Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 854455 times)

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #3750 on: March 11, 2019, 01:28:00 PM »
Not being petty stating a fact. And I know it's affection but that's when we where all singing there's only one big Dave, on here we are not.

Says you. As a man and a player, there is and will always be only one Big Dave. We're all gutted that things haven't worked out for him, but our love for a former player cannot affect the running of our club or paper over the glaring problems we have had under his leadership as manager.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3751 on: March 11, 2019, 01:28:29 PM »
All fair points Durham baggie, on that basis you would sack him, however also worth pointing out the positives as to why it was harsh

- Took over a laughing stock of a club with a group of players which had won 4 league games in the previous 44, yet managed to win 3 and drew 2 of the last 6 against some of the biggest teams in the country to stop us going down with a record as one of the worst premier league clubs in history
- Introduced a new passing style of football after fans had repeatedly complained about style for the 3 or 4 years previous-
- Attracted the leagues best player Harvey Barnes who turned down a better offer from Leeds to play for Darren Moore and his style of football
- Gayle, Holgate, Murphy all stated the reason they chose Albion was to play in Darren Moores team and they way he wanted to play
- Gareth Barry and Jake Livermore stated as of a few weeks ago that the players who stayed agreed to it as they believed in what Darren Moore was doing. That is likely to be true as nowadays if players want a move they usually force it  - Foster and McClean good examples (Dawson the exception)
- Promoted youngsters into the squad gradually and now play reguarly which fans have criticised the club for not doing for numerous years
- Ahead of the Leeds game i believe had the best away records in the country in the 10 games prior to it
- Second highest scorers in the league (again after fans had complained for years how boring the football was, scoring 68 goals isnt too bad)
- Over 50% win ratio as Albion manager
- His style of football ensured more sellouts at the Albion this season than probably the previous 10 combined, if it was just a results thing then we would of sold out a lot under Pulis too as we got results for him to too often against more glamour opponenets.
- Played away to two of biggest rivals in recent weeks (Villa and Stoke) and barely got out of first gear we were that far ahead
- Won three manager of the months out of a possible 8 available
- Left the club 7 points clear of the last play off place
- Done all of this whilst selling three of our best players in recent years - Foster (would of been best goalie in the league) Evans (a class above anything in this league and many the one above) and Rondon (who even under Benitez, not exactly an attacking coach, has shown they by playing a bit more attacking purpose rather than the Pulis way, what a good quality striker he is)

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3752 on: March 11, 2019, 01:31:45 PM »
I am personally pleased that he has gone. Nice guy but...

*You play the best striker in the league out wide
*You ask centre halves that cannot pass the ball to continuously pass the ball.
*You ask a goalkeeper that cannot pass the ball to continuously pass the ball.
*Play Tosin out of position (continuously).
*Purchase Connor Townsend.
*Started the season with a midfield 2 of Brunt and Livermore
*Persevered with a back 3 for far far far too long.
*Have been outplayed on numerous occasions (Leeds away / Blues away / Forest away / Sheff U home / Ipswich home / Derby home / Sheff Wed away / Blackburn away + many more
*Purchase Kyle Bartley.
*Design a formation to beat Leeds at home (great) - but then stick to it even though it has failed in almost every game since.
*Fail to make substitutions that positively impact the game (usually waiting until the opposition act.
*Fail to see that the opposition have worked us out. All you have to do against Albion is let them have the ball at the back and press Barry/Livermore once the ball is passed into midfield (usually at knee height).

For these reasons - he should have been fired. We do have a good squad of players and this is a poor league (in terms of quality).

Good luck Darren but in my opinion you were totally out of your depth.

And you could build a similar list as to all the good things he done too, not all as bad as you make out hence why we are comfortably in the play off positions, if his remit was to get us promoted then he was on target (albeit through the playoffs), for all the bad signings (and some were bad!) he had some gems - Gayle, Barnes, Holgate. For all the poor performances, there were some crackers too. Our club was rotten throughout and he fixed it to a degree, overall for his first full year in management he done very well with the resources made available to him, just my opinion of course......
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

walter baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #3753 on: March 11, 2019, 01:32:15 PM »
Not being petty stating a fact. And I know it's affection but that's when we where all singing there's only one big Dave, on here we are not.

There's still only one Big Dave!!!!!!!

