the chances of a knee jerk reaction increases as on paper it looks like in 2 consecutive seasons he has failed to get into the top 6.

Imo that would be totally unfair and unjustified as he's not been backed properly and he deserves a chance with better players, and I am certain CC is a great coach, who would be even better with better players.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2627 on: April 08, 2024, 08:11:31 PM »
The owner has openly admitted, that with any new venture that he is new to, he employs those that know what they’re doing. He has already openly backed Carlos. We really don’t need an owner making knee-jerk decisions. I don’t think our new owner does. Just look at the Blues.

Agree.

Yes we don't know Shilen Patel but I'm pretty confident he will only change in areas that need changing. Nothing to see here.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2628 on: April 08, 2024, 08:35:28 PM »
We haven't got a clue what our new owner is like.

A few promising words in interviews doesn't mean he won't ever make mistakes.

Clearly he is very motivated by his other investment Bologne doing well, and an ex Torino manager has already been linked, probably just speculation.

But, he hasn't said my first piece of business is to tie CC to a longer contract (with a bigger release clause).

If we don't make the PO's the chances of a knee jerk reaction increases as on paper it looks like in 2 consecutive seasons he has failed to get into the top 6.

Imo that would be totally unfair and unjustified as he's not been backed properly and he deserves a chance with better players, and I am certain CC is a great coach, who would be even better with better players.
We know he's a sucessful businessman we know he already has experience  in the running of a football club admittedly from a junior position he just dosen't seem like a loose cannon like our previous owner, only time will tell but I'm hopeful.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2629 on: April 08, 2024, 08:36:10 PM »

I do agree in that at times we leave the midfield light particularly away from home. Stoke and QPR are two games that spring immediately to mind where we could've done with an extra man in there and reverting to a 433. We do have the personnel to do that now we could easily add M'Vila alongside Okay and Mowatt but it doesn't appear to be an option CC favours.

Not just that we have M'Vila, I'd say the emergence of Fellows and the signing of Johnston also make a 433 more viable.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2630 on: April 08, 2024, 11:32:08 PM »
Not just that we have M'Vila, I'd say the emergence of Fellows and the signing of Johnston also make a 433 more viable.

Absolutely. Those two have completely transformed our attacking options.

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2631 on: April 09, 2024, 07:14:48 AM »
Find comments looking to replace him utterly bizarre considering the state of the place when he took over and, more so, our history of wretched appointments.
I can only assume people want us to go back to a Warnock, Bruce type because that's what we tend to do. Corberan is a breath of fresh air amongst a raft of dire managerial decisions.
He's not perfect - but he wouldn't be managing Albion if he was.
Other than McKenna, I'd say he's manager of the season personally at our level
We are fifth in a league with three relegated teams with superior players and greater resources.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2632 on: April 09, 2024, 04:42:42 PM »
Find comments looking to replace him utterly bizarre considering the state of the place when he took over and, more so, our history of wretched appointments.
I can only assume people want us to go back to a Warnock, Bruce type because that's what we tend to do. Corberan is a breath of fresh air amongst a raft of dire managerial decisions.
He's not perfect - but he wouldn't be managing Albion if he was.
Other than McKenna, I'd say he's manager of the season personally at our level
We are fifth in a league with three relegated teams with superior players and greater resources.

QPR, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Leicester, Ipswich managers all ahead of CC for MOS

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2633 on: April 09, 2024, 05:03:29 PM »
QPR, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Leicester, Ipswich managers all ahead of CC for MOS
LOL, you can scrub off the teams that came down from the Prem they are where you would expect them to be.
QPR and Wednesday less than a season and both less impressive than what CC achieved last season that leaves the Ipswich manager which I think most would agree is the stand out manager this season.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2634 on: April 09, 2024, 05:07:54 PM »
The shortlist for Manager of the Year in the EFL is Kieran McKenna, Daniel Farke and strangely Liam Rosenior

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68725041
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2635 on: April 09, 2024, 06:10:56 PM »

That is laughable. QPR are 17th with a goal difference of -14 having just lost to mighty Sheffield Wednesday at home. Meanwhile Sheffield Wednesday are 23rd in the league with a goal difference of -31. Good luck justifying how their managers, both appointed last October have outperformed Carlos Corberan, you can't, it defies any logic.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 06:12:14 PM by OldburyWBA »

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2636 on: April 09, 2024, 06:13:49 PM »
The shortlist for Manager of the Year in the EFL is Kieran McKenna, Daniel Farke and strangely Liam Rosenior

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68725041

I think Liam Rosenior has done superbly at Hull over two seasons now so I am not too surprised by that. Daniel Farke is pushing it a little given the resources that Leeds have. Them and Leicester are doing what everyone would expect. Kieran McKenna is obviously the one who has produced a miracle so far, he should win it hands down for me. After that our own manager has done as good or better than any of them.

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2637 on: April 09, 2024, 07:19:16 PM »
If you say so. I can't take you seriously at any point so won't argue, though you missed off Mark Robins, who probably would be. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 07:21:53 PM by Albertbaggie »

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2638 on: April 09, 2024, 10:41:16 PM »
Its between CC and the Ipswich guy for me, nothing else seems logical...If Hull overtake us then fair enough , but otherwise i stand by CC and the Ipswich bloke.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2639 on: April 09, 2024, 11:30:00 PM »
If you say so. I can't take you seriously at any point so won't argue, though you missed off Mark Robins, who probably would be.

