Author Topic: 08/07 Red Bull Salzburg 3 Albion 1 (Friendly)  (Read 18538 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: 08/07 Red Bull Salzburg 3 Albion 1 (Friendly)
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2015, 09:58:34 PM »
I see Nabi got the goal - he's almost the forgotten academy man now with most talk about Roberts, Leko and the other striker who's name escapes me. Hope Nabi gets a decent chance in what is a huge season for him.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2015, 10:24:53 PM »
Only saw the first half but thought Mclean looked our best player.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2015, 10:38:15 PM »

What strip we play in?

New home strip, except that for some reason we wore last seasons socks  :-\

Sock gate all over again?  ;D

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2015, 11:22:02 PM »
I see Poco got a run out

is that the first time under Pulis?
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2015, 12:08:27 AM »
I see Poco got a run out

is that the first time under Pulis?

From what I remember we got caught out a few times down his side, he was keen to get forward but was crowded out.

So I doubt he did himself any favours if I'm honest.

bednarsboingboing balls

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2015, 12:55:17 AM »
Why did ideya and anichebe play ,thought we did not want them,supppose we will be stuck with them for the forth coming season?

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2015, 04:57:44 AM »
Kind of looks that way yes,  I want to give Brown another chance, We got conned on the anichebe front no other way of putting it, Nice guy but not what we need to compete I'm afraid.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2015, 06:29:13 AM »
Why did ideya and anichebe play ,thought we did not want them,supppose we will be stuck with them for the forth coming season?

I would have thought that  half of the starting line up will not be in the 11 on the opening match of the season.
Players have to be treated as if they are going to be here (i.e get them fit and give them game time) as I suspect we wwont move on all the ones that we want to.
I agree with others that we should give Brown another go, there were times last season when he looked good enough.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2015, 06:41:11 AM »

The speed we conduct transfers at means there was nobody else to play there unfortunately.

We also want to offload the only two fullbacks left at the club so brace yourself for people playing out of position again next season.

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2015, 07:18:20 AM »
They are both here and they are both employed by the club, so they have to do their bit.

Equally, I think it's more a case of letting them go if an offer comes as opposed to looking to bomb them out completely. If they stay, then they stay and continue as part of the group. Cutting them out now would be an awful idea. What if we bombed them out and then we couldn't sell them? We'd have two expensive, unfit players who we would be stuck with. They were always going to be involved, same with Pocognoli, Gamboa when he returns from international duty and Samaras when he is fit.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2015, 08:08:44 AM »
One of dumbest things that clubs/managers do is freeze players out who they might want to sell. Firstly you never know what might happen and you end up needing that player and all you have done is demotivate them. Secondly by not preparing them properly for the season you make them less attractive to potential buyers. Thirdly by wetting them off if they need to cut a deal to move on it makes them less inclined to cooperate and more inclined to sit on their contract.

Equally I disagree with the initial premise that we have to bomb Anichebe and Brown out this window. If they end up 3rd and 4th choice strikers behind Berahino and a newcomer it wouldn't be a terrible position to be in.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2015, 08:27:54 AM »
One of dumbest things that clubs/managers do is freeze players out who they might want to sell. Firstly you never know what might happen and you end up needing that player and all you have done is demotivate them. Secondly by not preparing them properly for the season you make them less attractive to potential buyers. Thirdly by wetting them off if they need to cut a deal to move on it makes them less inclined to cooperate and more inclined to sit on their contract.

Equally I disagree with the initial premise that we have to bomb Anichebe and Brown out this window. If they end up 3rd and 4th choice strikers behind Berahino and a newcomer it wouldn't be a terrible position to be in.

Agree entirely, its not that Anichebe is not good enough, he is not fit enough and fragile, back to goal in the penalty area, he is very dangerous.
Brown has shown glimpses he could be a good asset.
Baggie in Southampton

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2015, 08:36:57 AM »
For £5m we could have secured the services of Lukaku for a season. Then maybe we could have got him permanently for a little more than what we paid for Anichebe and Brown.
I know £5m is pricey for a season loan,but not when you have a player of his ability, and further more for what he did in a Baggies shirt.
We had one of the best goalscorer's in the country and let him walk away for the sake of £5m, then made panic signings.
£5m a season is about right for a proven premier league striker.
But no, let's go for the untested again.

Unbelievable, Lukaku or Anichebe and Brown? No brainer.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2015, 08:38:06 AM »
For £5m we could have secured the services of Lukaku for a season. Then maybe we could have got him permanently for a little more than what we paid for Anichebe and Brown.
I know £5m is pricey for a season loan,but not when you have a player of his ability, and further more for what he did in a Baggies shirt.
We had one of the best goalscorer's in the country and let him walk away for the sake of £5m, then made panic signings.

Lukaku turned down the option of coming here though....

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2015, 08:57:34 AM »

Everton paid £8M for the one season though not £5M. £5M was just the loan fee, they also had to pay his wages which made the deal £8M.

Why would we have been able to sign him for less than the £28M that Everton eventually had to pay for him?

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2015, 08:59:07 AM »
I would have thought that  half of the starting line up will not be in the 11 on the opening match of the season.
Players have to be treated as if they are going to be here (i.e get them fit and give them game time) as I suspect we wwont move on all the ones that we want to.
I agree with others that we should give Brown another go, there were times last season when he looked good enough.

I don't think it will be too far from what we saw last night to be honest. Add in Brunt and Morrison. Berahino may not be up to speed by then and I can't see any new signings that will be starters.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

bednarsboingboing balls

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2015, 09:02:28 AM »
another low scoring season looms I guess :-X

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2015, 02:11:58 PM »

Pulis sides don't score masses of goals regardless of who plays for them get used to it.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2015, 02:30:04 PM »

Without our top goalscorer and player with the most assists, in our first pre-season game against the champions of their (modest) league, after a gruelling start to pre-season, and we still get one goal.

Were you expecting a walkover?

He/him