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3754 on: March 11, 2019, 01:34:08 PM »
All fair points Durham baggie, on that basis you would sack him, however also worth pointing out the positives as to why it was harsh

- Took over a laughing stock of a club with a group of players which had won 4 league games in the previous 44, yet managed to win 3 and drew 2 of the last 6 against some of the biggest teams in the country to stop us going down with a record as one of the worst premier league clubs in history
- Introduced a new passing style of football after fans had repeatedly complained about style for the 3 or 4 years previous-
- Attracted the leagues best player Harvey Barnes who turned down a better offer from Leeds to play for Darren Moore and his style of football
- Gayle, Holgate, Murphy all stated the reason they chose Albion was to play in Darren Moores team and they way he wanted to play
- Gareth Barry and Jake Livermore stated as of a few weeks ago that the players who stayed agreed to it as they believed in what Darren Moore was doing. That is likely to be true as nowadays if players want a move they usually force it  - Foster and McClean good examples (Dawson the exception)
- Promoted youngsters into the squad gradually and now play reguarly which fans have criticised the club for not doing for numerous years
- Ahead of the Leeds game i believe had the best away records in the country in the 10 games prior to it
- Second highest scorers in the league (again after fans had complained for years how boring the football was, scoring 68 goals isnt too bad)
- His style of football ensured more sellouts at the Albion this season than probably the previous 10 combined, if it was just a results thing then we would of sold out a lot under Pulis too as we got results for him to too often against more glamour opponenets.
- Played away to two of biggest rivals in recent weeks (Villa and Stoke) and barely got out of first gear we were that far ahead
- Done all of this whilst selling three of our best players in recent years - Foster (would of been best goalie in the league) Evans (a class above anything in this league and many the one above) and Rondon (who even under Benitez, not exactly an attacking coach, has shown they by playing a bit more attacking purpose rather than the Pulis way, what a good quality striker he is)

Agreed! (I tried to make the same point) any argument looks good when you only put one side to it!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3755 on: March 11, 2019, 01:45:15 PM »

Sorry, just not true, did as much to get us relegated as anyone.
Baggie in Southampton

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #3756 on: March 11, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »
I can’t beieve the pettiness about calling him big Dave, that’s what he’s known as!

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3757 on: March 11, 2019, 02:00:24 PM »
I can’t beieve the pettiness about calling him big Dave, that’s what he’s known as!

If you put "B D" (with no spaces) in on your next post the board auto corrects to Darren Moore you know :P noticed it a few weeks ago

like this: Darren Moore
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:04:56 PM by Dan87uk »
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3758 on: March 11, 2019, 02:04:45 PM »
This article is well worth reading and will strike a cord with every Albion fan on the rights and wrongs of sacking Darren

https://albiononsunday.wordpress.com/2019/03/10/darren-moore-head-vs-heart/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3759 on: March 11, 2019, 02:12:34 PM »
Absolutely gutted about Moore.  I really hoped he would be at the helm for many years to come; he is such a goliath of a man, full of integrity and such a great person to have as the figurehead of the club.  I liked that he was trying to change our footballing philosophy and was invested in our young prospects coming through - which I think is so important for a club of our size and restraints.  The ‘we not me’ stuff was a bit naff I suppose but it encaptured the culture and ethos he was trying import.

Jokanovic seems to be the man the club want, a managerial nomad who has never stopped anywhere long enough to build anything concrete, granted he has some credibility but all the enthusiasm I had for this season feels like its gone.  All aboard yet another managerial merry-go-round.
"This crack is really moreish."

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3760 on: March 11, 2019, 03:46:24 PM »
Moore wasn't good enough. thats it.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3761 on: March 11, 2019, 04:21:19 PM »

This would be my perspective too. Agree on the players sold. said all along Foster was our best player (proved it with Watford this year) who got Pulis a load of points...
Evans was our best defender and is quality. People saying he isn’t are going on his form from last year. If that’s the case then we don’t have the best squad in the league as we were rubbish last year and finished bottom.
Rondon proving he’s a decent striker and was playing well under Moore at the end of last season. It’s as if those players are the spine of a team.
Our home form is really poor but surely you have to look at our away form too. The way some supporters have talked the home form is all that is counted when looking at the league table.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3762 on: March 11, 2019, 05:09:40 PM »
I didn't go to the Ipswich game (weekend in Paris for my girlfriends birthday), but everything I've seen and heard says we were right to let him go.

The fact is he got 6 games as a stop-gap, and that should have been it. The problem was he did well enough in those six games that it meant the club thought that he (and those players) were good enough to get us out of the Championship. Neither has been true, at least as far as automatic promotion goes.

I'm not going to go through the litany of complaints I had about him during the season, enough has been said, suffice to say he was found wanting tactically. It's a harsh decision, one I'm sad about, because I really wanted him to succeed. And I feel bad about his sacking, but he was out of his depth, bailed out by individual performances earlier in the season.

We should really have given him until the summer, but had we done so on current form we could have been outside even the play-offs at that point; the club have made it clear that financially, we need promotion.

Getting beaten at home by Boro and Sheffield United was bad, but getting outclassed by Leeds was probably the final straw in most peoples eyes. I hope he goes on to get a decent job, and come back stronger for the experience.

What I will say is that I saw a change when Graeme Jones walked in the door, and it wasn't one that I was fond of. If Moore had got in a different number 2, I think things would have been better.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3763 on: March 11, 2019, 05:12:03 PM »
I didn't go to the Ipswich game (weekend in Paris for my girlfriends birthday), but everything I've seen and heard says we were right to let him go.

