Author Topic: Callum Morton  (Read 11991 times)

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

Callum Morton
« on: July 24, 2020, 06:05:15 AM »
Probably the best striker we have had come through the ranks is Steve Bull who we sold for a pittance and replaced him with Don Goodman.
We then spent 20 years in the wilderness until GM developed a strike force  of Taylor,Hughes and Roberts.
We now have a very promising youngster Callum Morton and we must capitalise on this and put him straight into the first team squad.
If he does not make first team level by Christmas he should be loaned out to a championship club in the January window.
Mason greenwood of Man U is only 18 and has already scored about 16 Premiership goals I believe.
Callum is two years older lets try him.If Greenwood was at the Albion he wouldn't be in our team he would be out on loan if many fans had their way.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 04:40:34 PM by Political Cake »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: callum morton
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 06:26:29 AM »
Probably the best striker we have had come through the ranks is Steve Bull who we sold for a pittance and replaced him with Don Goodman.
We then spent 20 years in the wilderness till GM developed a strike force  of Taylor,Hughes and Roberts.
We now have a very promising youngster Callum Morton and we must capitalise on this and put him straight into the first team squad.
If he does not make first team level by Christmas he should be loaned out to a championship club in the January window.
Mason greenwood of Man U is only 18 and has already scored about 16 Premiership goals I believe.
Callum is two years older lets try him.If Greenwood was at the Albion he wouldn't be in our team he would be out on loan if many fans had their way.

It's an unusual take I'll give you that...

Goodman was a very good striker who forged a decent partnership with Kevin Bartlett. We had one season where we then were forced to run with West and Bannister. Then we signed Taylor and Hunt, and until this season (and maybe Mowbray's PL season taking into account Millers injury) we have always had good strikers.

Callum Morton looks a good prospect, but he'll need at least one more loan now we're back in the top flight. Comparing him to Mason Greenwood is like comparing Sam Field and Steven Gerrard at age 20.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 08:35:19 AM »
We do need to learn just how good this lad is I agree. You are right about Bull too. How crazy it was to virtually give him away and buy in Goodman who was average at best  and rarely achieved a good goals per game ratio, despite most of his time being at below top flight levels. Good strikers have always been at a premium and it is vital that we don’t risk discarding a promising one without him getting a real opportunity.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 08:48:08 AM »
We do need to learn just how good this lad is I agree. You are right about Bull too. How crazy it was to virtually give him away and buy in Goodman who was average at best  and rarely achieved a good goals per game ratio, despite most of his time being at below top flight levels. Good strikers have always been at a premium and it is vital that we don’t risk discarding a promising one without him getting a real opportunity.

Bull never scored a goal in the top flight. He epitomises a lower league striker.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 08:51:31 AM »
Bull never scored a goal in the top flight. He epitomises a lower league striker.

He scored for England, how top flight do you want to go?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 09:18:20 AM »
He scored for England, how top flight do you want to go?

The old first division or Premier League as I clearly stated.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 09:37:49 AM »
The old first division or Premier League as I clearly stated.

I'd argue that scoring for your country would be the bigger achievement since relatively speaking fewer players get the chance
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 09:53:23 AM »
Thankfully he won’t be in and around our first team next season. We need to ensure our survival and we will not manage that by taking risks on young players who have had a good three months in league two.

He needs another loan spell to continue his development in either league one or the championship.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 09:58:30 AM »
Thankfully he won’t be in and around our first team next season. We need to ensure our survival and we will not manage that by taking risks on young players who have had a good three months in league two.

He needs another loan spell to continue his development in either league one or the championship.
Ferguson wasn't in contention until Bilic rocked up, so never say never. If the loan has done it's job and honed his skills then he may get half a chance. Can he really be worse than the Lesser Spotted Zohore?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 10:02:23 AM »
Ferguson wasn't in contention until Bilic rocked up, so never say never. If the loan has done it's job and honed his skills then he may get half a chance. Can he really be worse than the Lesser Spotted Zohore?

I really don’t see it considering we operate with one forward - and Bilic’s preference is no doubt someone with a bit more of a physical presence for us to play into.

With a new addition, Austin & Robson Kanu, I just don’t see where he will feature or be awarded the chance.

This is not me knocking the kid - but I think he is far more likely to play a part should we be relegated next season.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 10:06:00 AM »
I'd argue that scoring for your country would be the bigger achievement since relatively speaking fewer players get the chance

David Nugent wants a word.

Morton needs another loan preferably in the Championship with an option to recall and we'll see how he gets on.

sie_davo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 10:11:03 AM »
One of the main problems for me is the contrasting styles of play between ourselves and Northampton. Admittedly I only watched the play off final to have a look at Morton, but the way Keith Curle (*spits) set his team up was long balls into the front two and heavily reliant on set pieces - some of the stats displayed during the game suggested this was the way they've played all season. Morton was paired with a big target man who took most of the big hits, and he was there to pick up the scraps and press and hassle. I thought he looked decent in that set-up and took his goal instinctively, but I think he needs a season in a different set up to see if his game can evolve.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 10:12:11 AM »

Not remotely convinced international football is a better standard than top flight football in this country.

