Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 854460 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #1925 on: October 31, 2018, 11:53:58 AM »
We knew about Gayle but Barnes was a Moore find in all fairness .
He must have found him before he was lost.
Barnes was on loan last season at Barnsley and got rave reviews.
I suspect Moore might still have a contact at Barnsley after spending 2 years as a player there.
There's the tie in.
Hardly rocket science
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1926 on: October 31, 2018, 12:05:02 PM »
He must have found him before he was lost.
Barnes was on loan last season at Barnsley and got rave reviews.
I suspect Moore might still have a contact at Barnsley after spending 2 years as a player there.
There's the tie in.
Hardly rocket science
Yes it was but if you ask Leicester fans they'll tell you Barnes had come to a stand still there much like Leko here.
We have limited funds so each deal is a risk , Moore got that one right . The player himself turned down more money elsewhere to play for Moore by all accounts.
I'm as concerned as the next and hate this 3 at the back but I'll give him credit where it's due.
Even the most obvious moves don't work out , Burke for 15m being a example so far.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 12:12:13 PM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1927 on: October 31, 2018, 01:00:48 PM »
I’ve explained why I think we should be more positive than we are. Most don’t agree. I’m flabbergasted by that. It’s really as simple as that.

We are in a good position, trying to do positive things having inherited a dodgy squad at the lowest ebb after an appalling season. To be where we are is more than I expected. We’ve clearly got some issues to iron out but given the context I’m happy. Sorry if that’s a viewpoint that doesn’t match yours.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1928 on: October 31, 2018, 01:41:31 PM »
I’ve explained why I think we should be more positive than we are. Most don’t agree. I’m flabbergasted by that. It’s really as simple as that.

We are in a good position, trying to do positive things having inherited a dodgy squad at the lowest ebb after an appalling season. To be where we are is more than I expected. We’ve clearly got some issues to iron out but given the context I’m happy. Sorry if that’s a viewpoint that doesn’t match yours.

If the latter part of your post was meant for me then I'm largely in agreement with your general sentiments. I wasn't knocking you, I'm just pointing out this place isn't the most negative Albion forum. And it really isn't.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1929 on: November 02, 2018, 09:38:58 AM »
There's been plenty for Barnes and Gayle and rightly so, because without them we'd be midtable at best.
Well for starters we wouldn't be playing with 9 men, we would have got others in
Maybe mason mount, maybe extremely lucky and get loftus cheek
Then instead of Gayle we could have had Maja from Sunderland or maupay from Brentford
We could just as easily be better off
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1930 on: November 02, 2018, 09:49:56 AM »
Well for starters we wouldn't be playing with 9 men, we would have got others in
Then instead of Gayle we could have had Maja from Sunderland or maupay from Brentford

Yeah, our record in the transfer market makes me think out that we've probably missed a trick signing Barnes and Gayle and we should have held off.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1931 on: November 02, 2018, 10:08:07 AM »

Is this a serious post zippy? 

Why on earth do you think England International Loftus Cheek would want to come and play for us?

And what has Maupay or Maja got that makes them better than Dwight?

MAGA!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1932 on: November 02, 2018, 12:37:34 PM »

Why on earth do you think England International Loftus Cheek would want to come and play for us?

Just to play devil's advocate: 11 goals and 4 assists in 13 games in the same league as opposed to 8 goals and 5 assists in 13 games.
I'm more than happy with Gayle and I do think that by the end of the season he will have much better stats than Maupay
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:39:26 PM by Hull Baggie »

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1933 on: November 02, 2018, 02:21:46 PM »
Just to play devil's advocate: 11 goals and 4 assists in 13 games in the same league as opposed to 8 goals and 5 assists in 13 games.
I'm more than happy with Gayle and I do think that by the end of the season he will have much better stats than Maupay

Maupay is an excellent player Hull, as his record shows, but was he available on loan?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 02:25:10 PM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1934 on: November 02, 2018, 02:26:30 PM »
Maupay is an excellent player Hul, as his record shows, but was he available on loan?
Don't know, but he would have been available to buy, maybe as buy to loan? We made a big offer for Dack and someone else who's name escapes me so the money would have been there for Maupay I'm sure.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1935 on: November 02, 2018, 02:56:49 PM »
Don't know, but he would have been available to buy, maybe as buy to loan? We made a big offer for Dack and someone else who's name escapes me so the money would have been there for Maupay I'm sure.

