Author Topic: Next 6 Games.  (Read 7500 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Next 6 Games.
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2024, 02:54:45 PM »
be good to be secure before Leicester away
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2024, 03:37:55 PM »
if we make the playoffs which is looking likely how man of you will be hiding behind the sofa during those two games to get us to Wembley. 18 points i make it from the games left. its going to be nervy. we can do Southampton over two games. Ipswich v WBA Final and all the armchair supporters should be able to get a ticket
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 03:40:14 PM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2024, 06:09:40 PM »
I always thought that if we were still in the play-offs by the international break we would be finish in the play-offs. Following the weekends results we will finish in 5th place with a minimum of 2 point gap between ourselves and 7th.

With 9 games left the chasing pack is down to Norwich, Hull and Coventry. I think Preston, Cardiff and even Middlesbrough have a slim chance of making the play-offs but they are going to finish 6th at best so they more of threat to Norwich.

The play-off's are a lottery a unique series of games and it doesn't really matter who we have to play
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2024, 07:57:01 AM »
if we make the playoffs which is looking likely how man of you will be hiding behind the sofa during those two games to get us to Wembley. 18 points i make it from the games left. its going to be nervy. we can do Southampton over two games. Ipswich v WBA Final and all the armchair supporters should be able to get a ticket

Not me, I'll be there....even if it means a midweek slog down to either Soton or Ipswich.

We haven't been able to get a single point from Soton in 2 games so far this season.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 11:17:23 AM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2024, 11:40:52 AM »
As Greavsie used to say, its a funny old game
Id prefer ipswich in playoffs but not really bothered on our day we can beat any of them

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2024, 12:40:35 PM »
Not me, I'll be there....even if it means a midweek slog down to either Soton or Ipswich.

We haven't been able to get a single point from Soton in 2 games so far this season.

Me too mate. That's a must in my view. If we get there I would prefer Ipswich. Will not be easy whoever we get.

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2024, 11:53:24 AM »
Does anyone know the potential play off leg dates? i need to know for work and try and get annual leave before someone else does.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2024, 12:06:18 PM »
Does anyone know the potential play off leg dates? i need to know for work and try and get annual leave before someone else does.

No chap. Had a look the other day. Think it's down to whatever Sky and ESPN decide on between themselves. The Final itself is currently scheduled for May 26th though with a KO time to be confirmed.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2024, 12:08:52 PM »
I've been checking online but can't find anything definite apart from the date for the Final (Sunday 26th May).
 I assume the first legs will be the weekend after the season finishes probably around the 11th or 12th and the second legs the week after probably around 15th?

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2024, 12:29:57 PM »
I hope the recent discussion isn't premature. Counting chickens springs to mind.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2024, 08:45:29 PM »
I think luck has been with us in several games now where the opposition has narrowly failed to score.  This was another one.  For that reason I don't think we are at all ready to go up with our present squad. 
I don't expect that SP is going to do a Notts Forest type splurge on players and neither should he .  For Forest that only just worked in their first season back and they are in FFP travails.   

It might be better to consolidate with a good Championship season winning a few more fans rather than getting a dire reputation and challenging for the lowest points total in the premiership.

(Stand by for a lot of posts about owner "ambition".)
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2024, 10:13:26 PM »
I said 12 from the first 6 and that's exactly what we've hit, albeit not the results i exactly predicted.

I think 13 from the last 7 as per my original post is still on although it's doubtful Leicester will be on the beach by our game now so let's call it 12!

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2024, 08:25:13 AM »
I think luck has been with us in several games now where the opposition has narrowly failed to score.  This was another one.  For that reason I don't think we are at all ready to go up with our present squad. 
I don't expect that SP is going to do a Notts Forest type splurge on players and neither should he .  For Forest that only just worked in their first season back and they are in FFP travails.   

It might be better to consolidate with a good Championship season winning a few more fans rather than getting a dire reputation and challenging for the lowest points total in the premiership.

(Stand by for a lot of posts about owner "ambition".)

No team is ever likely to go up with its present squad!

The Forest problem was that the team they went up with had 5 key loan players and about 7 players out of contract. They literally had I think 9 contracted players left, so they had to spend heavily to get to a squad of 25.  Where they were stupid is that they spent like kids at a sweet stall and ended up with 42 players!

The best chance is to go up, do a Luton and spend modestly, and with a good coach create a chance of staying up. 

Am very surprised that Burnley haven’t made a better fist of it. The odds are massively stacked against the promoted teams, but you have to give it a go, take the financial benefits, and be much better placed to go up and then stay up the next time around.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 12:34:55 PM by overseas baggie »

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2024, 08:33:15 PM »
Monday could be a crucial day for us. Leicester v Norwich and Leeds v Hull. If those results go our way we could be nearly there. Of course we need to win !

Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2024, 11:18:24 AM »
No team is ever likely to go up with its present squad!

The Forest problem was that the team they went up with had 5 key loan players and about 7 players out of contract. They literally had I think 9 contracted players left, so they had to spend heavily to get to a squad of 25.  Where they were stupid is that they spent like kids at a sweet stall and ended up with 42 players!

The best chance is to go up, do a Luton and spend modestly, and with a good coach create a chance of staying up. 

Am very surprised that Burnley haven’t made a better fist of it. The odds are massively stacked against the promoted teams, but you have to give it a go, take the financial benefits, and be much better placed to go up and then stay up the next time around.

Burnley are incredibly naive defensively. They are decent going forward, but have nothing in defence. Bit like us when Mogga was here.
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2024, 11:55:54 AM »
I agree with Overseas Baggies approach, you dont go up accepting your fate but like Luton, be sensible, give it your best shot and if you do go down by being sensible you have built foundations for the future and another promotion shot (like we used to do)

It shouldnt be like that but the Premier league has created that monster, most teams going up sole aim is to just stay up.

I think Corberan would be a huge asset over a lot of coaches IF we were to go up, Kompany has tried to be too idealistic, last year they were the best team so could out football teams, this year they are playing against teams who do what they do but have a lot better players yet Kompany wont seem to change.

I get the feeling if Southampton go up they would be the same as Burnley, Martin seems idealistic too, they would get some decent results but over a season i think that approach would cost them.

Farke's track record isnt great in the Premier league with Norwich, may be different at Leeds but i have a feeling he is a very good championship manager but not quite premier league (a footballing teams Neil Warnock!)

Hard to say with Maresca, Mckenna looks a top coach but i think Corberan would be our best hope, he is so meticulous and adapts his approach to whoever we are playing rather than just one way of playing.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2024, 12:06:24 PM »
We don't get to choose if and when we get promoted. Whatever the circumstances we just to need to make the best of it as a club in terms of taking the money using it wisely but largely with an on eye on the future. There are no absolute givens the team that most of us thought would crash and burn this year was Luton but they are the only promoted team making a fist of things although without the FFP points deductions the relegation race would be largely over by now.

Whenever we do get promoted the players we are promoted with are going to form part of the squad for the following season that is almost inevitable. We aren't going to "do a Forest" it hasn't done them a whole lot of good and that badly thought through trolley dash is going to hurt them for years to come particularly if they are relegated.

Be in no doubt that first season back will be an epic struggle no matter when it happens.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2024, 07:47:04 PM »
Can we get back to discussing the next 6 games lads.