Author Topic: Roy Hodgson  (Read 143163 times)

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

Re: Roy Hodgson
« Reply #575 on: March 10, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »
Sorry not talking about the future until we are safe is just nonsense (without wishing to tempt fate if we get relegated from here I wouldn't renew his contract anyway). It just delays the process Roy is definitely angling for a a bigger and better job fair enough but I wish he would just have courage to come out and say so.

He's never going to come out and admit it is he, what sort of example does that set to the players? Its probable that if the FA offer him the England job he'll take it, if thats the case so be it. We're in the best position for years to appoint an equally talented successor.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #576 on: March 10, 2012, 01:42:03 PM »
Knowing how our club works I am not worried if Roy does leave, I dont want him too as I believe we have more chance of establishing ourselves in a quicker period under Roy but also we would be looking for Roys successor as soon as he joined the club.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #577 on: March 10, 2012, 03:21:55 PM »
He's never going to come out and admit it is he, what sort of example does that set to the players? Its probable that if the FA offer him the England job he'll take it, if thats the case so be it. We're in the best position for years to appoint an equally talented successor.

I know that is unlikely but I would rather not have this drag on any longer than necessary.  Roy seems to be taking the club a little for granted  i.e. "If I cannot find something better I might give you a couple of years" Fine if he thinks there is a better opportunity out there quit at the end of the season but don't use us a fall back option     

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #578 on: March 10, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »
I know that is unlikely but I would rather not have this drag on any longer than necessary.  Roy seems to be taking the club a little for granted  i.e. "If I cannot find something better I might give you a couple of years" Fine if he thinks there is a better opportunity out there quit at the end of the season but don't use us a fall back option     

He's only doing what Redknapp is at Spurs. I don't think any Englishman is going to immediately rule themselve out of managing the national team. A contract will be offered, if he signs it great. If he doesn't then Peace/Ashworth will have a shortlist already drawn up.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #579 on: March 10, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »
When I was just a little boy, I asked my Daddy where will Roy be?
Will it be England or stay West Brom, here's what he said to me!
Que Sera!, Sera!, what ever will be will be, lets trust DA & JP, Que Sera!, Sera! 
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #580 on: March 10, 2012, 05:31:51 PM »
Ive thought for a while if England calls Roy will take it ( dont think he is right for it but cant blame him ),i also think he is quite taken by our club and the support he has received.Providing we stay up Roy knows with a few quality additions we can go up to the next level,I'm sure he isn't being unrealistic money wise.
Could we be bigger than Fulham?,quite possibly imo if we add a bit more quality like Foster full time for instance.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #581 on: March 10, 2012, 05:42:56 PM »

So if you were in a position where your dream job was available, and there was a reasonable chance you'd get it, but you had to wait a bit, you'd just commit to your current job where you know you've got a job whatever? Really?

Hodgson owes us nothing, his task was to keep us up last year, he did it, then keep us up this year, which it looks like he'll do again. He signed a 18 month contract with a view to the England job all along, I really don't see how you can moan about that?

Frankly I thought his comments put a more positive light on the situation than first thought.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #582 on: March 10, 2012, 06:44:55 PM »
So if you were in a position where your dream job was available, and there was a reasonable chance you'd get it, but you had to wait a bit, you'd just commit to your current job where you know you've got a job whatever? Really?

Hodgson owes us nothing, his task was to keep us up last year, he did it, then keep us up this year, which it looks like he'll do again. He signed a 18 month contract with a view to the England job all along, I really don't see how you can moan about that?

Frankly I thought his comments put a more positive light on the situation than first thought.

I agree, Roy is an intelligent man, he will know that Harry is the main man in Englands thoughts, but whilst the chance is there, he would be mad to rule himself out by contracting himself to us. He has been as positive and reassuring as he can be under the circumstances.
Baggie in Southampton

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #583 on: March 10, 2012, 07:43:54 PM »
Wonder if we could tempt Moyes. We're certainly in a much better financial position than Everton.

