Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 443956 times)

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1900 on: August 03, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »
Yes great news for me as well, welcome (again) James!

Always gets my full support just for "havin a word" with Sado!!  :D

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1901 on: August 03, 2018, 10:10:44 AM »
Well happy with that, he just needs to stay fit, if he does he will be brilliant for us in this league
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1902 on: August 03, 2018, 10:13:35 AM »
Not a massive fan of late, but not complaining if he's fully fit. He will get more time on the ball in this league and could be a class above.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1903 on: August 03, 2018, 10:27:51 AM »
Really pleased that he has signed, don't have an issue with him having the extra year in his favour.  He's proved his fitness in pre season ad that was what we are told he was asked to do.

According to various sources we are still looking to sign another midfielder, as well as a defender and striker so maybe the midfielder will be signed to challenge Morrison? We have Chadli and even Rodriguez that can play in the No 10 role too.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:29:43 AM by Hull Baggie »

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1904 on: August 03, 2018, 10:41:42 AM »
Glad he's staying as it's so late in the day - but not at all impressed with the extra year in his favour. With his injury record that is a poor arrangement from the clubs point of view.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1905 on: August 03, 2018, 10:45:52 AM »
Don't have a problem with him staying but hoped that the deal would be weighed more in our favour after the past couple of years and hope the wages are more appearance related than high basic but doubt that as well.

Hope it doesn't bite us on the ass

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1906 on: August 03, 2018, 10:46:30 AM »
If our front four somehow actually ends up being;

Rondon

Philips Chadli JRod

with Morrison, Burke & Brunt available to throw on, then we should rump this league.

Only time will tell

Phillips needs subbing after about an hour of every game he has no stamina. Barnes has to be in there, J Rod is not effective out wide and Chadli .......... well we all know the problems with Chadli.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1907 on: August 03, 2018, 10:56:36 AM »
Don't have a problem with him staying but hoped that the deal would be weighed more in our favour after the past couple of years and hope the wages are more appearance related than high basic but doubt that as well.

Hope it doesn't bite us on the ass

Its a risk, but he is true Premier League quality at his best and he knows the Championship, on balance, worth the financial risk, could flourish again with more attack minded players around him.
Baggie in Southampton

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1908 on: August 03, 2018, 10:58:52 AM »
Its a risk, but he is true Premier League quality at his best and he knows the Championship, on balance, worth the financial risk, could flourish again with more attack minded players around him.

At his best which has been very inconsistent over the past few years when he has been fit. I hope he does set the Championship on fire but I have we have also protected ourselves in the contract in case of a repeat of long tern injury issues.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1909 on: August 03, 2018, 11:00:22 AM »
One year plus another year in his favour with no mention of any fitness-related clauses. I'm very disappointed by that, we've set ourselves up for a fall.

Some people are desperate for him to stay because we have no-one else to perform the role he does. I regard that as being down to deficiencies in the squad rather than Morrison being Corberan. Let's hope he's able to be a lot more consistent in this league than he was in the Premiership.

Or alternatively, bought ourselves a bit of time.

Depends on what happens with Chadli now, if he goes, pretty sure there are targets to replace him.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1910 on: August 03, 2018, 11:01:01 AM »
I’m pleased with this and hope Jimmy can stay injury free, if he does, he and we will do well this season
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1911 on: August 03, 2018, 11:07:11 AM »
One year plus another year in his favour with no mention of any fitness-related clauses. I'm very disappointed by that, we've set ourselves up for a fall.

Some people are desperate for him to stay because we have no-one else to perform the role he does. I regard that as being down to deficiencies in the squad rather than Morrison being Corberan. Let's hope he's able to be a lot more consistent in this league than he was in the Premiership.

I think the club have protected themselves somewhat by adding 'in his favour' clause.
That would suggest that it's performance related, and he has to get on the pitch enough times to activate the second year of his contract.
Weigh that up against what we spunked up the wall on Sturridge and Greg last season I think we done a good deal if he stays fit and performs.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1912 on: August 03, 2018, 11:13:54 AM »
The right decision for me.

