Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 283083 times)

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #775 on: January 25, 2019, 06:13:15 AM »
Burke quoted in local media saying he is happy at Celtic and is ‘now ready to give his all’. Maybe that was the problem - he was only willing to work hard enough if his place was already given to him rather than work hard to break into the team. I don’t like that quote.

Still, good luck to him. But two goals against the worst team in the league does not mean that he walks into our first team. JRod and Gayle would have scored six each!

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #776 on: January 25, 2019, 09:02:08 AM »
I'm glad Olly Burke has gone to Celtic, he simply has to have 1st team football at his age.

I still say we have too many players on the books and that's compounded problems.  We added Sako, Mears, Hoolahan and neither has made an impact so far.

For all calling to have additions in the transfer window, I don't actually see we need to add numbers.  If the quality is not there than that's a different issue.

I think what frustrates Moore's critics is that we have too many verterans with young players waiting in the wings.  The club has lost the ability to release players past their sell-by date, instead being over-cautious IMO.

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #777 on: January 25, 2019, 10:49:54 AM »
bet you a tenner they dont

I think I'm more hopeful than anything! 

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #778 on: January 26, 2019, 02:10:31 PM »
Back on the bench today. Shame. Was hoping he’d get another start.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #779 on: January 30, 2019, 07:41:35 PM »
Matt Wilson Twitter account

“Oliver Burke starts up front for Celtic tonight. He's learning how to be a striker in Scotland, and that's the position Darren Moore is trying to convert him to #wba”
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #780 on: January 30, 2019, 08:08:09 PM »
Matt Wilson Twitter account

“Oliver Burke starts up front for Celtic tonight. He's learning how to be a striker in Scotland, and that's the position Darren Moore is trying to convert him to #wba”

Should that not be 'That's the position Brendon Rodgers  is trying to convert him to'.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #781 on: January 30, 2019, 10:01:00 PM »
Played 68 minutes before being substituted in Cetic’s 2-0 win
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #782 on: February 05, 2019, 06:17:32 PM »
Rejuvenated Oliver Burke had this to say about his Celtic future

Should we let him move on in the summer or should we hold on to him? Lots of variables involved in that question and the answer, no doubt

Source:  https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-celtic-oliver-burke-15781070
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #783 on: February 05, 2019, 06:45:43 PM »
Personally i would look to sell him with a big sell on clause inserted.

We took a huge gamble when we signed him, he had only made about 15 starts i think at the time and we spent £12-£15m on him (i think £3m was clauses which i cant see we would had to of paid as we nor him have done anything since he joined) we basically brought potential. The germans are snapping up british talent at the moment and they gave up on him after less than a year and probably couldnt believe their luck when we made an offer.

We probably thought if it comes off then we could double our money on him being a young british talent,
Instead the potential is nowhere near being fulfilled and hasnt looked even remotely close to doing so, he has done nothing of note for us, he hasnt had a load of chances to be fair but even when he has there hasnt been a moment where you have thought 'ah, there is that potential'

Even this season with us dropping down a league he hasnt got in, he has now gone to play for the best club in scotland, i think if you put HRK up there he would get 30 goals a season, thats the standard.

It will probably do Burkes confidence good, If he is happy to stay there then i think the maximum we would get outright would be between £3m - £6m (depending how he does between now and the end of the season), i would take that and insert a big sell on clause just incase he does prove to be a star, however my gut instinct is the £3m - £6m is what we would end up with and just have to accept it was a gamble that backfired.

I hope i am wrong and he either comes back and is brilliant or goes on to be a star elsewhere, but i think he will still come unstuck when he faces better opposition if / when he moves on from scotland, quite simply because i dont think he is a particularly good footballer or has a football brain, i think he is a athlete who will be effective in poorer leagues, better players will suss him out.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 06:47:37 PM by Albion79 »

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #784 on: February 05, 2019, 06:49:44 PM »
If the Scots can afford £20 million then sell him if not they can train him up for us,thanks very much.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #785 on: February 05, 2019, 06:59:50 PM »
Haha it would take HRK about 5 seasons to get 30 goals even in the SPL.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #786 on: February 05, 2019, 07:52:04 PM »
He has been having little digs ever since he went up there.

