Author Topic: Alan Pardew  (Read 638921 times)

The Fish

• WBA Newbie

Re: Alan Pardew
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2017, 03:58:48 PM »
Offered? He signed it I do believe, though this was driven by Ashley as opposed to it being anything to do with their fans

Yeah, make no mistake, none of us would have offered him an 8yr deal, even at the time which was just after fluking 5th.

Appreciate what you are saying Fish, but you have never been managed by Pulis, so its all good at the moment for some of us!

Nope, never managed by big Tone, but we have been managed by;

McClaren
Carver
Pardew
Kinnear
Shearer
Allardyce
Roeder
Souness
Gullit
Ardiles

We're well acquainted with bad managers. Bad managers who play bad football. Bad managers who play bad football, buy bad players and blame the fans.

I genuinely hope West Brom stay up, always got on with your fans more than fans of some other Brummy clubs. Just hope Pardew's troughs come at an opportune time.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2017, 04:03:18 PM »
Yeah, make no mistake, none of us would have offered him an 8yr deal, even at the time which was just after fluking 5th.

Nope, never managed by big Tone, but we have been managed by;

McClaren
Carver
Pardew
Kinnear
Shearer
Allardyce
Roeder
Souness
Gullit
Ardiles

We're well acquainted with bad managers. Bad managers who play bad football. Bad managers who play bad football, buy bad players and blame the fans.

I genuinely hope West Brom stay up, always got on with your fans more than fans of some other Brummy clubs. Just hope Pardew's troughs come at an opportune time.

Well you really are a barrel of fun Fish!..........top support from your boys last night BTW.
MAGA!

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2017, 04:24:41 PM »
Well you really are a barrel of fun Fish!..........top support from your boys last night BTW.

Yes, brought back bad memories of us being stuffed 3-0 in the cup in 1974. The place was heaving with NUFC fans. (its on youtube).

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2017, 04:35:26 PM »
came a cross very well today and is impressed by squad of players at his disposal. not my first choice but starting to warm to pards looks like he thinks he`s got something to prove. :)

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2017, 04:40:30 PM »
I do hope he makes more use of Brunt and Burke, and I think he will.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2017, 04:47:17 PM »
Think we might see some exciting signings as well.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2017, 04:55:27 PM »
Welcome and good luck.

It might not be the most inspiring choice but it is pragmatic and what we need after Pulis.

I think he'll do a decent job and I'll be amazed if we don't see a much more attacking style of play and the positive results that trying to win games can bring.

I would have preferred an end of season or 18month contract but 30 months isn't the end of the world as contracts are pretty much pointless these days.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2017, 05:02:09 PM »
Is his press conference available anywhere, can't find it.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2017, 05:08:46 PM »
Just summing up my perception of the overall feeling is that "It was not my first choice but I back him" I am happy enough with him but anyone that is not Pulis is an upgrade even though I am  thankful for what Pulis did in general.
Gera, Gera, Gera

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2017, 05:09:50 PM »
Didn't want him here know so I will get behind him and hope he does well, because if he does well the Albion do well that's all I care about! Welcome Alan

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2017, 05:20:41 PM »
Welcome to the club Alan.  8)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2017, 05:24:41 PM »
Thought he would have been given some club gear for the press conference

elminius

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2017, 05:27:10 PM »
Thought he would have been given some club gear for the press conference

Pulis took it all with him!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2017, 05:29:56 PM »
And his first games a must win!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2017, 05:30:27 PM »
He's here now, not my first choice but lets see what he can do before ripping him a new one
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2017, 05:34:15 PM »
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/west-brom-video/2017/11/29/alan-pardew-watch-his-first-press-conference-in-charge-of-west-brom---video/

Comes across well.

Thanks for that, enjoyable watch. He comes across as very erudite and well spoken. As with most new appointments he's saying all the right things but it's nice to have somebody a bit less bolshy than Pulis.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2017, 06:25:59 PM »
There's quite a lot of negativity regarding Pardew's appointment, but I can't talk given the way I reacted to both Irvine and Pulis. I'm inclined to repost and edit/expand what I said last night in the now locked New Manager thread:

We need a new broom and I wouldn't be disappointed if all of the Pulis-era coaching staff leave. The players need different voices, fresh ideas and new tactics. Pardew isn't my choice, I'd rather we'd gone for someone young, hungry and talented, but the Board was obviously given a remit by Mr Lai and regarded Pardew as the best available option. No doubt there will be plenty of Albion fans who are underwhelmed by this appointment, but consider the following:
  • The 11 months since he left Palace is the longest period he's been out of football for. Therefore, he's had plenty of time to ponder why things have ended up going so pear-shaped in his previous job. He might also have learned that he needs to calm down a bit in the heat of the moment!
  • After a very poor end to his tenure at Palace, he knows that he could be finished at this level if things go badly with us.
  • Similarly, if he does harbour any ambitions to be the England manager in the future, he has to do a good job with us.
  • He got Newcastle into Europe after they finished 5th in 2011-12 and has reached 2 FA Cup finals.
  • He's the only English manager to win both the Premier League Manager of the Season award and the League Managers Association Manager of the Year award in the same Premier League season.
  • When he took over at Palace in Jan 2015, he guided them out of the relegation zone to finish 10th - their highest Premier League finish.
  • He is undeniably attack-minded; this will be a very welcome change for us!
  • In many ways he's an antithesis to Pulis, but he's achieved more than Pulis over the years and also has a higher win percentage.
  • He wants to come to us - several others who also fit Lai's remit seemingly didn't want to know.
  • It won't be dull!!  :P
Although The Fish doesn't seem to be impressed at the 5th place finish Pardew achieved at Newcastle, they don't look like repeating it any time soon, so it's not to be sniffed at. Yes the wheels came off afterwards, but that happens with lots of managers and I'm sure Pardew is very conscious of the bad runs he's had in his career. If the Board was doing its job, the panel would have asked him in his interview about the bad spells he's had and the reasons for them.

