Poll

Should Bilic be sacked?

Yes
5 (2.7%)
No
181 (97.3%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Voting closed: July 30, 2020, 12:43:27 PM

Author Topic: Bilic - back him or sack him?  (Read 14274 times)

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

Re: Bilic - back him or sack him?
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2020, 03:56:54 PM »
Yup, I would give him next year for sure.  Worst that can happen is relegated, then I would give him another year in the Champ and then take stock.  You've got to give a manager some time and making the step up isn't something that's easy.

Agree entirely, even if we get relegated, we will be in a much better place than this season.
Baggie in Southampton

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2020, 03:59:35 PM »
Are we really having a poll on sacking a manager after he has just guided us to promotion? In a season where especially the first half we played some of the best football I’ve seen up the Albion .

Complete joke of a thread , embarrassing lads

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2020, 04:08:51 PM »
A pathetic embarrassing thread that should be removed

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2020, 04:29:26 PM »
I'm all about opinions on a forum, but I do not like the idea of anyone associated with the club reading this thread and thinking it has any substance.

2 people so far saying sack him says it all. Ridiculous

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2020, 04:33:37 PM »
A pathetic embarrassing thread that should be removed

No it shouldn't. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to seek the opinions of others.

And no I didn't vote sack.  :-*

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2020, 04:34:01 PM »
I don't think the thread is particularly embarrassing....maybe not the best thing to do the day after promotion but it was suggested a week ago or so.

Anyway for what it's worth there is no way we should even be considering Bilic's future. He has made mistakes, every manager does but he has got things more right than he has got them wrong. He has generally brought in players who have done the job expected of them..the one stand out exception being Zohore.

Personally I'm exited to see who we bring in and how we play next season. Yes we'll no doubt lose more than we win and we may well take some proper drubbings at the hands of the very top teams but with the right players in we can stay up. Bilic has earned the right to have a go with us in the Prem. I'm expecting a season much like 2010/11 (without the sacking of the manager!)
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2020, 04:36:02 PM »
Why would you sack him? who would you replace him with ? The bloke has put smiles back on faces , has clearly got players and staff to buy into what he’s doing if carlsberg did nonsensical posts this would be top of the pile !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2020, 04:38:57 PM »
Weird thread this?  He's had his issues this season like everyone would but a lot of them probably came down to us having no decent strikers of any note as illustrated by last night!

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2020, 04:39:19 PM »
No it shouldn't. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to seek the opinions of others.

And no I didn't vote sack.  :-*
at this point I think we know the 2 who did!

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2020, 04:43:13 PM »
I lurk on here from time to time but hardly ever post. Social media isn't for me but I just have to say that the reaction from some "fans" on here has been absolutely embarrassing out in the real world. I have no idea what sort of expectations people have from our club but anyone thinking that we have some sort of preordained right to get promotion, win games or play in the Premier league is supporting the wrong club.

I was watching us play back in the 90's when Gould was manager and we got relegated to the Third Division and ended up playing teams like Darlington. Since we started spending more time in the PL than the Championship we've gained an unnerving number of prawn sandwich fans who like the sound of their own voices a tad too much.

We're Albion, we've never done things the easy way, we're a small family club with family values. We don't have means to buy trophies or pay insane wage packets. Our strength is our tight knit nature and doing things "the Albion way". Crawling over the line yesterday was underwhelming but that's about the most Albion thing I can think of. We have a great group of players and an honest hardworking manager and backroom team, and you can see the relief was evident from their passion. Onward and upwards, boinging all the way. COYB.

In the clubs history we’ve spent 81 seasons playing in the top flight of English football and 2 seasons playing in the third tier of English football. It’s not a recent thing.

Crawling over the finishing line ‘the Albion way’ must have really been something for all those working for the club who faced the serious prospect of losing their job if we didn’t gain promotion.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2020, 04:48:40 PM »
I'm all about opinions on a forum, but I do not like the idea of anyone associated with the club reading this thread and thinking it has any substance.

2 people so far saying sack him says it all. Ridiculous

And one of those was a mistake.

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2020, 05:06:20 PM »
I cannot think of anyone who would come to Albion who is more likely to keep us up than Billic.
I do think we are going upthough  with a fairly weak squad but i thought that of Sheffield last year and their manager has done a great job.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2020, 05:33:35 PM »
Why would you sack him? who would you replace him with ? The bloke has put smiles back on faces , has clearly got players and staff to buy into what he’s doing if carlsberg did nonsensical posts this would be top of the pile !

Totally agree - this is something that possibly only Watford would do?

There were calls for him to be sacked on the game thread last night - unbelievable - even if we didn’t go up automatically and failed in the playoffs - just unbelievable...!?!
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2020, 05:38:57 PM »
I don't think the thread is particularly embarrassing....maybe not the best thing to do the day after promotion but it was suggested a week ago or so.
Yes the poll was agreed after the Huddersfield result.

I’ve no qualms about it being the day after we were officially promoted. Had Brentford or Fulham taken second place I’m sure the poll results would look different.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 07:56:28 PM by MarkW »

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2020, 05:45:36 PM »
Love Bilic, love the squad and love the work the Club have done for the community during lockdown. Asking if Bilic should should be sacked is more than just a question on his role, IMHO it's a bit of an insult to the club so soon after such a fantastic achievement. 

