Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 854424 times)

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #3175 on: March 01, 2019, 10:35:21 AM »
The thing about Darren Moore's 'achievements' last season is that in all honesty how much of the improved set of results in the last 6 games was down to him? In my opinion the answer is very little. It's the same scenario this season with Manchester United, the players obviously didn't want to play for/perform for Jose Mourinho yet they miraculously improved IMMEDIATELY after he left. I don't think Solskjaer would even begin to take credit for such a drastic, immediate change! Our players quite clearly didn't want to play for Pardew. Anybody (within reason) appointed manager would have seen an improved performance, not because of him, but because of the change in the willingness of the players to perform. Moore was extremely lucky to get the job on the back of this. I agree with your final point, the Championship is extremely poor this season.
My thoughts exactly. I didn't begrudge him his chance,and I hope he takes us up, but he takes too long to recognise the need for change, both in game, and in strategy.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3176 on: March 01, 2019, 10:40:11 AM »
Using that rationale, you are saying that the players in question, many of whom are still here, deliberately under-performed in order to lose games, just to get the manager the sack, even though it meant certain relegation? If that's true then we can't possibly have the best squad in the division, can we as this would be despicable behaviour.

Even if it was true, why did we not see an upturn when Pardew took over?

I think you are finding ways to discredit Moore's achievements to back up your argument against him.
They threw in the towel under Pardew without a doubt. Yes they let us down badly. The Leadership let us down badly too. They should have let Megson have the job for the rest of the season, and if they had we would not be playing Leeds tonight and worrying about promotion. 
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3177 on: March 01, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
Using that rationale, you are saying that the players in question, many of whom are still here, deliberately under-performed in order to lose games, just to get the manager the sack, even though it meant certain relegation? If that's true then we can't possibly have the best squad in the division, can we as this would be despicable behaviour.

Even if it was true, why did we not see an upturn when Pardew took over?

I think you are finding ways to discredit Moore's achievements to back up your argument against him.

I'm not trying to discredit Moore, I'm just playing devil's advocate and looking at it from another angle which is more that feasible and realistic. I'd love nothing more than for him to succeed, I just don't think he will and I don't think he was the right man for the job.

Regarding the Pardew point, we DID show a bit of an initial upturn, especially over New Year and into January. The three consecutive games in particular, Brighton at home, Everton away, Liverpool away (FA cup), we looked to be on the right track and showing vast improvement. Things then went drastically wrong within a fortnight surrounding the Sturridge loan and the disastrous Barcelona trip. We might never know what happened around that time but something certainly did and the players definitely downed tools.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3178 on: March 01, 2019, 11:50:55 AM »
I'm not trying to discredit Moore, I'm just playing devil's advocate and looking at it from another angle which is more that feasible and realistic. I'd love nothing more than for him to succeed, I just don't think he will and I don't think he was the right man for the job.

Regarding the Pardew point, we DID show a bit of an initial upturn, especially over New Year and into January. The three consecutive games in particular, Brighton at home, Everton away, Liverpool away (FA cup), we looked to be on the right track and showing vast improvement. Things then went drastically wrong within a fortnight surrounding the Sturridge loan and the disastrous Barcelona trip. We might never know what happened around that time but something certainly did and the players definitely downed tools.
Moore took 11 points from his 6 Prem games (and won manager of the month) Pardew took 3 from his first 6.
Sorry but I think it's grossly unfair to deny him credit for this period and it's not more feasible, or realistic, to put it down to luck. Regardless of what the players thought of Pardew, they stood up and were counted for Darren and that is an achievement that cannot be denied.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3179 on: March 01, 2019, 12:19:10 PM »
I'd take nothing away from those six games last season, personally. It could well have been the perfect storm of the players feeling no pressure as, for all intents and purposes, we were down already, it could have been tactical brilliance and mastery from Darren, we'll never know, just like those saying other managers would do better or worse with the current squad in this league, they are all unknowns that we will never be able to know for sure. I just hope he gets the chance to ply his trade in the Premier League again next season as it means he would have achieved him minimum objective this season, to get us back up.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3180 on: March 01, 2019, 02:45:14 PM »
Not getting more out of the dreadful Jay Rodriguez is hardly something to criticise Darren for. He's limped his way to 17 goals a combination of penalties/tap ins/deflections/keeper spills and handballs. The criticism for Moore if any is allowing the goals to gloss over a series of woeful performances from Jay.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3181 on: March 01, 2019, 03:41:07 PM »
Not getting more out of the dreadful Jay Rodriguez is hardly something to criticise Darren for. He's limped his way to 17 goals a combination of penalties/tap ins/deflections/keeper spills and handballs. The criticism for Moore if any is allowing the goals to gloss over a series of woeful performances from Jay.