Then why hasn’t he been nominated?

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2640 on: April 10, 2024, 08:43:37 AM »
Just as a matter of interest Muller, which manager/head coach that we’ve had since 2000 would you like to have seen in the current position instead of CC?
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2641 on: April 10, 2024, 11:06:04 AM »

The QPR and Sheffield Wednesday managers who you claim to have out performed Corberan haven't been nominated either, can't think why given they have a combined goal difference of -45  ;D

As Albert said above, impossible to take any of your negativity seriously.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2642 on: April 10, 2024, 11:54:33 AM »
The QPR and Sheffield Wednesday managers who you claim to have out performed Corberan haven't been nominated either, can't think why given they have a combined goal difference of -45  ;D

As Albert said above, impossible to take any of your negativity seriously.

Both of those teams were as good as relegated when their new managers took over. If Sheffield Wednesday stay up then Rohl should win manager of the season never mind just be nominated.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2643 on: April 10, 2024, 12:00:04 PM »
Just as a matter of interest Muller, which manager/head coach that we’ve had since 2000 would you like to have seen in the current position instead of CC?

Good question to be fair and I’d just clarify I’m not Corberan out, I’d just be open to a potential replacement if the new chairman thought it was the right thing to do.

I don’t think we’ve had a manager who you’d class as brilliant. My least favourites would definitely be Bruce, Pardew and Pulis. I thought Steve Clarke’s first season was as good as anything I’ve seen but bad recruitment for the second season let him down. I found Hodgson’s football to be even more boring that Pulis’ but appreciate the job he did for us.

Mowbray football was the most enjoyable but did he really achieve that much with us? We were promoted with one of the lowest points totals in the history of the championship I believe and then relegated because he was so naive.

Ismael I still stand by could’ve been a good manager for us but his man management is so outdated and he also had a horrible set of players to work with.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2644 on: April 10, 2024, 12:28:38 PM »
Good question to be fair and I’d just clarify I’m not Corberan out, I’d just be open to a potential replacement if the new chairman thought it was the right thing to do.

I don’t think we’ve had a manager who you’d class as brilliant. My least favourites would definitely be Bruce, Pardew and Pulis. I thought Steve Clarke’s first season was as good as anything I’ve seen but bad recruitment for the second season let him down. I found Hodgson’s football to be even more boring that Pulis’ but appreciate the job he did for us.

Mowbray football was the most enjoyable but did he really achieve that much with us? We were promoted with one of the lowest points totals in the history of the championship I believe and then relegated because he was so naive.

Ismael I still stand by could’ve been a good manager for us but his man management is so outdated and he also had a horrible set of players to work with.

I’d also add that I thought Moore was absolutely dreadful. So much so our fans had to create a conspiracy theory that Graeme Jones was to blame for our on pitch failure.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2645 on: April 10, 2024, 12:32:35 PM »
I’d also add that I thought Moore was absolutely dreadful. So much so our fans had to create a conspiracy theory that Graeme Jones was to blame for our on pitch failure.

I disagree with most of what you say, but I have to agree with this. That narrative was excrutiatingly painful to read on here at the time and people were so staunch in their defence of Moore. There is a reason why he is now managing Port Vale and Graeme Jones is coaching at Newcastle. Moore failed completely with a very strong squad

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2646 on: April 10, 2024, 02:33:15 PM »
Both of those teams were as good as relegated when their new managers took over. If Sheffield Wednesday stay up then Rohl should win manager of the season never mind just be nominated.

Two early season appointments in October. Rohl was appointed at Wednesday with 36 games left and 108 points to play for. QPR boss was appointed with 32 games left and 96 points to play for to make up a 6 point gap to safety, so much for being “as good as relegated”, but why let facts get in the way of your narrative. Sheffield Wednesday still sit in the relegation zone with just four games left - so obviously Rohl has done a far superior job to Corberan. Perhaps you can recommend these elite manager to Bayern & Liverpool.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2647 on: April 10, 2024, 04:29:14 PM »
I disagree with most of what you say, but I have to agree with this. That narrative was excrutiatingly painful to read on here at the time and people were so staunch in their defence of Moore. There is a reason why he is now managing Port Vale and Graeme Jones is coaching at Newcastle. Moore failed completely with a very strong squad

Indeed. Do the same supporters blame Gary Megson for getting Pulis the sack?

It was a bit before my time, but I only ever remember Moore being an average championship defender, which makes the love in all the more weird.

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2648 on: April 10, 2024, 07:40:41 PM »
Well the Hull boss was nominated, and you didn't mention him in your little list, so I don't get your point there, but anyway, as I say, I won't argue.
Big Dave as an 'average championship defender' is an interesting take too but again, your opinion
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 07:42:35 PM by Albertbaggie »

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2649 on: April 10, 2024, 07:51:15 PM »
I will never stand for any abuse of Darren Moore the defender for us  ;D

Can never take away memories such as that first promotion season, being at Rotherham when he scored from the halfway line for us, the goal against Crystal Palace in the last game etc.