Author Topic: Alan Pardew  (Read 646149 times)

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Alan Pardew
« Reply #2650 on: April 04, 2018, 04:08:39 PM »
Can't we close this down now,I reckon we've all had our say on how useless he was,its a stain on this site to keep it going.
Get rid please can't even stand his name now.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2651 on: April 04, 2018, 07:18:17 PM »
Although he wasn't my first choice, I was happy to give him a chance mainly because he said all the right things in the press conferences and seemed to make a complete break with the football Pulis offered. He had some bad luck with injuries and I genuinely thought he was going to turn it around when everyone was fit. During the 16 minutes Chadli came on against Stoke I genuinely thought our season was changing.

In the end, I think it was his inability to motivate the players which let him down. I still think we have a squad of players which were good enough to stay up, even with the injuries, but the mark of a good manager is to be able to improve, or at least get the best out of a group of players. That's what let Pardew down. 

If we tried to replace him with Silva, who turned us down, I can understand the board sticking with him. The fact they have now gone with Darren Moore proves the point that there was nobody available to take the job.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:24:33 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2652 on: April 04, 2018, 07:53:03 PM »
Ahhh!  saturday night on the white lightening and MD20-20, where did it all go wrong ???

Anyone remember Breaker and white lightening snake bites??

Oops, off topic, anyway back on Pardew, I'm sorry ok, please forgive me.  ???
Breaker, my God there was a brain fryer.  Could have done with some the last few weeks.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2653 on: April 04, 2018, 08:08:53 PM »
Although he wasn't my first choice, I was happy to give him a chance mainly because he said all the right things in the press conferences and seemed to make a complete break with the football Pulis offered. He had some bad luck with injuries and I genuinely thought he was going to turn it around when everyone was fit. During the 16 minutes Chadli came on against Stoke I genuinely thought our season was changing.

In the end, I think it was his inability to motivate the players which let him down. I still think we have a squad of players which were good enough to stay up, even with the injuries, but the mark of a good manager is to be able to improve, or at least get the best out of a group of players. That's what let Pardew down. 

If we tried to replace him with Silva, who turned us down, I can understand the board sticking with him. The fact they have now gone with Darren Moore proves the point that there was nobody available to take the job.

IMO, there's a lot of mileage in the last sentence. I don't think the idealistic replacement candidate will be that easy to get.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2654 on: May 05, 2018, 07:55:57 PM »
The best and only thing Pardew did for us was to promote Darren Moore, thank you Alan :P
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2655 on: May 05, 2018, 08:24:14 PM »
The man is an embarrassment. The sole reason we are where we are.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2656 on: May 05, 2018, 11:28:35 PM »
The man is an embarrassment. The sole reason we are where we are.

Not really true though is it? Had we not been so poor under Pulis, he wouldn’t have got the bullet and Pardew wouldn’t have been appointed.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2657 on: May 06, 2018, 12:55:34 AM »
Not really true though is it? Had we not been so poor under Pulis, he wouldn’t have got the bullet and Pardew wouldn’t have been appointed.

It is true. Pulis' stats were borderline relegation form, Pardew's were terminal.

mig

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2658 on: May 06, 2018, 01:32:36 AM »
The rut with Pulis set in around February of last year. Look at stats since then and there's no borderline about it, we were almost dead certs for relegation under him. The mistakes were 1) giving Pulis a new contract in the Summer, and 2) hiring Pardew.

Both deserve relegation on their CV for this season, and yet instead Moore will get it despite comfortably outclassing both of them.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2659 on: May 06, 2018, 01:36:31 AM »
The rut with Pulis set in around February of last year. Look at stats since then and there's no borderline about it, we were almost dead certs for relegation under him. The mistakes were 1) giving Pulis a new contract in the Summer, and 2) hiring Pardew.

Both deserve relegation on their CV for this season, and yet instead Moore will get it despite comfortably outclassing both of them.

Last season has absolutely no bearing on this seasons results. We finished tenth, Pulis would have seen us safe, Moore would have seen us safe with 3 extra games, he still might...

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2660 on: May 06, 2018, 01:50:54 AM »

Last season has absolutely no bearing on this seasons results. We finished tenth, Pulis would have seen us safe, Moore would have seen us safe with 3 extra games, he still might...

If the club grew a pair sooner than they did, based on his results from last season he wouldn't have even started this season.

Both as bad as each other, how anyone can defend either one of them is comical.

Him and Pardew are both a pair of clueless tools who shouldn't be near a premier league club.... they both have records with us to clarify that.

mig

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2661 on: May 06, 2018, 01:56:50 AM »
I agree on Moore - even one more game and he might have had us safe, but let's continue to pray and maybe the miracle we need will take place.

As for one season having no bearing on the next, I'd argue that the correlation in form suggests otherwise. Have also seen it happen before - Hull had an awful second half to the season the year before they went down, and even ourselves under Steve Clarke. Think we were 4th in early December, then finished a distant 8th and only because of a lack of quality below us. The team then just couldn't get going the following season which resulted in his dismissal.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2662 on: May 06, 2018, 07:20:37 AM »
The bloke should be hanging his head in shame this morning along with his incompetent assistant Carver,

My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2663 on: May 06, 2018, 08:02:36 AM »
I agree on Moore - even one more game and he might have had us safe, but let's continue to pray and maybe the miracle we need will take place.

As for one season having no bearing on the next, I'd argue that the correlation in form suggests otherwise. Have also seen it happen before - Hull had an awful second half to the season the year before they went down, and even ourselves under Steve Clarke. Think we were 4th in early December, then finished a distant 8th and only because of a lack of quality below us. The team then just couldn't get going the following season which resulted in his dismissal.

