Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5164606 times)

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #19025 on: November 14, 2020, 11:20:20 AM »
I’ll always say Pulis did a job for us when needed but unfortunately stayed a few months too long.

Far far from anywhere near one of our worse managers.

Always thought the same leeiswba 👍🏻

Should have parted company with him at the end of 16/17 season. The rot set in when we sat in 8th place between February and May 2017, only to finish 10th on the last game of the season. Our football needed to return to being entertaining again. The summer of 2017 to prepare for this was the perfect opportunity. However, instead of being wise enough to realise Pulis’ time had come to an end and part amicably, that foolish chief executive John Williams rewarded him with a much improved new contract. The rest as they say, is history.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19026 on: November 14, 2020, 06:46:37 PM »
Ar least we won't have to suffer him on Soccer Saturday any more  ;D ;D
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #19027 on: November 14, 2020, 07:10:53 PM »
Ar least we won't have to suffer him on Soccer Saturday any more  ;D ;D
Can he take Clinton with him ? ;D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19028 on: November 14, 2020, 08:52:34 PM »
And Sue Smith - please
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19029 on: November 14, 2020, 09:36:38 PM »
Thought it was me...
He is awful...
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19030 on: November 15, 2020, 06:52:20 AM »
And Sue Smith - please

Is that plank Sherwood still on it? He needs to go as well......

Seriously, I have point blank stopped watching it due to the change so I don't know......
MAGA!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #19031 on: November 15, 2020, 10:29:09 AM »
Is that plank Sherwood still on it? He needs to go as well......

Seriously, I have point blank stopped watching it due to the change so I don't know......
Its painful , only Stelling keeping it going.
Pulis was dreadful on it as much as I respect certain parts of his knowledge.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19032 on: November 15, 2020, 10:32:12 AM »
Regarding Pulis and money, doesn’t he have a house at Sandbanks, Poole, near ‘Arry’s place? If so, he can’t be too much short........!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 04:22:59 PM by Westie »

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19033 on: November 15, 2020, 12:22:14 PM »
Regarding Pauli’s and money, doesn’t he have a house at Sandbanks, Poole, near ‘Arry’s place? If so, he can’t be too much short........!

I think he lives next door to 'Arry.

I go sea fishing out of Poole on a regular basis and we pass Sandbanks. The skipper always points out 'Arrys place, very nice indeed!
MAGA!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19034 on: November 15, 2020, 12:50:53 PM »
Regarding Pauli’s and money, doesn’t he have a house at Sandbanks, Poole, near ‘Arry’s place? If so, he can’t be too much short........!

I bet Southampton supporters are delighted the powers that be kept faith with Hasenhuttl following their spanking by nine, rather than panic and hire that 'never been relegated' safe pair of hands Trainer Man fella from down the road.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19035 on: November 15, 2020, 04:16:17 PM »
I’ll always say Pulis did a job for us when needed but unfortunately stayed a few months too long.

Far far from anywhere near one of our worse managers.
Stayed a few months too long?! The only job he did for us was drag the club's reputation as a footballing side through the dirt.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19036 on: November 15, 2020, 05:52:55 PM »
Stayed a few months too long?! The only job he did for us was drag the club's reputation as a footballing side through the dirt.

He did what was needed for a couple of seasons after Mel & Irvine debacle

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19037 on: November 15, 2020, 06:13:50 PM »
He did what was needed for a couple of seasons after Mel & Irvine debacle
He really did....he was exactly the right person at the time.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19038 on: November 19, 2020, 01:06:22 PM »

I agree with this 100%. I fully respect people's right to express their own opinion but mine is clear: In 50 plus years of supporting our great club, when I take everything into account, he is the worst manager we have had.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19039 on: November 19, 2020, 01:06:56 PM »
Craig Gardner appointed his assistant. Explains why he played a part in pretty much every game whilst here despite being muck.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19040 on: November 19, 2020, 01:38:16 PM »
Craig Gardner appointed his assistant. Explains why he played a part in pretty much every game whilst here despite being muck.

If i am right in thinking in an away game at Palace he took Berahino off and replaced him with Gardner and we went on to lose 2-0. Pulis later claimed after the game 'we lacked attacking intent'. Never listened to the man after that.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19041 on: November 19, 2020, 01:42:15 PM »

I wasn't Craig's biggest supporter by any means but I've just looked this up and there's no escaping some things. He signed at the start of the 14/15 season, made 35 PL appearances and we finished 13th. Made 34 appearances in 15/16 and we finished 14th. He left for Blues during 16/17 having made 9 PL appearances for us and we finished 10th. The following season (17/18) without Mr Gardner we finished 20th and went down. Shocking stats when you think about it........

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19042 on: November 19, 2020, 01:55:19 PM »
I wasn't Craig's biggest supporter by any means but I've just looked this up and there's no escaping some things. He signed at the start of the 14/15 season, made 35 PL appearances and we finished 13th. Made 34 appearances in 15/16 and we finished 14th. He left for Blues during 16/17 having made 9 PL appearances for us and we finished 10th. The following season (17/18) without Mr Gardner we finished 20th and went down. Shocking stats when you think about it........
All I remember is that, when Gardner started, he just ran around pointing a lot without really touching the ball. Then, when he was on the bench, he was the answer to every question, winning, losing or drawing he came on and proceeded to run around pointing a lot without really touching the ball.
Couldn't tackle, couldn't pass and rarely scored, apart from the odd worldy.
Remind you of anyone ::)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19043 on: November 19, 2020, 02:03:22 PM »
All I remember is that, when Gardner started, he just ran around pointing a lot without really touching the ball. Then, when he was on the bench, he was the answer to every question, winning, losing or drawing he came on and proceeded to run around pointing a lot without really touching the ball.
Couldn't tackle, couldn't pass and rarely scored, apart from the odd worldy.
Remind you of anyone ::)

Yes now you come to mention it; me during my last season back in '94.

In my defence my knees were buggered though, the mind was still willing but the body wasn't  ;D .

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19044 on: November 19, 2020, 02:19:26 PM »
Yes now you come to mention it; me during my last season back in '94.

In my defence my knees were buggered though, the mind was still willing but the body wasn't  ;D .
A very honest self assessment sir. Pretty much sums up my entire career, to be fair, hence the reason I never escaped the District League and never owned a Bentley!
I did like Bentley's nightclub though and performed rather better at that level  ;)

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19045 on: November 19, 2020, 05:20:59 PM »
I agree with this 100%. I fully respect people's right to express their own opinion but mine is clear: In 50 plus years of supporting our great club, when I take everything into account, he is the worst manager we have had.

We have had some very poor managers but for me, Ron Saunders was the worst.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19046 on: November 19, 2020, 07:06:19 PM »
We have had some very poor managers but for me, Ron Saunders was the worst.

Yes, he wasn’t great. A different era of course. Pulis is fresher in the memory of course

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19047 on: November 20, 2020, 12:33:00 AM »
Without triggering a good 90 percent of you Pulis (by consecutive league finishes) is only bettered by Hodgson since the 80s.

Far from the worst.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19048 on: November 20, 2020, 07:06:47 AM »

I have only been a fan for around 20-25 years and he wouldn’t make my top 2/3. I would definitely put Pardew & Irvine above him in worse managers and probably even Pepe Mel with everything going on during that short period.

By no means a Pulis fan by the way I just think the way people look at the as ‘the dark days’ and the worst we’ve had is a bit much.

Especially with stats like Jacko has just pointed out

ahandpatsy

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #19049 on: November 20, 2020, 08:19:23 AM »
Maybe you should measure how bad he was on how many people stopped going to the match because of the manager,   Pulis turned me away from the Hawthornes after 9 years of never missing a match.  A total dinosaur.  Also saturday afternoons on Sky I cringe and now can't watch that with him either.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 09:08:00 AM by LiamTheBaggie »