Don't think its beyond the realms of possibility. Although I would expect him to go on to bigger and better things (top 4 etc)
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #584 on: March 10, 2012, 09:45:51 PM »
Just another example that he knows exactly what he is doing.

He is not likely to rule himself out of the England job by committing himself to West Brom.

Likewise, he is not going alienate himself at West Brom by touting himself for England job.

Whatever happens he is taking us to the next level.

Personally, I hope he misses out on England and stays with us, as although I believe we are in a position to attract the likes of a Moyes, O'Neill or a Jol, they are unfortunately all in employment with decent clubs.

Chris Hughton and half a dozen others would possibly be suitable replacements, but would either be a risk or a step backwards in my opinion.

Replacing Mr Hodgson is going to be a big decision for the Board.
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #585 on: March 11, 2012, 10:08:09 AM »

I have no problem with him holding out for the England job and would be happy for him to sign a deal with a release clause if he was offered it. I am not happy with an extended will he won't he sign saga while he waits for something better to turn up in the post England managerial merry go round.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #586 on: March 11, 2012, 10:22:35 AM »
If he takes the England job i dont blame him, and i wish him well. To keep West Brom up last was a great achievement we were sinking very badly under RDM and thankfully unlike Wolves we found a quality manager in Roy Hodgson. And it seems we are going to have a 3rd season in the Premier League. I dont worry about next season without Roy , JP and DA will already be working on it . Chris Hughton would be my pick, Derrick MIcnnes would of been a decent option but only if we were in the Championship. 
BOING BOING

BearwoodBaggie

« Reply #587 on: March 11, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »
If he does leave then the decision of who to replace him with is absolutely massive. It could be the making of our club for the next couple of decades if we get the right man in. I believe we would need someone with Premier League experience OR a Brendan Rogers/Paul Lambert figure who we know has got all the tools to succeed. Would be wary of trying McInnes just yet but you never know, he could be a good shout. Hughton - jury is still out for me, I don't see him as a step forward from Hodgson to be honest.

WincantonBaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #588 on: March 11, 2012, 10:51:18 AM »
It would be a difficult one to call. Have quite a feeling JP would go for up and coming again like RDM - I would be pleased to have someone like Ole Solskaer, the Norwegian chap who played for ManUtd, and apparently has done extraordinarily well in Norway.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #589 on: March 11, 2012, 10:52:37 AM »
Wonder if we could tempt Moyes. We're certainly in a much better financial position than Everton.

Don't think its beyond the realms of possibility. Although I would expect him to go on to bigger and better things (top 4 etc)
dont think theres a hope in hell of moyes coming to the albion

the_mighty_boosh

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #590 on: March 11, 2012, 10:56:31 AM »
very interesting tread this, who the hell voted NO!!!!!!!!! :o must be 62 dingles on here  :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:58:05 AM by the_mighty_boosh »
if i were wrong, dont you think id know it!

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #591 on: March 11, 2012, 10:59:24 AM »
Just shows you how far we have come as a club when our manager is heavly linked to the England Job. Incredible really :o
BOING BOING

tipton baggie 80

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #592 on: March 11, 2012, 10:59:39 AM »
If he does leave then the decision of who to replace him with is absolutely massive. It could be the making of our club for the next couple of decades if we get the right man in. I believe we would need someone with Premier League experience OR a Brendan Rogers/Paul Lambert figure who we know has got all the tools to succeed. Would be wary of trying McInnes just yet but you never know, he could be a good shout. Hughton - jury is still out for me, I don't see him as a step forward from Hodgson to be honest.

I agree with your sentiments, but I'm not quite sure how you can know a Brendan Rogers / Paul Lambert figure will succeed. Until this year they probably wouldnt have been viewed all that differently to a Derek McInnes type figure, who as you say, could potentially be a risk.

