Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 767056 times)

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
Expectations could be an issue with us this summer, I personally believe Foster is better than the two we currently have but can anyone honestly say it is a significant enough difference to appease most of our fans. Afterall Foster makes plenty of errors and as mentioned by other plays in a much more defensive minded side at Birmingham, if you take into account the kind of fee they will want for him then I can understand why some would certainly be unsure about him.

I think the link to him is a little tenuous to begin with to be honest as everyone knows we need a keeper so we are easy to link to.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »
Ben Foster is as class goalkeeper, I'm not sure who some of our fans expect us to get  :-\

I think class is certainly abit too far. Class is the word I'd give to the likes of Petr Cech and Edwin Van Dar Saar, Foster is good, but certainly not class.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 08:34:56 PM »
I disagree mate I think he is class, i think he at least top 10 in the Prem if not top 6 so in my opinion I think he is class. Whoever comes in I think that he is going to have a job on his hands because some of our fans I actually dont think have a very good knowledge of football and seem to think that the goalkeeper is to blame for most goals and the first thing that goes wrong they will want Carson back in e.g. the chants for Deano even though he got a lot of abuse. To the people who dont think he is is very good I'd like to ask them who they actually believe is a better keeper than him that we could sign?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 08:47:56 PM »
I disagree mate I think he is class, i think he at least top 10 in the Prem if not top 6 so in my opinion I think he is class. Whoever comes in I think that he is going to have a job on his hands because some of our fans I actually dont think have a very good knowledge of football and seem to think that the goalkeeper is to blame for most goals and the first thing that goes wrong they will want Carson back in e.g. the chants for Deano even though he got a lot of abuse. To the people who dont think he is is very good I'd like to ask them who they actually believe is a better keeper than him that we could sign?

I don't think it's realistic we could sign him though in honesty, because Birmingham will be looking for a high figure fee which we're certainly not going to pay. Ben Foster, credit to him is a good keeper but certainly not class. If he such a class keeper why didn't he ever feature more for Manchester United? As someone said above, often falling behind PIG in the running. He certainly isn't class if the PIG is squeezing his way above him. He then was loaned out to Watford after only making 12 appearances for Man United, not exactly 'class'. Five international appearances since 2007 doesn't have much class about it.

I'd take Foster at our club but there isn't much difference between him or Carson in honesty. The money which Birmingham would ask for means any potential deal is a no-go.

Edit: Apologies if this sounds arrogant, it isn't meant to be  :D

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 08:59:21 PM »
Whoever comes in I think that he is going to have a job on his hands because some of our fans I actually dont think have a very good knowledge of football and seem to think that the goalkeeper is to blame for most goals.

I do agree with you there, however. It's a good point, and we're only adding more pressure onto the goalkeepers shoulders. Playing behind our defence is already bad enough!

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 09:00:08 PM »
Not arrogant at all just your opinion mate, but I see it differently because I think he is class thats why we probably wont sign him because a class team such as Spurs will probably get him  ;)

The point I'm trying to make really is that a lot of people (I know you dont) slag our goalkeeper off and want a new one yet when a decent keeper does come up they also feel he is not good enough so I'm struggling to see what they actaully expect.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 09:07:08 PM »
Not arrogant at all just your opinion mate, but I see it differently because I think he is class thats why we probably wont sign him because a class team such as Spurs will probably get him  ;)

The point I'm trying to make really is that a lot of people (I know you dont) slag our goalkeeper off and want a new one yet when a decent keeper does come up they also feel he is not good enough so I'm struggling to see what they actaully expect.

Can only agree with your second point and one when I've asked a similar question to several Carson 'haters' and got no reply. I'd hate to be a goalkeeper at our club, the demands of the fans are unreal. Scott Carson is at a young age and has the ability to be a decent keeper, if he gets the right coaching and the fans remain fully behind him.

I saw an article on here about a journalist who attended a game as a neutral against Chelsea and yet heard the abuse Carson was given. He then went an made an article on it and it was posted on here. It's embarrasing that other people have picked upon our high demands.

Spurs need a keeper in fairness as Gomes just isn't reliable as he's proved on a few occasions this season. I'm sure Ben Foster would do well there as he'll be playing behind two very impressive centre backs in Michael Dawson and Ledley King.

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 09:21:14 PM »
How many other games did you see him play?

Every time I saw him he made some fantastic saves and kept Birmingham in numerous games, how many games can we say Carson kept us in as it wouldn't be half as many.

