Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556746 times)

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #5125 on: September 06, 2015, 06:48:10 PM »
Could anyone post a link to say when he's contract is up please.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5126 on: September 06, 2015, 07:06:59 PM »
It's okay saying give him a new contract but does anybody trust saido to deliver his side of things.

Not just down to him being a tool but the way we play and where he is likely to play (out wide) I would be shocked if he got 10 goals this season let alone 20. After his best season and as good as he is likely to do for us and at a time when bigger clubs have to get more English talent not one big club came in for him, why would they next season when he probably won't of done as well?

He is not a 18 year old wonder kid, he is a 22 year old with a bad reputation and although a good player he isn't a great player and whether he likes it or not there isn't a queue to sign him.

bigger clubs are in the spotlight more than us and I would think clubs will be aware of his attitude in the past when he got sent back from clubs, to his off the field antics (even when in the England squad by all accounts he was a billy big time according to a few journalists at the time) and i wonder imagine they are weighing up his potential with the hassle and not rushing to sign him.

Keep him on his current contract (not exactly a pittance) if he has a great few months then clubs will want him anyway and pay 20m plus, if we give him a new deal now we risk having a spoilt brat on massive wages who based on past experience will do something stupid again this season yet again reducing the likelihood of clubs wanting to sign him.

The difference between balotelli  and saido is mario has done it at champions league and world cups, admittedly too infrequent but to do it at that level anytime clubs feel the risk is worth it,  at the moment saido clearly isn't seen that why judging by the lack of interest.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #5127 on: September 06, 2015, 07:08:12 PM »
Could anyone post a link to say when he's contract is up please.

He's under contract until 2017.

He signed a three and a half year deal in 2013.

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/saido-signs-new-contract-1204017.aspx
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5128 on: September 06, 2015, 07:12:12 PM »
Purely the best way to move on for both parties , if the press/ talkshite want to make a big deal out of the potential contract thing then clearly they still don't know JP very well.
You are right it is probably the best deal for the club, but the thought of him giggling and high fiving his cronies, in honour of his (perceived) victory, just makes me more angry.
I want him to regret his actions and suffer consequences not get rewarded.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5129 on: September 06, 2015, 07:27:08 PM »
You are right it is probably the best deal for the club, but the thought of him giggling and high fiving his cronies, in honour of his (perceived) victory, just makes me more angry.

I agree unfortunately that's not how it goes when you are of value to the company/club.

Going to be so frustrating all this drama to see him being stuck out on the wing.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5130 on: September 06, 2015, 08:11:21 PM »
It's okay saying give him a new contract but does anybody trust saido to deliver his side of things.

Not just down to him being a tool but the way we play and where he is likely to play (out wide) I would be shocked if he got 10 goals this season let alone 20. After his best season and as good as he is likely to do for us and at a time when bigger clubs have to get more English talent not one big club came in for him, why would they next season when he probably won't of done as well?

He is not a 18 year old wonder kid, he is a 22 year old with a bad reputation and although a good player he isn't a great player and whether he likes it or not there isn't a queue to sign him.

bigger clubs are in the spotlight more than us and I would think clubs will be aware of his attitude in the past when he got sent back from clubs, to his off the field antics (even when in the England squad by all accounts he was a billy big time according to a few journalists at the time) and i wonder imagine they are weighing up his potential with the hassle and not rushing to sign him.

Keep him on his current contract (not exactly a pittance) if he has a great few months then clubs will want him anyway and pay 20m plus, if we give him a new deal now we risk having a spoilt brat on massive wages who based on past experience will do something stupid again this season yet again reducing the likelihood of clubs wanting to sign him.

The difference between balotelli  and saido is mario has done it at champions league and world cups, admittedly too infrequent but to do it at that level anytime clubs feel the risk is worth it,  at the moment saido clearly isn't seen that why judging by the lack of interest.

Its a really tricky one, keep him on the same contract and try to sell at Christmas, or stick him on an improved deal and risk an expensive dead weight around the squad.

I don't envy those making the decision.

Maybe a new contract with severe performance related terms.
Baggie in Southampton

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5131 on: September 06, 2015, 08:22:41 PM »
Personally I don't care any more.

The turd has finished it for me.

Cheers Bellendarinho.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5132 on: September 06, 2015, 08:31:44 PM »
Personally I don't care any more.

The turd has finished it for me.

Cheers Bellendarinho.

Do you know that's about the way I feel
Fek him,all I want is for WBA to optimise their return on him
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5133 on: September 06, 2015, 08:42:51 PM »
Under no circumstances should this turd get a pay rise after what he's done.  You cant reward people for being petulant.

It would smack the faces of the fans who contribute to his wages.  Should rot in the reserves until his contract expires.  We'll see what that does to his career.

We don't need the money not with the amount that's coming in through TV in the next few years.

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5134 on: September 06, 2015, 08:44:50 PM »
Aslong as he scores goals he can say what he wants as far as I'm concerned

more £££ for us when he goes

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5135 on: September 06, 2015, 08:53:58 PM »
Aslong as he scores goals he can say what he wants as far as I'm concerned

more £££ for us when he goes

Really ? Tough one that, I understand gone are the days when players care about the club however someone who clearly doesn't want to play for the club and is an arrogant little so and so like Berahino is dangerously close to taking us for a mug I think.