- Darren Moore never spoke to him.
- nothing he could do was ever good enough
- finally got a manager who trusts him

You’d think he had hit 10 goals so far.  Not two against St Mirren.

I can see him throwing his toys out in the summer if he doesn’t get his move. 

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #787 on: February 06, 2019, 12:56:04 PM »

Well if what he's saying is true, I can see why he's annoyed. I'd be wanting to leave too.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #788 on: February 06, 2019, 01:13:55 PM »
Well if what he's saying is true, I can see why he's annoyed. I'd be wanting to leave too.

If I were DM, I'd be wanting him to leave too.

DM has put a ridiculous amount of time into him, for a very small return.

It's the £15 million price tag that's holding everybody back, just impossible to write that value off without giving it your best shot.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #789 on: February 06, 2019, 01:57:08 PM »
Just another example of how bad our club has been run recently.

I still don't think he will become the player many people believe he can. He just doesn't seem to have the footballing brain.

Someone like Burke should be having a field day in the Scottish league, with his pace and directness.

You only have to look at Scott Sinclairs time in Scotland compared to England to understand the levels aren't the same.

I would be looking to cut our losses with him in the summer, hopefully a successful loan spell at Celtic convinces someone to give us as much of the 15million back as possible.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #790 on: February 06, 2019, 02:26:06 PM »

Let's hope Rodgers trusts him to the tune of £15m, come the summer, somehow I doubt it.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #791 on: February 06, 2019, 02:53:43 PM »

Thats sort of my point. 'If' its true.

However I struggle to believe that Darren Moore, a man who has been involved in our youth set up, and a man who shook hands with every opposition player after a particular game, is so poor in man management that he hasn't spoken to him. Not speaking to a lad we spend 15m on when you only have 25-30 in a squad would be verging on incompetent.

I suspect its more that OB feels he has been due a chance and trust, whereas DM would probably say needs to earn it and I think his digs make him seem like he has a sense of entitlement.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 02:55:51 PM by johnny Cash »

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #792 on: February 06, 2019, 04:55:04 PM »
I don't believe for one minute that Darren Moore never spoke to him, he is not that type of man he wouldn't ignore anyone.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #793 on: February 06, 2019, 10:12:42 PM »
Scored again for Celtic tonight.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:36:42 PM by OldburyWBA »

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #794 on: February 07, 2019, 12:40:34 AM »
I was only teasing when questioning the cleanliness of the men in hoops and those who follow them. A bit of teasing inevitably ensues when a Rangers fan marries into a family full of the heretics. 

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #795 on: February 10, 2019, 03:50:01 PM »
Celtic 5-0 St Johnstone

Sinclair (3' minutes, 54' minutes, 89' minutes), Brown (9' minutes), Forrest (52' minutes)   

Scott Sinclair's first two goals were set up by Oliver Burke
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #796 on: February 10, 2019, 05:30:45 PM »
Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers has told BBC Sport that West Bromwich Albion-owned winger Oliver Burke was brilliant against St Johnstone this afternoon.

Good news for us
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #797 on: February 10, 2019, 05:44:39 PM »
Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers has told BBC Sport that West Bromwich Albion-owned winger Oliver Burke was brilliant against St Johnstone this afternoon.

Good news for us

It's one thing being brilliant against St Johnstone. Another thing v Premier League opposition.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #798 on: February 10, 2019, 05:53:35 PM »
It's one thing being brilliant against St Johnstone. Another thing v Premier League opposition.

We aren't in the Premier League so I'm not sure what your point is. St Johnstone on the other hand are in the Premier League  ;D
Burke is still young. He has been sent up to Celtic to get game time and improve his game. So far he has impressed and hopefully by the time the season ends he will have made some good progress and be ready to be the asset his raw skill promised. I really don't know what people are moaning about. It looked like a good plan at the time and so far it is paying dividends. We should be supporting the lad, not having a go at every opportunity.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #799 on: February 10, 2019, 05:54:56 PM »

Good news for us

Well buy him at the end of the season Brendan. Obviously has not got a future here and lets put the money towards new signings (Hopefully).