A number of years ago I was in a Poker Tournament in Brighton on a table with a number of winning Sports Bettors including current Brighton chairman Tony Bloom the chat turned to value in football markets. Among one or two gems including always oppose England in tournaments looking at the worst performing team over the last 12 games for relegation the following season.

The rationale is that the promoted teams are nearly always too short and generally at least one survives, the trick is to spot the "established team" that might unexpectedly struggle the odds will be relatively good because punters tend to overlook last seasons form particularly if a team's finishing position is a relatively comfortable one, it might not be indicative of an underlying problems but when it is the bet is generally a good one.

With regard to Pardew he was a disaster but Pulis was barely any better. Our main problem under Pulis was a complete lack of offensive punch and zero ability to transition from deep sitting block to attack through the midfield.

Pardew didn't fix the offensive issues but his attempts to do so undermined the effectiveness of the rearguard and things fell to pieces. This allowed Darren Moore the opportunity to follow the classic firefighting formula of getting organised drill shape and take it from there to some extent Pardew's mess was easier to fix than Pulis' mess.

I would argue in spite of Darren overachieving we still have the inherent problems of Pulisball. Ideally the new coach needs to spend the summer working on passing drills until passing and moving becomes second nature.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2664 on: May 06, 2018, 08:19:00 AM »
I think Moore has just highlighted how badly Pardew read the situation with trying to change our style to appease the fans. Once Chadli and Sturridge we’re both out, joining Morrison, I think we needed to go back to basics and Moore has shown that works.

Pardew was some sort of idealist but completely clueless in making that transition from basic to expansive.

If only we pulled the trigger when us fans calling for it.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2665 on: May 08, 2018, 09:45:43 AM »
From twitter (so take as unproven)... During the 19-game period in which Alan Pardew was not the West Brom manager this season, they are in the top half.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2666 on: May 08, 2018, 10:25:45 AM »
From twitter (so take as unproven)... During the 19-game period in which Alan Pardew was not the West Brom manager this season, they are in the top half.

That stat was quoted on Irish radio to demonstrate how much a mistake it was to let go of Pulis. I.e. Pulis contributed to that top half form.

Under Moore we are comfortable Champions League form.
Moore and Megson give us a comfortable Europa League place.
Pulis form would have us battling against relegation dragging the other results down but still getting into top half combined with our non Pardew managers.

Obviously we all know this but wasn't wasting 20 pence texting the radio station. So will rant here.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2667 on: May 08, 2018, 08:02:14 PM »
At the time it was the right decision to sack Pulis. I don't think we'd be in a worse position that we are now (points wise) if we'd have kept him.  The big mistake was appointing Pardew and then compounding it by mot getting rid of him early enough.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2668 on: May 08, 2018, 11:02:06 PM »
Should give that 500k payoff to charity. The man's a disgrace. Sincerely hope he never gets employed again.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2669 on: May 08, 2018, 11:08:29 PM »
Should have gone after the league to defeat to Southampton

Jenkins is a bottle job.  We had a chance to save ourselves and we blew it.

I would love to know the reasons why Williams saw fit to give him the job
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2670 on: May 09, 2018, 08:41:33 AM »
Pardew is one of the worst managers I've seen at Albion and I've seen some sh1te. In hindsight , he should have gone at least 3 or 4 games earlier. There was simply no signs of Pardew turning it around.

However , you can't let off experienced players who just gave up end of last season and for most of this. That was a disgrace too . Unfortunately some of them will be rewarded with new contracts at other clubs in the premier league. How Pardew walked off with any payout is beyond belief really and underlines how rubbish our football club was this year

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2671 on: May 09, 2018, 08:54:55 AM »
I would love to know the reasons why Williams saw fit to give him the job

Where do you start?

1) No one else wanted it.
2) He was available without having to pay any compensation.
3) He was mates with Hammond.
4) Williams wanted a British manager with PL experience, none of that foreign muck.

The whole process was weak from start to finish. They were too weak to give Pulis his marching orders in the summer, they were then too weak to sack him earlier in the season, they were weak enough to cave into the pressure from fans and sack him in the midst of an important run of games and bottled admitting defeat with Pardew and sacking him after the Southampton defeat.

This is the set up that has given us Steve Clarke, Pepe Mel, Alan Irvine, Tony Pulis and then Alan Pardew. I hope they give it to Big Dave because otherwise I'm terrified we'll end up with Owen Coyle.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2672 on: May 09, 2018, 10:03:00 AM »
Where do you start?

1) No one else wanted it.
2) He was available without having to pay any compensation.
3) He was mates with Hammond.
4) Williams wanted a British manager with PL experience, none of that foreign muck.

The whole process was weak from start to finish. They were too weak to give Pulis his marching orders in the summer, they were then too weak to sack him earlier in the season, they were weak enough to cave into the pressure from fans and sack him in the midst of an important run of games and bottled admitting defeat with Pardew and sacking him after the Southampton defeat.

This is the set up that has given us Steve Clarke, Pepe Mel, Alan Irvine, Tony Pulis and then Alan Pardew. I hope they give it to Big Dave because otherwise I'm terrified we'll end up with Owen Coyle.

Every word of that, Dave. Especially the last sentence!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

mrmojorisin

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2673 on: May 09, 2018, 11:15:29 AM »
I think that there should be a statue of Pardew erected at the club.

The pigeons can rubbish on it and it will serve to every future manager as a reminder of how not to do things.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2674 on: May 10, 2018, 06:28:31 PM »
Please, please footballing Gods, let this be!

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-manager-odds-pardew-14640507

Sorry Swansea fans, but we will need all the help we can get for a swift return to the PL and this helps!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.