Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718311 times)

royhan

• WBA Coach

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2275 on: May 20, 2019, 04:39:05 PM »
The Club is keen to speak with Northern Ireland manager Michael O’Neil, according to Sky Sports News. That sounds about right for Albion as he’s probably the cheapest option of all names mentioned. Has he had any Football League experience? None from what I can recall. What the hell Is going on?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2276 on: May 20, 2019, 04:43:18 PM »
The Club is keen to speak with Northern Ireland manager Michael O’Neil, according to Sky Sports News. That sounds about right for Albion as he’s probably the cheapest option of all names mentioned. Has he had any Football League experience? None from what I can recall. What the hell Is going on?

Brechin City and Shamrock Rovers is the extent of his club management experience
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2277 on: May 20, 2019, 04:45:54 PM »
Had spells in Ireland and Scotland if I recall from last time he peaked the clubs interest, lower league in Scotland at that.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2278 on: May 20, 2019, 04:46:42 PM »
Brechin City and Shamrock Rovers is the extent of his club management experience
We had a manager leave us to manage Shamrock Rovers after he learnt his coaching skills with us - Johnny Giles.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2279 on: May 20, 2019, 04:54:27 PM »
We had a manager leave us to manage Shamrock Rovers after he learnt his coaching skills with us - Johnny Giles.
gutted the day he left, but don't think O'Neil could pass a ball like Johnny

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2280 on: May 20, 2019, 05:00:51 PM »

Rob Dorsett
‏ @RobDorsettSky

#wbafc keen to talk to Michael O’Neill about Head Coach job, as they narrow down their search.

Didn't he say Johnny Evans was too good for us !  Its a no from me.

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2281 on: May 20, 2019, 05:05:01 PM »
If we take long enough. We can shrug our shoulders and say the reason why we missed out the best players is manager came late.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2282 on: May 20, 2019, 05:09:01 PM »
wonder if Brunt suggested O'Neil as an option.........maybe Brunt will be an assistant or is he that already.............? O'Neil and Hughton linked so far........two names linked with us for about 5 years or more? Wonder what Dowling actually does?

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2283 on: May 20, 2019, 05:15:29 PM »
wonder if Brunt suggested O'Neil as an option.........maybe Brunt will be an assistant or is he that already.............? O'Neil and Hughton linked so far........two names linked with us for about 5 years or more? Wonder what Dowling actually does?
exactly what I was going to ask, Both O’Neils have been linked to us the last couple manergerial changes and rarely are they even a target, similar with Hughton.

It’s not what does Dowling do, but how lazy can journalists be to think we won’t notice the same names crop up over and over again?

dubliner

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2284 on: May 20, 2019, 05:20:32 PM »
Shamrock Rovers and Baggies fan here so probably qualified to give an opinion on Michael O'Neill. Won back-to-back titles and brought Rovers to the Europa League group stages - first Irish club to do it and it's an amazing achievement.

Equally with Northern Ireland, became the first (and only) bottom seeds to to win a Euros qualifying group, again an amazing achievement.

He's a very impressive bloke and a top manager IMO, only caveat is that his best work has been done as an underdog where tactical nous has beaten better sides. Don't know how he'd get on with one of the favourites in the Championship.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2285 on: May 20, 2019, 05:21:42 PM »
Had spells in Ireland and Scotland if I recall from last time he peaked the clubs interest, lower league in Scotland at that.
O'Neill is a complete non-starter. His track record for clubs is the Irish and lower Scottish divisions. Most of his players would have been there on free transfers or loans.  Preparing for mtaches with N Ireland would be completly different to the intensity of the matches in the Championship.
If he is a serious candidate, I'd rather stick with Shan.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 06:02:42 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2286 on: May 20, 2019, 05:46:29 PM »
Shamrock Rovers and Baggies fan here so probably qualified to give an opinion on Michael O'Neill. Won back-to-back titles and brought Rovers to the Europa League group stages - first Irish club to do it and it's an amazing achievement.

Equally with Northern Ireland, became the first (and only) bottom seeds to to win a Euros qualifying group, again an amazing achievement.

He's a very impressive bloke and a top manager IMO, only caveat is that his best work has been done as an underdog where tactical nous has beaten better sides. Don't know how he'd get on with one of the favourites in the Championship.

One of the favourites!  :o With what’s going on we will be odds on to be relegated.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2287 on: May 20, 2019, 06:04:17 PM »
Graham Potter appointed new Brighton manager after leaving Swansea

Adding to his skills before returning to his spiritual home, no doubt

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48340989
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2288 on: May 20, 2019, 06:22:48 PM »
Reports from click bait sites suggesting Hughton is making his mind up between us and Borough
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2289 on: May 20, 2019, 06:26:29 PM »
 Nigel Clough anybody, he’s done a good job at the other, other Albion?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2290 on: May 20, 2019, 06:36:44 PM »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2291 on: May 20, 2019, 06:53:06 PM »

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2292 on: May 20, 2019, 06:59:14 PM »
Interest in O’Neill stepping up...

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/05/20/northern-ireland-boss-michael-oneill-emerges-as-candidate-for-west-brom-job/

This would stink of Alan Irvine to me.

49?! The guy has had one heavy paper round. He’s effectively a ‘young and hungry’ Manager. I could have sworn he was 60.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2293 on: May 20, 2019, 06:59:31 PM »
All very under whelming and uninspiring. Very worried about the next 3 to 4 seasons.... :'(

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2294 on: May 20, 2019, 07:07:00 PM »
Jesus we're doomed.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

victor mature

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2295 on: May 20, 2019, 07:07:58 PM »
I wanted Hughton 7 years ago but I'm very wary of newly sacked managers as they are rarely successful plus he's 60 now. Given our recent record on sacking managers and our limited budget, I really don't know who we could attract. I wanted Dean Smith this time last year. What about ex dingle  Paul cook?

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2296 on: May 20, 2019, 07:14:09 PM »
The E and S suggests
ONeil
Hughton
Cowley
+1

who is the other ? Mick McCarthy i guess?

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2297 on: May 20, 2019, 07:19:02 PM »
I'm still going to stick my neck out and suggest Micky Mellon as the +1 - waiting for after the Tranmere PO final :D
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Tony Goddens Gloves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2298 on: May 20, 2019, 07:19:37 PM »
Jeeze 🙁God help us

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2299 on: May 20, 2019, 07:41:03 PM »
The E and S suggests
ONeil
Hughton
Cowley
+1

who is the other ? Mick McCarthy i guess?
Have seen somewhere the missing one is Lee Bowyer
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 07:43:22 PM by hardtobeat »
Baggie for life not just for Xmas