Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 851199 times)

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #300 on: May 02, 2018, 01:51:16 PM »
Not wanting Moore as manager in case he has to be sacked at a later date is the worst reason not to want him imo...

Absobloodylutely, If you don't try, you'll never fail & if you've never failed, you'll never know the sweet taste of success.

If he wants it just give the man the job, 99% of Albion fans love this guy, I doubt there is a current coach/manager around that will galvanise the fans like Big Dave has, call the recent results whatever you like, bounce, luck, players reverse window shopping, DM has restored a lot of pride & no small amount of belief, lets take that into next season, as the new chapter begins.

#giveittobigdave   
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #301 on: May 02, 2018, 03:35:30 PM »
Every manager will end up leaving and more than likely under a cloud.  I can only think of Fergie in recent times.  I guess Roy as we couldn't begrudge him the England job (although I bet a lot did).

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #302 on: May 02, 2018, 05:01:09 PM »
Not wanting Moore as manager in case he has to be sacked at a later date is the worst reason not to want him imo...

I understand the sentiments of those who suggest he shouldn't get the job under the future sacking scenario. On the other hand it does sound a bit like wanting to inject puppies with no grow serum so they can stay cute forever. May as well let 'em grow, give 'em a bit of freedom and see what they do. There's no guarantee they'll sh it all over the place  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #303 on: May 02, 2018, 05:09:41 PM »
Get voting ..

https://barclaysfootball.fbapp.io/barclaysmotmnov-dup-dup-dup-2278073/oe8jrmh3

What a stupid way of deciding it. Of course Mourinho is going to win that, United have millions of fans across the world.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #304 on: May 06, 2018, 08:09:49 AM »
I bought the wife's son a tee shirt which said..."What a difference a DAVE makes".

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #305 on: May 06, 2018, 09:49:03 AM »
I bought the wife's son a tee shirt which said..."What a difference a DAVE makes".

Top six form. And against three of the top six.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #306 on: May 06, 2018, 11:04:21 AM »
Excellent droitwich,should have all supporters wearing one over their Albion shirt at the palace game.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #307 on: May 06, 2018, 07:12:13 PM »
Whilst it's hard to argue against 3 wins and 2 draws (particularly given who we've defeated), I'm hesitating to fully back Big Dave, because his tactics so far have been akin to Pulis #2 (but with legendary club status and a much better personality in Darren's favour), and I really really want us to move away from a "defend for our lives and hope to catch them on the break or from a set piece" mentality. Darren was a solid rock-solid central defender, and I've seen nothing so far to indicate that his style of play will be anything other than that.

I'm trying to view this with my head rather than my heart, and I want to see us approaching games with more attacking flair, which is what Jenkins has said is the Board's aim with their next appointment, and there's absolutely no indication to me that Darren has the mindset or tactical nous, at this stage of his career, to deliver that. Keep Darren here and promote him by all means, but I don't think he's got the experience, flexibility and tactical armoury to be ready for a head coach's role just yet.

If this view makes me a heretic, so be it....

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #308 on: May 06, 2018, 09:01:07 PM »
Whilst it's hard to argue against 3 wins and 2 draws (particularly given who we've defeated), I'm hesitating to fully back Big Dave, because his tactics so far have been akin to Pulis #2 (but with legendary club status and a much better personality in Darren's favour), and I really really want us to move away from a "defend for our lives and hope to catch them on the break or from a set piece" mentality. Darren was a solid rock-solid central defender, and I've seen nothing so far to indicate that his style of play will be anything other than that.

I'm trying to view this with my head rather than my heart, and I want to see us approaching games with more attacking flair, which is what Jenkins has said is the Board's aim with their next appointment, and there's absolutely no indication to me that Darren has the mindset or tactical nous, at this stage of his career, to deliver that. Keep Darren here and promote him by all means, but I don't think he's got the experience, flexibility and tactical armoury to be ready for a head coach's role just yet.

