Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 854372 times)

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #3275 on: March 02, 2019, 09:25:05 AM »
Anyone that reads my comments will know I do not rate DM at all as a manager but I think it would be silly to sack him now when we are into the final hurdle and someone comes in who don’t know a lot about the players etc at a critical time of the season.

Automatic has now well and truely gone so it’s just about hanging onto a play off position now and hope for the best.

Failure in the play offs though and he has to go the very next day.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3276 on: March 02, 2019, 09:25:54 AM »
I don't think he's in any danger of the sack. He's a long term project with a view to bringing through the kids whichever league we are in.

Which worries me greatly. We are going to be in for many years of suffering.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 09:57:21 AM by kris_boing »

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3277 on: March 02, 2019, 09:28:54 AM »
We are facing the worst team in the league next at home.  If we don't win how can anyone make a case for performing well in the play offs (if we get there)?

And we have won once at home in the league in 4 months.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3278 on: March 02, 2019, 09:29:46 AM »
I don't think he's in any danger of the sack. He's a long term project with a view to bringing through the kids whichever league we are in.

Precisely this.

You do not sack managers at this stage of the season as you approach the final furlongs

To sack him would be unbelievably stupid. Counter productive.

The fact we are talking about a sacking - despite our reasonable league positioning reflects poorly on us in my view
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 09:57:45 AM by kris_boing »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3279 on: March 02, 2019, 09:42:39 AM »
Precisely this.

You do not sack managers at this stage of the season as you approach the final furlongs

To sack him would be unbelievably stupid. Counter productive.

The fact we are talking about a sacking - despite our reasonable league positioning reflects poorly on us in my view

He shouldn’t be sacked but I’m confused why you find it a poor reflection on fans for discussing it??

Last night was a complete embarrassment and he has got away with it for so long due to it being a poor division really. I mean come on, there is no stand out quality team and we are still in the top 6 due to that and the fact we still have majority of the squad together and the best striker in the league in Gayle.

I just do not know or cannot get my head around why this man is still being protected.

1) plays a right footed centre half at left back
2) no wide players on the pitch despite us set up to play on the counter
3) the best striker in the league playing left wing
4) no changes at half time despite a pathetic first half

Just let that sink in for a bit. That proves to me someone is in charge who does not know the basics of football.

Automatics is a right off let’s jusy hope for some luck in the play offs and if it don’t happen then he just has to go.

Not good enough at this level.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3280 on: March 02, 2019, 09:51:17 AM »
he won't be sacked and probably shouldn't be whilst the play offs are achievable.
but I wouldn't be overly bothered if he was or Jones was, something not quite right in this partnership.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3281 on: March 02, 2019, 09:54:12 AM »
Well it isn’t a poor reflection isn’t it?

There’s a reasonable chance of promotion - be that automatic or play offs

And we’re bed wetting about wanting him sacked as we approach the final furlongs

Not denying that some errors have been made - in particular last night, but it’s now down to Moore to correct those.

Managers make mistakes - but until there’s mutiny in the stands, our form severely drops off & those players no longer back him, then any talk of sackings is severely premature
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3282 on: March 02, 2019, 10:08:43 AM »

And we’re bed wetting about wanting him sacked as we approach the final furlongs

Not denying that some errors have been made - in particular last night, but it’s now down to Moore to correct those.

Managers make mistakes - but until there’s mutiny in the stands, our form severely drops off & those players no longer back him, then any talk of sackings is severely premature

Well when reflecting you have to look at the position the club is at in the table and compare that I suppose to the quality of the resources the manager has (the squad).

I wouod say we are 6-9 points behind where we should be taking into account the above. That may not seem like a lot but in reality and this stage of the season that is huge.

Managers do make mistakes but it’s how you correct them that makes you a better manager. DM continuously takes way too long to make substitutions in order to change the outcome of a football match. He continuously sticks with a certain plan for far too long which inevitably is going to cost us such as the 3 at the back, and now a huge problem is playing your best striker out wide left. Everyone else can see it, I have just watched Keith Andrews and Jimmy Flloyd saying they can see it but why can’t he???