I actually think it will be someone like that by the way - someone who seems maybe a risk (either from the lower leagues or abroad with no PL experience) who half of us will be up in arms over. But I think JP & DA deserve the benefit of the doubt as they haven't made too many bad decisions that I recall over the last few years.
West Bromwich Albion, finishing above Staffordshire's finest when in the same league over the last 12 years

up_the_baggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #593 on: March 11, 2012, 11:04:11 AM »
Even if Hodgson signs an extension on his contract, it won't be for long, 2/3 years max?

The next managerial appointment will be huge for us, no doubt Dan Ashworth is monitoring managers at the moment - we will all ready have a short-list of names I would guess.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #594 on: March 11, 2012, 11:16:06 AM »
very interesting tread this, who the hell voted NO!!!!!!!!! :o must be 62 dingles on here  :P

I voted no.
That was on 17th Jan, when we were getting screwed because of Roys insistence on playing 4-4-2.
A few games later he finally saw the light and changed the formation to what we're good at 4-5-1 (4-3-3 when attacking).
Not rocket science is it, as most on here had been advocating that very system practically all season, but because Roy 'saw the light' he's now advocated as the second coming.
I'd still vote No, as I believe we need to plan longer term and regardless of the England job I can't see Roy being here next season.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #595 on: March 11, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »

Hughton would be perfect. Doesn't need to be a step forward from Hodgson, just younger although the natural shelf life of managers these days makes age almost meaningless.

Proven experience in the Premiership is vital. We don't need to take a punt on an up and coming manager unproven at this level. Hughton ticks every box for me.

TLMS17

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #596 on: March 11, 2012, 11:48:21 AM »
I voted no.
That was on 17th Jan, when we were getting screwed because of Roys insistence on playing 4-4-2.
A few games later he finally saw the light and changed the formation to what we're good at 4-5-1 (4-3-3 when attacking).
Not rocket science is it, as most on here had been advocating that very system practically all season, but because Roy 'saw the light' he's now advocated as the second coming.
I'd still vote No, as I believe we need to plan longer term and regardless of the England job I can't see Roy being here next season.
I voted no too and this is exactly the same reason why I did
Born For Albion     Live For Albion     Die For Albion

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #597 on: March 11, 2012, 11:53:01 AM »
Just shows you how far we have come as a club when our manager is heavly linked to the England Job. Incredible really :o

you mean Denis Smith and Alan Buckley were never linked with the England job  :P

I'd love Hodgson to be here for a few seasons, I really believe under him that he could take us to the next step which is Europe, but he needs to be backed by Jeremy.
Baggie Terra

BearwoodBaggie

« Reply #598 on: March 11, 2012, 11:57:01 AM »
I agree with your sentiments, but I'm not quite sure how you can know a Brendan Rogers / Paul Lambert figure will succeed. Until this year they probably wouldnt have been viewed all that differently to a Derek McInnes type figure, who as you say, could potentially be a risk.

I actually think it will be someone like that by the way - someone who seems maybe a risk (either from the lower leagues or abroad with no PL experience) who half of us will be up in arms over. But I think JP & DA deserve the benefit of the doubt as they haven't made too many bad decisions that I recall over the last few years.

Of course you can't know for sure that they will succeed. But unlike McInnes they got their teams playing very good football and winning a lot of games. McInnes has had a much more difficult experience at Bristol City. I wouldn't take a punt on him this summer. One good season in the Championship next year could increase his stock considerably though.

I do trust Peace and Ashworth, I'm not worried about the club even if Hodgson does go. But you only have to look at our near neighbours, Wolves and Villa, to see how a well-intentioned search for a manager can go very wrong very quickly!

up_the_baggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #599 on: March 11, 2012, 11:59:37 AM »

Hughton would be perfect. Doesn't need to be a step forward from Hodgson, just younger although the natural shelf life of managers these days makes age almost meaningless.

Proven experience in the Premiership is vital. We don't need to take a punt on an up and coming manager unproven at this level. Hughton ticks every box for me.

Spot on. I have a feeling it will be Hughton too if Hodgson leaves in the summer.

Do you think he would stay with Blues if they came up and we offered him the job? Hypothetically of course ;D