Author Topic: Leaders  (Read 1248 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Leaders
« on: July 18, 2020, 11:47:55 AM »
To my mind successful football teams need 'leaders'. These are usually older, more experienced players with a natural authority who are vocal on the pitch offering encouragement or, where necessary, an earful. Leaders are particularly necessary to help dig a team out when things are not going so well. In my opinion, only Austin, Livermore, Gibbs, Bartley and maybe Hegazi could be considered as such. However, because other footballing skills are also required, they cannot all be automatic first team choices. Brunt and Barry are clearly also in this category. Leadership qualities in a goalkeeper are especially significant, and that was most obvious in the case of Foster.

Last night the lack of enough leadership qualities on the pitch is one of the reasons we were beaten. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Leaders
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 11:57:57 AM »
A fair point. Our team is full of ballers who while technically good haven't much resolve between them. The only who gets the bit between his teeth and gets stuck in is Livermore. No surprise both times he's come off its fell apart.

Football teams are all about balance and we have little of that.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 11:59:43 AM »
I also think we’ve struggled a physically especially since lockdown. We don’t look fit and our midfield and forwards are so lightweight. You need to win the battles before you can impose your quality on a game and sadly we haven’t done that. I lost count of the amount of 50/50’s we’ve lost or second balls not contested.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 12:05:06 PM »
A fair point. Our team is full of ballers who while technically good haven't much resolve between them. The only who gets the bit between his teeth and gets stuck in is Livermore. No surprise both times he's come off its fell apart.

Football teams are all about balance and we have little of that.

100% correct.

This is why we need 433 and why in that shape Grosicky offers us so much because we are better balanced as a team. We are full of players who all like the ball to feet and numerous touches when they receive the ball - Pereira, Sawyers, Krovinovic, Diangana ......

Too easy to play against for teams who defend deep.its no surprise weve struggled all season with such teams.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 01:23:01 PM »
Once Livermore went off the only person who seemed to be trying to pull everyone up by the socks was O'Shea - Quite telling that the youngest (?) in the squad was the one doing this. He'll be a captain in the future i'm sure.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty