Author Topic: Jonathan Leko Joins Blues for Undisclosed Fee  (Read 144227 times)

mig

• Youth Baggie

Jonathan Leko
« Reply #450 on: August 05, 2020, 02:16:52 PM »
Reports today suggesting Leko could be up for sale.

Reckon this would be a mistake - only recently turned 21 and seemed to be doing pretty well at Charlton prior to his injury.

I think with attacking players too it can take a little longer for their potential to flourish. He has quick feet and can beat his man - maybe end product needs working on but my point is that he could develop into a good player by 22/23. Surely it is low risk to us to keep hold of him for now and see how he develops over the next 18 months or so...

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Jonathan Leko
« Reply #451 on: August 05, 2020, 02:25:27 PM »
If he’s sold we need a large future sell on clause %. Either that or loan him out again, and loan out Edwards. He needs first team football.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #452 on: August 05, 2020, 02:52:28 PM »
A bit harsh but I see nothing in the likes of Leko, Field, Harper or Edwards to suggest they will make it in the Prem. I think O'shea is the only one with a chance.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #453 on: August 05, 2020, 02:53:58 PM »
this is one of the consequences of our promotion, players need to make an extra step up to be considered for the premiership, sadly the club will judge thats a step too far for some.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #454 on: August 05, 2020, 03:08:50 PM »
Apart from sone fancy step overs, I’ve not seen anything which suggests he will be able to forge a career here. I do not see a pathway into our side either.

Whatever happens, he should not be sitting in our under 23s.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #455 on: August 05, 2020, 03:12:13 PM »
A bit harsh but I see nothing in the likes of Leko, Field, Harper or Edwards to suggest they will make it in the Prem. I think O'shea is the only one with a chance.

Sadly you are right. Let them go to allow them to further their careers elsewhere.

I would like to keep Harper as midfield cover though for another year which is a shame as he needs game time.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #456 on: August 05, 2020, 03:22:23 PM »
I think it shows how difficult it is for young players to come through and why it's weird when we get annoyed when we end up letting youngsters go (not the ones poached).  Take Leko, decent player but I really don't see him being Prem quality right now.  So the options are 1) let him stay at the club hoping for injuries and a chance, to prove he might be goo enough.  2) go out on loan and see if he progresses or 3) we let him go, maybe he improves, maybe he doesn't.

If we were a struggling to mid-table championship side though - you'd want to keep him as he can do a job.  The fact we let some promising youngsters go is just a sign of how hard it is to make it in the first team for a club in our position.  No slight on the player or the club - they're just at differing points at this moment in time.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #457 on: August 05, 2020, 03:56:27 PM »
This is a difficult choice.  Leko is an interesting player, and has shown some real bursts of quality.  For me, as yet not enough to warrant being a regular squad member in a premiership team.  So we either loan him again or we sell.  Selling frees up some resources for players who will get into the squad.  For me this has to be a better bet.  This is harsh on Leko, but equally he will need regular football which he will not get next year with us.  I am 90% sure selling is the right course of action... but 10% says he might come back and haunt us...Stevie Bull style.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #458 on: August 05, 2020, 04:25:28 PM »
He's too far down the pecking order now and probably never going to be Prem quality. May as well let him go but build in a sell-on clause, just in case he has a Traore style epiphany.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #459 on: August 05, 2020, 04:34:50 PM »
We are the point of making a decision with Leko he is entering the last year of his contract he is 21 and is reaching the point in his career where he is either starting regularly or his development has stalled. Last season's loan was a partial sucess but he did not show enough to suggest that he can be a starter at Premier League level if we had not been promoted the decision is more marginal.

I would not anticipate much of a fee but I certainly be looking for a sell on clause.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 05:31:37 PM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #460 on: August 05, 2020, 04:53:10 PM »
He will forge a career either at Championship or League 1 level as a tricky wide forward if he gets the right manager, but I don't think we have managed his development very well. I would allow him to go cheap with a good sell on clause. Interested to see how his career continues as I still think he is very fun to watch.
Boing Boing

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #461 on: August 05, 2020, 09:28:09 PM »
Seen nothing of him to suggest he’ll make it for us as a regular in the prem.

Still have flashbacks of when he tried to take on Andros Townsend and fell over, then by the time he got up Townsend had run the length of the pitch and scored.

rogerstubbs

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #462 on: August 05, 2020, 10:59:23 PM »
I think Edwards will make it at the Albion ,a fully fit Field could alternate with Livermore, has Lecko recovered from his injury?Unless Harper can improve his determination to play better I think non league is more likely premier.
All are at the age they need to play regularly.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #463 on: August 06, 2020, 04:29:12 AM »
I remember watching Leko regularly in the reserves and growing frustrated by him. He would take on a player get passed him then instead of laying the ball off to a team mate in space he would go back and take the same player on again. Would be a fantastic free styler I feel or down in league one but he isn't good enough for us or the stage we are at so we should get rid.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #464 on: August 06, 2020, 08:39:39 AM »
I remember watching Leko regularly in the reserves and growing frustrated by him. He would take on a player get passed him then instead of laying the ball off to a team mate in space he would go back and take the same player on again. Would be a fantastic free styler I feel or down in league one but he isn't good enough for us or the stage we are at so we should get rid.

Definitely one of the more frustrating things that he does but Edwards also does it and Phillips too. Maybe Leko and Edwards have picked it up from Phillips?

