Author Topic: Ally Robertson  (Read 4686 times)

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

Ally Robertson
« on: July 07, 2017, 07:30:07 PM »

hillsm

• Junior Baggie

Re: Ally Robertson
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 12:42:36 AM »
According to a friend of mine, he works at a BMW dealership in Shrewsbury now. He sold the car to him.

I imagine it will be an interesting read so I'll probably buy it.

Funnily enough, a patient of mine where I practice in Barnsley is a former top level referee. I saw him yesterday and he brought with him two Albion News programmes of games from the early seventies that he had officiated in for me to read. One was against the Villa and the other an FA Cup third round tie against Blackpool. Just looking at our squad on the back covers makes me want to learn more about that era as the list of names is something special.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 07:07:17 AM »
He'regulary'calls'in'my'local'after'work,he'has'hardly'changed

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 07:12:14 AM »
According to a friend of mine, he works at a BMW dealership in Shrewsbury now. He sold the car to him.

I imagine it will be an interesting read so I'll probably buy it.

Funnily enough, a patient of mine where I practice in Barnsley is a former top level referee. I saw him yesterday and he brought with him two Albion News programmes of games from the early seventies that he had officiated in for me to read. One was against the Villa and the other an FA Cup third round tie against Blackpool. Just looking at our squad on the back covers makes me want to learn more about that era as the list of names is something special.

The'Blackpool'game'was'Jan'78.Cyrille'scored'one'of'our'4'goals'thus'scoring'on'his'debut'in'league'league'cup'and'FA'Cup

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 10:37:27 AM »
I've met Ally a few time, cracking bloke.

Will definitely be buying this.

"A legend at West Bromwich Albion and icon at Wolverhampton Wanderers, Alistair Robertson is a rare footballer who can walk tall either side of a bitter Black Country divide. The tough-tackling Scot spent 18 years at Albion, gaining promotion under Johnny Giles and becoming a rock during the club's heyday from the mid-1970s alongside skipper John Wile. Ultimately Ron Atkinson's entertainers fell short although not before they had blazed a trail at home and abroad and the likes of Cyrille Regis, Laurie Cunningham and Bryan Robson had thrilled a nation. He experienced early struggles under Don Howe and other managers earned his ire. But that was nothing to a dislike of Ron Saunders who forced him out of the club in tears. Robertson recovered to lead an ailing Wolves to two league titles and a Wembley victory in a team spearheaded by Steve Bull's goals. Then there's the drinking culture that united players but almost cost him his life at the height of his fame".
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 11:00:24 AM »
I see him most mornings walking his dog . Loves the Albion but never mentions Wolves.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 11:44:22 AM »
In my mind's eye I can still see that half-sliding tackle he perfected, down on one knee and make sure you get a bit of something if you don't get the ball.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 11:53:30 AM »
It's also written by Bill Howell formerly of the Birmingham Mail who took over from Chris L after he left.

Could say Bill was the last decent local journo we had.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 01:05:15 PM »
As long as he is mainly Baggie

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 02:00:34 PM »
I remember this tackle on Hopkins it was bone shuddering and would be a definite red and four match ban
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2022/03/31/ally-robertson-i-always-loved-a-west-brom--birmingham-derby-just-ask-blues-robert-hopkins/
What a legend Robertson was and so under rated - a real hero.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 02:20:35 PM »
In my mind's eye I can still see that half-sliding tackle he perfected, down on one knee and make sure you get a bit of something if you don't get the ball.
I don’t get it
There seems to be a strange glorification of smashing players back then?
A foul is a foul , football is about entertainment not trying to ruin careers or put people in wheelchairs.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Davros1582

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2022, 04:55:55 PM »
It wasn't a case of smashing players as most didn't  the difference is that now its foul when most times it isnt. For us of a certain vintage we miss the genuine physicality  that existed and was expected . The balance of course is somewhere in the middle but this has been lost forever now in the age of the likes of grealish

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2022, 05:20:01 PM »
I don’t get it
A foul is a foul , football is about entertainment not trying to ruin careers or put people in wheelchairs.
snowflake  ;)

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2022, 05:25:43 PM »
The game was more physical and the demands on the players from a contact point of view were higher. During his time here many players did not even wear shin pads. When Martin Jol first signed, he was sent off for a challenge that he felt was not even worth a yellow card (i think he was quoted as saying that you have to break someone's leg to get a red). So, the game was in the same state overseas as well.
The game has evolved, and tackles are seen in a different light and the change has been slowly moving forward since the late 70's and early 80's. The spectacle now is just different and fans expectations have changed.
Ally Robertson was an incredible servant to the club, as were many of that era. They really connected to the club and felt part of it. You just feel like this is the exception more than the rule now. 

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2022, 05:29:11 PM »
I read this book and other than his habitual drink driving tales it was a bit boring.

throstle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2022, 07:23:27 AM »
Ally's tackle on Hopkins is on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/wixYKdwhvMU

Ally was hard like all defenders back then but I can't recall him seriously injuring any player. He suffered a broken leg himself in 1970.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2022, 08:19:43 AM »

Ally was hard like all defenders back then but I can't recall him seriously injuring any player. He suffered a broken leg himself in 1970.
Funny how you forget things - nowadays we look to see if the ref is reaching for his cards, then you watched to see if the arm went up and pointed to the tunnel.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2022, 02:17:39 PM »

I remember it well. It certainly got the crowd excited.  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2022, 09:03:07 PM »
I wish people would stop resurrecting threads about our old players. Every time I see one I think they've died :(
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2022, 09:18:09 PM »
I wish people would stop resurrecting threads about our old players. Every time I see one I think they've died :(
This exactly what I thought at first.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2022, 08:31:39 AM »
I don’t get it
It was part of the game and not many players got seriously injured probably no worse than today, put it this way the games didn't finish with six a side!
Football was more entertaining then compared to the borefest most games are today.