I agree with you. Yesterday's performance was similar to what we saw under Pulis (when things were going well) but with more crowd passion, and rightly so, because of Big Dave's standing at the club and the momentum in this unlikely survival fight.  We have no idea what approach DM would have next season if given the job. This is the ideal time for a change of tack with a likely high turn over of players and with some luck 3 or 4 of our own being given chance to step up in the next year or two.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #309 on: May 07, 2018, 02:49:23 AM »

I respect your opinion but have to disagree. Are you expecting swash buckling attacking play and a complete change in philosophy in 5 games? We have also played Man Utd, Spurs and Liverpool. From a team that had lost 9 straight games do you think we would start to out football top 4 teams? i think Big Dave is actually clever, he realized the squad we have and what our strengths are. He wanted to win games and this was the best way to do it. Its not his squad and yet he is getting the best out of underperforming players. I don't think you could say what his "style" of play is until he was given his own chance to build a squad and put his stamp on the team. Man management is so important and Big Dave seems to have that in abundance.
Wasn't Tony Mowbray and bruising centre half in his playing days and yet he loves a team of "Artists" :)

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #310 on: May 07, 2018, 08:32:27 AM »
I have to say that tactically DM has been spot on for the games we have played so far. Against Spurs any team in our position would set up fairly defensively and in my view we did this very well.  Tactically he has payed to the strengths of Dawson and Hegazi, he has the best out of Phillips who looks a changed person over the last few games and the substitutions make a difference.  One (of very many) mistakes Pardew made was to try and change a style of play too quickly and it did not work.  I think DM will play exciting football, he just recognises it will take some time to achieve. 

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #311 on: May 07, 2018, 09:18:39 AM »
I respect your opinion but have to disagree. Are you expecting swash buckling attacking play and a complete change in philosophy in 5 games? We have also played Man Utd, Spurs and Liverpool. From a team that had lost 9 straight games do you think we would start to out football top 4 teams? i think Big Dave is actually clever, he realized the squad we have and what our strengths are. He wanted to win games and this was the best way to do it. Its not his squad and yet he is getting the best out of underperforming players. I don't think you could say what his "style" of play is until he was given his own chance to build a squad and put his stamp on the team. Man management is so important and Big Dave seems to have that in abundance.
Wasn't Tony Mowbray and bruising centre half in his playing days and yet he loves a team of "Artists" :)
I can only base my opinion what's happened so far with the style of play. Anything else is just speculation by all of us. I agree with you regarding man management and, should Darren get the job, I'll back him and will be interested to hear him state his intentions during the close season regarding the style of play. All I'm saying is that I'm desperate for us to have someone at the helm who can demonstrate that it's possible to be successful using a different playing style to the likes of Pulis, Allardyce etc.

You're correct about Mogga, but I would regard him as being more the exception rather than the rule.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #312 on: May 07, 2018, 10:13:00 AM »
I can only base my opinion what's happened so far with the style of play. Anything else is just speculation by all of us. I agree with you regarding man management and, should Darren get the job, I'll back him and will be interested to hear him state his intentions during the close season regarding the style of play. All I'm saying is that I'm desperate for us to have someone at the helm who can demonstrate that it's possible to be successful using a different playing style to the likes of Pulis, Allardyce etc.

You're correct about Mogga, but I would regard him as being more the exception rather than the rule.

I agree with your sentiment and in general with coaches, what you see is what you get. I never believed that Pulis would change although plenty of posters clung to the notion that he would.

In Darren's defence because his career is in his infancy and he has been given one task which is to steady a rudderless ship then maybe you cannot judge on what we have seen to date. If that is the case we can't judge either way and maybe 6 games is just too few to make a judgement about him being able to step up to the Head Coach role but many of us are happy to do just that.

Darren gets a free pass from the fans because of who is but eventually if we are playing dreary unimaginative football that free pass will run out.  If we ever want to fill those empty seats in the Hawthorns we need to play attractive football or at least not the pig ugly brand associated with the British Old School Gaffers.

I certainly hope that Pardew is not seen as the model for progressive football and therefore used as an excuse to revert to Pulisball. Pardew was an empty suit it doesn't matter what style of football you choose to adopt if you lack basic competence as a coach it won't end well.

I watched Sunday Supplement on Sky yesterday and the London/Manchester based journalists made the point that the Potteries and the Black Country were largely blue collar areas and that their teams e.g. Stoke and ourselves needed to reflect this is in first and foremost be hard working even if the football was not always that pretty.

