Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556669 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #8875 on: August 30, 2016, 08:19:05 AM »
IMO the way Pulis sees things is pretty binary, "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Sort yourself out to be included in the solution." It took a while to get Saido to understand that, but now he does.

Pulis sees his job as preparing the team to win football matches, that's all. He's not a nanny or development coach, that role belongs to others.
In my working career, I've had autocratic & democratic bosses, the democratic bosses have been nicer to work for & I have been happy in my job, but the autocratic ones drove far more out of me, than I thought I was capable of.

Back to Saido, if he stays, I think we, the fans, should cut him some slack, but we won't  we'll hound him out, exactly the same as we'll hound Pulis out, because we want our club back.

Except, that in a few weeks time, it won't be an English club any more, it will be Chinese, & be influenced by Chinese culture.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8876 on: August 30, 2016, 08:23:39 AM »
IMO the way Pulis sees things is pretty binary, "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Sort yourself out to be included in the solution." It took a while to get Saido to understand that, but now he does.
What evidence is there that Berahino understands that?

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8877 on: August 30, 2016, 08:26:34 AM »
What evidence is there that Berahino understands that?

Pretty sure Pulis has said as much.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8878 on: August 30, 2016, 08:29:45 AM »
Pretty sure Pulis has said as much.
Pulis spent all of the second half of last season trying to make out that Berahino's attitude was improving, but it was never reflected in the latter's performances. Do you think Berahino has looked more up for it when playing this season so far than he did last?

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8879 on: August 30, 2016, 08:35:24 AM »
Pulis spent all of the second half of last season trying to make out that Berahino's attitude was improving, but it was never reflected in the latter's performances. Do you think Berahino has looked more up for it when playing this season so far than he did last?

I think his confidence is shot, he's trying too hard. Not sure if you're a twitter user Worcs, but I follow Saido on twitter. All this talk about him being fat is ********, he's been in the gym bulking up, & he spends hours with a personal coach trying to tone his skills. We seriously need to cut him some slack, then we'll see the real Saido. If we hound him out, like we seem to be doing at the moment, he'll come back to haunt us, you mark my words.

matt_wba912

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8880 on: August 30, 2016, 08:44:45 AM »
Then Mozza himself made a similar mistake a few games later, doh.

But nobody gave him a legendary punch. Slack.  :-[

It also gets forgotten that after Saido lost the ball at one end their team walked up the length of the pitch through a number of other players including breezing past a certain J. Morrison who made one of the weakest attempts at at a tackle I've seen before getting in the position to score.

Saido should have kept the ball but others were equally, if not more to blame for conceding that goal

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8881 on: August 30, 2016, 08:45:07 AM »
I think his confidence is shot, he's trying too hard. Not sure if you're a twitter user Worcs, but I follow Saido on twitter. All this talk about him being fat is ********, he's been in the gym bulking up, & he spends hours with a personal coach trying to tone his skills. We seriously need to cut him some slack, then we'll see the real Saido. If we hound him out, like we seem to be doing at the moment, he'll come back to haunt us, you mark my words.
I don't use Twitter. I prefer to judge him based on what he does on the pitch, rather than what he posts on Twitter. I didn't notice him trying hard, or much at all, in the Middlesbrough game. Things have soured for him here, partly of his own making, so he needs to move on for his own good and ours.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8882 on: August 30, 2016, 08:45:51 AM »
Its a situation were the club have done nearly as much damage in the relationship as Saido has.

I dont for one second believe he tried to engineer the move away without some postive sounds from the club, how many times have we seen before when we have moved the goalposts, and also look at the Odemwingie saga.

Now I agree Saido hasnt helped the situation at times with his social media posts etc, but you cant deny hes making all the right sounds now, saying hes looking forward to playing with Chadli etc etc.

If he is to stay with us for the remainder of the season, I think hes done a good job by going on holiday for a few days and taking himself away from all the drama of 'is he isnt he' moving.

My only concern with this all now is, hes burnt his bridges with a large majority of fans and some have had enough and just want him out (pretty similar to TP but not as drastic).

Saido could score a hattrick against Chelsea and some fans will stay look at the negatives.

If he is to stay with us, we need to use him, we need to get his mindset right, and main one for me we need to use him in his best position.

As someone has said previously, he seems to be trying to hard, and regardless of who the player is, if your getting booed by your own supporters (which I dont agree with) surely that has a massive knock on effect to your perfomance.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8883 on: August 30, 2016, 08:47:57 AM »

Judging on what I've seen so far he needs to sack the coach and replace him with one that knows what he's doing
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8884 on: August 30, 2016, 08:51:04 AM »
I agree, a combination of him trying too hard (whether to win our fans over, or earn a move, who knows) and the fact that he is playing in a position he doesn't really suit or understand, is knocking his confidence.

That's just my opinion though and I can't blame people for thinking he is just acting up like a spoiled brat. Because of his history, he has brought it on himself, unfortunately.