Tavernier from Rangers I believe.

Maupay is certainly on fire this year, but at the time we recruited Gayle we would not have known how good Maupay was going to be  unless we had been seriously scouting him. His record last year is 42 appearances with 12 goals, so for me saying we could have got Maupay or the other chap is great in hindsight.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 03:33:15 PM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1936 on: November 02, 2018, 03:58:00 PM »

I appreciate the reasons as to why you are positive, but that isn't the issue here. The issue here is that you and a couple of others are criticising other fans, who happen to be the majority from what I can see, for not agreeing with your position and you are saying it week in week out. I have no issue with your positivity, I disagree entirely and have seen enough in Darren to see that he is not cut out for this, but you are entitled to feel that way, just like I and others are to speak negatively about what we are watching without criticism from you and others.

Disagree with me by all means, but don't criticise others for giving an opinion.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1937 on: November 02, 2018, 04:02:54 PM »
Tavernier from Rangers I believe.

Maupay is certainly on fire this year, but at the time we recruited Gayle we would not have known how good Maupay was going to be  unless we had been seriously scouting him. His record last year is 42 appearances with 12 goals, so for me saying we could have got Maupay or the other chap is great in hindsight.

I was merely replying to your original question about what had Maupay got the Gayle hasn't, whether we would have been in for him is immaterial really as this wasn't the question you originally asked.
The fact that we made big money bids for players (I don't think it was Tavernier as we bid a relatively small amount for him) shows that the money would have been there if we had decided to go for Maupay that's all.
As stated in my original post I'm glad we got Gayle as I expect his stats to be better than Maupay's at the end of the season.

I don't want to get involved in a debate about Gayle and Maupay in what is a thread about Darren Moore. ;)

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1938 on: November 02, 2018, 05:08:27 PM »
I appreciate the reasons as to why you are positive, but that isn't the issue here. The issue here is that you and a couple of others are criticising other fans, who happen to be the majority from what I can see, for not agreeing with your position and you are saying it week in week out. I have no issue with your positivity, I disagree entirely and have seen enough in Darren to see that he is not cut out for this, but you are entitled to feel that way, just like I and others are to speak negatively about what we are watching without criticism from you and others.

Disagree with me by all means, but don't criticise others for giving an opinion.

So what’s the problem. What you are effectively saying is that you can say what you like and I can say what I like. I agree. That’s what we are both doing. Expressing our views and our frustrations. I’m not criticising people for giving an opinion - I’m criticising their opinion - and I stand by it. It’s fine by me to carry on as we are.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1939 on: November 02, 2018, 05:15:00 PM »
Yeah, our record in the transfer market makes me think out that we've probably missed a trick signing Barnes and Gayle and we should have held off.

Is that a tongue in cheek comment? These are the two players that many are hailing as our best players and using them as another stick to batter Moore because they are loan players.

So instead of praising Moore or the club for signing them, we are critical because they are only loan. And now we are saying we could have got better?

This must have been a tongue in cheek comment. Must have been.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1940 on: November 02, 2018, 05:59:45 PM »
So what’s the problem. What you are effectively saying is that you can say what you like and I can say what I like. I agree. That’s what we are both doing. Expressing our views and our frustrations. I’m not criticising people for giving an opinion - I’m criticising their opinion - and I stand by it. It’s fine by me to carry on as we are.

Would you honestly testify to that statements veracity in court? I have seen a number of posts to the contrary.

Ultimately, made my point clear on it, we shall see how you post moving forward with it in mind.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1941 on: November 02, 2018, 06:17:45 PM »

It is, but me thinks taken out of context
All I actually meant was the argument that we would be rubbish without x and x doesn't stand up, because we may have got better in....no guarantees but you never know ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1942 on: November 02, 2018, 06:47:11 PM »
Would you honestly testify to that statements veracity in court? I have seen a number of posts to the contrary.

Ultimately, made my point clear on it, we shall see how you post moving forward with it in mind.

In what situation would I be in court. Don’t be daft. But it would. Your point makes no difference to what I’ll post on this forum. I’ve said everyone absolutely has the right to express an opinion. And if my opinion is that there is a bizarre level of angst and negativity then I’ll express that opinion. Doesn’t make it right or wrong. I’ll stick to my view and if it changes it will change because I want to change it. I have found you to be fairly negative, and that’s fine, I’m just expressing my view.