Setting aside the slightly patronising tone they have a point and plenty of posters on here talk about "putting a shift in" but they miss the bigger picture. Football clubs in blue collar communities are where fans go to be elevated beyond the everyday to dream a little be inspired and nobody dreams of watching Pulisball.

We are desperate for a progressive coach whoever is next has to lay down a style that is just that. The challenge for Darren Moore is if he is appointed he has to be that coach for all the goodwill he has and will continue to have that is where he will have to take us. 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #313 on: May 07, 2018, 11:02:31 AM »
20 points from the first possible 96.
11 from the next possible 15.

In the words of Paul Robinson if they don't offer it him at least it will be a scandal in my opinion.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #314 on: May 07, 2018, 11:13:43 AM »
Even Alan Pardew who I'm quite happy to label as one of the worst managers to ever be inflicted upon the club has had spells of 6 games where he has run at 2 points a game or better. We are making a long term decision (hopefully) based on short term results.

It won't be a scandal if the board don't offer him the position.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #315 on: May 07, 2018, 11:23:48 AM »
Trouble is I find those people who complain about players not putting a shift in are also the same ones that berate players like McClean for not being good enough.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #316 on: May 07, 2018, 03:07:45 PM »
Even Alan Pardew who I'm quite happy to label as one of the worst managers to ever be inflicted upon the club has had spells of 6 games where he has run at 2 points a game or better. We are making a long term decision (hopefully) based on short term results.

will be a scandle if board **** up next pick and Dave shows his capabilities else where, he`s done a fantastic job just to keep us in with a sniff of staying up and your relying on board who left clueless in charge for to long God help us

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #317 on: May 07, 2018, 04:33:30 PM »

You infamously said we should name the Hawthorns after Darren if he kept us up...

It will be scandalous if he doesn't get the chance AND the next manager makes a hash of it.

Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #318 on: May 07, 2018, 04:44:01 PM »

You infamously said we should name the Hawthorns after Darren if he kept us up...

It will be scandalous if he doesn't get the chance AND the next manager makes a hash of it.
That is easy to say when you don't have the responsibility of making the decision. Personally I don't wants big Dave. We need to change the way we play, to evolve. Its fine  sitting back against elite clubs but next season teams are going to park the bus. Big Dave simply won't be able to handle all the changes that are imminent.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 04:45:52 PM by Atomic »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #319 on: May 07, 2018, 05:20:52 PM »

No just a stand and we still should. We have a chance but it is an 80/1 shot at best.  I'll try not recall the criticism that he shipped post Swansea for dropping a couple of vital points which at the time didn't seem all that vital.

Ultimately whoever comes in may fail and there is nothing to suggest that Darren or is less likely to do so than .

The question is if Darren does keep us up the list at the top of the page changes and do we get seduced by the big names that suddenly become available?  The irony is we could be watching  a new Head Coach's team from the Darren Moore stand.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #320 on: May 07, 2018, 08:22:04 PM »
Does anyone remember that famous picture of Dave facing a young Rooney who has his foot on the ball,can't remember the match but a great picture ,grateful if someone could put it up on here.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #321 on: May 08, 2018, 07:50:05 AM »
Martin Samuels take in the Daily Mail, looking at whether DM should get the job and contrasting his record to those of Appleton and Smith. An interesting read.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5700651/MARTIN-SAMUEL-West-Brom-lack-respect-Darren-Moores-magic-touch.html
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #322 on: May 08, 2018, 08:25:24 AM »
He has to be given a year, we could be missing out on a great manager here. Every appointment is a risk.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #323 on: May 08, 2018, 08:26:17 AM »
And can we re-run the poll?

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #324 on: May 08, 2018, 09:03:04 AM »
Martin Samuels take in the Daily Mail, looking at whether DM should get the job and contrasting his record to those of Appleton and Smith. An interesting read.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5700651/MARTIN-SAMUEL-West-Brom-lack-respect-Darren-Moores-magic-touch.html
Speaks a lot of sense, from somebody not in any way aligned to the club. Obviously ex players have clamoured for Moore, it seems everyone thinks Moore deserves a crack. Everyone except those within the club boardroom. Having read that article it’s hard to see how Appleton is even viewed as a viable alternative at all. Give ‘im a goo.