If he was being played as a striker under a more attacking manager I wouldn't care less as I know he would get us wins however I fail to see how he is so valuable under pulis.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5136 on: September 06, 2015, 08:54:30 PM »
He'll be back for a few sessions in the Pulis naughty chair - he's also not guaranteed a place in our starting line-up.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5137 on: September 06, 2015, 10:13:08 PM »
I am also not very happy to hear he may get a new contract/pay rise BUT at least it will mean the club is back in control of his future (that is why I doubt he will sign).

The 25 mill buyout clause will be written to specify that offers, like the one made by Spurs, can not be considered and Saido will not be able to crumble/rage/dummy spit about them not being accepted. (which I think a large chunk of this is about)..

Truth is that even if he is sell him in January at 10-15 mill (cash up front), it would be better than the deal that Spurs offered.... so people saying we won't get as much for him as his contrart winds down are not quite correct.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:14:51 PM by Aixelsyd »
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5138 on: September 06, 2015, 10:57:05 PM »
I am also not very happy to hear he may get a new contract/pay rise BUT at least it will mean the club is back in control of his future (that is why I doubt he will sign).

He will sign simply because he loses much too much money if he doesn't. Any money he isn't earning now is money he has to earn later and even if he goes to another club and if he gets better pay, he will just be making up for the money he lost earning less for two years (which is a long time in a players career). Since Saido is obviously money driven he will sign the new contract even if he hates it. JP knows exactly where he has him which is why Saido threw his toys.   

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5139 on: September 06, 2015, 10:58:13 PM »
so he says he doesn't want to play  for us, ridicules himself worldwide and possibly gets a huge pay rise. how the hell are you supposed to teach right from wrong if that's the example the club sets.
if this is the reward we give that twonk then the club can do one for me.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5140 on: September 07, 2015, 01:42:14 AM »
Cryptic instagram post in the last hour. I think it's meant to be contrite but who knows? Public apology in the next 48 hours imo.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5141 on: September 07, 2015, 03:17:14 AM »
Interesting comments from Pulis in the Daily Mail, not sensing all that much support from him to the chairman but it's possibly me reading too much into it. I can't post all of the article off my phone but hopefully the link works and someone can add the content later.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3224352/Saido-Berahino-wants-reach-push-limits-wise-insists-West-Brom-boss-Tony-Pulis.html

There are days when Saido Berahino politely knocks on the manager's door at West Brom's training ground and offers to make Tony Pulis a nice cup of green tea.

Pulis takes a pastoral, fatherly role towards Berahino's welfare, and whenever the forward can be dragged off the training pitches they often sit down for an hour or so to discuss the game.

It is there they discuss his future, Berahino's burning desire to play for one of the biggest clubs in the Barclays Premier League and his ambitions to become an established England international.

So what happened in those chaotic, final few hours of the transfer window that provoked Berahino to send a tweet claiming that he would never play for West Brom's chairman Jeremy Peace again?

'Saido wants to test himself at the highest level, to push himself to his limits, against and with the top players in this country,' revealed Pulis in his first interview since Peace went to war with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy.

'Every sportsman should be allowed the opportunity to better themselves in life, to be ambitious and not to settle for the comfort zone. Saido's problem has been how he he's gone about it, and how he has been manipulated into situations that have put him in such a bad light.

'Respect has to be earned and Saido has to learn that lesson. West Brom have nurtured Saido's career for over a decade, the people in the club and on the terraces have supported him, and given him the platform from which he stands today.

'They deserve the utmost respect and at times unwillingly he has shown them little. Do I think he's meant it? Of course not, but he has to grow up and wise up to the fact that people at West Brom have supported him right from the beginning of his career.'

West Brom's owner was pulling the strings on transfers from his home in Jersey and would not budge, even when Levy offered the really big money. The Spurs chairman had more than met his match.

In the weeks leading up to the close of the window, Berahino was distracted by the constant speculation about Spurs' interest.

Pulis was forced to take him out of the West Brom team for the draw at Watford on August 15 and again the following week against Chelsea. At the time, Pulis insisted the player's head 'wasn't right'.

Pulis added: 'I spoke to Saido and told him not to get involved in anything else but football, but again - unfortunately - he didn't listen. By handing in a transfer request, he only antagonised the whole situation.

'Saido listens to the last person who speaks to him and does things that are not reflective of him. He also brought his mum in one day to have a meeting with Jeremy and I don't think that helped.'

On deadline day there was a further twist when Tottenham threw in winger Andros Townsend and central defender Federico Fazio as part of a package. Pulis added: 'I made it clear on the fee I felt acceptable. At the end there was talk of two other players being part of the deal as well but the final say went with the chairman.'

Berahino simply wanted to get away, to further his ambitions after knuckling down last season when Pulis arrived at the club to help keep them in the Premier League.

