Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2567435 times)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #7400 on: April 10, 2016, 08:39:12 PM »
Definitely time to move him on - best for him and us ( if we can get food money for him).

He's badly let himself down overall this season and wasted an opportunity to become a top premier league player. He will have to start again somewhere else. He had quality but also has a lot to learn .....on the pitch and seemingly off it. I can see him trading water for a few years until his late 20s when he might've grown up a bit more?

I agree, I think in terms of talent he's similar to Andy Carroll, great when he can be bothered but too inconsistent to be a real star due to attitude. Nonetheless, he's clearly a good Premier League striker which means we'll get some good money for him.

Unlike last year, we haven't been as reliant on him. He's still got some important goals and flashes of quality but we've slowly moved on from him which is good for next season.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7401 on: April 11, 2016, 09:05:20 AM »
We have a 1 year left plus a 1 year option don't we ?

When he signed his new contract the details made public at the time were that it would last until the summer of 2017 with no mention of an option at all. Tony Pulis in a Sky interview is the only one I've seen mention that we have a year option on him.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7402 on: April 11, 2016, 12:50:26 PM »
He is a forward who can make goals for himself & others who has ruined a great start to his pro career by what has happened to his head this season if or when he fills his full potential the football world could/would be his oyster. :-\ ::) ???
I would rather have him playing for us than against us but only if he signed a new contract with us before the start of the season 
F--king spurs.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:13:26 PM by geoff »

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7403 on: April 11, 2016, 12:56:54 PM »
Definitely time to move him on - best for him and us ( if we can get food money for him).

He's badly let himself down overall this season and wasted an opportunity to become a top premier league player. He will have to start again somewhere else. He had quality but also has a lot to learn .....on the pitch and seemingly off it. I can see him trading water for a few years until his late 20s when he might've grown up a bit more?

Do the squad need beefing up then?
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7404 on: April 11, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks maybe he isn't actually all that good? I think he's a very good player but we are about his level... A mid to lower prem team, he misses an awful lot of chances that a player of his supposed talent should be putting away. If he wasn't English what would his value be? 8 million? 10 perhaps?

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7405 on: April 11, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks maybe he isn't actually all that good? I think he's a very good player but we are about his level... A mid to lower prem team, he misses an awful lot of chances that a player of his supposed talent should be putting away. If he wasn't English what would his value be? 8 million? 10 perhaps?

Your opinion is as good as mine or anybody else.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7406 on: April 11, 2016, 01:31:28 PM »
Would imagine it would be around 10 million if he wasnt english.

Your right in what your saying though, I cant see many clubs looking to pay our valuation for him unless its staggered in a realistic way.

Cant also see many 'big' clubs eyeing him up, with Spurs finishing 2nd they might set the stall a little higher for someone to push/partner Kane, and with Newcastle looking likely to face the drop thats another suitor gone.

Only way I could see someone paying sill money is if for example, Lukaku goes for silly money from Everton and it starts a striker merry go round.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7407 on: April 11, 2016, 02:39:02 PM »

Not at all, on his day which hasn't been that often this season he good.
His head was turned last Summer and we have had to put up with the fall out this year.
I hope the club ask him if he wants to stay or go at the end of the season, then move him on or work with him.
Knowing the way the footballing world works I can see us being left out on a limb again up the the close of the transfer window in August because I'd be very surprised if anybody met the suggested value of £25m after his antics this year.
Personally I'd play Leko for the remaining games to get him a bit of experience and led Saido get on with what he does best.
Sulking
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7408 on: April 11, 2016, 02:49:05 PM »

Shhhhh don't let anyone know  ;)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7409 on: April 11, 2016, 03:20:51 PM »
A striker with any sort of scoring record in the Premier League is like gold dust, add in that he is home grown (which may or may not be useful) and he has young therefore with potential sell on value drives up the price. Players with good goal scoring records in the Championship are going for around £10m so it is not a huge stretch to get to £20m. Although I agree this season has done nothing to enhance his reputation nor increase his value.

With regard to suitors Newcastle are likely to out of the picture but I don't think Spurs have gone away and they seem to have been joined by Stoke. However as an earlier poster noted there are bound to be moves during the window and who knows where that might take him.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7410 on: April 11, 2016, 04:31:33 PM »

This season he has done himself no favours at all.
He needs another season to get himself back to where he once was.

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7411 on: April 11, 2016, 07:17:12 PM »
He needs to go in the Summer, I wouldn't want a repeat of this season with him in a strop if he doesn't get a move so it's best all round if he goes.

I think Spurs have first refusal, but whether we get the 20 million is debatable.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7412 on: April 11, 2016, 09:33:54 PM »
I think there is or a least was a superb player in there. He's got a dreadful attitude, 2 years ago he was the England u-21's best player, miles ahead of Kane, look at them now.

On reflection I don't think we'll ever see the best of Saido in an Albion shirt again.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7413 on: April 12, 2016, 01:07:11 PM »
I think there is or a least was a superb player in there. He's got a dreadful attitude, 2 years ago he was the England u-21's best player, miles ahead of Kane, look at them now.

On reflection I don't think we'll ever see the best of Saido in an Albion shirt again.

I totally agree. It doesn't help with him being played out of position either. He needs to move on for everyone's sake. Spent wisely we could get 2 quality players in for the money we are likely to get for him.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7414 on: April 12, 2016, 01:27:01 PM »
lets hope hes not a bad influence on Leko
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7415 on: April 13, 2016, 12:04:22 AM »
we kept him...only to then discover hes  ordinary at best...another half a season like that and the penny will drop that he was just a 20 game flash in the pan and we will be lucky to get 6 mio for him - irony is, if he had of gone to spurs everyone would be now looking at our low goals scored and saying "if we'd only kept saido".

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7416 on: April 13, 2016, 04:20:39 PM »
No mate i think that aswell, he is miles behind Kane, Vardy Andy Carroll and even Danny Ings who as been injured for most of the season!!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7417 on: April 13, 2016, 04:39:52 PM »
I keep seeing transfer gossip (mostly on BBC text) linking Spurs with lots of  strikers...Dembele from Rennes and Mandzukic from Juventus mainly....maybe Berahino has shot himself in the foot with his antics and Spurs are looking elsewhere.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7418 on: April 14, 2016, 08:09:14 AM »
watch him go in the right team
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7419 on: April 14, 2016, 10:45:22 AM »
I keep seeing transfer gossip (mostly on BBC text) linking Spurs with lots of  strikers...Dembele from Rennes and Mandzukic from Juventus mainly....maybe Berahino has shot himself in the foot with his antics and Spurs are looking elsewhere.

I think there is every chance but equally it doesn't hurt Spurs to be linked with various strikers as it reminds us that Saido isn't a unique talent but the fact he has scored goals in this division and the others although very good players haven't and that weighs heavily with them.  They also know they can play him with Kane
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7420 on: April 14, 2016, 11:07:02 AM »
No mate i think that aswell, he is miles behind Kane, Vardy Andy Carroll and even Danny Ings who as been injured for most of the season!!

I thought I was the only one who thought that. If we can still get 20 million in the summer I would rip someones hand off

Doobuy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7421 on: April 14, 2016, 01:33:25 PM »
We have to remember that other teams will appreciate he has been playing under Pullia, who has done ajob at keeping us up but it hasnt exactly been a pleasure to watch / attacking football. He is likely to thrive in a team with attacking tendencies, with the bonus that he has developed a tracking back / hardworking edge to his game which will be useful for whoever takes him for their more challenging fixutres. Hardly any strikers flourish under Pullis - Rondon will be as good as it gets next season

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7422 on: April 14, 2016, 03:13:04 PM »
He's more a Danny Ings than a Harry Kane probably in terms of goalscoring? A good premier league striker who can regularly score 15+ a season provided he has the right service and his attitude is better. I don't think he'll ever be England material other than a peripheral player at best (a la Defoe)?

All of that is still worth at least £20m in today's money, maybe £30m for someone his age?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7423 on: April 14, 2016, 08:21:52 PM »
He's more a Danny Ings than a Harry Kane probably in terms of goalscoring? A good premier league striker who can regularly score 15+ a season provided he has the right service and his attitude is better. I don't think he'll ever be England material other than a peripheral player at best (a la Defoe)?

All of that is still worth at least £20m in today's money, maybe £30m for someone his age?

I'd take Defoe if Sunderland went down though!

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7424 on: April 15, 2016, 03:59:42 AM »
3 years too late for Defoe - you'll be hoping for a Kevin Phillips but you'd get an Anelka