Author Topic: Do you trust RH when it comes to transfers?  (Read 14606 times)

Axel Foley

Re: Do you trust RH when it comes to transfers?
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 09:09:12 PM »
His transfer record at Fulham is completely irrelevant in my opinion. Do you think Fulham lost money whilst Roy Hodgson was there?

Whilst you can single out signings and say that players X,Y and Z didn't do well for the club... did the club themselves do well?

Season 1: Battled brilliantly to stave of relegation on the final day.

Season 2: Worked wonders, took Fulham to 7th in the table.

Season 3: Worked his wonders in Europe taking Fulham to the final, and kept Fulham in a mid table position in the league (12th).

Let's not forget who put our current squad together... Di Matteo and what good did he do with them? In came Hodgson and he got the best out of them. It's all well and good having talented individuals but what good are they if your manager can't get the best out of them?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 09:22:23 PM »
Call me stupid but I don't like the attitude of some which don't trust Roy Hodgson. In my opinion, Roy Hodgson is just what this football club needs. A steady old head who can push us to the next level as well as keeping us realistic. This man has 36 years of managerial experience, it's a man who lives and breathes football, it's a man of superior football knowledge which leaves some amazed. I think his football knowledge on players we should sign has alot more intelligence than our views. More so because Roy has actually saw them play more than any of us.

I don't want to sound arrogant, but for me, it shows some disrespect to Roy Hodgson. Some disrespect to a man who has turned around our season from the bad and put us on a track which saw us gain our highest league finish in god knows how long.

That's my view, you can question some of his signings but every manager will have their bad ones, Alex Ferguson, one of the greatest managers in the game has made some mistakes when it comes to player recruitment. Let's trust Roy and make the most of what is a very knowledgeable coach who we shouldn't take for granted.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 09:35:31 PM »
Not sure why anyone would question Hodgson in particular with regards to transfers considering it is pretty much a team effort at this club with a technical director and scouting system. There needs to be some give and take from everyone involved but we can't hold one man responsible for any signings whether they turn out good or bad.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 10:03:33 PM »
Liam...if you´re dishing out capital letters to mere humans, at least consider applying one to the supposed creator of all and sundry. It could be the difference of you spending your afterlife in Heaven or Hell...or an eternity with a vile season ticket. ;)
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »
Liam...if you´re dishing out capital letters to mere humans, at least consider applying one to the supposed creator of all and sundry. It could be the difference of you spending your afterlife in Heaven or Hell...or an eternity with a vile season ticket. ;)

You have completely baffled me!  ;D

charliewestbrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 10:21:52 PM »
Yet again a stupid thread at Fulham he made some very good signings with the likes of Hangeland, Zamora and Dempsey just to name a few, granted he made a few mistakes with signings and maybe paid over the odds for a few but who doesn't? People seem to forget some of the rubbish that Ferguson has brought down the years with the likes of Anderson who cost 18m and Kelberson who cost 6.5!

In Roy we trust.

Dempsey was a signing made by Chris Coleman.

Nobody on here who is questioing Roy Hodgson's transfer record is disputing his ability as a football manager Liambaggie.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:23:41 PM by charliewestbrom »

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 10:35:24 PM »
You have completely baffled me!  ;D
"..highest finish in god knows how long...". Giving the Big Guy a capital `G´ could've saved your soul...though I doubt it now. 8)
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 10:38:29 PM »
"..highest finish in god knows how long...". Giving the Big Guy a capital `G´ could've saved your soul...though I doubt it now. 8)

I'm with you now  ;) didn't stand out as much as your joke in the Shay Given thread last night!  ;D

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 10:44:19 PM »
Nobody on here who is questioing Roy Hodgson's transfer record is disputing his ability as a football manager Liambaggie.