We are 4th and now 95% chance of not finishing in the top two because of Darren Moore. Nobody else.

Let’s just hope we have some luck and go up through the play offs because if we are in this league next season we are fuc*ed.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3283 on: March 02, 2019, 10:17:44 AM »
We can't sack him right now. He picked a side up that were on their knees and had us challenging for automatic promotion up until a few weeks ago. The other 2 relegated sides have struggled to build any momentum but Moore has found a way of halting the slide from the previous 18 months and has at least given us a shot at the play offs.

If we sack him now, it would be grossly unfair and would be hard to justify, not to mention it would give certain journalists a chance to write more of their favourite virtue signalling articles.

That all said, if I was honest, I simply wouldn't back Moore to take us up either in the play offs, or have us challenging next season for the top 6 after the difficulties we would face this summer.

For everything he has as a leader, motivator and general good bloke, he isn't string with tactics, flexibility ot being able to change/adapt. We have had hardly any GREAT performances this year, instead relying on getting wins and draws thriugh sheer determination and individual bits of skill (mainly from Gayle, Barnes, Phillips and sometimes J-Rod).

We made our bed hiring him in the first place, we can't sack him now, however much I think he will fail this year.
Boing Boing

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3284 on: March 02, 2019, 10:24:42 AM »
He needs to ditch the plan of getting us up with the old stagers then overhauling - that plan had some logic while we had a chance of automatic, but unless we win 9 or 10 of our final games that ones gone now.  We might as well give the home grown players a decent run - Field on the pitch with Harper, the others on the bench to come on instead of HRK, maybe give Montero and Murphy plenty of game time to see if we want to go for them longer term.  Don't mind if one of Barry/Brunt/Livermore is on the pitch to give a bit of experience, but don't overlaod the players with instructions, let them play football.  If we squeeze through the play-offs or not at least we'll know if they're going to be a good basis to build on for the future whatever division we're in.

I think he will probably be sacked if we don't go up, unless he is given 10-15 games to see how next season starts.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3285 on: March 02, 2019, 10:26:58 AM »

He won’t be sacked. I’m not a fan but I agree he shouldn’t be either.

The position alone shouldn’t be reason not to question things though.  The manager and his assistant said themselves the aim was 100 goals and winning the league, so 10 points off and 4th is not good enough.

In most leagues a manager who those aims sitting 4th would be in trouble. The fact we have a play off scenario that could save the day in a lot of sense is very fickle. To end up in scanario where one game will change if a tenure is deemed success or failure is fickle.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3286 on: March 02, 2019, 12:04:10 PM »
We can't sack him now at this stage of the season, if we were an aeroplane taking off we have already passed V1. But the whole set up needs revaluating in the summer.
There were rumours Darren was to be offered a new contract, i hope not, this would be foolhardy in the extreme, a manager who has achieved nothing with arguably the best squad in the division.
But it wouldn't surprise me if our board extended his contract, they did with Pulis, and it saves them spending money on a proper manager.
I can understand fans wanting Darren to do well with us, and give him time to learn. But the time for learning in football is brutally short, and Darren doesn't seem to learn from even his most basic mistakes.

Sorry, it's out for me.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3287 on: March 02, 2019, 02:24:40 PM »
I do wonder if we hadn’t had Harvey Barnes, whether DM would have made it this far

Without Gayle and Barnes we wouldn’t even be in the top half of the league. Tactics were a shambles yesterday, as were the players.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3288 on: March 02, 2019, 02:27:17 PM »
Well when reflecting you have to look at the position the club is at in the table and compare that I suppose to the quality of the resources the manager has (the squad).

I wouod say we are 6-9 points behind where we should be taking into account the above. That may not seem like a lot but in reality and this stage of the season that is huge.

