0 (0%)
Rory McIllroy
0 (0%)
Sarah Storey
0 (0%)
Katherine Grainger
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Sports Personality of the Year Award  (Read 6260 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Sports Personality of the Year Award
« on: November 29, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »
The twelve contenders were drew up the other day so vote for your favourite and a brief explanation as to why would be nice.

I personally would vote for Andy Murray who has had a terrific year. To suffer the Wimbledon heart ache but respond with a Gold and Silver medal at the Olympics followed by the US Open is very impressive and therefore would get my vote. I actually felt unfair leaving the likes of Farrah, Ainslie and Ennis out who have also had tremendous years in their particular sports. All the contenders deserve the accolade and it's unfortunate only one will win.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/20466947
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sports Personality of the Year Award
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
People have not been nominated this year who have done more than past winners.

I went for Murray, for much the same reason as you Liam. Although you can't say any one of them doesn't deserve it.

albiontilidie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:59:21 PM »
I would be so gutted if Murray wins this,

Bradley has to win it, Not just a gold medal winner but a multi race winner of the year winning some very big races, Non more so than Tour De France, first British winner ever

1. Bradley
2. Mo
3. Ennis
4. Murray
5. Weir
Final 7 anyway round but doubt any of the other even have a chance of even making the top 3
Oh Nottm Oh Nottm is full of fun is full of fun

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »
What a fantastic selection we have to choose from. There are some truly inspirational and refreshingly grounded individuals there. And what a surprise...there are no footballers.

Personally for me it has to be between Murray and Wiggins because not only did they have fantastic Olympic games, but they also achieved greatness in their respective sports away from London. Personally, due to being a big tennis fan, I'll be voting for Murray. To win a grandslam title in unquestionably the greatest era of tennis ever is an achievement of epic proportions. The to throw in an Olympic gold and a Wimbledon final just reinforces the greatness of his year. I've never voted on these TV phone-ins, however I will be this time.

And too think of all the "he'll never win a grandslam" taunts he's had to endure...
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 05:38:46 PM »
I went for Jessica Ennis, not only did she have a fantastic Olympics, shes got a great personality & she's a real babe  ;)
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 10:15:56 PM »
I went for Jessica Ennis, not only did she have a fantastic Olympics, shes got a great personality & she's a real babe  ;)

I'd give it to her.

The award still goes to Murray though  :P

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 10:30:24 PM »

Sheffield United named a stand after her, although the most cringey publicity stunt I've ever seen in my life.

I'm sure one could make numerous jokes out of that. At the back of Jess Ennis etc.  :D

I think Jess Ennis' inclusion is aided by the fact she was involved in that golden Saturday. It was a day that those which saw it will never forget when Great Britain went gold medal crazy. The sense of pride in the country after that day went through the roof and Ennis like Farrah and the others on that day (whose names I can't remember) helped to create that. A legacy which probably won't be forgotten.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 10:33:40 PM »
Wiggo for me.

Won and conqured one of the toughest and most greulling sporting events in the world and also won an Olympic gold on top of that.

Murray 2nd. Mo 3rd.
"This crack is really moreish."

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 03:41:35 AM »
I would have voted for Wiggins but I'm always sceptical about whether they have actually won it on merit or whether they're the latest person to take enhancing drugs or similar practices. It landed nicely how in the same year he managed to reach the pinnacle of his career and win the Tour de France and the Olympic medal in such a monumental year for Britain (hosting the Olympics etc). Surely a big improvement on past achievements? I'm not saying that he cheated, but given the history of the sport, I think it would be a little naive to discount this type of thinking.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 04:07:39 AM »
Murray, Ennis or Mo...

Wiggins SHOULD win it though.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 06:16:39 AM »
I voted Wiggins.
First time its been done by an Englishman.
Ellie Simmonds would be up there for me as an inspirational sports person.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 08:39:02 AM »
Stale solbaken :D
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

the_mighty_boosh

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 08:44:15 AM »
iv gone for Jess Ennis, simply because she did the lot, running jumping and throwing, that makes her fitter :P than anybody
if i were wrong, dont you think id know it!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 03:29:20 PM »
i would have voted for Jez and Steve, they have done a stirling job in their respective sport.They remind me of the Chuckle brothers
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 03:51:13 PM »
David Weir, a talented athlete, 6 Gold Medals in the Paralympic games ( 2008 - 2 gold ) ( 2012 - 4 gold )
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 10:03:13 PM »
without doubt the best lineup ever! still dont know who to choose! simply a fantastic year for British sport :D

baggies37

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 10:36:30 PM »
Murray..just. Wiggo very close second..
norwich baggies

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 03:54:55 AM »
Ben Ainslie- First sailor to win medals in 5 different Olympic games, only the third to win 5 or more medals in the sailing category and the second to win 4 golds, was the first torch bearer in the UK, and flag bearer of the closing ceremony (surprisingly It does matter as a position). Won the Finn world Championships in Falmouth this year for 5/6th (however you count them) time too. Oh, and He's now one of the most decorated and successful sailors in history if not THE most successful ever.

