Author Topic: Watering the pitch  (Read 3186 times)

Philly88

• Junior Baggie

Watering the pitch
« on: May 31, 2011, 06:11:58 PM »
Has anyone noticed that the last few home games the ground staff have been watering the pitch before kick off. Then the Baggies players go slipping over far more often than our opponents. Then they water it MORE at half time!  >:(
Let's bring back Micky Evans... thats a good idea

Mike

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Watering the pitch
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 06:13:27 PM »
I'd imagine there instructed to do so by Hodgson.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:46:17 PM »
Gap in the market there...wellies with studs. :D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:09:27 PM »
Gap in the market there...wellies with studs. :D

Dragons den are you watching............
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

Philly88

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 08:18:35 PM »

I don't understand why he keeps wanting us to fall over, I also don't understand why we fall over more than the opposition do lol :). but seriously, it nearly cost us a goal on a couple of occasions
Let's bring back Micky Evans... thats a good idea

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 12:45:27 AM »

;D It is a well known tactic.Stan Cullis did it in the 1950's against Honved.Watered the pitch for 2 days so it was like a bog..hoping Honved couldn't cope.
Seemed to work as Wolves won the match.

socalbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 01:15:28 AM »
Did anyone else notice they had the water on at halftime during the Champion League final at Wembley.

tipton baggie 80

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 07:33:55 AM »
I'd have thought, with a pitch with proper drainage like ours (and wembley), that it speeds up the playing surface, rather than bogging it down. Useful on the counter attack maybe? Speaking completely off the top of my head however...
West Bromwich Albion, finishing above Staffordshire's finest when in the same league over the last 12 years

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 10:59:48 AM »
I'd have thought, with a pitch with proper drainage like ours (and wembley), that it speeds up the playing surface, rather than bogging it down. Useful on the counter attack maybe? Speaking completely off the top of my head however...

I thought that too. I thought it was to provide a slique surface that would help speed up play but obviously only in certain amounts, you dont want to flood the pitch
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 11:12:25 AM »
It is a tactic that is widely used to help speed up the pitch, also can catch out opponents who are not used to playing on freshly watered pitches as they can misjudge the distanjce a pass will travel.