Author Topic: Matheus Pereira  (Read 487164 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Matheus Pereira (on loan from Sporting Lisbon)
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2019, 05:41:34 PM »
We should never agree to an obligation to buy, only ever an option imo.

When a club are insisting on an obligation it's the same as buying him now with the same Burkesque risks.

Why we did not do this with Burke can only be down to a low upfront fee being paid us, as the fee was always upto £15m.

RBL knew Burke was terrible and knew after a loan we would say Nein.

Do you have any details on the Burke deal? Was it heavly incentivied etc? I'm hoping it was not a flat 15m we paid.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2019, 07:02:26 PM »
Do you have any details on the Burke deal? Was it heavly incentivied etc? I'm hoping it was not a flat 15m we paid.
I don't understand why everyone keeps dwelling on the Burke deal. Why, and how the deal was constructed, is irrelevant now. We just have to hope that the kid can thrive under Bilic, a become an asset to the team.
Yesterday was encouraging.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2019, 07:14:21 PM »
Just natural curiosity, there seems to be little information regarding it. I will support him regardless.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2019, 07:50:18 PM »
Oliver Burke has his own thread please post in there!

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=20605.900

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2019, 05:47:45 PM »
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/07/22/west-broms-move-for-matheus-pereira-stalls-due-to-sportings-9m-demand/

It looks like Sporting are holding out for a sale rather than a loan.  I'm reading the same in German media, where Schalke are quoted as being interested. He is well known in Germany as the stand out player in a poor FC Nurnberg team that got relegated.

I'm hoping we pursue this guy further as he's youngish and I think would offer alot of penetration from the wing. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2019, 07:20:59 PM »
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/07/22/west-broms-move-for-matheus-pereira-stalls-due-to-sportings-9m-demand/

It looks like Sporting are holding out for a sale rather than a loan.  I'm reading the same in German media, where Schalke are quoted as being interested. He is well known in Germany as the stand out player in a poor FC Nurnberg team that got relegated.

I'm hoping we pursue this guy further as he's youngish and I think would offer alot of penetration from the wing.

Hopefully a compromise can be reached.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2019, 07:41:09 PM »
This lad looks a quality player, would hope Bilic can charm him and the suits negotiate a deal
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2019, 07:47:33 PM »
Maybe a compromise of an obligation if we go up and an option if we don’t? ;)

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2019, 07:57:27 PM »
Maybe a compromise of an obligation if we go up and an option if we don’t? ;)

Something I was saying today at work. Could easily do a deal with Sporting that says we give them 11million if we go up or an option to buy of 9 mil if we don’t.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2019, 09:18:11 PM »
Something I was saying today at work. Could easily do a deal with Sporting that says we give them 11million if we go up or an option to buy of 9 mil if we don’t.
How easy was that to spend another 2m of someone else’s money ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2019, 09:21:18 PM »
This is the one transfer I hope we get done. I really think he will add a different dynamic to our team that we don’t currently have. Skill, directness and pace
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2019, 09:25:59 PM »
How easy was that to spend another 2m of someone else’s money ?

Very easy  when getting promoted opens us up to ALOT more money. If we get promoted then there’s a very good chance Pereira will have played a part in that.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2019, 10:00:42 PM »
Very easy  when getting promoted opens us up to ALOT more money. If we get promoted then there’s a very good chance Pereira will have played a part in that.
And last year Gayle was going to get us up

There are no guarantees, we have to spend within our means and invest cleverly,you cannot believe starting at 9 and going up to 11 will be in our negotiators mindsets ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2019, 10:25:51 PM »
And last year Gayle was going to get us up

There are no guarantees, we have to spend within our means and invest cleverly,you cannot believe starting at 9 and going up to 11 will be in our negotiators mindsets ?
Exactly! The chaps making the financial are taking into consideration next seasons income. Anything else would be foolish.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2019, 10:42:47 PM »
And last year Gayle was going to get us up. There are no guarantees, we have to spend within our means and invest cleverly,you cannot believe starting at 9 and going up to 11 will be in our negotiators mindsets ?

What he clearly said and suggested was that we would only be an obligation to buy if we got promoted. So without the PL £120m income we wouldn't have to sign Pereira and could send him back if we needed to. Hence why £9-11m clause with that caveat would not be as risky as you imply and would be within our means.

He seems destined to sign for someone this summer as long as Schalke don't start throwing money around it could happen. I would hope and like to think that we could still get him for a relatively cheap loan fee and that Sporting are trying it on.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2019, 11:23:08 PM »
What he clearly said and suggested was that we would only be an obligation to buy if we got promoted. So without the PL £120m income we wouldn't have to sign Pereira and could send him back if we needed to. Hence why £9-11m clause with that caveat would not be as risky as you imply and would be within our means.

He seems destined to sign for someone this summer as long as Schalke don't start throwing money around it could happen. I would hope and like to think that we could still get him for a relatively cheap loan fee and that Sporting are trying it on.