The problem I have with cyclists (bar individual cycling events) is that it's a team sport, Wiggins didn't win the Tour de France on his own, his team let him and helped him win, To me it's like giving one player the Premier League trophy when the rest of the team worked just as hard for none of the credit.

joeymayo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 10:42:23 AM »
The award says Sports Personality of the Year, not Sports Personality for two weeks, so on that basis Murray who plays tennis all year round will get my vote, as for the others not too fussed although I think Wiggins deserves a mention as does the Paralympian who won all those medals.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 04:31:15 AM »
The award says Sports Personality of the Year, not Sports Personality for two weeks, so on that basis Murray who plays tennis all year round will get my vote, as for the others not too fussed although I think Wiggins deserves a mention as does the Paralympian who won all those medals.

Bit flippant, 4 years training goes into an Olympic performance... They don't just sit around waiting for leap years so they can do their thing... You might as well say Murray has had two good days in a year?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

weareblueweare white

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 09:46:37 PM »
If Wiggins does`nt win it I hope Mo does, but my vote goes for Bradley. Dominating what must be one of the ultimate physical challenges in sport (and drug free) for the first time by an Englishman goes down in history.
Team collapse of the year.......Wolves. Sack Mick after the shame of losing 5-1  to us and replacing him with his assistant while ploughing money into a stadium expansion and museum.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 02:07:57 AM »
People have differing opinions on sports personality with many slagging it off this year saying "how are you supposed to pick a winner, this year of sport should not come down to a popularity contest" however here is something intriguing about the contest.

This is without a doubt the strongest field ever, after our strongest year of sport in the isles history.

Bradley Wiggins gets my vote for not only his gold medal at the Olmpics but also for being the first ever Brit to win the Tour De France - something quite unique.

Andy Murrays year will be a big challenger as well becoming the first British male in years to in a major as well as his Olympic gold while losing in the Wimbledon final. I think the Wimbledon final loss was probably the moment his detractors finally accepted him.

Jesica Ennis came into the Olympics with the pressure of being the face of the games but she still managed to come through so I would be happy if she won.

Farah's incredible double gold is also a great moment deserving him of the crown however his nomination seems to have been hijacked by those wanting to make a political point of how great it is for multicultural britain and how this makes him more deserving than others and so Im leaning towards hoping the others win a little more, although I wouldn't begrudge it him as he is a top man.

I feel sorry for David Weir and Sarah Storey, as well as my personal favourite gold o the games Ben Ainslie.  In other years, Weir's 4 gold medals in one games, Storeys incredible career medal haul and Ben Ainslie's 4th olympic gold, would be enough to win the SP of the yar however the field will be too strong for them this time.

Whoever wins, it has been brilliant year, even with the footballers failing as usual and the boxers, cricketers and rugby players all lulling a little bit. 
Boing Boing

RuncornBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 12:41:03 PM »
I don't like Andy Murray!  I would rather see Steve Bull win it before him!   :P

I voted for Bradley Wiggins, a true champion.......and a nice person. 

The Tour de France is a gruelling race, to win that drug free is a real feat of endurance!
Heyyyyyyy, Tim Sherwood, Oooh, Aahh, I wanna knowwww..........Why you're such a.............

jsam

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 01:18:33 PM »
I'd like a Paralympian to win it - just to send out a message that elite sport is exactly that. Therefore my head says David Weir, but my heart and my vote tonight will go for Ellie Simmons. This is Sports Personality of the Year remember and she has personality in spades. And still only 17.

Realistically though, the cycling community will be mobilised just like it was for Mark Cavendish last year, and vote for Bradley Wiggins. Nothing wrong with that, and he will be a worthy winner.

But smiling Ellie for me.
Remember the past - learn from it

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 10:32:24 PM »
3rd - Andy Murray
2nd - Jessica Ennis
1st - Bradley Wiggins

Well deserved and I must congratulate Jessica Ennis on a fantastically shaped backside  :D

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 10:41:12 PM »
I have to agree with that, Phil. Wonderful backside, even better in that red dress. Gaz accused me of being a 'sex pest' until he actually saw her  :D

I'm disappointed that Andy Murray never won it to be honest. He's had a fantastic year, its just a shame there were so many candidates to choose from.