People talk about him playing as a number 10, and from that I take they mean "playing behind a striker", but I think he performs more than just that role. While the likes of Chadli, Rodriguez and maybe also Barnes could potentially fill that role, none of them from what i've seen so far can play slightly deeper and fulfill the role of the creative central point of play.

Morrison is quite honestly the only player on our books who can play in a position in front of our defensive midfielders (of which we have loads), and not only link up with the strikers and wingers, but can put his foot on the ball, as we try to get through a defensive side, and find that killer pass that unlocks the opposition.

We missed him badly this year and have struggled without him in previous years, instead being like England and relying on counter attacks and set pieces. With that trend seeming to continue and Moore/transfer decision makers failing to see the gaping hole there that has been obvious for a few years, it was crucial we re signed Morrison and that he stays fully fit.

Last promotion, both Mozza and Dorrans, the time before we had Mozza, Koren and Texeira, the time before that we had Koumas and Sakiri. Now, it's all on Mozza.
Boing Boing

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1913 on: August 03, 2018, 02:44:41 PM »

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1914 on: August 03, 2018, 03:01:38 PM »
"can't believe that he's suddenly fit enough to play pre-season seeing as he's been out all year.  I'm a bit suspicious about it"

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1915 on: August 03, 2018, 03:03:16 PM »
"can't believe that he's suddenly fit enough to play pre-season seeing as he's been out all year.  I'm a bit suspicious about it"

why?

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1916 on: August 03, 2018, 03:04:36 PM »
He’s trained all summer to get himself fit
Most important signing for me well pleased

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1917 on: August 03, 2018, 03:20:08 PM »
why?
is take a wild swing that it’s sarcasm, everyone seems more than happy to accept mozza was injured but repeatedly slate Chadli for being injured.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1918 on: August 06, 2018, 08:18:33 AM »
Most people on here seem to think that Jimmy is our saviour. I am sorry to disagree but he and Brunt should be fringe players occupying the bench at best. We are going nowhere in a forward direction until this is addressed.
Are we really trying to build a new team,? or just trying to bodge together a group that can try for promotion, and leave us in the mire if we manage to achieve it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 08:22:37 AM by iwastherein68 »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1919 on: August 06, 2018, 08:33:46 AM »
Most people on here seem to think that Jimmy is our saviour. I am sorry to disagree but he and Brunt should be fringe players occupying the bench at best. We are going nowhere in a forward direction until this is addressed.
Are we really trying to build a new team,? or just trying to bodge together a group that can try for promotion, and leave us in the mire if we manage to achieve it.
he won't save us sitting on the subs bench that I do know, we've had 10 years of good service from both Brunt & Morrison but now is the time to have their replacements at the club. they won't last forever.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1920 on: August 06, 2018, 09:21:58 AM »

He's not our saviour but he is the type of player we need and don't have without him with the exception of Chadli and he's not available for selection at the moment. Whether he ever will be again is anyone's guess.

I cannot understand why the club don't bust a gut to get Maddison from Peterborough.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1921 on: August 06, 2018, 09:33:38 AM »
You have got to chuckle. we are still crying out for him to come on, how many fooballers have come and gone since
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1922 on: August 06, 2018, 10:09:42 AM »

Yes he and Brunt have been too long at the club and really should have beeen replaced 2 or 3 years ago, particularly JM.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1923 on: September 17, 2018, 12:05:38 PM »
Late fitness test tomorrow on yet another injury.
I think the time has come now, even Jimmy must recognise this
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1924 on: September 17, 2018, 06:59:24 PM »
Late fitness test tomorrow on yet another injury.
I think the time has come now, even Jimmy must recognise this
But he's at the start of a 1 year deal plus another in his favour contract. Still find it hard to fathom how he got the second year in his favour. What odds on him starting a total of 20 games over that period ?