Author Topic: How many points needed?  (Read 63921 times)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: How many points needed?
« Reply #325 on: July 09, 2020, 10:18:25 PM »
Mowbray's teams will play into this WBA team's hands in my opinion. But the game is going to be tough, may be a "you score 3 we score 4" kind of game.

Then obviously Fulham is huge and they will need to win so again that plays into our hands. We just got to not do anything stupid like Bartley's ridiculous back passes or Johnstone's performance v Hull.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #326 on: July 09, 2020, 10:29:02 PM »
Perhaps Brentford will drop points,it almost happened in their last match.
Don't assume that they will win all remaining games,as long as we keep picking up points and after the next match only 3 left

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #327 on: July 09, 2020, 10:46:37 PM »
Perhaps Brentford will drop points,it almost happened in their last match.
Don't assume that they will win all remaining games,as long as we keep picking up points and after the next match only 3 left

I think and hope they will. They had to give everything to claw back against Charlton and they are relying on the same front 3 forwards every game and have done since the restart. Derby and Preston are tricky games for them. If they fail to bear Derby and we beat Blackburn we will only need one more win after that if my maths servers me right with Fulham Huddersfield and QPR to come

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #328 on: July 09, 2020, 10:50:39 PM »
I think and hope they will. They had to give everything to claw back against Charlton and they are relying on the same front 3 forwards every game and have done since the restart. Derby and Preston are tricky games for them. If they fail to bear Derby and we beat Blackburn we will only need one more win after that if my maths servers me right with Fulham Huddersfield and QPR to come
They will drop points
They haven’t relied on the same 3
Benrahma , dasilva,Watkins,mbeuemo
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #329 on: July 09, 2020, 11:29:18 PM »
They will drop points
They haven’t relied on the same 3
Benrahma , dasilva,Watkins,mbeuemo

If you also think they will drop points how many more points do you think we will need?

Lets hope the manager award curse hits Brentford. Their gaffer has just won the award. Anything except a Brentford win is brilliant for us this weekend. Means we go from needing 8 points to 5 points with 4 games remaining. Come on Derby!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 07:13:09 AM by baggie38 »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #330 on: July 10, 2020, 07:58:57 AM »
The situation is entirely in our own hands two wins two draws does it. As soon as Brentford don't win that becomes two wins.

If you are looking for a rooting guide for the weekend fixtures our best set of results are:

Fulham to beat Cardiff*
Derby to beat Brentford
Swansea to beat Leeds
Preston to beat Forest
Hull to beat Millwall
Stoke to lose to Birmingham*
A positive result from Barnsley v Wigan and Huddersfield v Luton

*Keeps the play-off and relegation battles open therefore giving other teams that play Leeds/Brentford an incentive to take points from those fixtures.

But two wins two draws and the rest can do what they want we will be promoted.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #331 on: July 10, 2020, 03:30:02 PM »
I still don't understand why some people are so adamant that Brentford will drop points. They've got Derby who are suffering with suspensions and injuries a Preston side who are very hit or miss at home then two games against sides who are really struggling anyway

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #332 on: July 10, 2020, 03:48:54 PM »
I still don't understand why some people are so adamant that Brentford will drop points. They've got Derby who are suffering with suspensions and injuries a Preston side who are very hit or miss at home then two games against sides who are really struggling anyway

Because it's very unusual for a team to win 10 matches in succession especially in this division.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #333 on: July 10, 2020, 04:02:18 PM »
Because it's very unusual for a team to win 10 matches in succession especially in this division.

Unusual set of playing conditions too though isn't it.

I'd be willing to bet the top 3 in the division have never all won there last 7 remaining games, nor has it ever even looked like it was likely happen. However at present it looks like it just may.