Managers do make mistakes but it’s how you correct them that makes you a better manager. DM continuously takes way too long to make substitutions in order to change the outcome of a football match. He continuously sticks with a certain plan for far too long which inevitably is going to cost us such as the 3 at the back, and now a huge problem is playing your best striker out wide left. Everyone else can see it, I have just watched Keith Andrews and Jimmy Flloyd saying they can see it but why can’t he???

We are 4th and now 95% chance of not finishing in the top two because of Darren Moore. Nobody else.

Let’s just hope we have some luck and go up through the play offs because if we are in this league next season we are fuc*ed.

Great post. Playing Gayle on the left is driving me insane. Huge self inflicted own goal whilst man bun skips around in the middle.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3289 on: March 02, 2019, 02:38:27 PM »
Unfortunately we are being served rubbish football.
One of the last coaches (Pulis) served us rubbish fooball and a lot of fans stayed away.

I feel the main thing he has to do is to have a game plan or two and play players in their best positions.
Not trying to shoe horn square pegs into round holes (OK...too many metaphores).
Darren has to instill pride and determination in the players.
He has to motivate them before the kick off and again at the beginning of the second half.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3290 on: March 02, 2019, 05:15:51 PM »
He cant even do the obvious,Tosim at leftback lol,Gayle on the wing,all the pace on the bench,there is still no cohesion in the team,the most disturbing factors are he will only play the youngsters when is hand is forced and tactically he is outthought in virtually every game by the opposition manager,i really think that if we had the manager of any of the other top 10 clubs in this division we would have walked this league

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3291 on: March 02, 2019, 05:56:10 PM »
I think he has done well but not great in his first management role. Pride was somewhat restored at the end of last  season and great expectations laid for this season. That being said we are supposed to have the best team on paper in the division. I don't agree with that statement as I think there are too many has beens and few quality players in our squad.

If we make the playoffs its not a bad season, if we don't go up in the playoffs then its a financial disaster. Staying down will see us lose  a number of starters and loan players going back to their teams will make things worse.

Anything but promotion and DM is gone. The team will need a complete rebuild and a new head coach.

Cunningham56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3292 on: March 02, 2019, 06:01:59 PM »
I really think some fans need to look at the bigger picture.

In the last four years our managers have been; Pepe Mel, Alan Irvine, Tony Pullis, and Alan Pardew. Just looking at those names makes me shudder. Jesus christ what a s**tshow. Those last two clowns especially ruined our club and made many fans fall out of love with the Albion. Big Dave has single handedly reignited the fans passion again and made us proud to be Baggies.

He's the nicest man in football, and one of own. This alone isn't reason to back him regardless, but it's his first management role and he deserves more of a chance. I'd rather give Moore a few seasons to rebuild us fully than hire some other clown on the cheap and fail.

If we make the playoffs, he will have my support whatever happens.

Oh by the way, if we sacked Pardew a month earlier then Darren Moore would have kept us up last season. Fact!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3293 on: March 02, 2019, 07:04:10 PM »
I really think some fans need to look at the bigger picture.

In the last four years our managers have been; Pepe Mel, Alan Irvine, Tony Pullis, and Alan Pardew. Just looking at those names makes me shudder. Jesus christ what a s**tshow. Those last two clowns especially ruined our club and made many fans fall out of love with the Albion. Big Dave has single handedly reignited the fans passion again and made us proud to be Baggies.

He's the nicest man in football, and one of own. This alone isn't reason to back him regardless, but it's his first management role and he deserves more of a chance. I'd rather give Moore a few seasons to rebuild us fully than hire some other clown on the cheap and fail.

If we make the playoffs, he will have my support whatever happens.

