Author Topic: Sam Field Joins QPR  (Read 216586 times)

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Field
« Reply #350 on: October 25, 2018, 12:48:13 PM »
I believe it was him who refused the loan option instead deciding to stay and fight for a place in the team.

Indeed it was. He felt he could get game time, and learn from players such as Barry and Krychowiak.

My biggest fear is that Moore decides it was his fault that the midfield got overran last night and leaves him out for ages again. Brunt was the non-entity (and it pains me to say that), but he's left Brunt in all season.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #351 on: October 25, 2018, 12:53:44 PM »
Would like to see Field playing alongside Livermore.
With Livermore does most of the defensive work and Field can go forward to support the front, yesterday he nearly get a goal in 2nd half.
Hopefully he won't become the scapegoat for last night defeat in Moore's mind.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 12:55:15 PM by koren »
The PRIDE of midlands

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #352 on: October 25, 2018, 01:22:37 PM »
His cause wasn't helped by being played to the right of a one paced two man midfield (both left footed).

He's much more comfortable on his left and we were totally unbalanced in the middle.

Sam should have been on the left of that pairing with the more experienced Brunt on the right.

It's not a coincidence that his performance improved once he and Brunt swapped over.

That said I hope to never see that particular pairing on their own in the middle again.

Reminded me of a very lightweight version of Barry and Yacob v Southampton - ie, terrible.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #353 on: October 25, 2018, 01:35:57 PM »
I personally think he looks more of a Barry type player than a box to box.

I think it was the Newcastle game he got forward a bit last season but most of the other time he tends to sit in the midfield and keep the ball ticking over, he has more energy and legs than Barry and is likely to get forward a bit more but doesnt have the quality or experience of Barry yet.

I think he deserves a run of games but if i was him and i got dropped saturday and Brunt kept his place in there then i would be knocking Big Dave's door monday morning and asking for a loan move away on January 1st, for Fields career he needs a run of games and its not right that Brunt is getting picked ahead of him when Brunt is a liability in there.

I dont think Field is the dynamic midfielder we have been lacking for years but he is still potentially a good player for us, Barry and him should be competing for that sitting / dictating midfield role (like Huddlestone played last night) with Livermore and ANother competing for the combative and closing role.

PS - On Brunt, he looks lost and frustrated centre midfield and its ruining him, right at the start of the second half something didnt go for him and he just booted it back to Johnstone whilst having a strop, it was like a hissy fit, then later in the second half he was waving his arms having another strop and Derby just burst past him and nearly scored.

He has never been captain material, he seems to get too frustrated but i think if we keep playing Brunt centre midfield we will tarnish an Albion great, have him to compete to play on the left and he can still be a big asset to us.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #354 on: October 25, 2018, 01:47:07 PM »
I personally think he looks more of a Barry type player than a box to box.

I think it was the Newcastle game he got forward a bit last season but most of the other time he tends to sit in the midfield and keep the ball ticking over, he has more energy and legs than Barry and is likely to get forward a bit more but doesnt have the quality or experience of Barry yet.

I think he deserves a run of games but if i was him and i got dropped saturday and Brunt kept his place in there then i would be knocking Big Dave's door monday morning and asking for a loan move away on January 1st, for Fields career he needs a run of games and its not right that Brunt is getting picked ahead of him when Brunt is a liability in there.

I dont think Field is the dynamic midfielder we have been lacking for years but he is still potentially a good player for us, Barry and him should be competing for that sitting / dictating midfield role (like Huddlestone played last night) with Livermore and ANother competing for the combative and closing role.

PS - On Brunt, he looks lost and frustrated centre midfield and its ruining him, right at the start of the second half something didnt go for him and he just booted it back to Johnstone whilst having a strop, it was like a hissy fit, then later in the second half he was waving his arms having another strop and Derby just burst past him and nearly scored.

He has never been captain material, he seems to get too frustrated but i think if we keep playing Brunt centre midfield we will tarnish an Albion great, have him to compete to play on the left and he can still be a big asset to us.

Exactly how I see him both now and in terms of future development.

