Author Topic: Gareth Barry retires  (Read 187031 times)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: Gareth Barry
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2017, 12:55:02 PM »
😂 I guess that's what you get when using your phone in work, But also if Field can get out on loan too it also helps
Originally I was dead against, but after reading Everton fans' comments, and the fact that it is a 1+1 year deal, I can now understand it. Hampshire, you have a good point too about giving the youngsters another year to develop + he is a model professional and will be a good role model. Better than Fletcher too, so overall I think this is a good signing.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2017, 01:01:20 PM »
I'll be sad to see him go he's real quality and to be honest I wouldn't let him go as we still need him especially in Europe but I'd imagine he wants more football, he's a better player than Darren Fletcher I think.

From a ST long time Evertonian chum of mine
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2017, 01:05:56 PM »
Should make us better on the ball. Midfield of Barry holding with Livermore and another (delph?) would be perfect imo. Get a top winger in snd would be a good season ahead!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2017, 01:06:04 PM »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2017, 01:08:45 PM »
http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/270776/gareth-barry

jealous bunch ay they

There only saying what most Albion fans are saying. Let's replace a 33 year old with a 36 year old. Makes perfect sense :o

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2017, 01:10:01 PM »
Who was the last player to play for us with two first names?

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »

Bob Taylor ... ? ::)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2017, 01:12:44 PM »
The post by HammerCricket is probably the only one to take note of on there thus far.

His pace shouldn't be an issue as it isn't an issue for Yacob as he will not be high enough up the pitch, nor will we as a team, for it to be a problem. His role will be picking the passes for the pacey wingers to exploit space created by soaking up the pressure

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »
The post by HammerCricket is probably the only one to take note of on there thus far.

His pace shouldn't be an issue as it isn't an issue for Yacob as he will not be high enough up the pitch, nor will we as a team, for it to be a problem. His role will be picking the passes for the pacey wingers to exploit space created by soaking up the pressure

And that's all she wrote.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2017, 01:14:19 PM »

now you have started something lol, deserves a seperate thread. i know someone called carter. what about darren carter
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2017, 01:15:49 PM »
Jerome Thomas!

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2017, 01:17:01 PM »
if we give gareth barry a 2 year deal then it is about as stupid as giving tony pulis a new deal

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2017, 01:20:12 PM »
Can we stay on Gareth Barry rumours please.

Create a thread in the woodman if you want to discuss player names
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

keithowba86

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2017, 01:20:36 PM »

Rakeem Harper ;-)

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2017, 01:21:49 PM »

I once played five aside against a 50 year old Chris Waddle in my late teens (don't ask, I'm still not sure how this happened he was just there on the other team in one of those Goals! leagues) and he did this. Barely left the centre circle and just sprayed passes around. Single handedly battered my team.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2017, 01:22:29 PM »
if we give gareth barry a 2 year deal then it is about as stupid as giving tony pulis a new deal

The only contract length that's been reported is a 1 year deal with the potential for another year presumably if he does well and/or stays fit. If he does do well why wouldn't we offer him another year?

just found this from Squawka

http://www.squawka.com/news/west-brom-expect-to-sign-gareth-barry-imminently-from-everton/980453#pcjDhSMwybAOARbw.97
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:27:29 PM by Hull Baggie »

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2017, 01:48:49 PM »
From the Liverpool Echo.

Gareth Barry to leave Everton armed with the admiration of everyone

And why Ronald Koeman may need to find a replacement
BY PHIL KIRKBRIDE
11:25, 15 AUG 2017UPDATED11:26, 15 AUG 2017

Ronald Koeman has reluctantly agreed to sell one of the best players he has ever managed.

That’s not speculation or conjecture, it’s what the Everton boss said.

It was in the hours after the Blues’ 2-1 win over West Bromwich Albion in August last year when Barry was the surprise match-winner, popping up at the back post to head home the winning goal, and put the icing on a typically pristine display.

“...he’s still one of the best players that I have managed in my teams because of the cleverness of him in football is really a high quality,” Koeman said.

The manager’s admiration for the 36-year-old has not slipped, even if Barry has fallen down the pecking order at Goodison since that afternoon at the Hawthorns, and it’s exactly he was at first reticent, but ultimately agreed, to let him go.

Barry, to his eternal credit, does not want to spend the final years of his career as a bit-part player and so wanted to take up an opportunity to be first-choice under Tony Pulis at West Brom.

JS41343071-1.jpg
Gareth Barry shakes hands with Roberto Martinez after agreeing a three-year permanent deal with Everton in 2014
Evertonians will be disappointed to see him go but no-one will begrudge him the move; they may even applaud his desire.