Leko does seem to have gone backwards rather than forwards. I remember seeing him play against Liverpool at the end of the season back in 2016 and he was great, very direct and I'm sure he assisted Rondon in a 1-1 draw. He looked a really exciting prospect back then.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #465 on: August 06, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »
I would have liked to have seen how he performed for Charlton last season. Pity he got injured following on from the racism row. Must have been a very tough year for him to deal with all round. I still think there's a player there. I'd like to see us extend his contract if at all possible with a view to loaning him out until January with the obligatory recall option.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #466 on: August 06, 2020, 09:47:56 AM »
I would have liked to have seen how he performed for Charlton last season. Pity he got injured following on from the racism row. Must have been a very tough year for him to deal with all round. I still think there's a player there. I'd like to see us extend his contract if at all possible with a view to loaning him out until January with the obligatory recall option.

Agree with this entirely , surely a championship would take him on loan on the strength of his performances for Charlton.
I would not have thought he is earning a lot currently, and I cannot see much of a transfer fee incoming, so surely worth giving him another season .
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #467 on: August 06, 2020, 10:10:33 AM »
As with Keiron Gibbs, I fail to understand why getting this lad off the books is seemingly being prioritised.

There are other far more pressing issues to be addressed, which they may well be, but we are not being informed, which does beg the question why the list issued doesn't extend to the key problem areas. 

Strange.
Albion Family !!!

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #468 on: August 06, 2020, 10:52:47 AM »
Reminds me a little of Kwame Ampadu, will probably have a similar career.
( Who is currently assistant manager at Monoco, nice job).
Baggie in Southampton

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #469 on: August 06, 2020, 11:22:38 AM »
As with Keiron Gibbs, I fail to understand why getting this lad off the books is seemingly being prioritised.

There are other far more pressing issues to be addressed, which they may well be, but we are not being informed, which does beg the question why the list issued doesn't extend to the key problem areas. 

Strange.
He's one of the few with any value would be my guess. Burke and Zohore are also on the list but probably have a combined value of £3.50. Throw in Kanu and Phillips and there's not a wealth of saleable value.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #470 on: August 06, 2020, 11:51:43 AM »
If you compare our historic transfer strategy with Brentford's, it exposes the complete lack of forward thinking certainly in the last few years, this needs to change, the sale of players with minimal value is not sustainable.
Baggie in Southampton

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #471 on: August 06, 2020, 12:06:58 PM »
Sell on clause must be included if we sell him, he is still young.
The PRIDE of midlands

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #472 on: August 06, 2020, 01:48:01 PM »
The long term plan is the key to success IMO. Change players, change managers, but stick to the plan.

Brentford dispensed with Warburton when they were promoted, as he wanted to do his own thing and not stick to the plan.

Clearly the plan needs to be solid and achievable but once its developed it has to be the driver of all activities.

If JL doesn't fit, then he should be moved on, I still struggle to understand why he seems to be on the "A" list for an exit though.
Albion Family !!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #473 on: August 06, 2020, 02:50:35 PM »
The long term plan is the key to success IMO. Change players, change managers, but stick to the plan.

Brentford dispensed with Warburton when they were promoted, as he wanted to do his own thing and not stick to the plan.

Clearly the plan needs to be solid and achievable but once its developed it has to be the driver of all activities.

If JL doesn't fit, then he should be moved on, I still struggle to understand why he seems to be on the "A" list for an exit though.

What long term plan? Since making his debut at 17 Leko has witnessed

Pulisball basically a deep sitting block with hard working traditional wingers "none of that bloody tippy tappy nonsense"

Pardew a blancmange of waffle aside from some vague notion of being on the front foot.

Moore we went through a number of iterations ended up with wing backs to get two strikers on the pitch but in a general a possession based style.

Bilic at least a continuation of a possession orientated football but we have inverted wingers who are better termed wide strikers.

What exactly is Leko or any other player aiming at here?

Now I am quite happy for the current "Bilic" style to be the long term plan and this might help players coming through like Tulloch or Richards but we are where we are.

Finally Leko's contract position prompts action he has just 12 months left. I would also add that just because Percy who is generally reliable has named him plus a few others does not mean that it will come to pass nor that others would not be moved on if the opportunity arises.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #474 on: August 06, 2020, 02:57:08 PM »
What long term plan? Since making his debut at 17 Leko has witnessed

Pulisball basically a deep sitting block with hard working traditional wingers "none of that bloody tippy tappy nonsense"

Pardew a blancmange of waffle aside from some vague notion of being on the front foot.

Moore we went through a number of iterations ended up with wing backs to get two strikers on the pitch but in a general a possession based style.

Bilic at least a continuation of a possession orientated football but we have inverted wingers who are better termed wide strikers.

What exactly is Leko or any other player aiming at here?

Now I am quite happy for the current "Bilic" style to be the long term plan and this might help players coming through like Tulloch or Richards but we are where we are.

Finally Leko's contract position prompts action he has just 12 months left. I would also add that just because Percy who is generally reliable has named him plus a few others does not mean that it will come to pass nor that others would not be moved on if the opportunity arises.
The point I was trying to make and clearly failing is,
WBAFC need a long term plan and all objectives should be geared to that plan.
The constant flux which you have outlined is a problem, I agree that the hope has to be that Slav is implementing the clubs plan and if and when we part ways the same plan persists
Albion Family !!!