Metronome player, nothing spectacular, generally does what he does well and keeps the game ticking over with an eye for a pass.

I think he's got a very good future ahead of him if used correctly.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #355 on: October 25, 2018, 02:15:14 PM »
Exactly how I see him both now and in terms of future development.

Metronome player, nothing spectacular, generally does what he does well and keeps the game ticking over with an eye for a pass.

I think he's got a very good future ahead of him if used correctly.

This is how I've always thought of him but saw things yesterday, in particular his willingness and ability to carry the ball forward from midfield, that made me have a rethink. I know he didn't hit the target with his attempt but looked comfortable in their box and I thought his energy levels were good throughout. I think we all agree he can certainly have a good future and I want to see him have a chance to play.

allenkevanastle

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #356 on: October 25, 2018, 02:53:04 PM »
Just want to back up the comments on what an unbalanced midfield the lad had to play in last night. We all know that Brunt (and I speak as a Brunt fan) is not a centre midfielder - too slow on the turn, unable to change direction, desperately one-footed etc - so to put Field who is also left sided in there with him is hard on him. Strangely, I think he may well become a good defender who IS able to play in a back 3, pass or bring the ball out confidently, can make those crucial tackles and will concentrate for 90 minutes.
I certainly hope we see more of him.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #357 on: October 25, 2018, 07:25:06 PM »
A difficult game for him to come into given Derby's pace and movement and the fact we were outnumbered in the central area for most of the game. The fact he's been used more as a defender in the Caraboa probably hasn't helped either. I think confidence through lack of game time was an issue especially as the game quickly became very difficult for us and Derby were allowing us very little time on the ball. I hope he keeps his place in a 4-3-3 setup on Saturday. 
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #358 on: October 25, 2018, 10:07:34 PM »
I think it's harsh to criticise him too much for his performance last night. The only game-time he's had prior to last night was playing in the back 3 and he's pretty much spent the rest of the time kicking his heels. To then expect him to get immediately up to speed playing in midfield is asking a lot IMO.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #359 on: January 03, 2019, 12:27:45 AM »
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/01/02/west-brom-target-midfielder-to-help-deal-with-jake-livermores-four-game-ban/

Matt Wilson saying we're looking at a cm option to cover for Livermore during his suspension doesn't bode well for the likes of field or Harper. Perfect system to blood field or Harper in along side 2 senior players Barry/Morrison & Phillips.

Needs a loan if he isn't going to get a go over the next few weeks
O Albion we love you

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #360 on: January 03, 2019, 12:31:31 AM »
Field has to be Livermore’s replacement along side Barry and Phillips.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #361 on: January 03, 2019, 12:38:18 AM »
He's obviously not good enough.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #362 on: January 03, 2019, 07:41:58 AM »
I can't see us bringing in a midfielder just to cover a suspension surely? Can't see there being any truth in this.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #363 on: January 03, 2019, 07:51:35 AM »

Sadly I have to agree. I have never been very impressed to be honest, I think people are clutching at straws to have "one of our own" in the team
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #364 on: January 03, 2019, 08:40:55 AM »
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/01/02/west-brom-target-midfielder-to-help-deal-with-jake-livermores-four-game-ban/

Matt Wilson saying we're looking at a cm option to cover for Livermore during his suspension doesn't bode well for the likes of field or Harper. Perfect system to blood field or Harper in along side 2 senior players Barry/Morrison & Phillips.

Needs a loan if he isn't going to get a go over the next few weeks

The idea of bringing a player in just to cover a suspension seems crazy when you consider we are well stocked in that department.

If we are serious about bringing in a centre mid, Field and Harper HAVE to go out on loan for the remainder of the season.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #365 on: January 03, 2019, 09:42:34 AM »
Field has to be Livermore’s replacement along side Barry and Phillips.

I rate Sam Field but if we're looking to replace Livermore with somebody from the youth set up then the more natural replacement would be Harper.

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #366 on: January 03, 2019, 10:09:44 AM »
Coaches pick teams they think will win them matches. They get sacked if they don’t.

A number of coaches now seem to have decided not to pick Sam. Seems a great lad, but the consistency of judgement is unmistakeable.

