Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5163711 times)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #15800 on: September 09, 2017, 08:31:07 PM »
Matters not what players we sign sadly, he will never change. Always nice to be proven right, but for the fact he will be here for at least another year I wish I'd been wrong for the sake of my weekend entertainment

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #15801 on: September 09, 2017, 08:47:38 PM »
When will the penny drop there will never be any real style of play improvements he only knows how to play one way.
We have brought in a couple of better players so you might get a slightly better form of Pulisball but the tactics will always be the same no matter who we play set out not to concede and see what we can nick along the way.
It's not quite as cut and dried as 'only knows how to play one way'. Before the Leicester away win last year we were in a similar mode, then at Leicester we played a bit more football (playing through the pitch as Pulis calls it). I've generally been supportive of Pulis but I want to see that intent to play a bit of football even if it's in the 26% of the match that we have the ball. There's nothing wrong with setting up to be difficult to score against but how we play when we have the ball does matter.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15802 on: September 09, 2017, 08:59:10 PM »
Pulis will never change his philosophy and that's not a criticism he does what he does. The only surprising thing is people are still surprised when his teams have been playing  the same way for years. Different players and better players will come and go but the end result on the pitch as a spectacle won't change..... although im sure someone will cling to the mythical Palace Pulis that was the same as all the other Pulis' except for a great game against Liverpool

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #15803 on: September 09, 2017, 09:04:42 PM »
Pulis will never change his philosophy and that's not a criticism he does what he does. The only surprising thing is people are still surprised when his teams have been playing  the same way for years. Different players and better players will come and go but the end result on the pitch as a spectacle won't change..... although im sure someone will cling to the mythical Palace Pulis that was the same as all the other Pulis' except for a great game against Liverpool
But for 12 games or so last year we played perfectly decent football and scored goals from open play. Deny it if you want but we've had spells of decent football when the intent is there which is all I ask for - it doesn't require a massive style shift.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15804 on: September 09, 2017, 09:22:34 PM »
But for 12 games or so last year we played perfectly decent football and scored goals from open play. Deny it if you want but we've had spells of decent football when the intent is there which is all I ask for - it doesn't require a massive style shift.
I think that's why so many people get frustrated, in the past we have had to sacrifice a bit in this league and the championship but we have players now who are capable of winning games ( not leagues ) with a bit of flair. Only my opinion of course

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15805 on: September 09, 2017, 09:58:31 PM »
His tactics won't change away from home. Statistically he probably wants to win eleven games to stay up with a few draws thrown in. To do this he targets about three or four away wins. With his tatics of sitting back he feels statistically he will get these by law of averages. He was the same at stoke. The majority of his points came at home. Why is anyone surprised by his tactics I'll never know. He won't change

But surely today must have been a game that was targeted for one of these wins (if indeed this is what Pulis does. I'm not convinced). Who else would be better as an opponent to target for an away win?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15806 on: September 09, 2017, 10:17:24 PM »
The tactics don't change the outcomes vary but the tactics and approach remain the same. At some point fans have to admit it is the way it is by design not because we lack the quality to do anything else. I never thought his approach would alter against a struggling Brighton side and I am amazed that some fans thought it would be the case.

The notion that when the squad improved the football would improve is one of the great myths. Yes we will get to 40 points because there are enough points to be picked up from teams that don't have the quality or the guile to unpick a deep sitting block and or are a little careless at a set piece. We are better than this,  we are braver than this or at least we should be.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #15807 on: September 09, 2017, 10:47:29 PM »
He is an old man who can't change.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #15808 on: September 09, 2017, 10:51:55 PM »
Matters not what players we sign sadly, he will never change. Always nice to be proven right, but for the fact he will be here for at least another year I wish I'd been wrong for the sake of my weekend entertainment

How have you been proven right ?

We have lost 1 game this season today and we were shocking. Yes Pulis made mistakes with his selection especially given the players have had a couple of training sessions together at best with Rondon possibly not getting back until Friday after playing for his country.

