Author Topic: 21 Jan 2019 Bolton Wand 0 Albion 2  (Read 38743 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #175 on: January 21, 2019, 10:15:30 PM »
I’m not sure if Harper is a box to box midfielder yet, at least not in the Robbie Koren style mould anyway.

Seems more of a classy style ball retention sort, but he will need to develop his game a bit more both defensively and going forward. A little too often he found himself the wrong side of the attacking midfielder, and the man of the match award was maybe a bit generous.

Gayle and Hegazi, along with Johnstone for me.
Boing Boing

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2019, 10:15:43 PM »
Awful performance but take the 3 points, thought Holgate & Harper were the pick of the bunch. Such a shame Barnes has gone back to Leicester had we kept him I think we’d have gone on to win the division as we look much more balanced with a decent rb now. I just hope Dave does the right thing & drops HRK when Phillips is fit again.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2019, 10:16:28 PM »
Not pretty at all but those are the wins that get you promoted. If we start keeping clean sheets more regularly then we'll be right up there. An alternative to HRK is a must and if Brunts injury is bad then we may need another midfielder.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #178 on: January 21, 2019, 10:17:10 PM »
short on quality from both teams but 3 points bagged. Hegazi my Motm. must say I fail to see how anyone could offer less than HRK, with 3 upfront one of them has to make themselves available out wide to pull defenders out of position, surely this should have been the message Moore should've been getting across during the game.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #179 on: January 21, 2019, 10:19:55 PM »
Got the job done and the clean sheet will do the world of good for the defence and keepers confidence.

These games in the championship are tough, they battled for every last ball as they knew the only way to beat us would be to work harder, luckily our players did not shy away from that.

Though Hegazi was MOTM, as for HRK we really need to sign a replacement, toilet performance from him today.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2019, 10:20:19 PM »
As said above, replacing Barnes is a must (losing Phillips at the same time isn't great - hopefully he'll be ready for 'Boro).
Harper was decent, no better than that but the more game time the more he'll grow into it. Field looked more relaxed, did pretty well and showed that he can get forward (as he's shown before).
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2019, 10:22:18 PM »
Obviously we won’t win automatic promotion playing like that, but tonight it was just about enough against opposition that was frankly League One standard.

As others have said the midfield was pedestrian and uncreative, and that mix of players won’t be sufficient to gain the points we need.

On the plus side Holgate looked an asset at right back but Hegazi was excellent - certainly man of the match for me.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2019, 10:24:03 PM »
Job done. 3 points with clean sheet.
It's a proud day for our academy. Harper got the MOTM and Field scored.
They can do a good job when called upon.

But the front were lack of ideas and creativity.
Philips should play at right wing if he is ready for Boro.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:28:27 PM by koren »
The PRIDE of midlands

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2019, 10:32:48 PM »
Take the three points and clean sheet happily enough but didn't think we played that well . The front three of strikers don't blend well without a Barnes type and missing Phillips behind them , plenty of effort but none played really well .
This result cannot paper over the fact we need some new faces especially with Brunt and maybe Harper injured too .
Subs , yet again Moore was slow on these . At 1-0 HRK should have gone for Sako or Leko , at 2-0 we should be wrapping Gayle in cotton wool . Big supporter of Darren but his subs baffle me.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Tatnam baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2019, 10:38:33 PM »
Good 3 points, but to many players underperforming. How’s Robson Kanu even picking up his wages. Absolutely waste of space!

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2019, 10:43:07 PM »
Take the three points and clean sheet happily enough but didn't think we played that well . The front three of strikers don't blend well without a Barnes type and missing Phillips behind them , plenty of effort but none played really well .
This result cannot paper over the fact we need some new faces especially with Brunt and maybe Harper injured too .
Subs , yet again Moore was slow on these . At 1-0 HRK should have gone for Sako or Leko , at 2-0 we should be wrapping Gayle in cotton wool . Big supporter of Darren but his subs baffle me.
Agree Dexy at 2-0 get Gayle off for goodness sake!
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #186 on: January 21, 2019, 10:44:32 PM »
Vital win so well done boys. Not the best performance but with 4 midfielders missing and the loss of Barnes I consider it a good night’s work. HRK awful, he has to be left out of next league game. Thought JRod did okay to be fair. I like the look of Harper but not so much Field despite his well taken goal. The return of Phillips is a must.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #187 on: January 21, 2019, 10:47:13 PM »
Poor game, good win. I've expressed my concerns before about our creativity playing this 433 style against teams where the onus is on us to win the game and today did nothing to dismiss those concerns. However without Phillips, Barnes and I'd suggest even Morrison it is maybe understandable.

We need to sign a central midfielder who can carry the ball and be a goal threat and ditto, a forward player with the same attributes. Not as impressive as against Norwich but we will look back on the signing of Holgate as very important come the end of the season I think if he is able to stay fit.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #188 on: January 21, 2019, 10:50:20 PM »
I thought that performance was shocking in all honesty. No tempo, no movement, sloppy passing...it was dreadful to watch. Sometimes I wonder how we’ve scored so many goals as we barely created a chance tonight.

