Author Topic: Seals watch - Anything Villa  (Read 2229671 times)

Floydy (+ 1 hidden) and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

Re: Seals watch - Anything Villa
« Reply #7800 on: October 11, 2018, 10:17:22 AM »

Me too. Brentford played good football given their resources.  I fear that Dean Smith will get the best out of the players that Villa splashed out on in previous seasons.  (At least Gueye and some others have gone)

All of Brentford's good players and optimal use of resources come from a statistics company owned by their owner Matthew Benham. None of which Villa currently have. He's a good coach but they aren't going to turn into Brazil over night.

. If I was a Brentford fan I wouldn’t be too disappointed and would be confident of upgrading on Smith.

Interestingly, given the system with which Brentford operate a lot of their fans are more than confident of a similar replacement being found in no time at all. They'd have fought tool and nail to keep him if he was the glue holding it all together, but he wasn't. His value was never going to be higher so they cashed in.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7801 on: October 11, 2018, 10:37:07 AM »
RIP Doug
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7802 on: October 11, 2018, 11:11:06 AM »
Being ultra critical he’s never actually achieved an end goal of promotion whilst playing good football and being free flowing, obviously all managers have flaws but the amount of points Brentford have gave away in the last 15 mins of games the last few seasons is staggering. For me he’s okay when his teams play well they’ll win most games, but doesn’t affect a game to grind a result out. I’d argue Brentford’s performances have been better than ours thus far but still yet to win away from home for instance. If I was a Brentford fan I wouldn’t be too disappointed and would be confident of upgrading on Smith.

That's pretty much how I feel about it, I certainly didn't get the clamour for him to get the job here. I guess time will tell.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7803 on: October 11, 2018, 11:33:06 AM »
A bit surprised as it is a reasonably good appointment. Pity really as I was looking forward to our game against the Cabbage Patch Dolls on the 7th, will be a little bit more competitive now....

I imagine Smith will go straight back to Brentford for Maupay.
MAGA!

Semaj Riatsila

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7804 on: October 11, 2018, 11:58:17 AM »
RIP Deadly Doug. Old school owner whom wore his colours with pride. Don’t see owners like that in the upper leagues these days.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7805 on: October 11, 2018, 11:58:39 AM »
A bit surprised as it is a reasonably good appointment. Pity really as I was looking forward to our game against the Cabbage Patch Dolls on the 7th, will be a little bit more competitive now....

might have issues with FFP?

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7806 on: October 11, 2018, 12:04:56 PM »
might have issues with FFP?

Maybe Hull, but I imagine Smith will be looking to get rid of a few to balance it out, so I assume that they will go down that route.

Personally I do hope FFP bites them.....
MAGA!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7807 on: October 11, 2018, 12:53:06 PM »
Maybe Hull, but I imagine Smith will be looking to get rid of a few to balance it out, so I assume that they will go down that route.

Personally I do hope FFP bites them.....

Yeah me too!
They do seem to be struggling to get rid of some of their older players on big wages like Micah Richards, I don't think they are in a position to be able to pay off the rest of his contract too....shame!

I would think that Maupay would be looking for.... more pay.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7808 on: October 11, 2018, 01:09:21 PM »

Suggested in the media Brentford rejected a Championship record bid in the summer. Villa can't afford him.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7809 on: October 11, 2018, 01:43:24 PM »
All of Brentford's good players and optimal use of resources come from a statistics company owned by their owner Matthew Benham. None of which Villa currently have. He's a good coach but they aren't going to turn into Brazil over night.

Interestingly, given the system with which Brentford operate a lot of their fans are more than confident of a similar replacement being found in no time at all. They'd have fought tool and nail to keep him if he was the glue holding it all together, but he wasn't. His value was never going to be higher so they cashed in.

They try to use the baseball mobeyball system at Brentford and I think their previous manager who went on to manage rangers left them because he didn't want to adopt this system.

Imo they do it very well, and have found many gems in the likes of Muapay and Watkins and prior to them Tarwoski (wrong spelling) and Gray.

Being at vile and their great expectations with a rat like Terry wanting your job is going to be a completely different kettle of seals.

I think the system and scouting at brentford is exceptional and we should look into doing something similar to supplement our scouting system.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7810 on: October 11, 2018, 01:48:19 PM »
That's pretty much how I feel about it, I certainly didn't get the clamour for him to get the job here. I guess time will tell.

Agreed, as he hasn't won any promotions like dingle Paul Cook at Wigan, who I personally think is a better, more experienced manager who no one seems to go for.

It will be interesting to see what happens to him now Wigan have been sold for £22m.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7811 on: October 11, 2018, 01:51:26 PM »
I wouldn't have thought that Dean Smith wanted Terry as his No 2, more like he was told.
Not sure if Smith has bought any of his own people with him but I can see friction ahead between Terry and Smith.
Terry has always been around teams of the highest level (until he turned up at seal park) so I would imagine he might be looking down his nose a little at Smith.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7812 on: October 11, 2018, 02:24:05 PM »
I wouldn't have thought that Dean Smith wanted Terry as his No 2, more like he was told.
Not sure if Smith has bought any of his own people with him but I can see friction ahead between Terry and Smith.
Terry has always been around teams of the highest level (until he turned up at seal park) so I would imagine he might be looking down his nose a little at Smith.