Especially world beaters like Scotland, Czechoslovakia and Tunisia.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 10:16:03 AM »
David Nugent wants a word.

Morton needs another loan preferably in the Championship with an option to recall and we'll see how he gets on.

League one will do for the first half of the season at least. Send him somewhere he will get games and goals. Not somewhere that might be too high at step right now,  where he will be playing in his own half, or worse not playing at all.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 10:17:01 AM »
I really don’t see it considering we operate with one forward - and Bilic’s preference is no doubt someone with a bit more of a physical presence for us to play into.

With a new addition, Austin & Robson Kanu, I just don’t see where he will feature or be awarded the chance.

This is not me knocking the kid - but I think he is far more likely to play a part should we be relegated next season.
If these two are still prominent in our plans then I really do fear for us. How we get rid of them, I don't know but, by hook or by crook, we need at least two new strikers.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2020, 10:27:26 AM »
If these two are still prominent in our plans then I really do fear for us. How we get rid of them, I don't know but, by hook or by crook, we need at least two new strikers.

Similar to Johnstone, there is a media narrative that HRK has had an excellent season. And as such should interest some of the less diligent Championship outfits. Cardiff perhaps? They certainly owe us for Ken.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 10:28:50 AM »
One of the main problems for me is the contrasting styles of play between ourselves and Northampton. Admittedly I only watched the play off final to have a look at Morton, but the way Keith Curle (*spits) set his team up was long balls into the front two and heavily reliant on set pieces - some of the stats displayed during the game suggested this was the way they've played all season. Morton was paired with a big target man who took most of the big hits, and he was there to pick up the scraps and press and hassle. I thought he looked decent in that set-up and took his goal instinctively, but I think he needs a season in a different set up to see if his game can evolve.

This for me is the crux of the matter. Youngsters can make step changes in their development and here you can use the example of Mason Greenwood and as such pushing them into the first team is a risk we should take a little bit more frequently. Yet the key as with every other decision around player recruitment retention and development is tactical fit and were there isn't an obvious one it is hard to champion a young players cause.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 10:34:37 AM »

At the moment, I would rather throw Morton in at the deep end than rely on any of the current front three.   That looks ridiculous even as I type it but unless CA does a Steve Austin (one for the kids there) and comes out bionic for next season he just doesn't have the game for the PL.  It's more a case of Morton being an unknown quantity rather than relying on players you KNOW won'd cut it.

To have any success next season we need to bight the bullet and bring in at least two strikers with pace and speed of thought, regardless of who is still at the club.   

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 10:34:56 AM »
This for me is the crux of the matter. Youngsters can make step changes in their development and here you can use the example of Mason Greenwood and as such pushing them into the first team is a risk we should take a little bit more frequently. Yet the key as with every other decision around player recruitment retention and development is tactical fit and were there isn't an obvious one it is hard to champion a young players cause.
You could then also question the decision to send him to a club with such a drastically different style to ours.
I'm not saying he is the answer to our striking issues, far from it, just that it would be nice to see a kid come through rather than keep wasting money on dross like Kanu and Zohore.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2020, 10:39:43 AM »
It's an unusual take I'll give you that...

Goodman was a very good striker who forged a decent partnership with Kevin Bartlett. We had one season where we then were forced to run with West and Bannister. Then we signed Taylor and Hunt, and until this season (and maybe Mowbray's PL season taking into account Millers injury) we have always had good strikers.

Callum Morton looks a good prospect, but he'll need at least one more loan now we're back in the top flight. Comparing him to Mason Greenwood is like comparing Sam Field and Steven Gerrard at age 20.

Dingle Don was wonderful to watch for a year or so, a really exciting striker all pace and bustle.  He must have been decent as went for £750k?? to Sunderland which was decent bunce at the time.  Bartlett was a bit Tchoyi in that not even he often new what he was going to do, like a whippet but i''m sure i once saw him leave the ball behind in the mud and carry on running.  A digress i know but those are happy memories.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2020, 11:01:06 AM »

I agree but I don’t see any avenues for them to leave the club unless someone is foolish enough to buy them.

I cannot see a scenario where we purchase two new strikers and have four or five players all competing for one position. It’s eats too much into our wage budget.

If we cannot shift anyone then I would expect one addition with Austin and HRK as the supporting cast.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2020, 11:04:47 AM »
I agree but I don’t see any avenues for them to leave the club unless someone is foolish enough to buy them.

I cannot see a scenario where we purchase two new strikers and have four or five players all competing for one position. It’s eats too much into our wage budget.

If we cannot shift anyone then I would expect one addition with Austin and HRK as the supporting cast.
Wake me up in 2022  :'(

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2020, 01:47:53 PM »
General point but given Callum Morton didn't join us until he was about 17, claiming him as an Albion academy product is a bit of a stretch.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2020, 05:49:17 PM »
Bilic (unlike previous managers) has also shown a willingness to use younger players and academy graduates so I don't think we can say that Morton should be in the team, if he was good enough Bilic would play him.

Albeit there may be less willing in the PL.

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2020, 06:08:40 PM »
Keep him where he is if Northampton want him, give him to
Jan there and reaccess
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!