I know, of course he'd be an improvement.

How many games have we seen this season where Carson hasn't had that much to do though. I think we need a steady but reliable keeper in the Sorensen mould over an eccentric matchwinner like Foster.

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2011, 09:43:16 PM »
I think class is certainly abit too far. Class is the word I'd give to the likes of Petr Cech and Edwin Van Dar Saar, Foster is good, but certainly not class.

Agree. He is far to overrated imo. And i'd quite frankly have scotty as they make just as many mistakes than the other however scotty's kicking wins it for me
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

Rich99

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2011, 09:51:19 PM »
I think there will be other clubs willing to pay more than us sniffing around him.

Also, doesn't he have a questionable injury record?  If we paid a huge amount for him it perhaps might be a bit of a risk.

This is about the 4th or 5th keeper we've been linked with in the last few weeks.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011, 09:52:03 PM »
Agree. He is far to overrated imo. And i'd quite frankly have scotty as they make just as many mistakes than the other however scotty's kicking wins it for me

I'd love to keep Carson but he is never going to be accepted here by some idiots, even if he had a solid first 10 games if he made one mistake next game everyone would be on his back again. Its a disgrace that it has got like this and it makes me ashamed that people like that are associated with the team I support.

Personally if we did get Ben Foster I think it would be a brilliant signing, but I dont see it happening. I do think we need a new keeper not because Carson isnt good enough but because of the reason above

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 09:56:01 PM »
Top draw shot stopper but doesnt convince me on crosses for a big bloke,given our history of set pieces im not sure he is the right bloke.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 10:13:07 PM »
I don't know why people have been focussing on a few mistakes. I've seen him have absolute blinders for Blues and he could be a regular in the England team (although I accept there is no other obvious choice). I think we should snap him up unless the price is way outside our budget.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 10:17:58 PM »
Top draw shot stopper but doesnt convince me on crosses for a big bloke,given our history of set pieces im not sure he is the right bloke.

Agree with that and well mentioned, I've saw him flap once or twice on crosses this season. Fulham the other week at St Andrews, aswell as Paul Scharner's goal at St Andrews. I think we've all mentioned the need for a commanding keeper but it's a struggle getting one. If we can't find a keeper, then I'll be happy enough with Scott Carson.

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 10:25:38 PM »
Would be a no from me I think, older than Carson, would cost a big fee and I think he is overrated. I'd say this season he has made more individual errors then Carson has this season and his more basic flaws in his game (I think his decision making and kicking has been poor whenever I have seen him)

Granted he isn't terrible, but don't think he is better than what we have, especially for what Blues would want for him.
Don't really buy the good shot stopper argument either as I saw an interesting stat in the paper last week which I can't remember it exactly but, obviously before this last weekend of games, Foster had been forced to make a save more often than any other goalkeeper which made me think the reason he is seen to make so many good saves is because he has so many opportunities to make them.

Yes i know you could argue that obviously it means he has more chances to make a mistake but I think his mistakes come from other parts of his game which I feel Carson and Myhill are both better at.

Ogwani

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 10:39:01 PM »
Would be a no from me I think, older than Carson, would cost a big fee and I think he is overrated. I'd say this season he has made more individual errors then Carson has this season and his more basic flaws in his game (I think his decision making and kicking has been poor whenever I have seen him)

Granted he isn't terrible, but don't think he is better than what we have, especially for what Blues would want for him.
Don't really buy the good shot stopper argument either as I saw an interesting stat in the paper last week which I can't remember it exactly but, obviously before this last weekend of games, Foster had been forced to make a save more often than any other goalkeeper which made me think the reason he is seen to make so many good saves is because he has so many opportunities to make them.

Yes i know you could argue that obviously it means he has more chances to make a mistake but I think his mistakes come from other parts of his game which I feel Carson and Myhill are both better at.

Overrated? With respect I think that's absolutely ridiculous.

Foster is one of the best keepers in the league, the statistics even show he's made more saves than any other keeper in the league. I'm sorry but we've had less on target shots against us and conceded more goals than Birmingham so what does that tell you?  Blues' defense has been shaky for the majority of the season and he's been utterly fantastic.

We don't have a chance at Foster because he's a 10 million rate keeper, what we have are 2 million rated keepers. Foster has probably had the best season out of any this season, he won them the League Cup and kept them in games against Chelsea, Stoke, Aston Villa, Fulham, Blackburn, Tottenham and probably more which have slipped my mind. Birmingham City would've been on about 15 less points or more if they had Carson in goal instead of Foster FACT.