I couldn’t stand Pulis, it played out as I had forecast and I’m still on a high following his departure.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1943 on: November 02, 2018, 06:49:34 PM »
It is, but me thinks taken out of context
All I actually meant was the argument that we would be rubbish without x and x doesn't stand up, because we may have got better in....no guarantees but you never know ?

Ah I get it. In the end we’ve made two very good loan signings - it’s just a shame that instead of saying well done, we find the negative.

I don’t remember when we signed Kieran Richardson there being so much negativity because he was just a loan - then again there was barely any internet then I suppose.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 06:56:34 PM by frazzle »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1944 on: November 03, 2018, 10:32:21 AM »
Darren is unfortunate in that he has inherited a situation where the fan base has grown impatient with the players who we felt let us down last season and most would have welcomed a complete clear out. Unfortunately football doesn't work like that and even if it did I am certain that the club did not have the capacity to replace virtually a whole squad.

Equally while an assistant of Jones' calibre was probably worth the wait I suspect a lot of the tactical plan turned up after the bulk of the players were in place. If the plan was to play 3 at the back then who in their right mind would sign Kyle Bartley to play on the left of a 3? At least find someone who is left footed even accepting they might not be a world beater when we are a Championship club. I suspect that Bartley had been scouted whilst at Leeds he barely got enough minutes last season for anyone to have a detailed look at him. To some extent that tells you how broken the club had become behind scenes.

None of this is Darren's fault but he has to play the hand he has been dealt which is why at the outset I was of the view that this was no job for a rookie. He needs time but nobody seems to want to give him any. I was often told during the Pulis years wait until he has own players don't rush to judgement etc... I see precious few running the same defence for Darren and frankly what he is attempting is a far greater challenge than anything Pulis did at the club. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1945 on: November 03, 2018, 10:35:37 AM »
Darren is unfortunate in that he has inherited a situation where the fan base has grown impatient with the players who we felt let us down last season and most would have welcomed a complete clear out. Unfortunately football doesn't work like that and even if it did I am certain that the club did not have the capacity to replace virtually a whole squad.

Equally while an assistant of Jones' calibre was probably worth the wait I suspect a lot of the tactical plan turned up after the bulk of the players were in place. If the plan was to play 3 at the back then who in their right mind would sign Kyle Bartley to play on the left of a 3? At least find someone who is left footed even accepting they might not be a world beater when we are a Championship club. I suspect that Bartley had been scouted whilst at Leeds he barely got enough minutes last season for anyone to have a detailed look at him. To some extent that tells you how broken the club had become behind scenes.

None of this is Darren's fault but he has to play the hand he has been dealt which is why at the outset I was of the view that this was no job for a rookie. He needs time but nobody seems to want to give him any. I was often told during the Pulis years wait until he has own players don't rush to judgement etc... I see precious few running the same defence for Darren and frankly what he is attempting is a far greater challenge than anything Pulis did at the club.

Excellent post - particularly the last paragraph. Totally agree.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1946 on: November 03, 2018, 11:01:02 AM »

I have a lot of sympathy with your comments Stan, but I find it difficult to believe that there wasn't a conversation taking place between Darren Moore & Graeme Jones during this summer's recruitment process.
If I recall, the decision to appoint Graeme Jones was taken weeks before he actually took up the post.

I'm not even sure I'd lay the blame for recruitment at Hammond's door. There is evidence to support the argument that Pulis had over ridden any recruitment offerings that Hammond had put forward.

For me, the major failing was not identifying a replacement for Pulis, & then allowing him to have all the power. That has to lie with Williams & Goodman & possibly the owner.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1947 on: November 03, 2018, 03:58:54 PM »
going to be More calls for him to go if result stays the same.

Still not heard any Moore out songs though so club won't pull trigger till fans turn.

No one really stands out who we could get in realistically. THats why we have to stick with Darren for this season

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #1948 on: November 03, 2018, 04:09:50 PM »
I’m the last person to turn normally but I can’t stand him trying to play this football with these defenders, it makes no sense whatsoever. He has 45 minutes to change my mind

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1949 on: November 03, 2018, 04:18:26 PM »

Of course some of the blame has to be laid at the feet of the coaching staff , they see the players they have most days and should be devising tactics to suit if as you say these aren't the players they wanted. Clearly something's arent working and haven't been for a number of games surely it is the head coaches job to implement changes given this scenario ?!?!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 04:43:35 PM by hardtobeat »
Baggie for life not just for Xmas