Personally I think it's better for all parties that he moves on but it is a real shame. I would have loved him, as a home grown talent, to have set the world alight.  :(

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8885 on: August 30, 2016, 08:52:12 AM »
Judging on what I've seen so far he needs to sack the coach and replace him with one that knows what he's doing

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)Except he's one that all the top pro's use. You just can't coach confidence.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8886 on: August 30, 2016, 08:54:40 AM »
My only concern with this all now is, hes burnt his bridges with a large majority of fans and some have had enough and just want him out (pretty similar to TP but not as drastic).
As fans at games aren't audibly booing Pulis, I'd suggest the situation with Berahino is more drastic. Based on what Berahino's done in the past 18 months, all I can see happening if he stays is that he'll run the clock down to when his contract runs out, using minimal effort, and then ride off into the sunset.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8887 on: August 30, 2016, 09:09:57 AM »
As fans at games aren't audibly booing Pulis, I'd suggest the situation with Berahino is more drastic. Based on what Berahino's done in the past 18 months, all I can see happening if he stays is that he'll run the clock down to when his contract runs out, using minimal effort, and then ride off into the sunset.
People aren't booing Pulis because, in the main, they respect what he's trying to do, even if they loathe his playing style, myself included.
That's why all this reference to "Pulis-haters" does my head in. I don't think anyone hates him per se, they just hate his approach. No-one really argues it gets results.

Saido on the other hand has disrespected the club and the fans in the past and so has lost our respect.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8888 on: August 30, 2016, 09:21:19 AM »

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)Except he's one that all the top pro's use. You just can't coach confidence.

Playing him in his natural position would be a great start to rebuilding his confidence. He's just not a number 10.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8889 on: August 30, 2016, 09:25:50 AM »
Playing him in his natural position would be a great start to rebuilding his confidence. He's just not a number 10.

Not so sure confidence is the issue with him, psychologically I just don't think he wants to be here so the motivation to play and do well just isn't really there. He's played well in that slightly deeper role and out wide prior to his meltdown last summer so it isn't all down to the position he's playing although as an out and out striker I admit it certainly won't help him.

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8890 on: August 30, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »
Agree with that. Saido has bought a lot on his self but since Pulis has been in charge his lost that spark which being played out of position is to blame.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8891 on: August 30, 2016, 09:46:52 AM »
Agree with that. Saido has bought a lot on his self but since Pulis has been in charge his lost that spark which being played out of position is to blame.

He's been played in that deeper position and out wide before and still had a spark, its not just a simple change in position that has seen him offer virtually nothing on the pitch.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8892 on: August 30, 2016, 09:51:11 AM »

No he isn't.
He's a proper Number 2  :o
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8893 on: August 30, 2016, 09:51:32 AM »
He's been played in that deeper position and out wide before and still had a spark, its not just a simple change in position that has seen him offer virtually nothing on the pitch.
Don't totally disagree with your comment. But as a terrific finisher and the best finisher we have at the club, it must be very disheartening for him to be pushed out of his preferred role.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8894 on: August 30, 2016, 09:52:55 AM »
Don't totally disagree with your comment. But as a terrific finisher and the best finisher we have at the club, it must be very disheartening for him to be pushed out of his preferred role.

Yet he did well out of position before, I agree he's an out and out striker and that playing out of position doesn't help him but I don't think it is the main reason for his alarming drop in form.

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8895 on: August 30, 2016, 09:56:42 AM »
Yet he did well out of position before, I agree he's an out and out striker and that playing out of position doesn't help him but I don't think it is the main reason for his alarming drop in form.
If you look at my first post I did say that his bought a lot if this on his self with all the off field stuff. But playing out of position has added to it...so we agree then B_H Baggie  ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:58:49 AM by ian66 »

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8896 on: August 30, 2016, 09:59:30 AM »

We did the same with Odemwingie. Moved him to accommodate Long. I agree Saido is the best finisher we have so needs to be playing up top. I don't recall seeing too many games with him playing deeper or wide where I have thought he's looked that good.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8897 on: August 30, 2016, 10:55:43 AM »
The main reason for his drop in form is, shockingly enough, because he hasn't been arsed for 18 months.

How can people continue to support him? It's alarming how much loyalty people will show a lad who has shown us none, completely downed tools when he didn't get the move that was only in Tottenham's favour due to the way they tried to structure the payments.

Take Sunday in isolation, his attitude all day stunk, came out late at half time to do a half arsed warm up and only serve to disrupt the other subs warm ups then came on and managed to merely give the ball away time and time again. It doesn't matter what position he was playing on Sunday, or any other game this season thus far for that matter, he exhibited no basic skills of a professional footballer.

Get him gone for the love of God.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8898 on: August 30, 2016, 12:18:54 PM »
The main reason for his drop in form is, shockingly enough, because he hasn't been arsed for 18 months.

How can people continue to support him? It's alarming how much loyalty people will show a lad who has shown us none, completely downed tools when he didn't get the move that was only in Tottenham's favour due to the way they tried to structure the payments.

Take Sunday in isolation, his attitude all day stunk, came out late at half time to do a half arsed warm up and only serve to disrupt the other subs warm ups then came on and managed to merely give the ball away time and time again. It doesn't matter what position he was playing on Sunday, or any other game this season thus far for that matter, he exhibited no basic skills of a professional footballer.

Get him gone for the love of God.

If Saido's still an Albion player in36 hours time, I would say you're going to have a problem.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8899 on: August 30, 2016, 12:23:28 PM »
If Saido's still an Albion player in36 hours time, I would say you're going to have a problem.
It'll be Albion who have the bigger problem.....