The fact is he got 6 games as a stop-gap, and that should have been it. The problem was he did well enough in those six games that it meant the club thought that he (and those players) were good enough to get us out of the Championship. Neither has been true, at least as far as automatic promotion goes.

I'm not going to go through the litany of complaints I had about him during the season, enough has been said, suffice to say he was found wanting tactically. It's a harsh decision, one I'm sad about, because I really wanted him to succeed. And I feel bad about his sacking, but he was out of his depth, bailed out by individual performances earlier in the season.

We should really have given him until the summer, but had we done so on current form we could have been outside even the play-offs at that point; the club have made it clear that financially, we need promotion.

Getting beaten at home by Boro and Sheffield United was bad, but getting outclassed by Leeds was probably the final straw in most peoples eyes. I hope he goes on to get a decent job, and come back stronger for the experience.

What I will say is that I saw a change when Graeme Jones walked in the door, and it wasn't one that I was fond of. If Moore had got in a different number 2, I think things would have been better.

I think we'd have won the league easily had we kept Foster and Rondon and stayed compact and pragmatic in style. Would have gone down like a lead balloon though. I don't think it was a mistake to give Darren the job, but his naivety and trust particularly in Jones and his methods have cost him big time.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3764 on: March 11, 2019, 05:17:22 PM »
This article is well worth reading and will strike a cord with every Albion fan on the rights and wrongs of sacking Darren

https://albiononsunday.wordpress.com/2019/03/10/darren-moore-head-vs-heart/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Thank you for sharing.

I particularly enjoyed this - "As a supporter, football should be melodramatic indulgence. As an owner it is hard business. Fans should always aspire to the former, aesthetic dream of football, no matter its patent absurdity. When we buy too far into the business part it becomes transactional and frankly pointless."

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3765 on: March 11, 2019, 05:24:09 PM »

Thank you for sharing.

I particularly enjoyed this - "As a supporter, football should be melodramatic indulgence. As an owner it is hard business. Fans should always aspire to the former, aesthetic dream of football, no matter its patent absurdity. When we buy too far into the business part it becomes transactional and frankly pointless."

Totally agree, at the end of the day its 22 blokes kicking a ball on a pitch, people pay for the experience and the passion and all that goes with it.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3766 on: March 11, 2019, 05:28:38 PM »
I haven't seen the board this divided since the days of Jeremy Peace.
Yes, we were correct to sack him, if people couldn't see the reason's why he was sacked, then maybe football isn't for you.
I am still in shock with his decisions in the Brighton game.

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3767 on: March 11, 2019, 05:34:19 PM »
I haven't seen the board this divided since the days of Jeremy Peace.
Yes, we were correct to sack him, if people couldn't see the reason's why he was sacked, then maybe football isn't for you.
I am still in shock with his decisions in the Brighton game.

Below the belt. If the board had no intent of giving Darren Moore a full season to succeed or fail then why appoint in the first place? Maybe football isn't for them.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3768 on: March 11, 2019, 05:42:09 PM »
Below the belt. If the board had no intent of giving Darren Moore a full season to succeed or fail then why appoint in the first place? Maybe football isn't for them.

Some people buy what ever line the board spin. Moore was not backed in the transfer market to replace Phillips or Barnes and the players we have are not good enough for automatic.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3769 on: March 11, 2019, 05:43:39 PM »
the board were in a lose lose situation, they were put in a situation by media and a section of fans that made it almost impossible to not give it him, they were then in a position that no matter when he was sacked there was going to be the sentimental argument and uproar from certain sections
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3770 on: March 11, 2019, 05:45:10 PM »
As I said in an earlier post, I'm no knee jerker, but on Saturday, it was obvious the trajectory was only downwards, any team in the league bar Ipswich would have beaten us and Ipswich should have with our defensive incompetence.

Had we made the playoffs (and that was doubtful based on Saturday) we would have failed miserably, at least now, we have a chance again.

Baggie in Southampton

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3771 on: March 11, 2019, 05:45:47 PM »
Baggies podcast from the Express and Star is out with Matt Wilson, who I think talks a lot of sense and is a fan.

Worth a listen if you've got some time. Pretty in-depth on the season so far, Moore, the opinion of the board, his sacking and what comes next.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/03/11/baggies-broadcast-season-2-episode-32-thank-you-darren-moore/

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3772 on: March 11, 2019, 05:47:02 PM »
the board were in a lose lose situation, they were put in a situation by media and a section of fans that made it almost impossible to not give it him, they were then in a position that no matter when he was sacked there was going to be the sentimental argument and uproar from certain sections

I'm not buying that. The timing is what has made all so questionable for me as a fan.

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3773 on: March 11, 2019, 06:04:50 PM »
What i dont get is.. if they weren’t going to have someone in quickly. Why not leave the sacking until the international break?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3774 on: March 11, 2019, 06:05:40 PM »
What i dont get is.. if they weren’t going to have someone in quickly. Why not leave the sacking until the international break?

In case we beat Swansea and Brentford.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.