Carver was his assistant at Newcastle, where Pardew had the most success apart from his much shorter stint at Southampton, and I'm sure Pardew chose the person as his assistant who he thinks he can forge the best partnership with.

So, whilst Pardew wasn't my choice, I would urge everyone to put aside their prejudices about him and judge him on what he does during his time with us, rather than writing him off at the outset.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:29:43 PM by WorcsWBA »

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2017, 06:46:59 PM »
I 100% agree with Worcs.

He's not who i wanted, but he gets a fairly clean slate from me and i obviously wish him well.

If it only works for 18 month or so then so be it.

I think he'll keep us up through us actually scoring and with Ben in goal and Johnny in defence a clean sheet is always doable.

I'm looking forward to actually scoring goals for once!
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2017, 06:50:29 PM »
There's quite a lot of negativity regarding Pardew's appointment, but I can't talk given the way I reacted to both Irvine and Pulis. I'm inclined to repost and edit/expand what I said last night in the now locked New Manager thread:

We need a new broom and I wouldn't be disappointed if all of the Pulis-era coaching staff leave. The players need different voices, fresh ideas and new tactics. Pardew isn't my choice, I'd rather we'd gone for someone young, hungry and talented, but the Board was obviously given a remit by Mr Lai and regarded Pardew as the best available option. No doubt there will be plenty of Albion fans who are underwhelmed by this appointment, but consider the following:
  • The 11 months since he left Palace is the longest period he's been out of football for. Therefore, he's had plenty of time to ponder why things have ended up going so pear-shaped in his previous job. He might also have learned that he needs to calm down a bit in the heat of the moment!
  • After a very poor end to his tenure at Palace, he knows that he could be finished at this level if things go badly with us.
  • Similarly, if he does harbour any ambitions to be the England manager in the future, he has to do a good job with us.
  • He got Newcastle into Europe after they finished 5th in 2011-12 and has reached 2 FA Cup finals.
  • He's the only English manager to win both the Premier League Manager of the Season award and the League Managers Association Manager of the Year award in the same Premier League season.
  • When he took over at Palace in Jan 2015, he guided them out of the relegation zone to finish 10th - their highest Premier League finish.
  • In many ways he's an antithesis to Pulis, but he's achieved more than Pulis over the years and also has a higher win percentage.
  • He wants to come to us - several others who also fit Lai's remit seemingly didn't want to know.
Although The Fish doesn't seem to be impressed at the 5th place finish Pardew achieved at Newcastle, they don't look like repeating it any time soon, so it's not to be sniffed at. Yes the wheels came off afterwards, but that happens with lots of managers and I'm sure Pardew is very conscious of the bad runs he's had in his career. If the Board was doing its job, the panel would have asked him in his interview about the bad spells he's had and the reasons for them.

Carver was his assistant at Newcastle, where Pardew had the most success apart from his much shorter stint at Southampton, and I'm sure Pardew chose the person as his assistant who he thinks he can forge the best partnership with.

So, whilst Pardew's wasn't my choice, I would urge everyone to put aside their prejudices about him and judge him on what he does during his time with us, rather than writing him off at the outset.

That all reasonable and quite fair Welcome to the club Alan I hope you're successful

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2017, 06:57:53 PM »

So, whilst Pardew's wasn't my choice, I would urge everyone to put aside their prejudices about him and judge him on what he does during his time with us, rather than writing him off at the outset.

excellent post mate, I agree with most of this

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2017, 07:04:18 PM »
Welcome Alan.

I'm not as opposed to ol' Pards as many on here. New broom an all that.
I'm genuinely excited at the prospect of going to games home & away, where we're actually looking to get on the ball, with a view to keeping it & score goals from open play. What a refreshing change that'll be. Listen to Talksport quite often, and former players like Matt Holland/Joey Barton (yes, I know he's a tool, but says what he thinks), have both praised the guy, saying he's a good man manager & he'll be a good appointment.
As someone that grew up watching an entertaining Albion, I've struggled these last couple of years (but still renewed mine & both my boys season tickets), I can at last start looking forward to games again!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2017, 07:21:46 PM »
Was he my first choice ? No
Do I think there is a slight stench of cheap option ? Yes

But saying that i'll back him like I have others and give him a chance, he's here nowt we can do about it and I hope it works out better for him here than anywhere he has been before and he takes up on a few trips we've not seen for a few years.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2017, 07:24:07 PM »
Welcome Alan. It's a big appointment for both of us. Him to reclaim his reputation as a decent premier league manager and us to show we are not here to just make up the numbers by parking the bus.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2017, 08:07:01 PM »
Welcome Alan, no faffin about, just start winning ffs :D