I know, probably a tad harsh or quick out the blocks from my point of view. I just feel it lacks a little when fans don't support their managers in the transfer markets. Afterall, ours in combind with numerous scouts etc.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:07:33 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

charliewestbrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 10:54:19 PM »
I know, probably a tad harsh or quick out the blokes from my point of view. I just feel it lacks a little when fans don't support their managers in the transfer markets. Afterall, ours in combind with numerous scouts etc.

Well, we're in between seasons, this is a forum for discussion and I think there is some substance behind this argument so I think this is a really valid discussion.

But the bits of business we've done so far (Jones and McAuley), the confirmed targets (Vaughan and Gera) and the club looking to sign a new goalkeeper (where I don't think Roy will go wrong when picking his preferred target) I don't think we have anything to particarly worry about this summer.  It's just an interesting debate though.

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2011, 06:38:02 AM »
I'm very surprised at the tone of some of the replies.

I prefaced my question with an acknowledgement that Roy is a brilliant coach. The only aspect of his prowess I questioned was his transfer dealings.

Yet most posters seemed to be acting like I asked "shall we sack Roy?" and jumped down my throat. Perhaps some of you are not very well educated and have difficulty actually understanding the meaning of what you read.

The fact that he got the best out of the payers he inherited does not mean he is a shrewd operator in the transfer market. If you want an example of a brilliant coach but a dodgy valuer of players just like at the late great Brian Clough.

Roy had a lot of Harrods money to spend at Fulham...I personally am not convinced he spent it that well...which is why I hope DA and JP have a controlling say in who we buy and sell.

Axel Foley

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 07:37:32 AM »
Well perhaps take on board what some of us have said...

Did his (In your opinion) poor transfer dealings at Fulham hinder his ability to further the club?

The answer to that would be no. So it's hard to make a case, collectively, that he didn't perform well in the transfer market.

Would you accept a similar success in the transfer market that he had at Fulham if it resulted in us finishing 7th in the League and reaching a Europa League Final the year year after?

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2011, 07:42:27 AM »
Mate, like everyone else here - a europa league final would be one of the happiest days of my life

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2011, 12:31:44 PM »
in Roy we trust and he has more aura than we have had in any manager for a long time
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2011, 03:00:05 PM »
Roy is doing a grand job and yes I trust him.  Not only will he do a great job in the transfer market but also he will get the best out of what we have.  Did well getting the best out of Meite (for a while at least), got the best out of Carson and a number of others.  In short we are blessed and we need to remember that.  Could so easily have been us doing the Blues/Hammers drop if we had not made that mentally very painful switch.  RDM was and is a good manager, but hard fact is not quite good enough.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2011, 04:27:28 PM »
how can i not trust him? he hasnt had an oppotunity yet!
regardless who the manager is there will always be duff signings

di matteo: barnes ruben reid mattock
mowbray: martis valero pele
robson: kosak (loan) ellington hartson

etc etc

hes the manager its our team i dont get the question really
O Albion we love you

albionproud70

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2011, 06:03:30 PM »
Time will tell but for me he is a master tatician who can read the ebb and flow of a game.
And can influence a game with his calm demeanour.
The first manager Albion have had at this level who has experience guile and confidence in his own ability.
With all the drama going on at Bloose and Seal park its a refreshing change that as Albion fans we have nothing much to moan about in relation to the snot gobblers and Seal pups..

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2011, 01:32:21 PM »
I am happy that we have a very competent scouting network and a systematic approach to player recruitment which is not dependent on the head coach coming up with all the answers. Over the course of a career I guess if a manager gets 70% of their purchases right then they are either very lucky or very smart.

The decisions that a manager makes are also constrained by the circumstances that they find themselves in. The   signing Ronaldo and Rooney would go down as successes on Ferguson's CV but the truth is it took no skill in identifying their talent most managers could have done that, however only a handful would have been managing clubs who could afford the fee and be attractive propositions to the player.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Rich99

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »
I'm glad wappingbaggie brought this up. His transfer record and Fulham was abysmall. It's why I was a little bit offeneded when Hodgson said that this club couldn't keep looking to buy golden nuggets for cheap prices. If you have a scouting department and football director who knows what makes a good footballer then that is very effective and actually very low risk as opposed to the whims of one man.

