Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 640309 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #1775 on: January 24, 2021, 09:10:43 PM »
Hadn't clocked it but it's now been just over a decade since our Under 16's crowned themselves the Nike Premier Shield winners (and therefore the number 1 ranked academy side in England) and represented England in the subsequent continental competition.

It's incredible to think such a talented side didn't produce a single first team Albion appearance, in fact I don't think any of them went on to play championship football either.

Adil Nabi is playing in the Greek top flight, Ellikem Amenku was playkng non league and Warley Sunday, Brad Garmston has recently been released by Grimsby, Donervon Daniels is at Crewe and Jordan Tunnicliffe scored for Crawley vs Leeds on the TV last week.

There might be others knocking around the football league but i'd have to find an old programme out to remember who was part of that youth side.
Boing Boing

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1776 on: January 24, 2021, 10:18:15 PM »
It's incredible to think such a talented side didn't produce a single first team Albion appearance, in fact I don't think any of them went on to play championship football either.

You need the right manager in place for the long term. Bilic in 9 months brought through Ferguson from nowhere, got Edwards into the team, gave Harper a real chance and pushed Tulloch up the pecking order. He was the best we have had for giving youth players a chance and seeing their potential. Whereas the likes of Pulis are a joke.  We lost out on several good players by way of swapping managers every 18 months and being short-term in our thinking. Chris Woods is an obvious one; he always looked like the quality target man he was, yet we wanted the £1.5m fee for him for spend elsewhere; classic short term win for huge long term loss.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 10:39:39 PM by baggie82 »

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1777 on: January 24, 2021, 10:40:31 PM »
Hadn't clocked it but it's now been just over a decade since our Under 16's crowned themselves the Nike Premier Shield winners (and therefore the number 1 ranked academy side in England) and represented England in the subsequent continental competition.

Adil Nabi is playing in the Greek top flight, Ellikem Amenku was playkng non league and Warley Sunday, Brad Garmston has recently been released by Grimsby, Donervon Daniels is at Crewe and Jordan Tunnicliffe scored for Crawley vs Leeds on the TV last week.

There might be others knocking around the football league but i'd have to find an old programme out to remember who was part of that youth side.

Was Lateef Elford-Alliyu part of that squad?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1778 on: January 24, 2021, 11:05:56 PM »

No, he came before. Alliyu was part of our first true "academy coming of age" side, with Sawyers, Thorne, Wood, Roofe, Dowling, Mantom, O'Neil, Allsop and the year below's Berahino.

Nabi, Garmston, Daniels etc played in the same reserves/PL2 team but were 2 age groups below.

Boing Boing

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1779 on: January 25, 2021, 01:41:12 PM »

I am sure he retired years ago?
Gera, Gera, Gera

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1780 on: January 25, 2021, 02:01:16 PM »
I am sure he retired years ago?

Looks like he was with Coventry 2016 but his career just stopped. Weird because if you look at his stats is would appear he could have had a career in lower/non & abroad leagues scoring 25 goals in 91 appearances which includes 16 in 35 in the Maltese Premier League. I don't know how that pays but sounds like an ok life to me!

I don't know why but i followed his career for a bit, a bit like I did with Romaine Sawyers so imagine my glee when he re-signed followed by disparity when his form fell off a cliff edge!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1781 on: January 25, 2021, 02:35:56 PM »
We have had lots of very promising youngsters but there seems to be a glass ceiling when it comes to maturing into the first team. We have had numerous players playing for England age groups that seem to hit a brick wall.
Gera, Gera, Gera

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1782 on: January 25, 2021, 03:31:48 PM »
We have had lots of very promising youngsters but there seems to be a glass ceiling when it comes to maturing into the first team. We have had numerous players playing for England age groups that seem to hit a brick wall.

I can't really tell if it's:

A, our post 16 academy acts as a poor "finishing school" and fails to develop them

B, we have failed to come up a coherent plan on how we are going to develop pathways for our youngsters into our first team

C, our success getting players into the England age groups is as much down to us being viewed favourably by people within the FA who possibly overrate our academy plus the influence a number of Ex Albion people have had on the englush age teams (Ashworth, Downing, Boothroyd)

I tend to think B and C are the biggest two factors, although you could make the argument that since the Woosld/Berahino/Sawyers/Roofe team, we haven't really produced any premier league quality players who have gone on to do well after leaving us.
Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1783 on: February 05, 2021, 08:05:20 PM »
Twitter is starting to get excited about Morgan Rogers. Apparently he was the major influence in all three Lincoln city goals.  It’s taken him about 5 games to adjust and look like one of the best players in league one apparently.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1784 on: February 05, 2021, 10:16:04 PM »
Twitter is starting to get excited about Morgan Rogers. Apparently he was the major influence in all three Lincoln city goals.  It’s taken him about 5 games to adjust and look like one of the best players in league one apparently.
Yep, had a quick look at the Lincoln fans forum. They think Rogers is class. Also, to a man and woman they absolutely love Palmer, utterly dependable and consistently excellent. many comments saying trying to buy him needs to be their top priority in the summer.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1785 on: March 08, 2021, 12:07:54 PM »
Sawyers and Livermore playing for the u'23s today. I would give Sam a ten year contract just for the fact I have been able to see that happen this season.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1786 on: March 08, 2021, 12:10:46 PM »
Sawyers and Livermore playing for the u'23s today. I would give Sam a ten year contract just for the fact I have been able to see that happen this season.

Same.

Also in that side Robinson and Diangana. Don't think Sam is too impressed with the "band".
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1787 on: March 08, 2021, 12:12:51 PM »
Same.

Also in that side Robinson and Diangana. Don't think Sam is too impressed with the "band".

Grady very quickly recovered from his "illness" then.

I'd sell all four of them if I had my way.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1788 on: March 08, 2021, 12:21:49 PM »
Same.

Robinson for Burke was one of those strange deals where neither side won. Both are Championship at best

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1789 on: March 08, 2021, 01:12:06 PM »

I wouldn’t Diangana has ability to turn games , he needs a manager/ coach to get the best out of him ! If we get rid of everybody people want us to we’ll need to sign about 15 players !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1790 on: March 08, 2021, 01:24:39 PM »

Yeah was indeed a mysterious illness. Very mysterious, almost to the point where the mysterious illness didnt exist.  :o

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1791 on: March 08, 2021, 01:37:25 PM »
Currently 0-0 at home to Burnley 30 odd mins gone. Team includes Sawyers,  Livermore, Diangana, Robinson and Windsor.

Updates on Burnley twitter.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1792 on: March 08, 2021, 01:46:11 PM »
Currently 0-0 at home to Burnley 30 odd mins gone. Team includes Sawyers,  Livermore, Diangana, Robinson and Windsor.

Updates on Burnley twitter.

Bet365 and Flash Score also giving updates.

Not one person in that Burnley line up I recognise. Given our "names" we should be beating these with ease.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1793 on: March 08, 2021, 01:56:54 PM »
0-0 half time.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1794 on: March 08, 2021, 02:02:34 PM »
I thought i read Grady was too ill to play yesterday but is fit enough to play today.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1795 on: March 08, 2021, 02:04:32 PM »
I thought i read Grady was too ill to play yesterday but is fit enough to play today.

Yep. We all read that mate.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1796 on: March 08, 2021, 02:19:41 PM »
1-0 Diangana

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1797 on: March 08, 2021, 02:23:48 PM »
2-0 now

gazberg