Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 854492 times)

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #2125 on: November 09, 2018, 07:55:27 PM »
Honest question..
Does anyone understand what he is doing?
He did well at the end of last season, but has now found himself up against what is now a new seasen.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2126 on: November 10, 2018, 09:57:45 AM »
So, if my maths is correct, he's made over £5m playing for us.  :-[
Why did I try so hard at school and not just play it off over the park, honing my skills  :'(

Not quite I think his initial contract was relatively short (2 years?) and considerably less generous but we gave him a new contract in 2017 until 2020. Question: what is worse than peak HRK? Answer: post peak HRK. What are we currently paying for? Post Peak HRK. Will anyone ever take post peak HRK at £25k a week or if promoted at £50k a week? No. Could we have done something different and more than likely better for the same money or less? Hell yes. Unfortunately we are where we are and this is the legacy Darren Moore has to deal with.

Why do teams under perform their payroll? Off the top of my head I can think of four or five.

1. Injury. Key players get injured for instance our payroll was greatly inflated by Daniel Sturridge last season and we got zero bangs for those bucks. You can look at other examples Arsenal for instance have spent literally millions on players whose injury records have been just awful. Ramsey, Wellbeck Wilshire etc... Yes all teams suffer with injury but when 20% of your payroll is out it makes a difference.

2. Mismatch between Coaches style and players at the club. Expensively assembled and well rewarded squad has been put together to play a certain way get new Head Coach with different ideas things go wrong.

3. Jose Mourinho in his 3rd season. Yes I joke but there is a pattern.

4. Gross Mismanagement of a squad. This has several sub sections of bad management which mega rich clubs can indulge in but the mere mortals like ourselves quickly run into to trouble if we go down the path. Put simply paying too much money for too little talent.

5. Your Head Coach is Alan Pardew. It is the Loins lead by donkeys syndrome. Nothing much wrong with the squad players paid what they are worth but your club has played Head Coach roulette and the ball has landed on zero and congratulations you have won Alan Pardew. I might be unfair it is not just Alan but you get my drift.

6. A big influx of players which bloat the wage bill but don't gel. Say hello Fulham. 

Where are we? Injuries haven't played any significant part in where we find ourselves. We have 2 and 4. This squad was put together to play Pulisball and now Moore is trying to get that Elephant to dance.

I have sympathy for his position. The squad is what it is and it isn't going to be fixed overnight and even if it were see point 6 above. However the question is Moore up to the task?

We have a rookie Head Coach managing a dysfunctional squad although one that is on paper stronger than most in the division. In the case of Pulis or Pardew we had known quantities. Pulis was a functional grinder and Pardew was a fraud based on records that stretched back seasons.

Whereas Moore is still an unknown quantity. Prior to this season I would never have guessed that we would be trying to play the football we are trying to play. It might be ill advised it might be a mistake the biggest and tragically the only one he gets to make but it is undoubtedly brave has some basis in logic and deserves our support.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2127 on: November 10, 2018, 10:43:01 AM »
Big Dave could do with a win today to keep us in the pack. If we lose, although I don’t think the board will, I also wouldn’t be that surprised if they pull the trigger. 1 point from 16 is poor. If it’s a Derby style thumping it’ll he’s genuinely on the brink I think.

Think we will get a win though. Come on you baggies!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2128 on: November 10, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »
Big Dave could do with a win today to keep us in the pack. If we lose, although I don’t think the board will, I also wouldn’t be that surprised if they pull the trigger. 1 point from 16 is poor. If it’s a Derby style thumping it’ll he’s genuinely on the brink I think.

Think we will get a win though. Come on you baggies!

No I don't think he is even close to being under threat regardless of the outcome of today's game. At some point he will be and the fans will probably be calling for his head long before the board will act but we are way off that now.

Incidentally I was looking back at the Giles promotion season as I got drawn into a discussion on twitter about that era. We got off to a really slow start that year again with a new manager trying to put into practice a very different playing style. I honestly think Giles might not have made to Christmas in the modern era. Howe who was an unmitigated disaster got 4 years to wreck havoc!!

Nobody gets a chance to build anything these days in football. The last person that was afforded that luxury at the club was bloody Pulis.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:00:08 AM by Standaman »

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2129 on: November 10, 2018, 11:43:39 AM »
I don't know. I think if we were to lose by 3 or 4 goals today the boo's at full time, and the online storm afterward will be pretty loud. Follow that with a loss to Ipswich and I think its almost untenable. Even a narrow defeat today followed by a loss at Ipswich its hard to see him surviving so for me the threat is there now.

In respect of giving people a change,  I don't think anyone thought Pardew deserved any more time, and Pulis was only one manager prior.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2130 on: November 10, 2018, 11:53:00 AM »
I don't know. I think if we were to lose by 3 or 4 goals today the boo's at full time, and the online storm afterward will be pretty loud. Follow that with a loss to Ipswich and I think its almost untenable. Even a narrow defeat today followed by a loss at Ipswich its hard to see him surviving so for me the threat is there now.

In respect of giving people a change,  I don't think anyone thought Pardew deserved any more time, and Pulis was only one manager prior.

I think a defeat today would send the doubters into overdrive but the fixture that will cause him a major problem if we get tanked will be Villa at home.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2131 on: November 10, 2018, 11:59:38 AM »
I can't see how it will get that far if it doesn't pick up. Ive just looked at our history of fixtures on Wiki (which are colour coded so it only requires a quick scan).....