How about hang on a few weeks at least before starting the "proved right" comments, yes we know you don't like him you've made it pretty clear.

Today his mistakes were playing Hegazi and Evans together when they've barely trained together given the "injury" to Evans and them him going off to play for his country, he should have started with Dawson and Evans but I guess wihen McAuley is fit he will return with Dawson rightly going back to right back where despite a few moans on here he's done an excelletn job. Brunt should have been at left back and should until Gibbs gets upto speed given his lack of fitness. Livermore should have made way from the midfield to allow Barry and Krychowiak with Morrison behind Rodriguez given Rondons late return from international duty.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15809 on: September 09, 2017, 11:15:19 PM »
How have you been proven right ?

We have lost 1 game this season today and we were shocking. Yes Pulis made mistakes with his selection especially given the players have had a couple of training sessions together at best with Rondon possibly not getting back until Friday after playing for his country.

How about hang on a few weeks at least before starting the "proved right" comments, yes we know you don't like him you've made it pretty clear.

Today his mistakes were playing Hegazi and Evans together when they've barely trained together given the "injury" to Evans and them him going off to play for his country, he should have started with Dawson and Evans but I guess wihen McAuley is fit he will return with Dawson rightly going back to right back where despite a few moans on here he's done an excelletn job. Brunt should have been at left back and should until Gibbs gets upto speed given his lack of fitness. Livermore should have made way from the midfield to allow Barry and Krychowiak with Morrison behind Rodriguez given Rondons late return from international duty.
Almost to the letter, I think a problem we do have is that teams coming up against us will be more than aware of what team will start(we as fans try and have a go but we always pick who we "want") and therefore be able to set up accordingly i.e. They won't need height in their left forward channel, just pace etc
I'm not a TP fan, but some are in to him before the whistle goes
All teams have a bad day.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15810 on: September 09, 2017, 11:23:59 PM »
Why wait until we are 3-0 down to pick a team that could attack and actually obtain a positive result. He's had 5 transfer windows has been backed more than any other manager, this is his squad and his team.

3 defensive midfielders only 1 one winger. A striker wasted on left wing.
Dawson playing right back and nyom on the left. No outlets no real pace or imagination.

We are an "established" premier league outfit and yet we are going to Brighton trying not to lose. If we had gone there and tried to win we probably would have.

Regardless on the personnel we have we will get just over 40 points we won't be nice to watch all season and we won't pull up any trees in either cup. Pulis has hit his level as he did at stoke. We won't progress until he's gone
O Albion we love you

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15811 on: September 10, 2017, 02:05:22 AM »
For me he has to take the blame for the result yesterday 3 slow holding midfielders is not acceptable in a game we should be looking to win. For me this should of been the team

Foster
            Nyom.      Dawson     Evans    Gibbs

Barry     Krychowiak

Phillips                                             Burke

Rodriguez/Chadli

Rondon/Rodriguez

jharman292

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #15812 on: September 10, 2017, 08:20:16 AM »
Big worry for me now is the middle of the park. One of Barry, Krychowiak or Livermore have to drop out for a more attack minded Morrison or Chadli, however i just dont see it.

Barry is a certain starter. Krychowiak will not be sitting on our bench and rightly so and i just can not see him dropping Livermore who has been an ever preseant since his arrival and has since broke into the England side. Ultimately if he doesn't sort this problem, we will continue to struggle.

He also has to make decisions on defense, he has a genuine right back in Nyom, 4 CBs competing and a genuine left back in Gibbs. There is no longer any excuse for square pegs in round holes. We have these players, time to use them in their right position.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #15813 on: September 10, 2017, 08:47:35 AM »
Sounds like Pulis has had a go at them for 'not being at it'. Maybe there was a touch of complacency from thinking our squad is that much stronger than before the window and we were playing Brighton. There may have been one or two tired legs also from the internationals.
The team should always be 'at it' but sport doesn't quite work that way. We need to see what the reaction is to this defeat.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15814 on: September 10, 2017, 08:53:03 AM »
Wrong selection for me. Literally everyone i spoke to before and during game was saying the same line up. Odd that the manager couldn't see it ...