I'm pretty sure I read something (might have been in Brummie Mail) about how Smith wants his backroom staff from Brentford as well, so Terry will probably be further down the pecking order than he expects, as you say I can't imagine that'll go down well. Although Brentford might play hard ball and refuse to let the rest of the backroom staff go or Villa might have to pay a much larger amount in compensation.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7813 on: October 11, 2018, 02:47:34 PM »
They try to use the baseball mobeyball system at Brentford and I think their previous manager who went on to manage rangers left them because he didn't want to adopt this system.

Imo they do it very well, and have found many gems in the likes of Muapay and Watkins and prior to them Tarwoski (wrong spelling) and Gray.

Being at vile and their great expectations with a rat like Terry wanting your job is going to be a completely different kettle of seals.

I think the system and scouting at brentford is exceptional and we should look into doing something similar to supplement our scouting system.

Absolutely. Warburton and Rosler two managers who left Brentford when very highly rated and failed.

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #7814 on: October 11, 2018, 03:49:57 PM »
In fairness to the Vile they do seem to have brought in a decent manager & backroom team with only a minimum of fuss.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7815 on: October 11, 2018, 04:39:55 PM »

"Underpinning everything that Brentford do is the belief that much of football's conventional wisdom is wrong. "
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718752-brentfords-moneyball-way-to-beat-football-teams-with-huge-budgets
Interesting what they say about academies.  The big clubs snap up the good ones leaving the club hosting the academy with the dross.
When scouting players, Brentford look for skills including recognition of game situations that are statistically linked with positive effect - not the conventional set which they reckon are based on emotional and subjective values.

Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7816 on: October 11, 2018, 07:49:13 PM »
Dean Smith reaped years of his hard work at Brentford. It will be very interesting to see what happens at Villa.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7817 on: October 11, 2018, 08:24:15 PM »
RIP Deadly Doug. Old school owner whom wore his colours with pride. Don’t see owners like that in the upper leagues these days.

RIP Doug
At least he was loyal to Villa thro thick and thin. Far sooner have directors who know the club and culture rather than complete outsiders only in it for a quick buck...a la Mike Ashley. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7818 on: October 11, 2018, 09:02:42 PM »
Dean Smith reminds me of Gary Rowett in terms of status (not their playing styles). Clearly a decent manager in this league but neither have done anything of note - and when a manager is judged in this league, it's based on promotions.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7819 on: October 11, 2018, 10:23:38 PM »
Dean Smith reminds me of Gary Rowett in terms of status (not their playing styles). Clearly a decent manager in this league but neither have done anything of note - and when a manager is judged in this league, it's based on promotions.
If you go on promotions Steve Bruce is yeah man  ;)

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7820 on: October 11, 2018, 10:28:10 PM »

That is what I judge managers on.

If I remember correctly when he took over at the bees he had a very slow start.

That kind of start won't be tolerated by the vilest who will demand a team capable of winning the champions league by Halloween or he may be the centre piece of many a bonfire.

Regarding Brentford I remember a few years ago Leyton orient were higher than them until the new guy took over and now they are chasing prem football whilst orient are non league because of their owner.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7821 on: October 11, 2018, 10:34:28 PM »
So if you go on promotions Warnock and Bruce are different league to Smith........now I know which of those 3 I wanted managing us a few months ago.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7822 on: October 12, 2018, 07:19:09 AM »
 It is hard to imagine 2 clubs that are further apart in expectations organisation and challenge than Brentford and Villa. Brentford are well run managed within a tight budget and generally not burdened by expectation the opposite is the case at Villa Park.

Smith is now in a totally different environment and I am not sure how he will adapt. The one thing he doesn't have is time. Villa have to get promotion this season their owners have gambled on it and if they don't they will have real problems with FFP next year.

I have an intense dislike of John Terry which I confess colours my judgement of him but I suspect that appointment might not end well.

I championed Smith's appointment here so I do think he is an excellent coach and he has over achieved at Brentford (promotion to the Premier League is a ridiculously high bar to set for a team with one of the lowest budgets in the League) but I suspect the dysfunctional monster that is Aston Villa will chew him up and spit him out.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7823 on: October 12, 2018, 07:58:39 AM »
Smith comes across very well and I'm sure he's a good bloke but I have to say I share that intense dislike of John Terry. It's a bit of an arranged marriage...thrown together and we'll have to see how it works. I think O'Kelly has gone as Smith's assistant or whatever also ? In reality Terry is going to be one of two or three assistants and may not have a huge initial input but he is no doubt a strong personality and who knows how things will pan out if they get off to a sticky start.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7824 on: October 12, 2018, 08:59:59 AM »
Same here regarding John Terry. If things don't go well for Smith, he will distance himself from blame whilst prowling in the background ready to jump into his shoes.

Beware the Ides of March, Mr. Smith.