Why do all the people who defend Carson slate other keepers?
If this thread was open to the general public the vast, vast majority would laugh at some of the opinions on here.
I'm not saying I'm right and you're entitled to your opinion, but seriously I cannot see why anyone would think Foster is not as good as what we have.

Beyond that Foster isn't a realistic target. Tottenham and Aston Villa are after him and he's rated 10 million.

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 10:51:46 PM »
Overrated? With respect I think that's absolutely ridiculous.

Foster is one of the best keepers in the league, the statistics even show he's made more saves than any other keeper in the league. I'm sorry but we've had less on target shots against us and conceded more goals than Birmingham so what does that tell you?  Blues' defense has been shaky for the majority of the season and he's been utterly fantastic.

We don't have a chance at Foster because he's a 10 million rate keeper, what we have are 2 million rated keepers. Foster has probably had the best season out of any this season, he won them the League Cup and kept them in games against Chelsea, Stoke, Aston Villa, Fulham, Blackburn, Tottenham and probably more which have slipped my mind. Birmingham City would've been on about 15 less points or more if they had Carson in goal instead of Foster FACT.

Why do all the people who defend Carson slate other keepers?
If this thread was open to the general public the vast, vast majority would laugh at some of the opinions on here.
I'm not saying I'm right and you're entitled to your opinion, but seriously I cannot see why anyone would think Foster is not as good as what we have.

Beyond that Foster isn't a realistic target. Tottenham and Aston Villa are after him and he's rated 10 million.

Don't worry no disrespect taken, this is a forum after all and debate comes from difference of opinion :) I can see why you think he is a good goalkeeper, plenty of people do in fairness, I just think he is overrated, doesn't mean that I think he his bad per say, just that I don't think that he is as good as is made out.

There has obviously been times where he has made good saves, the carling cup final and their win against chelsea being prime examples, but I can remember plenty of times when he has made really big mistakes for blues and united such as against wolves the other week and I just don't think he is that good. I wouldn't feel anymore confident having Foster in goal then either of our other keepers to be honest as I think the flaws in their games would pose exactly the same problems, even though Foster may be a slightly better shot stopper.

You say Blues would be 15 points worse off if Carson had been playing instead of Foster but that can't really be proven as it is impossible to say whether Carson, Myhill or indeed any other goalkeeper could make the saves he has made in the games you mention. There has also been times our goal keepers have made very good saves in games which have won us points and Foster may not have made those saves.

Also in reply to your point that those who defend Carson feel the need to critise other goal keepers all the time, I happen to think there are plenty of goalkeepers around who are better than Carson, and that Carson has many flaws in his game but I happen to think he is on a similar level to Foster in terms of ability but Foster always seems rated as the better goalkeeper, as is Rob Green who is another goalkeeper I believe to be of a similar ability but obviously that is a discussion for another thread, this is about Ben Foster.

Ogwani

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2011, 10:53:24 PM »
Well that's noble of you lol, I've said all I need to say. Foster's out of our league IMO. It just stuns me some people on here wouldn't take him, but that's their opinion. I personally would be thrilled if we signed Foster, but it's not happening.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2011, 11:20:34 PM »
Well that's noble of you lol, I've said all I need to say. Foster's out of our league IMO. It just stuns me some people on here wouldn't take him, but that's their opinion. I personally would be thrilled if we signed Foster, but it's not happening.

I feel the same mate, rate the chap very highly, and we would be very lucky if we managed to sign him but as you said I dont theink we have much chance

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »
1/5 to sign for us now, does someone know something we don't?

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2011, 09:51:10 PM »

Already been mentioned, been that odds for the last few days.

Who knows?  ;D

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2011, 10:58:10 PM »
I really doubt we'd even look at signing him tbh, his fee alone would be the major stumbling block. Birmingham will want more than what they paid for him and that alone will surely go past our asking price.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2011, 11:17:51 PM »
Maybe they do, maybe they don´t...such is life! :D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2011, 06:42:04 AM »
Maybe they do, maybe they don´t...such is life! :D
;D He must follow McLeish to Villa.....they don't have a keeper???

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2011, 07:43:43 AM »
;D He must follow McLeish to Villa.....they don't have a keeper???
I'd have guessed Villa were the most likely club for him to go to but they look odds on to get Given.