Foster

Nyom                           Dawson                           Evans (c)                Gibbs

Gregg            Barry

Phillips                                                                               McClean/Burke
                                               Moz/Livermore/Chadli

Jrod

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #15815 on: September 10, 2017, 08:58:31 AM »
Said it above Pulis likes having his 3 threats from set pieces.....Hegazi/Gmac, Evans and Dawson. With the three of them it's difficult for teams to predict what's going to happen at set pieces and to stop it.
Whatever you might want at RB, Dawson will remain there because of this - he gets on the end of things with no thought for his own safety.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #15816 on: September 10, 2017, 09:31:36 AM »
he could have played a forward player instead of a defender if his insistence on aerial threats are the reason behind shifting the defence around so much.

chadli is 6ft 2
all the below are 6ft or over so how much height is needed, we had more than enough yesterday, he took the option to go defensive when a positive move could have been made playing a more threatening team with a forward player instead of moving a settled defence around to accommodate Evans.

krychowiak
barry
nyom
evans
rondon
brunt
burke
rodriguez
dawson
hegazi
McAuley

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #15817 on: September 10, 2017, 09:35:57 AM »
It's not all about height - you're not suggesting Chadli would get on the end of things with no thought for his own safety in the way that Dawson does ?

That's what I'm talking about -  3 defenders who are powerful in the air and get on the end of things - that's what TP likes.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #15818 on: September 10, 2017, 09:38:30 AM »
It's not all about height - you're not suggesting Chadli would get on the end of things with no thought for his own safety in the way that Dawson does ?

That's what I'm talking about -  3 defenders who are powerful in the air and get on the end of things - that's what TP likes.
the three defenders you mention didn't get on the end of anything either, so what was to lose by being more positive playing a forward player instead of a defender.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15819 on: September 10, 2017, 09:38:56 AM »
Fairly pro Pulis though do get frustrated with him in games like yesterday when he's more concerned about the home team than putting pressure on them with our attacking players/formation.
Yesterday he really was to blame with an unbalanced shambles of a selection and what seemed a poorly prepared group.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15820 on: September 10, 2017, 09:50:16 AM »
He's had enough windows now and been backed enough to get players he wants in... Yet we are going to a team who was still to score in this league, setting up to try not to lose.

Not really a fan of pulis but everytime I get a little bit of hope in him, he goes and sets us up worse than my 11 year old sister could for no clear reason whatsoever.

People can try and make excuses and 'theories' for him, but the facts are he has reached his maximum potential with us (same as he did with stoke).

We will be spending our seasons watching dire football 90% of the season with the odd good display which papers over the cracks and getting knocked out the cups in the early rounds.

No one with any common sense is expecting a big cash injection and us to win the league.... but atleast attempting to win a football match would be a big positive (which we won't hardly see with pulis).

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #15821 on: September 10, 2017, 11:09:12 AM »
the three defenders you mention didn't get on the end of anything either, so what was to lose by being more positive playing a forward player instead of a defender.
I'm not saying I agree with it but it's the way TP operates...the 3 mentioned (with GMac as one of the 3 ) have got on the end of plenty in the last couple of years. It's easy to say well we could have done this and that after the event.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #15822 on: September 10, 2017, 11:10:40 AM »
2 out of 10. i doubt your performance will not get past 5. the sooner hes gone the better
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:13:15 AM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15823 on: September 10, 2017, 11:56:55 AM »
Just a bad day at the office for me, nothing to panic about. We've got some new players in who need to settle, TP still needs to find out his best team.
the regime don't like it man

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15824 on: September 10, 2017, 12:03:44 PM »
Just a bad day at the office for me, nothing to panic about. We've got some new players in who need to settle, TP still needs to find out his best team.

The excuses are getting boring now.

Regardless of what his best team is... we all know that Pulis will pick his team based on his favourites and not quality or form.