They know he’ll be superb for the Baggies, just like he has been for Everton over four seasons and 155 games.

READ MORE
This is the strongest Everton squad I've known says Gareth Barry
A quiet but classy operator, Barry instantly commanded the respect of his team-mates and steadily won over sceptical elements of the Blues’ support.

Roberto Martinez didn’t always get it right in the transfer market but landing Barry, first on loan and then permanently for a nominal fee, was one the club’s shrewdest pieces of business in recent times.

Gareth Barry celebrates scoring his side's winning goal against West Brom at The Hawthorns on August 20, 2016
The former Manchester City man isn’t flashy, he’s not quick, he doesn’t score many goals or skip past the opposition but his range of passing is extensive, his understanding of the game is total and his speed of thought is what ties it all together.

He’s also got bottle, highlighted by the fact that during Martinez’s final season, which unravelled at speed, he emerged with credit, being named the club’s Player of the Year and the Players’ Player of the Year awards.

READ MORE
This is the truth about those Gareth Barry exit rumours
All wrapped up in an immaculate sense of professionalism, the veteran midfielder will be missed at Everton, so much so that when his move to West Brom is complete, possibly today, they are left without a natural back-up to Morgan Schneiderlin – it may force Koeman into a revision of his remaining transfer plans.

Wayne Rooney and Gareth Barry before the pre-season friendly against FC Twente(Image: Tony McArdle/Everton FC via Getty Images)
His wish-list should now read: ‘Gylfi Sigurdsson, a striker, a left-sided defender....and a replacement for Barry’.

On Saturday afternoon, Koeman spoke about being “happy” to keep him, there has even been talks about the offer of a new deal, but hinted that he would allow this “great professional” to leave in search for regular game-time if he so wished.

He does. And today Barry is edging closer to a move to West Brom, the place where Koeman delivered the fullest of praise possibly available to him.

Barry’s Everton team-mates would all concur with their manager and so let’s leave it to Leighton Baines to provide a fitting final word on a player they call Gaz Baz.

“He is the biggest example of a standard setter in that respect,” he said, last season. “I have got so, so much respect for him.

"He is one of the best players I have ever played with because he’s unbelievable.”

Follow @LivEchonews
VIEW FULL MOBILE PAGE
MORE ON
Gareth BarryRoberto MartinezTony PulisLeighton BainesMorgan SchneiderlinEverton FC

NEWS
WHAT'S ON
SPORT
IN YOUR AREA
LIVERPOOL FC
EVERTON FC
CELEBS
BUSINESS
FOLLOW US
© 2017 Trinity Mirror Merseyside

Didn't the Chelsea manager, the Chelsea fans, his colleagues and all of the press say the same about John Terry .... have you seen him play for villa ?
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2017, 01:56:40 PM »
I once played five aside against a 50 year old Chris Waddle in my late teens (don't ask, I'm still not sure how this happened he was just there on the other team in one of those Goals! leagues) and he did this. Barely left the centre circle and just sprayed passes around. Single handedly battered my team.

you never lose the skill or quality in a player, just the fitness.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2017, 01:57:08 PM »

Were you playing for Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea or Man U at the time?  :o

Thought not.

Worlds apart
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2017, 02:32:14 PM »
Not exactly the player I wanted but will give him a chance - surely he is a better passer of the ball than Fletcher whilst maintaining all the other qualities he had.

Still hope there is another CM incoming.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2017, 02:32:28 PM »
Didn't the Chelsea manager, the Chelsea fans, his colleagues and all of the press say the same about John Terry .... have you seen him play for villa ?

Barry made 33 appearances for Everton last season, Terry hardly played.
the regime don't like it man

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2017, 02:37:49 PM »
Barry made 33 appearances for Everton last season, Terry hardly played.

Good point well made Legend
MAGA!

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2017, 02:39:19 PM »
Were you playing for Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea or Man U at the time?  :o

Thought not.

Worlds apart

Aye no need to be so bitey, just saying players with 'no legs' offer more than just the ability to run around. Tether Barry to a post in the centre circle and he can still contribute.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2017, 03:09:03 PM »
Good point well made Legend

The point is everyone is saying what his manager, fans and press are stating which is actually the same as what was said about John Terry. He played 14 times for Chelsea and still scored the same amount of goals as Barry. Plus during that season he missed a lot of games though injury and suspension.
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2017, 03:22:20 PM »
Still a good player , great passer of the ball but like Fletch its a short term fix where we sit and wait for the signs of age to show.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.