Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 854421 times)

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #3675 on: March 10, 2019, 02:57:08 PM »
When I heard the news last night I thought Jones and Jacobs would take over but then heard they had been sacked as well. Why sack the backroom staff if you have not got replacements on the brink of joining, and if that is the case how long has this been on the boards agenda?
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3676 on: March 10, 2019, 03:01:50 PM »
When I heard the news last night I thought Jones and Jacobs would take over but then heard they had been sacked as well. Why sack the backroom staff if you have not got replacements on the brink of joining, and if that is the case how long has this been on the boards agenda?

Since November if you believe the Telegraph.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3677 on: March 10, 2019, 03:03:49 PM »
I'm struggling to understand why anybody is shocked or upset about Darren Moore losing his job. He has had undoubtedly, the best squad in the league and automatic promotion should be the target. Darren and his team have failed and we are getting worse. The way we have continually passed it out from the back, constantly playing ourlesves into trouble on the edge of our box is criminal and sunday league standard. The persistence with this tactic and our failure to improve as time has gone on (we have actually regressed) is more than enough for me to be confident that the club have made the right decision for the club.

While some are questioning the timing, I actually think it's the perfect time. We have time now to change things and correct the glaring tactical deficiencies, to consolidate a playoff spot or even push for automatic if we can get an immediate momentum change from a new coaching setup. A few draws and losses for the teams above could open the door. With Moore in charge it wouldn't have mattered because we wouldn't have a prayer of defending well enough to win 7 or 8 on the spin. With the quality in our squad, we are capable if setup right.

I'll always have the utmost respect for Darren Moore has a human being and also as a football player, but he was simply not ready for the job on a full time basis. He needs more experience and a lot more tactical nous to be competing at this level. He deserved his chance, but ultimately he has failed. Now it's time for somebody else to get an opportunity to get the BEST SQUAD IN THE LEAGUE performing to their ability levels.
Best squad in the league you say? Then you say they can't pass the ball and play like Sunday league players!? Make your mind up. The reason they can't play out from the back is because they ain't good enough to do it!!

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3678 on: March 10, 2019, 03:09:20 PM »
Best squad in the league you say? Then you say they can't pass the ball and play like Sunday league players!? Make your mind up. The reason they can't play out from the back is because they ain't good enough to do it!!
yeah and we didnt have anyone in charge to see that, was obvious first game of season and they still carried on...his time was up the club hqve made the right move he was clueless

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3679 on: March 10, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »

Isn't that part of the problem though?  You can't say Hegazi, Dawson, Gibbs and Holgate aren't amongst some of the best defenders in the league - genuinely, name a better back 4, yet our system makes them look like Sunday League players at times.

Clearly our squad is right up there and our league positions feels like it's in despite of the tactics not because of it.  How many games can you say that we've played well for 90 minutes for this season?  How about 45?  How about since January? 

It's ridiculous to use the fact they struggled in the Prem as a reason for them not being amongst the best in the Championship.  Likewise the fact that half the squad haven't played at this "level", no, they played at a higher level.  I know we all have a soft spot for Big Dave but looking at the squad, looking at how we play, can you honestly say, hand on heart, that we are performing as well as expected, or even above that?  I can't.   

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3680 on: March 10, 2019, 03:14:51 PM »

Surely a half decent head coach would tell them to stop doing it then? Or maybe find a way of playing that they were more comfortable in? Or, and here's a big one, not give the go ahead to spend in excess of £10m of the summer budget on a goalkeeper and centre back that clearly would not be suited to playing it out from the back?

As much as some fans are angry at the decision, Moore was clueless when it came to actually setting up a football team. He made fundamental mistakes on a weekly basis, playing just those 2 in midfield yesterday was so stupid I can't comprehend the thinking behind it.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3681 on: March 10, 2019, 03:15:53 PM »
Isn't that part of the problem though?  You can't say Hegazi, Dawson, Gibbs and Holgate aren't amongst some of the best defenders in the league - genuinely, name a better back 4, yet our system makes them look like Sunday League players at times.

Clearly our squad is right up there and our league positions feels like it's in despite of the tactics not because of it.  How many games can you say that we've played well for 90 minutes for this season?  How about 45?  How about since January? 