There’s still time, but Sam’s 21 in May and won’t be a “young promising local kid” forever.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #367 on: January 03, 2019, 10:10:54 AM »
If it's that obvious why do we keep giving him contract extensions ?

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #368 on: January 03, 2019, 10:14:05 AM »
Coaches pick teams they think will win them matches. They get sacked if they don’t.

A number of coaches now seem to have decided not to pick Sam. Seems a great lad, but the consistency of judgement is unmistakeable.

There’s still time, but Sam’s 21 in May and won’t be a “young promising local kid” forever.
But Pulis did pick him for what was a reasonable number of games at that stage of his development in the prem. Megson picked him (and said he has the best passing range at the club). It's just this season that he's not getting the number of games you'd expect at this stage of his development and at Championship level.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #369 on: January 03, 2019, 10:26:12 AM »
Does make you wonder. Seems he's not good enough to play, but too good to let go.
Someone else mentioned that he is used a lot in promotional photos etc. A cynic might suggest the fact that he is a local lad and very photogenic are having as much of an impact than his footballing achievements.
If we are bringing someone in to cover Livermore then it would be best for Sam to go out on loan, at the very least.
On a more positive note though, it may also mean that the penny has finally dropped that Brunt is not the answer in CM.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #370 on: January 03, 2019, 10:30:10 AM »

To see if we can make a few £££

Any amount made through a sale is likely to pay for his development.

Agree with others - Sam Field needs to go out on loan.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #371 on: January 03, 2019, 10:38:54 AM »
To see if we can make a few £££

Any amount made through a sale is likely to pay for his development.

Agree with others - Sam Field needs to go out on loan.
Well it could be that, but I don't think it is personally. He's been in England age group teams so what we are saying is that despite that and him not looking out of place when played in the prem, we don't think he's good enough but we'll make sure he's contracted for the next 2 or 3 years so we can make some dosh.
The whole situation is weird including with him not going out on loan to date. He certainly needs to go out on loan or this year will be a total non event for him at senior level the way it's going.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #372 on: January 03, 2019, 10:48:16 AM »
Well it could be that, but I don't think it is personally. He's been in England age group teams so what we are saying is that despite that and him not looking out of place when played in the prem, we don't think he's good enough but we'll make sure he's contracted for the next 2 or 3 years so we can make some dosh.
The whole situation is weird including with him not going out on loan to date. He certainly needs to go out on loan or this year will be a total non event for him at senior level the way it's going.

That's pretty much my take on it too Adder. He certainly didn't look out of place in the premier league and the only time I've seen him have a poor game was away at Man City but on that night everyone of the midfielders had a poor game and man City have some of the best midfielder players in the world.
He's got a good passing range and puts his foot in and makes a tackle which is what we sometimes lack in midfield.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #373 on: January 03, 2019, 10:51:15 AM »
Considering Darren Moore was employed to coach and monitor our academy products, he has used them very poorly throughout his tenure as a gaffer.

I agree with others - seeing Hoolahan & Mears included above the likes of Field, Harper etc is frustrating.

Personally, I'd rather see potential be given a try rather than a has been.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #374 on: January 03, 2019, 11:20:07 AM »
I may be a million miles off here and I've seen no-one else suggest it so I probably am but I wonder if Sam's confidence has been affected by the treatment he received under Pardew - all that "are you shitting it" stuff at Man City last season.

Up until then Sam's career was looking promising he'd done well in his Premier League appearances but once Pardew arrived it has been all down hill.

This season should've been a breakthrough one. It hasn't happened.Darren Moore hasn't helped by playing him at centre back in the Carabao Cup where he looked like a fish out of water, he didn't know the position at all and then playing him (a left footer) right side of a midfield two at home to Derby when the senior player Brunt should've played right side. Derby destroyed us that day and that experience following the Carabao Cup ones can't have done anything to help Sam progress, in fact completely the opposite.

At the moment it looks like he needs a loan move just to try and rebuild himself. He has ability, no doubt about that but his progression has stalled. I'm wondering if Pardew started the rot?