Author Topic: Now Hodgson is going 442.....  (Read 10253 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Now Hodgson is going 442.....
« on: February 18, 2011, 04:57:17 PM »
.....what would you do with out attack.

Im not looking for a thread of people posting their first choice first elevens but id like to know maybe which strikers you would like to see used or who would get dropped from midfield.
Boing Boing

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

Re: Now Hodgson is going 442.....
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 05:07:14 PM »
I honestly would call Chris Woods back as an option now it seems we have changed to 4-4-2

Fortune should be the first name on the teamsheet to play alongside one of either Vela or Odemwingie

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 05:12:32 PM »
It's Fortune with one of either Odemwingie or Vela, can't see Vela and Odemwingie both playing the same role. I think the midfield picks itself; Brunt, Mulumbu, Dorrans and Jerome Thomas.

Is there an option to call Chris Wood back? That probably could of made it more sillier in letting Roman Bednar go.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 05:32:17 PM »
Fortune and Odemwingie need to be given a run IMO. Fortune's done pretty well the last two games and deserves to keep the shirt. His touch isn't the best but he gives us a physical presence up front, allied with decent pace and good hold up play.

Odemwingie was poor against West Ham but with 9 goals to his name deserves to start at present. Vela could arguably be deployed on the wing in a 442 although there are question marks as to how much defensive cover he'd provide.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 05:46:44 PM »
In all fairness Odemwingie nine goals or not needs a good game Sunday because Vela I feel would excel alongside someone like Fortune.

I was disapointed with Peter against West Ham in his overall performance I felt he was one of the main culprits that hid during that second half

elminius

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 07:11:48 PM »
I honestly would call Chris Woods back as an option now it seems we have changed to 4-4-2

Fortune should be the first name on the teamsheet to play alongside one of either Vela or Odemwingie

Chris Wood is on a non-recall youth loan for the season and by all accounts doing well

MattIsABaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 07:20:49 PM »
Fortune + Vela

burgib

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 07:40:57 PM »
Chris Wood is on a non-recall youth loan for the season and by all accounts doing well

.....but Ishmael Miller could be recalled:
Championship high-fliers Queen's Park Rangers are on the verge of finding themselves an Ishmael Miller down, if reports that Roy Hodgson wants to recall the West Brom loanee to The Hawthorns are true. The striker signed for QPR on a three-month loan deal in January, but inked a contract containing a clause that says the Baggies can take him back after 28 days should the need arise. (Fed 14th)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/14/football-transfer-rumours

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 08:09:28 PM »
Miller is suited to a front pairing but i dont think he is ready at the minute,Pete and Fortune for me at the minute.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Perrybarrbaggy

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 08:27:48 PM »
a fit and on form milller and odemwingie would cause many problems

The Wolves centre backs are pretty slow, so it really depends on how we play, if we're going to be whipping crosses in then fortune has to play,and i'd probably play odemwingie, if not then vela and odemwingie up front .. we bought vela in as a striker, i would like to see him given more time closer to the goal

Rpy hodsgon instilled confidence in zamora and turned him into quality last season .. lets hope he can do it with fortune!

Sussex-Baggie

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 10:12:35 AM »
Has Roy Hodgson actually confirmed that we are going to be playing 4-4-2 now?

If he has, I would look to play Marc-Antoine Fortune up front with either Peter Odemwingie or Carlos Vela. During the last two home games, Fortune has been our most consistent attacking threat and really seems keen to make up for lost time after spending the last few months on the bench.

I also think that Odemwingie and Vela are too similar in terms of their strengths and weaknesses to both play up front in a conventional 4-4-2 formation, although knowing that we may well have at least one of them on the bench would certainly fill me with a bit more confidence if we need a goal late on between now and the end of the season.

Mike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 10:53:57 AM »
Could be great news for Cox in the long run. 

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 11:00:31 AM »
Could be great news for Cox in the long run.
Spot on mate.Cox has the ability to make some special when we need him, give him more chances but no more midfielder please.
The PRIDE of midlands

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 01:46:55 PM »
Remember how Fortune and Pistol Pete ripped Blues to shreds in the second half. That would be my first choice every time. Playing Wood or Bednar invites hoof ball to a target man and our midfield would be wasted doing that.
With MAF and Pete, we would still be obliged to play our link-up play rather than long ball.
He's a lad from the Wrenna

baggieheart

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 01:50:36 PM »
Remember how Fortune and Pistol Pete ripped Blues to shreds in the second half. That would be my first choice every time. Playing Wood or Bednar invites hoof ball to a target man and our midfield would be wasted doing that.
With MAF and Pete, we would still be obliged to play our link-up play rather than long ball.

Sorry mate but it was Dorrans on for Fortune in that game that changed it, and putting Pete upfront.

Agree they are the best 2 though.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 02:43:53 PM »
Yes you're right, sorry about that but glad you agree that Pete and MAF are our best option.......especially if the midfield are given defensive duties by Roy.
He's a lad from the Wrenna

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 07:44:33 PM »
Fortune and Odemwingie has to be the front line at the moment, unfortunate on Vela as i believe he is a decent player, although Fortune has warranted a place lately and i feel odemwingie is a bigger goal threat on his day. Fortune and Vela may be given a go soon.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 07:56:20 PM »
You could argue I suppose tomorrow would be perfect for a Odemwingie/Vela partnership as Wolves are slow at the back

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
You have to question how exactly we saw fit to let Bednar go on a non recall loan, as with Wood, when we clearly wanted rid of RDM for some time. Where's the wisdom in that? Particularly letting Bednar go with RDM on the edge at that point.

History suggests Hodgson likes playing with a big striker up front, to act as a focal point for the team. Currently we have Fortune who fits anything like that bill, and maybe Miller (even if he's not really cut out for that role) Bednar and Wood may not have proved good enough, but it'd have at least been wise to have them as an option to look at. All for the sake of probably 100k loan fee.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 07:59:28 PM »
Bednar you would have to assume has caused alot of problems in the club aside from the incident a few years ago, hence the swiftness and suddeness of his departure after his return from Leicester

reis wbafc patel

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 10:47:07 PM »
4-4-2 is going to help a lot going forward because when we played 4-5-1 odemwingie drifted wide a bit too much and nobody came into fill the space. at least with 4-4-2 odemwingie can still drift wide and there can be somebody in the centre to aim for
ALBION TIL I DIE