Where was that said?! It seems like the obligation to buy is the massive problem because we don't want that obligation should we not get promoted.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

wba1968-Tim

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2019, 12:10:30 AM »
Exactly that Lewisant

Latest from Portugal. A google translation

€ 10 MILLION REQUIREMENTS FOR MATHEUS PEREIRA AWAY WEST BROM
 SPORTING 2016-07-22 17:35
 By Writing
 Sporting and West Bromwich have been in talks for Matheus Pereira for several days, but talks are still deadlocked after Sporting demanded a 10 million euro payment from the Brazilian.

Express & Star says that English-speaking coach Slaven Bilic is very interested in the extreme, but baggies want a buy-out loan.  Sporting remain uncompromising in the negotiations, despite agreeing to cede the player, only and only if it happens with a mandatory purchase clause, valued at the aforementioned 10 million euros.

The English have not yet fully abandoned the negotiations, but want the SAD Leonina to change the bargaining mode or at least lower the monetary requirements.
The more people I meet the more I like my dog.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2019, 12:34:13 AM »
As things currently stand the deal as put to us by Sporting is basically a £10m transfer. Now don't get me wrong I like the player  if he settles and adapts to the English game then £10m might not be unreasonable.

However just to get a little bit of context he is Sporting's 3rd choice player in this position, looked to be one of the hottest young talents in League NOS but probably hasn't trained on as well as Sporting would have liked. That is not a £10m player or least not one that you wouldn't want to try before you bought. I don't see an easy way out of this impasse.

Promotion only changes what we can afford to pay it does not of itself change the player. We could get promoted and he could be a flop or vice versa. IF we are promoted and were still in the market there are at least two players I would want to buy ahead of Pereira (Andreas Skov Olsen and Martin Skov although neither are likely to be at their current clubs this time next year)
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2019, 06:32:22 AM »
[quote author=Standaman link=topic=23539.msg670335#msg670335 date

Andreas Skov Olsen and Martin Skov

We would have been better off taking the Zohore money and gambling on one of these on my opinion. Clearly I don’t know if we did consider it or ask any questions. However Given the biggest transfers ever from their league isn’t much more than £10m, the money and wages wouldn’t likely have been an issue.

Both are getting linked with higher clubs in the pecking order, but so many of the young Scandinavians do but without the moves quite materialising. First in with a hard offer may have got it done

We needed a striker and as such that was not an option but if faced with the prospect of paying £9m for Pereira I certainly would enquire about either or both. While wages or fee might not be a problem I suspect both will have better offers from clubs that have European football.

Andreas Skov Olsen who at 19 I think is the better of the two is out of contract next year so almost will certainly move and the director of football at FC Nordsjælland has said he has fielded 20 enquiries including from Spurs. Were he to move to Spurs I would be talking to Spurs about a loan for the season.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2019, 08:39:41 AM »

Thanks Baggie82  :D

My point was to try and do a deal with Sporting which says if we do go up we will have a set price of say 11million to purchase him (in hindsight if we do get promoted he will have played a part in that and the club would probably look to do a deal at that point - obviously having access to a larger budget). If we don't go up then the 'obligatory buy' doesn't kick in.

It's a way of trying to please Sporting with a higher amount if we do get promoted, but covering ourselves if we don't get promoted and don't have the budget to cover those costs.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2019, 10:00:38 AM »
Thanks Baggie82  :D

My point was to try and do a deal with Sporting which says if we do go up we will have a set price of say 11million to purchase him (in hindsight if we do get promoted he will have played a part in that and the club would probably look to do a deal at that point - obviously having access to a larger budget). If we don't go up then the 'obligatory buy' doesn't kick in.

It's a way of trying to please Sporting with a higher amount if we do get promoted, but covering ourselves if we don't get promoted and don't have the budget to cover those costs.

In the deal that has been reported the loan fee already doubles if we do get promoted.  €300k loan fee doubles to €600 if promoted.  So Sporting already get a bonus if we're promoted.

Generally agree with most, the purchase can't be an obligation unless we are promoted.  Too much of a gamble.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2019, 12:15:06 PM »
It should not be an obligation full stop, promotion or not.

He may not contribute to promotion (if it happens) due to his form or injury, so why commit to this guy at all.

Pay the loan fee and the higher one if we go up, but don't bend over completely for Sporting.

They clearly don't rate him and are desperate to cash in, in this agreed promise to sign him permanently.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2019, 05:22:00 PM »
This rumour has gone quiet. Anyone seen any updates in the foreign press?

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2019, 06:18:00 PM »
This rumour has gone quiet. Anyone seen any updates in the foreign press?

Probably means next time we hear or see anything he’ll be holding up the shirt😂😂😂

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2019, 07:58:57 PM »
Probably means next time we hear or see anything he’ll be holding up the shirt😂😂😂

half full post!

a wing forward isn't a priority i think Edwards looks ready, and burke needs game time they need roatating. also krovo can play wide as can brunt if required.

we are desperate for goals up top
O Albion we love you