Players signed by RH who had little or no impact at Fulham, all of whom were Roy Hodgson's personal choices:

Jari Litmanen
Eddie Johnson
Leon Andreasen
Toni Kallio
Paul Stalteri
Andranik Teymourian
Julian Gray
Fredrik Stoor
Bjørn Helge Riise
Kagisho Dikgacoi
David Elm

I've also excluded Jonathan Greening and Pascal Zuberbühler from this list and I think the sucess of John Paintsil and Erik Nevland is debatble too. It's worth mentioning that Roy Hodgson wanted to sell Zamora after one season but the player turned down the only club who made an offer Hull.

I suppose one could include £12 million for Andy Johnson too: 7, 0, and 3 Premiership goals during his three years there.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:51:46 PM by Rich99 »

Rich99

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2011, 01:43:47 PM »
Anyway, yes at the moment I fully trust him after what he's done for us in such a short time.  I find it hard to question any of his decisions over the summer given what he's achieved.  I can't see how we can't give him our full backing right now!!

It's a little too early to be sharpening the knives just yet ;D.  Still, some of his past signings do raise an eyebrow or two and if he does bring in a load of turkeys; I'm sure he'll get questioned just like anyone else.  I wasn't one of these folk saying RDM was beyond question a week before he was sacked. ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:46:12 PM by Rich99 »

Rich99

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2011, 01:48:32 PM »
Well perhaps take on board what some of us have said...

Did his (In your opinion) poor transfer dealings at Fulham hinder his ability to further the club?

The answer to that would be no. So it's hard to make a case, collectively, that he didn't perform well in the transfer market.

Would you accept a similar success in the transfer market that he had at Fulham if it resulted in us finishing 7th in the League and reaching a Europa League Final the year year after?

He won't have the money he had at Fulham here, we haven't got Al-Fayed bankrolling the club.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2011, 03:13:34 PM »
He won't have the money he had at Fulham here, we haven't got Al-Fayed bankrolling the club.

Al-Fayed backed and sacked a series of managers and their recruitment always seemed a little bit haphazard and as such you probably cannot glean too much from what Roy did at Fulham. The circumstances under which he is operating here are completely different firstly the resources are not as plentiful and our transfer business is much more methodical. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Rich99

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2011, 03:16:59 PM »
Al-Fayed backed and sacked a series of managers and their recruitment always seemed a little bit haphazard and as such you probably cannot glean too much from what Roy did at Fulham. The circumstances under which he is operating here are completely different firstly the resources are not as plentiful and our transfer business is much more methodical.

Yes, that's pretty much the point I was making in a round about way, we are in agreement.

We have limited resources compared with Fulham, transfer mistakes will hurt us much harder.

Anyway, I think the proof will be in the pudding, we'll all have to wait and see.

As I said, with what Roy did with us last year I don't think there's any room for questioning him right now in my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 03:19:47 PM by Rich99 »

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2011, 07:46:18 PM »
The question isn't valid.

Our Head coach doesn't decide blindly, on his own who we go for. We use the Lyon system and have a complex system in place and lets be honest, it's working great guns at the moment.

RH isn't in charge of bringing in players. I'm sure he has an equal say, but his voice is 1 of at least 3 that make the decisions.

RH tells DA or JP he thinks we need a young LB and DA comes back with 4 or 5 options and it goes from there.

No need to worry at all on this count. Everyone has a replacement waiting in the wings.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Rich99

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2011, 07:55:37 PM »
From the reports I've read, Roy has the final say on transfers, that was one of the conditions of him coming here.

Still, as said, I guess his choice is always going to be limited by DA selections etc...

Still, having said that, you never know... I guess it's not a perfect science.. didn't Mowbray override the system at times? Roy's a far bigger fish...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:00:18 PM by Rich99 »