If we don't win in the next two games I think its our worst run of results in the second tier since we finished 21st in 1999/2000 (we went 6 or more without a win on a couple of occasions that year). As most people seem to be predicting a loss today, thats not unfathomable.

Thats nearly 20 years. In fact, it looks like we have only gone 4 without a win on 3/4 occasions over that time, and I think we have only gone 5 without a win once. Something we do today if we don't beat the side top of the league!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 12:07:54 PM by johnny Cash »

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2132 on: November 10, 2018, 01:25:17 PM »
I can't see how it will get that far if it doesn't pick up. Ive just looked at our history of fixtures on Wiki (which are colour coded so it only requires a quick scan).....

If we don't win in the next two games I think its our worst run of results in the second tier since we finished 21st in 1999/2000 (we went 6 or more without a win on a couple of occasions that year). As most people seem to be predicting a loss today, thats not unfathomable.

Thats nearly 20 years. In fact, it looks like we have only gone 4 without a win on 3/4 occasions over that time, and I think we have only gone 5 without a win once. Something we do today if we don't beat the side top of the league!
I think we went 10 games without a win under Pardew and 12 under Pulis.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2133 on: November 10, 2018, 02:12:32 PM »
I think we went 10 games without a win under Pardew and 12 under Pulis.

We've had some baaad runs in the top flight. Quick google gave me this from an old Telegraph piece on longest winless runs

12. Team: West Brom Winless run: 15  Date of last game: 16-Jan-05

Of course this has since been smashed by

◾Record consecutive games without a win, all competitions: 21 (August 2017 – January 2018)[

Although I think the original post from JC was only looking at 2nd tier football.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:22:28 PM by Oldbury24 »

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2134 on: November 10, 2018, 05:00:30 PM »
Does this bloke want the sack HRK on with Gayle on bench, so that's us playing with ten men.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2135 on: November 10, 2018, 05:20:36 PM »
Considering the club has got almost every managerial selection horrifically wrong in the last 5 years, even when it was obviously going to turn out that way, I'm scared the alternative would be even worse - just need to hope Moore picks up.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2136 on: November 10, 2018, 06:50:54 PM »
 8)

Genius

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2137 on: November 10, 2018, 07:24:52 PM »
Fantastic performance and result today. Finally went to four at the back and dropped Brunt.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2138 on: November 10, 2018, 07:49:23 PM »
Deserves great credit as he got it spot on tonight. Boing Boing

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2139 on: November 10, 2018, 08:00:46 PM »
Had to make changes and did, and it paid dividends. To the person who made the comment about DM being a cretin has either removed it or had it removed you should be ashamed of your behaviour!

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2140 on: November 10, 2018, 08:17:29 PM »
If we had lost everyone would have piled in on this thread but funnily enough now we’ve won it’s very quiet.

A tactical change and a incredibly energetic performance against one of the best sides in the league. Well done Darren and the team.

Special word for Kanu. I’m not a fan and was surprised at his selection but he was absolutely excellent and a big part of making the formation work.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2141 on: November 10, 2018, 08:20:29 PM »
I think you're wrong.  Even at half time we were waaaay better in previous games, anyone could see that.  If we'd have lost and played like that the entire game it would have still been good progress.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2142 on: November 10, 2018, 08:20:59 PM »
Does this bloke want the sack HRK on with Gayle on bench, so that's us playing with ten men.

:)

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2143 on: November 10, 2018, 08:28:47 PM »
His record against “high profile” managers is great :)

Beat: Benitez, Poch, Mourinho, Bielsa
Drew: Klopp

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2144 on: November 10, 2018, 08:29:31 PM »
Its all about fine margins, thought he set the team up well tonight and the team applied themselves well.
Phillips awesome and fair play to HRK if he performed like that every week he wouldn't get the stick he has drawn upon himself
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2145 on: November 10, 2018, 08:37:28 PM »
At last Darren uses a bit of common sense tactically and look at the performance and result. Well done to him for adapting. I'm just baffled as to why this wasn't done earlier. A blind man could see that the setup was all wrong.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2146 on: November 10, 2018, 08:45:34 PM »
Well done Darren Moore I had hoped and said he should go back to basics at the back like he did last season to get that point to halt that terrible run and you did it in a great fashion.

He still has the players on his side and today they played the way they can.

Now he must stick to this and the clean sheets will come and we've got a great chance of at least a top 6 finish, especially if we strengthen with a box to box mf in Jan.

Hopefully, Tosin can continue to grow at rb and Bartley stays on the bench before a Jan departure.

If he wants to persist with the 3 at the back, then he should do when we are winning by a significant margin or promotion has been achieved.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2147 on: November 10, 2018, 08:50:44 PM »
The back 4 was a huge improvement, in my view it was our best, most balanced performance of the season as a result.

Overall Moore did really well today and it showed. I just hope he keeps the back 4 and keeps Brunt and Bartley away from the 11 and we should start to perform again.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2148 on: November 10, 2018, 09:06:00 PM »
Okay that has bought him another 2 games :o
Delighted that he has managed to halt the slide in some style.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2149 on: November 10, 2018, 09:17:27 PM »
 Got the tactics spot against the team I believe are the best in the league.We have got to move forward with the back four because Dawson and Hegazi are decent at this level can go into work Monday with my head held high now.