Author Topic: 11 May 2019 Aston Villa 2 Albion 1 (Play Off 1st Leg)  (Read 94465 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #550 on: May 12, 2019, 11:56:23 AM »
He didn't get a red earlier in the season, he got a retrospective ban

He's got a 2 match ban, why are you disputing it?  ;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #551 on: May 12, 2019, 12:13:31 PM »

He's got a 2 match ban, why are you disputing it?  ;D

Its all in the fine points though, he didn't get sent off, he got a retrospective ban, if he had been booked in the game it would have been a yellow not a red. Its not or shouldn't be a simple decision.

If it was Livermore then we would have no complaints as its black and white, 2 sendings off, with Gayle its a grey area.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Graham Scott
« Reply #552 on: May 12, 2019, 01:11:59 PM »
Just reading-up on the referee yesterday. Did the management do any research pre-game into him? They should have. His wickipedia entry states "he has established a reputation for consistent game management, as well as actively discouraging time-wasting". We went to Villa with a deliberate tactic to slow down the pace of the game as much as possible to try to keep the crowd quiet. He already warned Gayle for taking too long to move over to take a long throw. Gayle himself was running around involved in a lot of battles all over the pitch, just what you don't want a player on a yellow card to be up to. We should have been smarter, that first yellow card was avoidable. From them on our best player who we are hugely dependent on was on a tightrope. Any mistake and his SEASON was over, not just the second leg. The Villa players and bench were alive and trying to get him sent off. We had a warning when one of theirs was play acting near the bench to get him sent off and the referee played on. Still we did nothing. No reaction.

Bearing in mind our game anyway was to run the clock down rather than attack. We could have substituted him and saved him for Tuesday. In the grand scheme of things it would not have made much difference.

Instead we bring on Murphy (usual non-league standard of performance, complete disaster) and then Morrison. Morrison with a chance to put a cross in, makes a complete mess of it and puts it way too close to the keeper. Gayle follows through and the rest is history.

Back to Scott - "Scott played football at youth as a goalkeeper for Abingdon Town F.C. in the lower leagues. A long-term back injury was a persistent problem; fearing permanent damage, he retired from competitive football at the age of 27".

So the referee was a goalkeeper who retired with a back problem. There is Gayle clattering into the Villa keeper who in turn performs a circus act to pretend to be more injured than he was, being alive to the need to get Gayle sent off.  Just like Grealish taking advantage of dopey Gibbs going to ground for the penalty. Our management and players are as thick as anything - the naivety is incredible. Contrast with Villa, making the most of every opportunity to twist decisions in their favour.

The decisions going against us wasn't just bad luck, it was a lack of preparation, bad decision making and failure to react to what was going on during the match. Had we been a bit more street smart it would have been avoided.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 01:14:23 PM by baggie82 »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Graham Scott
« Reply #553 on: May 12, 2019, 01:18:31 PM »
It doesn't matter what the referee's background is he should be doing the job properly not being influenced by his own past.

He was wrong in most of what he did yesterday plain and simple.

If he's such a consistent ref as stated above how come Villa got a free kick for Gibbs hand in the face and we didn't for Hourahan's on Gayle? How come Villa got a penalty and we didn't when ours was at the very least equally deserving? How come Gayle got booked for time wasting when towards the end Taylor did the same thing and the ref stood there with his hands behind his back?

Load of rubbish. He's there to do a job properly.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #554 on: May 12, 2019, 01:31:43 PM »
Atomic, I agree we should have had a free kick when Gayle got a hand in the face and a penalty when Holgate was barged into. The ref made mistakes and they went against us. The wider point is that the management, particularly at half time should have seen the warning signs and had a word with Gayle. I'm also annoyed at how we let that first yellow card come about. It's a habit. At Derby on the final day with nothing to play for Johnson got booked for time wasting. The players just don't seem alive to the situations on the pitch. They just play through their pre-programmed routine regardless. For a striker to get booked for time wasting in the first half of a game takes some effort of stupidity, even with an overzealous ref.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #555 on: May 12, 2019, 02:07:11 PM »
I'm with you Baggie82. We're meant to have professionals running and playing for the team, yet they constantly don't seem up to what I consider to be fundamental, school boy stuff.

As you say, if they'd done their research they'd have known what type of ref he is and the type of rules he's strong on. We are brainless at times and it's immensely frustrating.

For me, it comes back to the gaffers not being able to complete at the highest level. We're a small time mentality club who only ever thinks about 3 games ahead.

With regards the ref, he definitely bottled our decisions and was probably overawed by the occasion.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #556 on: May 12, 2019, 02:40:55 PM »
As well as being a very poor referee, he was also a urine-taker. Whilst facing us and with Neil Taylor actually taking longer over a throw in than Gayle did he stood there actually laughing tw@t.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 05:45:54 PM by iwastherein68 »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #557 on: May 12, 2019, 02:48:10 PM »
As well as being a very referee, he was also a urine-taker. Whilst facing us and with Neil Taylor actually taking longer over a throw in than Gayle did he stood there actually laughing tw@t.

Yep. Apparently it's now our duty to vet referee's.