It's ridiculous to use the fact they struggled in the Prem as a reason for them not being amongst the best in the Championship.  Likewise the fact that half the squad haven't played at this "level", no, they played at a higher level.  I know we all have a soft spot for Big Dave but looking at the squad, looking at how we play, can you honestly say, hand on heart, that we are performing as well as expected, or even above that?  I can't.
Where have i said cause they struggled in the premiership they ain't good enough in the championship? You think we have the best squad, fair enough me and a lot of others don't.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3682 on: March 10, 2019, 03:26:45 PM »
Surely a half decent head coach would tell them to stop doing it then? Or maybe find a way of playing that they were more comfortable in? Or, and here's a big one, not give the go ahead to spend in excess of £10m of the summer budget on a goalkeeper and centre back that clearly would not be suited to playing it out from the back?

As much as some fans are angry at the decision, Moore was clueless when it came to actually setting up a football team. He made fundamental mistakes on a weekly basis, playing just those 2 in midfield yesterday was so stupid I can't comprehend the thinking behind it.

It’s amazing we are fourth really isn’t it.

I’ll be watching closely to see how you treat the next manager.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3683 on: March 10, 2019, 03:31:23 PM »

The gaps were too big between the lines too and that isn’t good coaching , we weren’t compact and didn’t play as a unit  .

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3684 on: March 10, 2019, 03:34:28 PM »
It’s amazing we are fourth really isn’t it.

I’ll be watching closely to see how you treat the next manager.

Yep, having a top 3-5 player in the league in every position really helps when you're not great at management. In the same way I'd fancy my chances of finishing 6th if I was Man City manager  :P

If the next manager is another dud then he'll get the same treatment from me, I don't support the manager I support the club. Sadly every appointment since Hodgson has been poor so I'm not overly confident.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3685 on: March 10, 2019, 03:37:55 PM »
The gaps were too big between the lines too and that isn’t good coaching , we weren’t compact and didn’t play as a unit  .

You're not kidding. Every time one of our players got the ball second half he had to carry it forty yards with no-one anywhere near him.

A mess an absolute mess.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3686 on: March 10, 2019, 03:38:09 PM »
The idea that early season success was purely down toGayle and Barnes, with no credit to Moore is for the birds

Credit the players in the success, vilify the gaffer in the first poor run of form..

That would be unfair but isn't my view. The players do need to take a lot of blame for their performances of late, I'm particularly critical of Livermore and Rodriguez. I've never called for DM to be sacked, it was harsh, I think he did a decent job all things considered BUT our better moments and results this season have relied upon the quality of individual players rather than his management and we have been out schooled recently by Pulis of all people, Biesla and Wilder. So I can understand the board's point of view.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3687 on: March 10, 2019, 03:39:58 PM »

I thought that was most noticeable yesterday, massive gap between the team with a overweight Livermore unable to cover the ground in the middle. The shape was all wrong.

allenkevanastle

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3688 on: March 10, 2019, 03:51:08 PM »
Sad, very sad. Like many, I wanted DM to succeed. But then again, I wanted him to be appointed as assistant to the man down the road near Perry Barr. Then he could have learned.
Unfortunately, I think his biggest mistake was to appoint Jones as his assistant. Here is a coach who had been a part of much the same thing at Everton - promoting keep-ball sideways tactics that frustrated  their fans and were equally unsuccessful.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3689 on: March 10, 2019, 03:51:47 PM »
After the failure of it earlier in the season we managed to revert back to five at the back and trying to pass it round between defenders and goalkeeper yet again. I really do not understand this great outpouring of outrage over the decision, over 36 games this season the management team of Moore and Jones have proven themselves be be tactically clueless. Take all emotion out of it, they had to go, whether it was now or in the summer, at least doing it now gives us a hope of promotion still.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3690 on: March 10, 2019, 04:02:35 PM »
Yep, having a top 3-5 player in the league in every position really helps when you're not great at management. In the same way I'd fancy my chances of finishing 6th if I was Man City manager  :P

If the next manager is another dud then he'll get the same treatment from me, I don't support the manager I support the club. Sadly every appointment since Hodgson has been poor so I'm not overly confident.

I’m not convinced any of our midfielders would be in the top 10 midfielders in the league to be honest.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3691 on: March 10, 2019, 04:40:00 PM »
I’m not convinced any of our midfielders would be in the top 10 midfielders in the league to be honest.