I find it hard to believe behind closed doors isn't playing a big part in that since none of us are particularly stellar, but it does make it hard to rely on what would normally be true in under the usual circumstances.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #334 on: July 10, 2020, 04:13:14 PM »
Derby Is the best chance we have of Brentford drop pin g points now I've read two things

Derby are unbeaten at home since August
And Brentford may have the managers curse from the award (clutching straws I know)

You know what that means?
Brentford win. A draw and a loss for Brentford means the exact same for us it means we only need two more wins. I'll be watching it with everything crossed.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #335 on: July 10, 2020, 04:52:08 PM »
The Vile managed it last year so it can be done
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #336 on: July 10, 2020, 04:55:04 PM »
Brentford can win every game as far as I’m concerned and that’s how Bilic and the players must think too. That means we need to keep winning too, to ensure that no matter what Brentford do we’ll still finish top two. That’s the mindset we all must have.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #337 on: July 10, 2020, 05:15:01 PM »
Derby need to win or there season is over or as good as. Preston also need to win or they are as good as out of it to. Winning this weekend is a huge step for us regardless of other results
O Albion we love you

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #338 on: July 10, 2020, 05:51:51 PM »
Derby need to win or there season is over or as good as. Preston also need to win or they are as good as out of it to. Winning this weekend is a huge step for us regardless of other results

You would certainly hope so and at some point it must get demoralising closing the gap down to 2 and having it extended to 5 again as has been happening the last couple of weeks or so.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #339 on: July 10, 2020, 10:47:01 PM »
Must admit I have to laugh at these Fulham fans on social media. They've beat Cardiff which puts them 4 points behind us with 9 to play for. They basically need us to lose to Blackburn they beat us on Tuesday to go a point behind then hope we lose to Huddersfield next week and they beat whoever they've got next week. Not being funny but I think that Cardiff win is getting to their head. It's still a three horse race for me.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #340 on: July 10, 2020, 10:58:32 PM »
Must admit I have to laugh at these Fulham fans on social media. They've beat Cardiff which puts them 4 points behind us with 9 to play for. They basically need us to lose to Blackburn they beat us on Tuesday to go a point behind then hope we lose to Huddersfield next week and they beat whoever they've got next week. Not being funny but I think that Cardiff win is getting to their head. It's still a three horse race for me.
As long as it’s mathematically possible, it’s possible. It’s what keeps the dream alive. It could happen yet.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #341 on: July 10, 2020, 11:06:00 PM »
Hope you are right, but they looked strong in all departments today. Their defence is very strong, although the ref was a bit soft in allowing them some extra licence.   
We might of course need to beat them again, if we missed out on automatic.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #342 on: July 10, 2020, 11:06:30 PM »
Understand that don't get me wrong but it's a very tall order none the less.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #343 on: July 10, 2020, 11:07:32 PM »
Hope you are right, but they looked strong in all departments today. Their defence is very strong, although the ref was a bit soft in allowing them some extra licence.   

I'm not even contemplating missing out on automatic yet. We need 8 points let's start tomorrow then if Derby do us a favour then bonus

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #344 on: July 11, 2020, 07:34:56 AM »
Blackburn need to win though or their season is over that's the worrying thing!

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #345 on: July 11, 2020, 11:22:09 AM »

I saw nothing in Fulham that can worry us based on the Cardiff game.  The 1st 20 minutes they were all over the place.

If we beat Blackburn today and draw with Fulham they are out of it.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #346 on: July 11, 2020, 11:53:12 AM »
Yes but we might be out of it if we just get 4 points from next 2 matches.
It’s win win for us all the way to the end

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #347 on: July 11, 2020, 12:32:59 PM »
I saw nothing in Fulham that can worry us based on the Cardiff game.  The 1st 20 minutes they were all over the place.

If we beat Blackburn today and draw with Fulham they are out of it.
But they are not out of the Play Offs. If we fail to get automatic, we will probably have to beat Fulham in the Play Offs.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #348 on: July 11, 2020, 05:02:18 PM »
So now we need something against Fulham which I'm not holding out for.

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #349 on: July 11, 2020, 05:25:22 PM »
How many points will be needed to finish in the top 2?

Of course the points distribution is different every season, but history might give us some clues. In the past 15 years, the lowest is 79 and the highest 93. The average is around 87.

If we carry on at our current average we will reach 88. Just about enough, but only just.

If 87 is the minimum target, 24 points from 13 games is far from a formality and every three point winning game is absolutely vital. That’s why dropping two points today is really painful. If we won only 6, we could only afford to lose 1 game and would have to draw all the others to get there. But if we win 7 we can afford to lose 3, or if we win 8 we can lose 5.

A nice little run of three or four wins in a row could make a huge difference but I still think there’s a very long way to go.

This was the position when I started this thread way back in February. And it’s now looking as if that 88 point target is very real - and would be “just about enough, but only just.”