Compared to other club forums this is extremely well managed and has a good standard of footballing opinion, with 5-6 posters I particularly enjoy reading insights from. I know it's all about opinion so here is my mine- this thread is poor and should be removed.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2020, 05:46:34 PM »
Unbelievable Jeff.

I find this utterly inappropriate and disrespectful. Really surprised the mods have kept this on.

...and no, had Brentford or Fulham pipped us to second I still wouldn't be saying 'get rid'. We've had several highly dubious managers in the last few years (with the odd exception)... Bilic needs at least another season.

Crazy post.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2020, 06:38:10 PM »
3 votes for Bilic out so far, including 1 of them in error. So that's 1.7% who think he should go and 98.3% who voted for him to stay. Just goes to show how much of an outlier the views of Partisan Baggie and Johnny Cash are, essentially nobody else agrees with them - as I suspected. Their position is a statistical irrelevance. Despite starting the thread I can't disagree with all of those calling it an embarrassment, I've felt that way about the whole discussion and constant drum-beat in particular from PB calling for Bilic's head for a while.

Canmore Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2020, 06:49:05 PM »
Glad that over 98% of those bothering to vote think sacking him would be daft.

Slav has made questionable decisions here and there for sure, but Pep has made a few in his time as well, and for the most part SB's tactical changes have worked out well.

Chances are we are in for a tough year in the Prem, and we might come down again, but I would much rather see Slav kept however next year goes, because his experience this year will be invaluable to us in the worst case. PLUS, he has reconnected the club with the fans in a way that we haven't see in years. Can't underestimate how important that will be next year.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2020, 06:54:31 PM »
Embarrassing to even suggest sacking him. I'm glad the Internet wasn't around pre Megson days

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2020, 07:18:32 PM »
3 people want the bloke who just got up promoted without a decent striker sacked...

Some people are definitely still wired from the Class A's last night.  ::)

You just couldn't make it up could you.  :-X

Brooklynbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2020, 07:20:00 PM »
I can’t believe this is even a question.
He’s just got us promotion!!!
Everyone should be behind the guy.
In addition if it wasn’t for him we probably wouldn’t have some of the names we have or mentioned in the same sentence as a lot of other players.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2020, 07:38:48 PM »
baggies82 is absolutely correct, we did agree to a poll once our season was over. Very simple really, is Slaven Bilic the right person to take the club forward?

There are many different variables that can be taken into account when making your decision, which I totally appreciate. What I’d say though is take your personal feelings out of the equation and try and answer the pole objectively.

Are we as a club going to pick up enough points next season to stay in the Premier League with Slaven Bilic as manager...?

Firstly I do not agree with you at all on your observations of

Many thanks to all who partake in the poll 👍🏻

I do not agree with your views on our manager. I do respect your opinion and your post.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2020, 07:54:33 PM »
3 votes for Bilic out so far, including 1 of them in error. So that's 1.7% who think he should go and 98.3% who voted for him to stay. Just goes to show how much of an outlier the views of Partisan Baggie and Johnny Cash are, essentially nobody else agrees with them - as I suspected. Their position is a statistical irrelevance. Despite starting the thread I can't disagree with all of those calling it an embarrassment, I've felt that way about the whole discussion and constant drum-beat in particular from PB calling for Bilic's head for a while.

It’s been interesting reading the comments posted in this thread.

I don’t mind belonging to a tiny minority. I’m a lifelong Albion fan born and bred in Wolverhampton. I’m used to it 🤪

My position regarding Slaven Bilic remains unchanged. I’m grateful he’s led the Albion back into the top flight. But that’s as far as it goes for me.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2020, 07:59:52 PM »
Just out of interest, have the two that want him sacked identified themselves on the this thread apart from their vote?

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2020, 08:00:07 PM »
I’ve been referenced in the opening post, and may shock some people with my answer.

I don’t think we should sack him.

Don’t mistake that with me changing my mind on him. I don’t rate him. I don’t think it’ll go the way we all hope. I think his issues will be as much a problem for us next year as our limited squad will be.  However Sacking him now would quite possibly do more bad than good. We probably don’t need the upheaval or public scorn we would get. To some extent my feelings are the bed is made and we need to lie in it.

The gun was loaded for me though and had we not some how got over the line,, I’d have pulled the trigger.

I’m certain some people are fickle though, and there would have been far more calling for it if we had failed. Which we very easily could have with a very minor change in fortunes. For some that would justify changing their mind, but for me Id hope I’m never Just one result away from such a swing in opinion. Those fans that’s are so easily swung one way or the other are those that I fine baffling, not those who may just have a different opinion.

It’s also curious how it’s ok to judge players. I’ve seen sell, pay off, loan out etc about some of our sqaud. . Those players also had a job and did it but they aren’t off limits? So why should questioning Bilic be. We don’t all have to rate him.

Some of the ‘offence’ taken that a couple of us dare question a bloke who nearly crashed the train is odd.