Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 854394 times)

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #2000 on: November 03, 2018, 06:20:55 PM »
Even when we were top of the table, I felt we had the wrong man as the goals we were conceding, our inability to control the midfield, our away form etc was all pointing to deep problems papered over by good results in matches that we could have easily lost.

I personally don’t believe the Championship is all that complicated.  A well organized  defence, a high energy midfield and potent strike force is all thats needed for promotion. When I look at this squad compared with, for example, RDMa promotion squad, there is no reason why we should be struggling as bad as we have been.

It was right to give Moore a go. He had earned the chance and we would have kicked ourselves if we had got rid of him and he became successful elsewhere.   Now is the time for bold action and a change.

Where do you get one of those?? The kids??  Is Harper, Field and Edwards ready? Could they be any poorer.  I totally agree with you and Derby showed that, but outside of unproven youth I don't see many options.  Barry, Livermore, Brunt, Hoolahan ??  Derby had the equivalent of three or four Harvey Barnes.

Maybe we need Darren Moore to give up the experiment and go back to the TP mk 2 football that got him results at the end of last season??

Ps I don't know. Pretty confused myelf

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 06:28:57 PM by Oldbury24 »

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2001 on: November 03, 2018, 06:21:06 PM »
Moore: “I didn’t see that performance coming” - Jesus Christ. Has he had his eyes closed this season?

He also said that the performance was unacceptable, but pick the part of the quote to suit your argument.

....though I do agree it’s been coming.

baggiesboots

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2002 on: November 03, 2018, 06:27:19 PM »
Dont really see what's funny.
Every manager analyses the game

I'd Be worried if he said he was happy and wouldn't review it

The problem for DM is he's a young coach, in his biggest job so far, and it shows in his naevity. we needed to be ruthless in the summer and cull the players that have seen us get progressively worse over the last few seasons. Are we honestly staking a promotion push on the backs of Morrison,Brunt,Hegazi,Dawson?  Pfffft.   I have a lot of respect for DM and what he's trying to do, but a new era and approach required the right players to carry it off.  I'd be far happier watching younger,hungrier players developing their game and making mistakes, than the same old faces repeating history. It may be a good thing to remain in this league for a while, that way the 'bigger' players will naturally move on, and DM can build something better and more long standing. Will the board see this as an option though? Probably not, after all the PL is the holy grail for profit in the bank, which comes before fans, managers, long term ambition or anything else these days.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2003 on: November 03, 2018, 06:32:19 PM »
If only we could have signed Ryan Woods. I genuinely think he could have made this system work.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2004 on: November 03, 2018, 06:49:40 PM »
Moore: “I didn’t see that performance coming” - Jesus Christ. Has he had his eyes closed this season?
Clueless. Has repeatedly failed to see what has happened in front of him in every game this season, let alone learn from it.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2005 on: November 03, 2018, 06:52:49 PM »
If only we could have signed Ryan Woods. I genuinely think he could have made this system work.
It's been obvious since before pre season that we were in desperate need of central midfielders who can pass, are comfortable on the ball and dictating the tempo. Moore has to take a significant share of the blame for his transfer strategy of keeping the old guard together at all costs due to his excessive loyalty, at the expense of identifying and prioritising this glaring weakness which most of the fan base could see.

baggyman68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2006 on: November 03, 2018, 07:58:22 PM »
When's he getting the sack then?

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2007 on: November 03, 2018, 08:10:19 PM »
Looks like we are swiftly entering that stage where DM has to prove that he can rally a team and a dressing room short on confidence. We know he's a good bloke and 'players want to play for him' but there has to be more to it than just that. The lack of any control in the midfield area game after game is a huge concern.

I think back to the Wigan team who often played 3 at the back under Martinez and Jones - they went down in the end but had some good spells in the prem and won the cup of course...in CM they usually had McCarthy (pre injuries) and a younger McArthur who both provided some quality and played as a pair with a high work rate.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2008 on: November 03, 2018, 08:16:12 PM »
When's he getting the sack then?

We're 5 points off the top of the league after 16 games, not 5 points above relegation with 16 games to go.

Yes, the football hasn't been pretty so far this season, and we haven't won for a few matches, but calling for the sack at this stage is not going to help our cause. Not asking for names, but who realistically is there who would be a good appointment for us? No one at present.

And before anyone says "should have got dean smith", we didn't, so it's not even worth thinking about. Lots of things could have happened, but this is the situation,and managers get the sack way too early nowadays because fans are too impatient.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2009 on: November 03, 2018, 08:24:50 PM »
He wont get the sack unless we drop bottom half

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2010 on: November 03, 2018, 08:34:35 PM »
We're 5 points off the top of the league after 16 games, not 5 points above relegation with 16 games to go.

Yes, the football hasn't been pretty so far this season, and we haven't won for a few matches, but calling for the sack at this stage is not going to help our cause. Not asking for names, but who realistically is there who would be a good appointment for us? No one at present.

And before anyone says "should have got dean smith", we didn't, so it's not even worth thinking about. Lots of things could have happened, but this is the situation,and managers get the sack way too early nowadays because fans are too impatient.

I think our fans are proving to be remarkably patient. We've been pretty rubbish for three seasons now (cheers tone) and its going to take a long time for us to rebuild. I feel sorry for Darren because he has inherited an incredibly difficult task that may well hurt him hard if he can't pull it off....and that would be sad.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2011 on: November 03, 2018, 08:39:59 PM »

If we're going to go down that route, I would like to point out that we are actually only 10 points off the relegation zone, which isn't actually that far and quite worrying now that I've looked at it.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2012 on: November 03, 2018, 08:40:34 PM »
I think our fans are proving to be remarkably patient. We've been pretty rubbish for three seasons now (cheers tone) and its going to take a long time for us to rebuild. I feel sorry for Darren because he has inherited an incredibly difficult task that may well hurt him hard if he can't pull it off....and that would be sad.