I disagree. But I'd agree central midfield is our weakest area overall, so surely the sensible option is to pack the midfield with bodies so we don't get overrun and rotate well to make up for the weakness? Moore has overused Barry and Harper to the point they look burnt out, and yesterday went with just 2 in the middle and we lost the midfield battle to the worst team in the league.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3692 on: March 10, 2019, 04:46:09 PM »
Not surprised in some ways that this has happened. It was the wrong appointment and if Moore is honest with himself he'll admit he was out of his depth.

We need to make the right appointment now. It's critical we get this right.

Wouldn't surprise me if we get a quick appointment with whoever it is having been already sounded out.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3693 on: March 10, 2019, 05:19:17 PM »
I hope we do get the appointment sorted out asap, no time to waste.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3694 on: March 10, 2019, 05:55:12 PM »
It just seems to me, we make a series of panic short-term appointments. It would be interesting to survey which League clubs had the greatest turnover of managers, but we must be near the top end. There are even several posters here who say it explicitly, lets make a short term appointment. Why would any decent coach be attracted to that for the right reasons?

We just go from one crisis to the next. Is that the owner's policy? So the next appointment will boil down to who's available in the next week, not who is the best man for the long term vision of the club. This is where a Director of  Football needs to come in, but of course, that only makes sense if he is the right man, with the right long term vision. I don't think there are enough 'football people' above training staff level at the club.  The ideal would be someone like Bomber Brown, but with experience of business.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 05:57:03 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3695 on: March 10, 2019, 06:11:47 PM »
Have any of the players put anything on social media about Darren’s dismissal?

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3696 on: March 10, 2019, 06:31:09 PM »
It took me by surprise when I saw the news yesterday but actually upon reflection it was probably the right decision. Our squad should be top two in the league and most definitely winning more at home than we have since Boxing Day. Slav for me and auto could be back on with a good run ...

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3697 on: March 10, 2019, 06:40:17 PM »

Yes, undoubtedly the best squad in the league.

When did I say they can't pass the ball and play like Sunday league players? Are you disputing the fact that our defenders are not suited to playing in a back 3 and tip-tapping the ball around? THE TACTICS ARE SUNDAY LEAGUE - NOT THE PLAYERS.

Hegazi, Dawson Gibbs and Holgate are quality players and if setup up properly, would have many more clean sheets. Anybody who has watched us this season should now that.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:29:38 PM by VANDERLEI »

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3698 on: March 10, 2019, 06:41:59 PM »
Makes me laugh how the Moore haters credited Graeme jones when it was going well, that Moore hardly had any input , then when it falls apart it’s all Moore’s fault. Can’t have it both ways.

For me there both to blame

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3699 on: March 10, 2019, 06:43:47 PM »
Why do you feel its the best squad in the league?

Between march 2017 and april 2018 this squad had one of the worst records in the country, we lost games reguarly, two managers (including one who had managed a 1000 odd games) couldnt get them to improve, in fact they showed signs of getting worse.

We finished bottom last season and Had it not been for a mini revival at the end of last season when pressure was off we would of gone down as one of the worst premier league teams ever.

Out our current squad - johnstone, bartley, gayle, hrk, murphy, hoolahan and johansen have played regularly at this level in recent years, so thats 7 players out a squad of 20 plus players.

Jrod, Brunt, mears and mozza played at this level around 8-10 years ago, a lot has changed since then. Phillips and hrk did a few seasons ago, dawson and burke have played about 10 games at this level years ago.

Holgate, gibbs, tosin, gibbs, townsend, barnes, barry, livermore, field, harper, hegazi, montero, leko, edwards have never played at this level.

So over half out squad has never played at this level and we have a few who did nearly 10 years ago, a large chunk of those players had also played reguarly in a team that lost a lot of games between march 2017 and 2018 whilst playing anti football, and also are very one paced.

So where is the evidence and why are they the best squad in a league where other teams are younger, hungrier and have been together, developed and built over a couple of years?

Maybe the fact that when the team has been setup correctly, we have smashed in a lot of goals against the auto promotion challengers and annihilated the "Mighty" Leeds. The way we smashed Leeds, QPR, Sheff Utd, Norwich is all the evidence you need to see that this squad is head and shoulders above the rest when MANAGED PROPERLY.