Still, pleased with the win. Desperately need Phillips and Livermore back in the team and can’t help feel we lack width with the 3 CF shoe horned in up front. Gayle wasted out wide as well. Improvement all over the pitch required in the coming weeks.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #189 on: January 21, 2019, 10:57:07 PM »

I agree with the subs. Today it didn't matter but it cost us the win against Norwich. I remember Brunt was exhausted and should have gone off around 70 minutes; but he stayed on and could barely run, which gained Norwich a foothold in the middle - and then they eventually scored.
Everything seems at least 15 minutes too late with his subs, hopefully it will improve but it is a bit odd at times.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #190 on: January 21, 2019, 10:58:19 PM »
Based on that, we can't afford to be without Phiilips and Barnes. You wouldn't think we were top scorers looking at the team this evening. We are where we are in the league due to the goals in the team, but on tonight's performance we are going to struggle to score against the better teams.  I hope we are trying hard to find a replacement for Barnes, but it's not going to be easy. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2019, 11:01:25 PM »
First game after the training camp in Dubai - I couldn't work out if we looked over trained and leggy or under-cooked from an 8 day lay-off - either way we were not bristling with energy tonight.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #192 on: January 21, 2019, 11:18:24 PM »
Easy win against an awful side.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2019, 11:32:06 PM »
It was a very strange game lacking entirely in intensity. We lost control of midfield when Brunt went off, and it took a moment of brilliance from Rodriguez and Gayle to get us the vital 2nd goal, good run and poke from Field who had struggled to that point. Thought both fullbacks struggled in comparison to the Norwich game, but we ground out the win nonetheless. The goalkeeper's distribution was appalling aside from one huge kick to Gayle in the first half, he did make 3 decent 'camera' saves though.

Hegazi my man of the match, Kanu the wooden spoon.

Onwards to the seaside!!
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #194 on: January 21, 2019, 11:41:35 PM »
We lost control of midfield when Brunt went off

I've belly laughed out out loud reading that. Professional job tonight. A lot of the posts criticising the performance are harsh. Awful conditions and Bolton gave it everything to frustrate us. Can't expect a sweeping flowing game given we've not won in our last three, have injuries and stubborn opponent. Pleased for Sam Johnson to keep a clean sheet. Must win game given we've got a break and the FA cup next. Also good practise for our next two league games. Both Boro & Stoke are likely to be physical and defensive. Not often this season we've got the job done without any fuss, even if Bolton didn't offer much. They played like we used to away from home in the premiership against the bigger clubs, grafted hard, much harder game for example than away at Ipswich or Rotherham.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #195 on: January 22, 2019, 12:09:37 AM »
3 points clean sheet. 90 minutes for Harper 60 for field who got a goal. Good night for the academy. Hopefully after his run in the team Harper sees he has a future and signs a new deal.

We looked pretty impotent without Barnes and Phillips and definitely didn't look like the league's top scorer's. 2 real chances and 2 goals.

I think hegazi and Holgate were our best players tonight. Thought all 3 up top we're poor. Think if Phillips is up top we're a different animal.

Time to drop HRK and go 2 up top with hoolahan in behind based on the injuries we have.
O Albion we love you

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #196 on: January 22, 2019, 12:41:09 AM »
Don't know what they were doing in Dubai, sunning themselves by pool I'd wager. Can anyone tell me what Moore sees in HRK? And why is he so slow to use his bench? Last night we were awful and coaching staff need to sort out the lack of control we have in midfield, the performance reminded me of Pulisball with long balls from back line to forwards

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2019, 02:34:12 AM »
Great result, awful performance. As usual, we were poor but we had the better players. The balance of the front 3 is wrong, mainly because of HRK but also because Gayle isn't playing through the middle off the shoulder of the last man.

Said it before the game, Moore needed to use his subs when we tired... which he didn't yet again. As a result HRK was hung out to dry. Silver lining of Brunt's injury was that we had the legs in midfield late on, Brunt would never have got into that position Field scored from and we'd have invited more pressure on the defence. There's no way Field was coming on otherwise, first sub would have been Sako for HRK after 85 mins.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #198 on: January 22, 2019, 06:16:36 AM »
I've belly laughed out out loud reading that. Professional job tonight. A lot of the posts criticising the performance are harsh. Awful conditions and Bolton gave it everything to frustrate us. Can't expect a sweeping flowing game given we've not won in our last three, have injuries and stubborn opponent. Pleased for Sam Johnson to keep a clean sheet. Must win game given we've got a break and the FA cup next. Also good practise for our next two league games. Both Boro & Stoke are likely to be physical and defensive. Not often this season we've got the job done without any fuss, even if Bolton didn't offer much. They played like we used to away from home in the premiership against the bigger clubs, grafted hard, much harder game for example than away at Ipswich or Rotherham.

Sam Johnstone made some top saves at important  moments.
Baggie in Southampton

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #199 on: January 22, 2019, 06:19:49 AM »
It was a very strange game lacking entirely in intensity. We lost control of midfield when Brunt went off, and it took a moment of brilliance from Rodriguez and Gayle to get us the vital 2nd goal, good run and poke from Field who had struggled to that point. Thought both fullbacks struggled in comparison to the Norwich game, but we ground out the win nonetheless. The goalkeeper's distribution was appalling aside from one huge kick to Gayle in the first half, he did make 3 decent 'camera' saves though.

Hegazi my man of the match, Kanu the wooden spoon.

Onwards to the seaside!!

Can not agree with the camera saves comment, at least one of those Foster would have done his statue thing as it flew into the net.

Baggie in Southampton