His goals, particularly during a purple patch in February, confirmed his class and the big boys have been after the England Under 21 striker ever since. Spurs were first in the queue.

'I gave an honest appraisal of Saido, and told (Tottenham's head of recruitment) Paul Mitchell, that given both chairman's reputations, I would expect it to be a long hard battle, if Spurs come back.

'Once Saido is focused he is a decent lad and a good player. He said they would make a bid and I told him it was up to Jeremy and Daniel to do a deal.

'I will always be honest about a player, I will tell them the truth. Does it mean I want him to move? No, but I won't cut a player up by being dishonest. If I thought they were not up to a certain standard I would give an honest opinion.'

Berahino is expected back in training on Monday, returning to West Brom for the first time since Pulis told him to spend a few days away to help clear his head.

The provocative tweet from a private jet did not improve Pulis's mood, but he is convinced his striker needs more guidance.

'It's almost like he is influenced by the last person who talks to him. He lacks real mentors in his life. He lost his dad very early and I believe that played a pivotal part in his behaviour.

'There should be mentors in academies, more ex-senior players involved with the youngsters, to mix with them, integrate and tell them about their experience of the game and their careers — they could play a big part.'

At Stoke, Pulis worked with the club's former players, such as Denis Smith and Alan Durban, to guide the young players as they progressed through the academy.

Berahino is a first-team player now, and Pulis will be considering his options regarding the striker ahead of Saturday's fixture with Southampton.

Most of West Brom's players are on international duty and Pulis knows some members of a tightly-knit group will find it difficult to accept Berahino's return.

Pulis added: 'It will be difficult to integrate Saido into this group. His attitude will be questioned. The lads are very honest and hardworking and Saido will have to show that in abundance.

'The supporters will also be looking for a player who wears their badge with commitment and honesty. They are extremely proud of this famous club and will want to see Saido showing the respect they deserve.'

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:58:33 AM by OldburyWBA »

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5142 on: September 07, 2015, 05:44:01 AM »
Does anyone believe that Spurs threw in Townsend and Fazio as part of the deal on the last day? First i have heard of it. Fazio didn't come over terms so how could they "throw" him in?

The media always like to show the big clubs in a favourable light.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5143 on: September 07, 2015, 06:32:23 AM »
Does anyone believe that Spurs threw in Townsend and Fazio as part of the deal on the last day? First i have heard of it. Fazio didn't come over terms so how could they "throw" him in?

The media always like to show the big clubs in a favourable light.

That part of the article is in inverted commas so is a quote attributed to Pulis.
So yes I believe there were two players offered in the exchange, not sure if it was Fazio and Townsend but it would appear that two players were offered in part ex.
Pulis is basically saying he wanted the deal but the Chairman had other ideas.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #5144 on: September 07, 2015, 08:07:04 AM »
Nice quote from Pulis in The Daily Mail:
'The supporters will also be looking for a player who wears their badge with commitment and honesty. They are extremely proud of this famous club and will want to see Saido showing the respect they deserve.'

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5145 on: September 07, 2015, 08:10:41 AM »
Nice quote from Pulis in The Daily Mail:
While some aren't keen on Pulis for football reasons for me you couldn't have a better bloke to handle this situation with Saido.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5146 on: September 07, 2015, 08:14:15 AM »
Impressed what Pulis had to say in that piece, thought it was very honest and showed Saido that his antics won't be put up with whilst still offering a helping hand to get him playing football again. If there is one thing that has come out of this mess I think Pulis has handled it very well.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5147 on: September 07, 2015, 08:17:01 AM »
Baggie in Southampton

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5148 on: September 07, 2015, 08:25:17 AM »
Interesting comments from Pulis in the Daily Mail, not sensing all that much support from him to the chairman but it's possibly me reading too much into it. I can't post all of the article off my phone but hopefully the link works and someone can add the content later.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3224352/Saido-Berahino-wants-reach-push-limits-wise-insists-West-Brom-boss-Tony-Pulis.html

I've just looked on Newsnow & none of the other papers ran this story yesterday, I'm just wondering why Tony Pulis would want to give an exclusive interview to the Daily Mail?
The whole episode doesn't make sense to me. For some time now, it's been pretty obvious that Berahino is a "high maintenance" player, & a decent offer from another club would be enough to temp us to move him on.
I thought the offer from Spurs would be attractive to JP, but he was was backing TP, who felt he could get more out of him.
If the reverse is the case, then JP clearly isn't supporting his manager in football isssues................here we go again!!!!
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5149 on: September 07, 2015, 08:25:35 AM »
Dont always agree with some of Pulis's football but i always think he comes across as a decent honest bloke and that interview confirms that.

If anybody can sort Berahino out it will be him, i bet he must be even more gutted as since Pulis came in it looked like progress was made, then he has hit outburst, i bet Pulis takes things like that quite personal.

I dont know but the fact Pulis was willing to sell him was so Saido did get the chance to play higher but also he probably knew at some stage, Saido would play the idiot again and he is now left with an extra job of trying to get him back within the squad, said it before but Pulis prides himself on the all in together, got each others backs, etc approach so last thing you need is some jumped up helmet messing things up.