Oh by the way, if we sacked Pardew a month earlier then Darren Moore would have kept us up last season. Fact!
'Tis not a fact, it is your opinion

Reading a post like this always makes me think why we are where we are, as a club and in the bigger scheme as a country
There are clubs out there (Real Madrid) that have won the league and sacked the manager , I'm not saying they are right but they made a decision because they want better....always better
We sometimes don't make a decision, and the reason is because we are ok with...ok

The "fact" is there are many voicing an opinion that Moore has made many mistakes and showed repetitive naivety
the squad we have/had should be top imho we have probably the best wing backs , wingers and fox in the box (if he was allowed by the box)
Sorry to say I'd be considering a change
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Cunningham56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3294 on: March 03, 2019, 01:25:41 AM »
In general, Darren Moore is doing a decent job. Especially for a first-time manager who is effectively learning on the job. We aren't that special. There are so many big clubs in the championship, a lot of sleeping giants. Our fans just have modern memories of us being a yo-yo team in the mid 2000s so think we had a god given right of an instant return.

Teams rarely go straight back up, it's such a difficult league to navigate. Better teams than us with more experienced managers have failed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/championship/10826050/How-often-do-relegated-Premier-League-clubs-bounce-straight-back-from-the-Championship.html

In the last 28 seasons; We looked at the records of all the teams that had just been relegated from the Premier League/First Division. How many of them bounced straight back the following season?

If we got automatic promotion it would be great job done by Darren Moore. It's likely we'll be in the play-offs which is still okay, albeit probably the minimum requirement to keep his job. So he deserves another season either way.

The owners need to go, not the manager! Lai makes Peace look like a big spender
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 01:28:11 AM by Cunningham56 »

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3295 on: March 03, 2019, 08:13:47 AM »
Are the Derby fans calling for Frank Lampard’s head? They lost 4-0 to the Vile so Lampard must surely be sacked.

Who would you have replace DM? How would you know that another manager would be guaranteed to better what Big Dave has done? Sure, he has made mistakes but who doesn’t? How many players miss sitters, do they get sacked immediately? Really, I think anyone calling for Moore to get the boot should be locked in a dark room for a while to think about reality.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3296 on: March 03, 2019, 08:21:41 AM »
Are the Derby fans calling for Frank Lampard’s head? They lost 4-0 to the Vile so Lampard must surely be sacked.

Who would you have replace DM? How would you know that another manager would be guaranteed to better what Big Dave has done? Sure, he has made mistakes but who doesn’t? How many players miss sitters, do they get sacked immediately? Really, I think anyone calling for Moore to get the boot should be locked in a dark room for a while to think about reality.

Thanks for the common sense Westie, I thought it was just me😖
MAGA!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3297 on: March 03, 2019, 08:47:46 AM »
Thanks for the common sense Westie, I thought it was just me😖

The Forum's becoming quite dark at the moment isn't it?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3298 on: March 03, 2019, 09:29:57 AM »
Darren Moore is our 5th permanent manager since 2014 he is only the 2nd of those 5 to make it past 30 games. During those 5 years we hired 2 coaches with a clearly defined style of play Mel and Pulis. Plainly our squad was not geared up to play Mel's high pressing game and the outcome is well documented. Even during Pulis' two and a half years in charge we still persisted in hiring players that were never going to fit in to his style of play.

Neither Irvine nor Pardew survived long enough to have any profound influence on the squad but they didn't have any particular style of play, which in part led to their downfall.

Before this season I didn't know for sure what Moore's style was my biggest fear was that he would be some sort of Pulis clone. That fear has been allayed but he is still trying to teach the elephant to dance in that the back four (the Centre Backs in particular) and the midfield would probably be more comfortable playing Pulisball. The only problem is we do not have a target man, and as such we are not geared up for the percentage game.

At some point as a club and that includes the fans we have to back a Head Coach. There is no point in copying what Real Madrid do or any of the other giants European or English football because they can only do what they do because they have money to waste on hiring and firing managers and turning over their squads. We have to tread a different path.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3299 on: March 03, 2019, 10:19:48 AM »

Derby fans are used to fading at the end of each season in recent times.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride