Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718247 times)

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2050 on: May 15, 2019, 08:22:45 PM »
Hughton - not for me - gets into negative/defensive mode too easily, think we should look at somebody up and coming who wants to make a name for themselves - we need to be brave
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2051 on: May 15, 2019, 08:52:16 PM »
Keep seeing the criticisms of Hughton's style.

He's pragmatic, gets results and has two promotions to his name in this division - his sides scored 90 and 74 goals in those seasons so hardly uninspiring.

We have tried prating around playing nice football in this division - we couldn't.
We finished 4th.

Given the overhaul this playing squad requires, I would prefer it to happen with a relatively safe pair of hands in charge.

I personally cannot see a better candidate..

Because the club needs a squad overhaul to have a team that can adapt to modern football.

We've basically returned to Pulis-ball the past few months, its not worth it. Even if it gets you promoted, then what? The entertainment value is zero. Hughton at every club he's been at has eventually had the Pulis issue that his football becomes so bad its not worth it. I'd rather us fail but with ambition then continue down this path.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2052 on: May 15, 2019, 09:19:49 PM »
Hughton is a yes from me, underestimated what a great job he did at Brighton.
Baggie in Southampton

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2053 on: May 15, 2019, 09:21:44 PM »
Because the club needs a squad overhaul to have a team that can adapt to modern football.

We've basically returned to Pulis-ball the past few months, its not worth it. Even if it gets you promoted, then what? The entertainment value is zero. Hughton at every club he's been at has eventually had the Pulis issue that his football becomes so bad its not worth it. I'd rather us fail but with ambition then continue down this path.

You'd like us to fail with ambition?

What exactly is that?

I just want us to win.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2054 on: May 15, 2019, 09:35:03 PM »

What exactly is that?

I just want us to win.

Something more than sticking 10 men behind the ball aiming for a set piece goal on 30% possession just so we can earn the right to play in the premier league where we'll aim to play even more direct in the hope we can scrap 38 points and finish 17th, only to repeat it year after year till we eventually, invevitably fail.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2055 on: May 15, 2019, 09:48:20 PM »

What exactly is that?

I just want us to win.

It's what we were doing with Jones as assistant.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2056 on: May 15, 2019, 09:49:19 PM »
Something more than sticking 10 men behind the ball aiming for a set piece goal on 30% possession just so we can earn the right to play in the premier league where we'll aim to play even more direct in the hope we can scrap 38 points and finish 17th, only to repeat it year after year till we eventually, invevitably fail.

We didn't play like that last night.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2057 on: May 15, 2019, 09:56:57 PM »

You're fooling yourself if you think Jenkins is going to oversee some modern football overhaul of the coaching staff...

He's the best available for our current position.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2058 on: May 15, 2019, 10:00:57 PM »

We tried the champagne football under Mowbray.

The dingles play a counter attacking game which relies on players who in the main have cost around £15m each. 2 of them are imo a waste of money in Costa and troare (£18m for sub).

In the prem attractive football costs a lot of money and even then it isn't guaranteed.

On paper Palace have a great offensive squad yet only scored 19 at home.

You're only as good as as your strikers as odemwingie and lakuku proved for us and that has been hughton failing at BHA, but is a failing that also affected Huddersfield and Cardiff and the rest, like Palace survived on their defences.

Yes, attractive football is brilliant, but imo winning football is better.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2059 on: May 15, 2019, 10:09:55 PM »
If we can't convince Jokanovic then Hughton is my pick.

No more average ex-players, with a 'knowledge of the club'.

Rip them out root and stem...  8)

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2060 on: May 15, 2019, 10:13:00 PM »
Hughton - not for me - gets into negative/defensive mode too easily, think we should look at somebody up and coming who wants to make a name for themselves - we need to be brave
Have to agree. For me Hughton will make us a solid difficult to beat Championship team not unlike Pulis did in the Premier League. I'd give him until Christmas before we were all complaining about dull football and a lack of entertainment and calling for him to be sacked.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2061 on: May 15, 2019, 10:19:59 PM »
Have to agree. For me Hughton will make us a solid difficult to beat Championship team not unlike Pulis did in the Premier League. I'd give him until Christmas before we were all complaining about dull football and a lack of entertainment and calling for him to be sacked.

You clearly didn’t watch his promotion-winning Norwich and Brighton sides.  Check the stats. 90 and 74 goals.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2062 on: May 15, 2019, 10:28:59 PM »
You clearly didn’t watch his promotion-winning Norwich and Brighton sides.  Check the stats. 90 and 74 goals.

We scored 80 odd goals this season but you could hardly say we've been anything close to entertaining in the vast majority of those games. Particularly under Shan were we've been extremely direct with very little technical ability but still got plenty of goals.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2063 on: May 15, 2019, 10:31:22 PM »
In the unlikely event that Jenkins doesn't balls it up we have to put in his contract that he promises not bring Jacob Murphy back to us, despite him giving him his debut.

Absolutely terrible player, but one that makes me feel a scintilla less angry about the Burke, as it appears many teams have their own expensive donkey signings with the likes of traore and Costa at the dings.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2064 on: May 15, 2019, 10:31:44 PM »
I have to admit I saw little of Brighton's promotion season but have read a number of comments from Norwich fans who have all claimed that his style was very uninspiring. If he is appointed I hope that you are right and we get something to cheer about. I guess a lot depends upon the squad of players that would be available.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2065 on: May 15, 2019, 10:32:01 PM »
If we're going to consider Hughton, surely Moyes must be in the frame then ;D
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2066 on: May 15, 2019, 10:41:53 PM »
Just to add to this - here is an interest view from both Brighton and Norwich fans,

"Negative football
One of the biggest bugbears that Brighton supporters seem to have with Hughton is his negative approach to games, which is best summed up by the recent record-breaking 12 hours and 15 minutes that we managed to go without a goal. Connor tells us that Norwich fans had similar complaints.

“It’s fair to say it was negative. Norwich fans struggle to recall any performances under Hughton that provoke any ounce of excitement, to be honest."

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2067 on: May 15, 2019, 10:42:16 PM »
I have to admit I saw little of Brighton's promotion season but have read a number of comments from Norwich fans who have all claimed that his style was very uninspiring. If he is appointed I hope that you are right and we get something to cheer about. I guess a lot depends upon the squad of players that would be available.

I think the Norwich fans were more negative about the following season when they went up, without investing in new players.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2068 on: May 15, 2019, 10:45:57 PM »
Just to add to this - here is an interest view from both Brighton and Norwich fans,

"Negative football
One of the biggest bugbears that Brighton supporters seem to have with Hughton is his negative approach to games, which is best summed up by the recent record-breaking 12 hours and 15 minutes that we managed to go without a goal. Connor tells us that Norwich fans had similar complaints.

“It’s fair to say it was negative. Norwich fans struggle to recall any performances under Hughton that provoke any ounce of excitement, to be honest."

They are talking about when in the Premier League. A different ballgame altogether.   Norwich didn’t invest at all when they went up.  Brighton did, not not until this season when they still had the third lowest wage bill yet didn’t finish in the top 3.

All managers struggle at one point, even the very best ones. The good ones learn from their mistakes and do things differently the next time round.  The bad ones just keep repeating their mistakes.

Let’s get there first.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2069 on: May 15, 2019, 10:46:31 PM »
If we're going to consider Hughton, surely Moyes must be in the frame then ;D

Nope !

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2070 on: May 15, 2019, 10:48:28 PM »
I doubt it will happen but personally I'd like Monk to manage us. He plays good football and seems a decent bloke.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2071 on: May 15, 2019, 10:48:45 PM »
Matt Wilson. Said Hughton and Cowley early front runners. Interested in Viera too.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2072 on: May 15, 2019, 10:50:22 PM »
They are talking about when in the Premier League. A different ballgame altogether.   Norwich didn’t invest at all when they went up.  Brighton did, not not until this season when they still had the third lowest wage bill yet didn’t finish in the top 3.

All managers struggle at one point, even the very best ones. The good ones learn from their mistakes and do things differently the next time round.  The bad ones just keep repeating their mistakes.

Let’s get there first.
My head in a way says that you are right but my heart still wants a football revolution with someone like Graham Potter coming in a building a team from scratch.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2073 on: May 15, 2019, 10:53:07 PM »
Maybe after Leeds implosion, Bielsa might become available. With financial backing he would play football we would all enjoy.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2074 on: May 15, 2019, 11:06:55 PM »
Don't like hypocritical Burnley, but I read somwhere that they operate on a £58m wage bill, which I am sure leaves enough for the likes of Barry "West brom get an illegal subsidy" Kilby a nice little earner.

Amazingly low wage bill, but a very unattractive workmanlike team.

I'd take Dyche in the unlikely event he becomes available as his recruitment is quite exceptional, but who else here would?