I absolutely hear what you are saying, Jay seems to be the complete polar opposite to Markus Rosenburg who had force fields installed in the goalmouths.  I think Jay may be an example of the harder I work, the luckier I get.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3182 on: March 01, 2019, 04:17:01 PM »
Some of the comments about Jrod bemuse me.

Granted he is no world beater but the way some talk to get 17 goals is a fluke.

No way am i comparing these players as Jrod isnt nowhere near their level, but look at the goals Lineker, Van Nistelrooy, Fowler, Kevin Phillips (in his younger days) scored, most were taps in, following up keeper spillages or penalties with the odd spectacular goal! None were known for being all round great players but they scored bags of goals, every team wants a goalscorer! Were all their goals lucky as well?!

Its not luck, its instinct, its reactions, its knowing when to be in the right place and at this level Jrod can do that and do it well, he may struggle in the premier league as the reactions, etc need to be a split second quicker but this season he is just fine.

I think most clubs would take such a hopeless striker who just happens to of fluked his way to 17 goals with still a quarter of the season to go! Look on most teams forums when we play them this season, Jrods name is usually one of the names to watch.

Darren Moore has his faults as we all do and time will tell if he is the right man for Albion (personally i think he is) but to slate him for playing a player who has scored 17 goals this season so far and who also got 11 goals last season (playing as a striker in one of the most negative and poor teams of recent years) is quite something.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3183 on: March 01, 2019, 05:49:23 PM »
Spot on Albion 79.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3184 on: March 01, 2019, 06:27:56 PM »
Apologies Albionic, i think (i may of misunderstood) but you were giving credit for the harder he works the luckier he gets which isnt a bad thing.

Certainly at home i think Moore needs to try and get Gayle and Jrod as a partnership, it worked well at the start of the season but to be fair Gayle has weighed in with goals from the left too, i also think Jrods role is to try and link the play by dropping deeper, again i dont think he is great at it but at this level does a decent job and i am not sure Gayle would be able to do that role.

I just dont think playing a striker who has got 17 goals with 12 games or so left to play should be used as a negative against Moore yet it seems to be (the jrod topic itself shows it and also on here now)

Still all about opinions, its what makes it interesting!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 06:29:37 PM by Albion79 »

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3185 on: March 01, 2019, 06:52:55 PM »
No LB in the team tonight despite Townsend on the bench and continues to play Gayle out wide. Big gamble by DM.

Hope it pays off.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3186 on: March 01, 2019, 08:33:53 PM »
I believe in reacting after 90 minutes but tonight I’ll make an exception. I’m not going to be sarcastic but am seriously interested to hear peoples opinions on Darren Moore tonight.

The biggest game of the season and we are 2-0 down at half time. Work all week and stuck at Leeds watching this pathetic performance.

You DO NOT play a right footed centre half, at left back!!!!!! His positioning was all over the place for the first goal and played them onside for the second goal. DM made that decision with a left back on the bench.

Gayle still plays out wide and we have no wingers on the pitch. Unbelievable.

Hopefully some see sense tonight that unfortunately DM is not cut out to be a manager at this level.

Basic football.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3187 on: March 01, 2019, 08:38:42 PM »
Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be able to react until it's too late...would have taken Tosin off after a minute...dont think any of the players could complain if the were pulled at half time..

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3188 on: March 01, 2019, 08:39:48 PM »
Second guessing himself with Tosh on pitch and Townsend on bench, had full week to come up with planto compete with Leeds. Think he came with a plan of keep them scoreless for 60 or 70 minutes then change it to see if we can nick it.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3189 on: March 01, 2019, 08:40:40 PM »
In his defence the squad is nowhere near as good as a lot of people think it is. There's a reason we finished bottom last season and were going down with about 17 points till Moore came in.

Dawson is a average championship standard centre back, good in the air but nothing else. So many goals we've conceded since he moved to centre back where his lack of concentration just means someone gets behind him.

The entire midfield is mid-table championship level at best whichever options we pick. Barry for all the praise is 38 and horrible in every game except where we don't take the lead and sit extremely deep. Livermore has no discernable attributes as far as I can tell, Brunt was never a central midfielder and didn't suddenly become one at 33, Johanssen clearly isn't fit or looked any better than Livermore when he played, Harper has talent on the ball but needs to work a lot harder off it - that will determine what division he ends up in, Morrison and Phillips always injured.....

Out the forwards Gayle is lethal at this level, Rodriguez is OK championship forward - his goal stats heavily padded out by penalties almost all won by Gayle but as with Livermore i'm not sure what the supposed qualities of Rodriguez are really, HRK is a ten a penny championship forward we could get virtually any big lump to do the same job with the same effectiveness.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3190 on: March 01, 2019, 08:42:41 PM »
Needs to go asap. Terrible performances and tactics for the majority of the season but somehow kept us in the chase due to the fact we have many of the better players in the division (not that you would know it).

Now found wanting every single game. Blokes clueless. Top man, toss manager.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3191 on: March 01, 2019, 08:45:01 PM »
In his defence the squad is nowhere near as good as a lot of people think it is. There's a reason we finished bottom last season and were going down with about 17 points till Moore came in.

Dawson is a average championship standard centre back, good in the air but nothing else. So many goals we've conceded since he moved to centre back where his lack of concentration just means someone gets behind him.

The entire midfield is mid-table championship level at best whichever options we pick. Barry for all the praise is 38 and horrible in every game except where we don't take the lead and sit extremely deep. Livermore has no discernable attributes as far as I can tell, Brunt was never a central midfielder and didn't suddenly become one at 33, Johanssen clearly isn't fit or looked any better than Livermore when he played, Harper has talent on the ball but needs to work a lot harder off it - that will determine what division he ends up in, Morrison and Phillips always injured.....

Out the forwards Gayle is lethal at this level, Rodriguez is OK championship forward - his goal stats heavily padded out by penalties almost all won by Gayle but as with Livermore i'm not sure what the supposed qualities of Rodriguez are really, HRK is a ten a penny championship forward we could get virtually any big lump to do the same job with the same effectiveness.

Nothing to do with quality of squad. You do NOT put a right footed centre half at left back when you have a left back on the bench!!!! No wingers starting and Gayle out wide again.He is to blame
For
Tonight, end of.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3192 on: March 01, 2019, 08:47:56 PM »
If you can't get the basics right and he can't then every game will be an uphill struggle.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3193 on: March 01, 2019, 08:49:25 PM »
If you can't get the basics right and he can't then every game will be an uphill struggle.

I am genuinely intrigued to see what the fans opinions are of tonight who rate Moore and think he is doing a good job.

Had to win tonight and a complete balls up.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3194 on: March 01, 2019, 08:50:33 PM »
He’s not even made a sub. Laughable.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3195 on: March 01, 2019, 08:55:21 PM »

Nothing to do with quality of squad. You do NOT put a right footed centre half at left back when you have a left back on the bench!!!! No wingers starting and Gayle out wide again.He is to blame
For
Tonight, end of.

Completely agree. We do have the best or one of the best 2 or 3 squads in the league.
Moore and Jones were lucky in the fact the quality on the pitch got us through despite of shape and selection.
Both of them are clueless please get rid

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3196 on: March 01, 2019, 08:57:52 PM »
We are where we are in spite of these 2, not because of them.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3197 on: March 01, 2019, 09:05:18 PM »
We are where we are purely down to individual performances through the season, not team, tactics or management.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3198 on: March 01, 2019, 09:13:26 PM »
Going to be an uphill task to even make the playoffs under this clown. Time to put him out of his misery.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3199 on: March 01, 2019, 09:14:21 PM »
No one absolutely no one can defend Moore and his team selection tonight.disgraceful