Here's me thinking they are paid / instructed to apply the laws of the game fairly.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #558 on: May 12, 2019, 05:32:25 PM »
He didn't get a red earlier in the season, he got a retrospective ban

I meant he had a retrospective red. Technically you are correct
Thanks for being a pedant  ;D
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #559 on: May 12, 2019, 05:59:58 PM »
I meant he had a retrospective red. Technically you are correct
Thanks for being a pedant  ;D

:D I do try

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #560 on: May 12, 2019, 06:42:16 PM »
Can't believe people are giving up, we are very much still in this tie.
Those old enough should remember Swansea, 2-1 down 1st leg, won the home leg 2-0 in one of the greatest Hawthorne nights in modern history.
Ok Gayle is out, time for someone else to become a hero.
Coyb.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #561 on: May 12, 2019, 06:46:58 PM »
Been confirmed now.

It's an absolute joke, I'm literally fuming over it.  His 'dive' wasn't even that bad, there were legs in the way and he went over.  Players do it all the time.  Grealish's was worse in that respect in that Gibbs feet were grounded.  To get banned for 2(?) games then, and then another 2 games it's ridiculous.

And when you get that Villa player getting away with throttling a Leeds player?  And what about the Leeds player who went down holding his face, didn't that deceive the referee and affect the result? It resulted ina red card.

Can the FA honestly tell me that nobody else has dived in the top divisions this season?

it was Patrick Bamford and he got a 2 game ban for deceiving an official

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #562 on: May 12, 2019, 06:54:18 PM »
just a small point about the time wasting yellow card. Mears was going to take a quick throw in but Holgate told him to stop and wait for Gayle to take it. It happened right in front of me, wish Mears had ignored Holgate.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #563 on: May 12, 2019, 07:21:33 PM »
If there is any justice at all then Grealish will be banned. Gibbs takes the ball then he dives. Let’s wait and see.

No chance of that, EFL seem to make up rules to suit their whim.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #564 on: May 12, 2019, 07:22:34 PM »
This guy has tried to destroy our immediate future - remember his name with rage on Tuesday and push our lads on to get through.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #565 on: May 12, 2019, 10:20:48 PM »
One of the biggest homer refereeing displays I have seen for a very long time complete tw*t.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #566 on: May 12, 2019, 10:32:53 PM »
Neutrals all over the place calling his performance. Didn't get one big decision right.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #567 on: May 13, 2019, 01:03:32 AM »
And for the first 'delayed' throw for Gayle, Tyrone Mings carried the ball in field. Preventing Albion from.opportinity of a quick throw and letting Villa get into position. Not a word from referee but equally no complaints from Albion players.

Another decision was Holgate's yellow card. McGinn pulls him back first, then Holgate reciprocates and gets a yellow for it.

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #568 on: May 13, 2019, 08:34:46 AM »
I thought he was decent first half, allowed the game to flow and remained in the background. Second half was far more eventful.......my take on the 3 big calls:

1). Villa penalty....for me its the correct decision, Grealish does get contact from the challenge albeit very minimal. Its a soft one but it is a pen.
2). Albion penalty appeal...its a penalty all day, he bottled the decision.
3). Gayle red card......although harsh both were bookings and we can have very little complaints. My only gripe is that Graham wasn't consistent with the timewasting in the 2nd half from Villa.

Although far from perfect i dont think he was as bad as some are making out.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #569 on: May 13, 2019, 08:50:31 AM »
I thought he was decent first half, allowed the game to flow and remained in the background. Second half was far more eventful.......my take on the 3 big calls:

1). Villa penalty....for me its the correct decision, Grealish does get contact from the challenge albeit very minimal. Its a soft one but it is a pen.
2). Albion penalty appeal...its a penalty all day, he bottled the decision.
3). Gayle red card......although harsh both were bookings and we can have very little complaints. My only gripe is that Graham wasn't consistent with the timewasting in the 2nd half from Villa.

Although far from perfect i dont think he was as bad as some are making out.

why is it a booking? Gayle has a right to go for the ball and is in mid flow, he pulls out of the challenge and lowers his foot so that his studs are facing the ground it's just his momentum that takes him into the keeper. A foul definitely but never a booking. Villa keeper writhing around is what gets him booked.

I can see why he gave the Villa penalty but from the various highlights I've seen it looks like Grealish makes the contact happen by flicking his leg out. With VAR it might not have been given.

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #570 on: May 13, 2019, 09:04:46 AM »
why is it a booking? Gayle has a right to go for the ball and is in mid flow, he pulls out of the challenge and lowers his foot so that his studs are facing the ground it's just his momentum that takes him into the keeper. A foul definitely but never a booking. Villa keeper writhing around is what gets him booked.

I can see why he gave the Villa penalty but from the various highlights I've seen it looks like Grealish makes the contact happen by flicking his leg out. With VAR it might not have been given.

Its a foul that warrants a caution.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #571 on: May 13, 2019, 09:44:58 AM »
Games gone, non contact sport now. Never a booking, his momentum took him into the keeper, as Hull said he lowered his foot. Keeper rolls round, home fans are giving it all the abuse, ref gets conned and gives the easy option.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #572 on: May 13, 2019, 11:35:57 AM »
Its a foul that warrants a caution.

it really isn't. It was barely a foul.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #573 on: May 13, 2019, 11:42:52 AM »
it really isn't. It was barely a foul.

Perfectly entitled to go for it, he would have got pelters on here had he not have gone for it. We cannot have it both ways.

I dont think it was a foul that warranted a card. As with Squealish, the keeper over exaggerated the situation.
MAGA!

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #574 on: May 13, 2019, 11:43:39 AM »
Gayle had been warned previously a couple of times about time wasting which was then followed up by his first booking. The 2nd although harsh was the result of persistent fouling, he could have picked up a 2nd yellow just before when he fouled a villa player on the halfway line. I really dont think Scott was as bad as some are making out.