Author Topic: Championship  (Read 6788 times)

Manc Baggie

• Junior Baggie

Re: Championship
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 01:55:24 PM »
The difference in quality between the top of the championship & the bottom of the premier is immense. Without significant investment in genuine quality players, loads of luck & some fair referee's, each of the promoted sides will unfortunately struggle to survive next season.
The championship is a very tough league to get out of, but that's due to it having more teams & therefore games to play against reletively similar quality opposition each week. The old saying of anybody can beat anybody is true for a reason.
Its definitely all about consistency to get out of this league (or any other for that matter) The fact that we were pretty poor for most of the season (just re-read the match day/after match threads for proof) & still got this close to the final or even automatic promotion, tells you all you need to know about the quality of the league.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 02:43:21 PM »
The difference in quality between the top of the championship & the bottom of the premier is immense. Without significant investment in genuine quality players, loads of luck & some fair referee's, each of the promoted sides will unfortunately struggle to survive next season.
The championship is a very tough league to get out of, but that's due to it having more teams & therefore games to play against reletively similar quality opposition each week. The old saying of anybody can beat anybody is true for a reason.
Its definitely all about consistency to get out of this league (or any other for that matter) The fact that we were pretty poor for most of the season (just re-read the match day/after match threads for proof) & still got this close to the final or even automatic promotion, tells you all you need to know about the quality of the league.

We would have got automatic if we still had Harvey Barnes.  Our side at the start of the season when we were beating QPR 7-1, Bristol City 4-2, Leeds 4-1, Reading 4-1. winning away at Norwich, Sheff Utd and Villa, was easily the best team in the division.

So from battering teams at home, beating the two promoted teams at their place and also beating one of the play off finalists at their place, we are classed as a poor team.

Sometimes I wonder what some of you Albion fans expect.

I don't care what anyone says we are still the 4th best team in this league, the table never lies. If we had kept hold of Harvey Barnes we would probably be the best team.

Its about time Albion fans carry the spirit of last night onward and support the club and stop running them down.  Those players and the supporters that were there gave everything last night.  But the football gods were not on our side.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 02:54:20 PM »
We would have got automatic if we still had Harvey Barnes.  Our side at the start of the season when we were beating QPR 7-1, Bristol City 4-2, Leeds 4-1, Reading 4-1. winning away at Norwich, Sheff Utd and Villa, was easily the best team in the division.

So from battering teams at home, beating the two promoted teams at their place and also beating one of the play off finalists at their place, we are classed as a poor team.

I don't care what anyone says we are still the 4th best team in this league, the table never lies. If we had kept hold of Harvey Barnes we would probably be the best team.

Its about time Albion fans carry the spirit of last night onward and support the club and stop running them down.  Those players and the supporters that were there gave everything last night.  But the football gods were not on our side.

But we did't, we also failed to keep Phillips fit. Instead we replaced them with Murphy, Monetero neither of them a patch on who they were replacing and sacked Moore because he was not given the tools for the job. This season's failure rests with the board no one else.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 03:16:25 PM »

We were still only 4th when Barnes left and had lost to Bolton, Boro, Hull, Derby, Blackburn and Wigan. Most of the wins you mention came with unconvincing performances. I think I read a stat the other day that said our record without Barnes was better than with. Great player granted.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 03:25:56 PM »
But we did't, we also failed to keep Phillips fit. Instead we replaced them with Murphy, Monetero neither of them a patch on who they were replacing and sacked Moore because he was not given the tools for the job. This season's failure rests with the board no one else.

So you were happy with DM and GJ insisting on us playing out from the back even when not safe to do so? That's the main reason we didn't finish in the top 2

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 03:34:12 PM »
The amount of points we squandered by playing out from the back was ridiculous. For DM to come out and say it's part of the process was nuts. We stuck with DM for way too long, ultimately that cost us.

Manc Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 03:48:09 PM »

Cool, I'm glad you cleared that up.
Instead of a season ticket, next year I will get a prayer mat.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 03:53:20 PM »
We were still only 4th when Barnes left and had lost to Bolton, Boro, Hull, Derby, Blackburn and Wigan. Most of the wins you mention came with unconvincing performances. I think I read a stat the other day that said our record without Barnes was better than with. Great player granted.

Unbelievable.  I cannot understand where the albion fans thinking comes from.

Name me a side this season that has gone through the whole season not losing a match !!!!

Unconvincing performances but we were still the 2nd highest scorers in the division !!!

Harvey Barnes was the best player in the championship. 

Perhaps its this negative thinking from some of the fans, I do say some because not all think like that way, that has communicated to the players on the pitch.

I am sure if we were in Man City's position we would still have fans moaning, because that's the nature of the beast !!!

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 10:31:39 AM »
Unbelievable.  I cannot understand where the albion fans thinking comes from.

Name me a side this season that has gone through the whole season not losing a match !!!!

Unconvincing performances but we were still the 2nd highest scorers in the division !!!

Harvey Barnes was the best player in the championship. 

Perhaps its this negative thinking from some of the fans, I do say some because not all think like that way, that has communicated to the players on the pitch.

I am sure if we were in Man City's position we would still have fans moaning, because that's the nature of the beast !!!

I'm not even sure he was the best player we had during his loan, for me that was Phillips before his injury.

A lot of people felt we would implode following Barnes' departure but I thought we would adapt and not miss his absence too much. The stats bear this out.

We had a 1.7 points per game average with Barnes and a 1.7 ppg average after he had left.

We scored 46 in 26 matches while Barnes was here and 33 in 20 after he had left. The average dropped only slightly following Barnes' departure but considering this also coincided with the injury to Phillips so I would say we managed very well without him.

What let us down all season was our poor defensive record. To keep so few clean sheets with the personnel that we had in the squad is downright criminal. The blame for this lies squarely with Moore and Jones and their decision to adopt the tactic of playing out from the back and their subsequent stubborn refusal to move away from this when it was obvious to everyone that it was often proving disastrous.

I would also add that Moore made an error by not giving game time to some of the younger players, especially in the early stages of the season. Harper and Field should have been given chances in the middle instead of Brunt and I would have liked to have seen Edwards and Tulloch given opportunities off the bench in the first half of the season.

Ultimately however the blame goes back to the board for appointing Moore in the first place when we should have moved for a more experienced manager. If they had done that then I'm convinced we would have finished in the top 2 this season.