Author Topic: Do you trust RH when it comes to transfers?  (Read 14603 times)

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

Do you trust RH when it comes to transfers?
« on: June 22, 2011, 02:03:41 AM »
I dont.

Brilliant coach clearly, but lets be honest when you look over his back catalogue of transfers at Fulham and Liverpool he was usually wrong, or at best overpaid (eg the ones he bought from us)

I hope its DA and JP making the transfer decisions, not RH

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Do you trust RH when it comes to transfers?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 02:22:12 AM »
troll

Yes I'm more than confident with RH involved in the Transfer....

On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 02:26:49 AM »
I dont.

Brilliant coach clearly, but lets be honest when you look over his back catalogue of transfers at Fulham and Liverpool he was usually wrong, or at best overpaid (eg the ones he bought from us)

:o Yes I trust Roys' decision in every matter. He is the best Manager we have had at the club since Alan Ashman and Johnny Giles.....and that is going back a bit.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 02:33:26 AM »
I dont.

Of the team that started the Europa cup final, he signed: Schwarzer, Duff, Gera, Hangeland, Etuhu, and Zamora. Only Zamora of those cost a significant fee, so actually his record was remarkably good given the money he spent, there were a few bad signings, but then thats what you expect when you go for cheap players.

At Liverpool he had next to no money (compared to now) and Benitez left him with a squad of something like 3 British player (given your meant to have 8 for the 25 man squad) which meant he had to buy Konchesky, and Jones, only given that he had barely any money he couldn't exactly afford luxury British players, Poulsen was then a bad signing, and Meireles was a success really.

So no, completely unjustified.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 07:57:11 AM »
I think he's very astute. Every manager we've ever had will make poor transfer decisions.

However, don't judge him at Liverpool - judge him on his entire career. You don't judge Man U as 'footballing losers' after losing one game. It's about the bigger picture.

I also agree with Dan in regards to his time at Liverpool. He had limited funds. Look at Dalgliesh who seems to have a war-chest, of course Hodgson will look poor next to that. I do admit that Poulsen, Konchesky and Cole were poor for the club - but look at my first/second paragraphs.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 08:39:32 AM »
In Roy we trust.
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 08:45:43 AM »
Do I trust a manager who came in when we were heading down and took us to an 11th placed finish? Our best in 30 years.

Do I trust a manager who bought players as stated above and took Fulham to the Europa League final?

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 08:52:05 AM »
I think he's very astute. Every manager we've ever had will make poor transfer decisions.

However, don't judge him at Liverpool - judge him on his entire career. You don't judge Man U as 'footballing losers' after losing one game. It's about the bigger picture.

I also agree with Dan in regards to his time at Liverpool. He had limited funds. Look at Dalgliesh who seems to have a war-chest, of course Hodgson will look poor next to that. I do admit that Poulsen, Konchesky and Cole were poor for the club - but look at my first/second paragraphs.

I do not believe he bought Cole - was not the deal done shortly before RH joined Liverpool, I could be wrong?. 

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 09:09:49 AM »
I trust Roy.

He is the best 'complete' Manager we have had in a long long time.

Whereas, RDM, Mowbray and Megson all hit form with us and for that reason they are up there as heroes but they are not great Managers.

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 12:05:11 PM »
Of course i trust roys judgement, he is the best manager we've had for a long time imo and i have no doubt that he knows what he is doing
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 12:14:29 PM »
Can't believe I'm reading this to be honest.

In Roy we trust.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 12:22:18 PM »
Ferguson , Wenger, Mourhino, have all made apalling signings in the past ....... not to mention Benitez,  some players just do not settle at their new club, some are a gamble , and some are poor misjudgements by managers. When you are as experienced as RH you ALWAYS know the type of player that you want, but getting the right fit is never easy.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

else

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 12:29:25 PM »
Can't believe I'm reading this to be honest.

In Roy we trust.

I second that!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 12:55:26 PM »
I second that!

Me too.Incredible.I dont think Roy's purchase record at other clubs is bad at all.
To be fair will he have a massive input anyway with the success of our system
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 12:59:57 PM »
I have more faith in RH purchasing players than anyone else. I'm sure he'll have his own ideas on who he wants to bring in. We can't keep relying on DA finding 'gems' all of the time.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

satcarr

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 01:32:13 PM »
It will be down to Dan Ashworth anyways!!!

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 01:36:16 PM »
Hopefully they will get the right balance of power over transfers this season. We don't want to bring in more players that the manager doesn't rate and ends up not using, but at the same time we need value for money.

Axel Foley

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 04:11:44 PM »
Brede Hangelaand has been one of the best Centre Backs in this division since he was signed by Roy Hodgson. A lot of his signings in The Premiership haven't been eye catchers but they've been brought in to do a job and a job they've done. I always like Dickson Etuhu, and he took him to Fulham. It's clear he likes a physical presence and players with a desire and effort to work for his side.

One of Liverpool's best players under Daglish was signed by Hodgson, Meireles.

63Brummie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 05:39:30 PM »
I dont.

"I hope its DA and JP making the transfer decisions, not RH"
Believe me it will be DA and JP; they seem to have a rapport and a pretty good system.
I'm sure that RH will have a great deal of input but ultimately?????
DA spots them and JP does the sums ;D
Your Football team is the best example of pure unconditional love...that's why I'm a BAGGIE TO THE BONE

baggiechris55

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 07:18:58 PM »
I'm not sure if he bought Cole or not but on paper that was a good signing, just didn't work out. His track record is pretty decent overall I feel.

charliewestbrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 07:33:38 PM »
I'm glad wappingbaggie brought this up. His transfer record and Fulham was abysmall. It's why I was a little bit offeneded when Hodgson said that this club couldn't keep looking to buy golden nuggets for cheap prices. If you have a scouting department and football director who knows what makes a good footballer then that is very effective and actually very low risk as opposed to the whims of one man.

Players signed by RH who had little or no impact at Fulham, all of whom were Roy Hodgson's personal choices:

Jari Litmanen
Eddie Johnson
Leon Andreasen
Toni Kallio
Paul Stalteri
Andranik Teymourian
Julian Gray
Fredrik Stoor
Bjørn Helge Riise
Kagisho Dikgacoi
David Elm

I've also excluded Jonathan Greening and Pascal Zuberbühler from this list and I think the sucess of John Paintsil and Erik Nevland is debatble too. It's worth mentioning that Roy Hodgson wanted to sell Zamora after one season but the player turned down the only club who made an offer Hull.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 07:47:31 PM »
I do trust Roy Hodsgon has I think he can learn from his mistakes, but that list your talk about, could be down to him just buying squad players, they had a long season when they got to the Europa League final and had plenty of injuries.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

charliewestbrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 08:30:07 PM »
I do trust Roy Hodsgon has I think he can learn from his mistakes, but that list your talk about, could be down to him just buying squad players, they had a long season when they got to the Europa League final and had plenty of injuries.

Honestly, they made so few appearences between them I don't think they can even be considored squad players, plenty of them were shifted out on loan. Further, the point is they are not very good players.

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 08:36:03 PM »
I trust him just as much as I've trusted any other manager we've had. Also I have a lot of faith in Ashworth and our scouting system.

Mossi28

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »
I dont.

Yet again a stupid thread at Fulham he made some very good signings with the likes of Hangeland, Zamora and Dempsey just to name a few, granted he made a few mistakes with signings and maybe paid over the odds for a few but who doesn't? People seem to forget some of the rubbish that Ferguson has brought down the years with the likes of Anderson who cost 18m and Kelberson who cost 6.5!

In Roy we trust.