Spot on. The recruitment and one dimensional management and style has left us with an aged slow squad. We don't have one decent centre midfield option at the club. we don't have a right back. Our striking department is beyond a joke- we don't have a decent one at the club.not to mention besides Phillips and Gayle and perhaps even Barnes we have a team of slow sods.

I feel for him because of these limitations however there are definately better ways to utilise the squad at his disposal.
O Albion we love you

baggyman68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2013 on: November 03, 2018, 09:07:23 PM »
So, we wait till we're in the bottom half to start looking for a replacement? By which time our season will be over.
The way we're playing shows no sign of an upturn so he should go now.
I know he's a great bloke and a good servant for the team but sentiment doesn't get promotions.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2014 on: November 03, 2018, 09:36:15 PM »

I didn't aim it at our fans, it was a general comment. But now you mention it, I don't consider WBA fans calling for him to be sacked after 16 games to be patient. And this isn't just after today's game. Last week there were a few calls, but now there are even more. As you say in your last sentence, he's inherited an incredibly difficult task, so sacking him would be unfair on him. He could have distanced himself from the post during the summer, but he obviously felt he has the ability to make it work.

If we're going to go down that route, I would like to point out that we are actually only 10 points off the relegation zone, which isn't actually that far and quite worrying now that I've looked at it.

If you're feeling that negative, why stop there? Why not look at it that we're only 15 points off the bottom of the table.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2015 on: November 03, 2018, 09:44:50 PM »
We are enough games into the season now that we should expect to see some improvement but there just isn't any.  If anything we are going backwards.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2016 on: November 03, 2018, 09:57:52 PM »
Forget promotion or play offs.
We're leaking goals and no sign of it stopping anytime soon.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2017 on: November 03, 2018, 10:36:38 PM »

I didn't aim it at our fans, it was a general comment. But now you mention it, I don't consider WBA fans calling for him to be sacked after 16 games to be patient. And this isn't just after today's game. Last week there were a few calls, but now there are even more. As you say in your last sentence, he's inherited an incredibly difficult task, so sacking him would be unfair on him. He could have distanced himself from the post during the summer, but he obviously felt he has the ability to make it work.

If you're feeling that negative, why stop there? Why not look at it that we're only 15 points off the bottom of the table.

He has to be given time. So until the last month he has got amazing results without amazing performances. Now he isn’t getting the results. But we should at least give him time to turn it around. If we get to Christmas and we haven’t won a match then perhaps it will start getting a bit serious and perhaps we will look like doing a Sunderland which is the biggest fear. But in the meantime I’m sticking by him and I would urge everyone to do the same.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2018 on: November 03, 2018, 10:52:57 PM »
His 90 minutes are up. The extra time has also gone.
Blow the whistle and leave.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2019 on: November 03, 2018, 11:42:29 PM »
He has to be given time. So until the last month he has got amazing results without amazing performances. Now he isn’t getting the results. But we should at least give him time to turn it around. If we get to Christmas and we haven’t won a match then perhaps it will start getting a bit serious and perhaps we will look like doing a Sunderland which is the biggest fear. But in the meantime I’m sticking by him and I would urge everyone to do the same.
if we haven't won a game by Christmas it won't be serious it'll be a bloody disaster.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2020 on: November 04, 2018, 12:28:05 AM »
Talking to a Norwich supporting friend at a bonfire party tonight.  He tells me that it took the new manager a season to get rid of the over paid deadwood and put together a team of (admittedly mainly German) young and hungry players all comfortable on the ball.  They may or may not say at the top but the squad they are building is progressive and being put together to meet the managers requirements.....could that happen here?

Then he made me watch the team goal they scored......check it our. Like us at our best tis season (but with more control).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 12:30:09 AM by Oldbury24 »

allenkevanastle

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2021 on: November 04, 2018, 12:33:37 AM »
Ollie, you have written down my thoughts exactly. I don't want Big Dave out of our club but the naivety that is being shown at the moment is troubling. Let's hope he, and those around him, have a re think on tactics and approach that suit the players available - and have the courage to introduce some changes, particularly where young players are concerned.

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2022 on: November 04, 2018, 07:53:55 AM »
We really should have been more patient and got Dean Smith in as a short-term plan, with Darren Moore as the long-term plan. It was a bit of a silly time to gamble in my opinion, but what's done is done. Its just a shame we look as though we might lose Darren Moore when had we have bided our time, he could have been more successful when he was ready.

I pray he'd take the step down an assistant if it became inevitable, but i dont see it personally
It would have meant Jenkins having to pay out to get Smith. Cheap option was taken.

Whenever has a caretaker manager ever done well.

We are mirroring Blackburn rovers too much here - Steve (surname escapes me) stepped in and did well for a few games , got the job, then lost control. Not been near the prem since .

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2023 on: November 04, 2018, 09:12:17 AM »
Jeremy Peace is to blame? Wow.

Sorry i forgot where i am posting, i know he is a a masturbatory object to a lot on here. I thought he did well the price he got for us considering we are a mid table championship club. A great bit of marketing there, have top players rushing to join us.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2024 on: November 04, 2018, 09:32:33 AM »
I think we really need to change to a back 4 now and stop asking the likes of Bartley to play like Pique.

Johnstone
Dawson, Tosin, Hegazi, Gibbs
Morrison, Barry
Phillips, Barnes, Sako
Gayle

Can see us improving a lot with something along those lines. I don't want Brunt or Livermore starting in CM, i wouldn't mind Brunt on the left but that would be all.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill