Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556755 times)

Yamaka

• Junior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #2050 on: January 07, 2015, 09:50:50 PM »
I am quite sure envy does not come into it . Football professionals have been getting too much money for way too long . We now accept because basically there ain't nothing we can do about it . What we disagree with is the possible ingratitude that he seems to show. The spat with james Morrison , the hippy crack episode and now this drink driving case . On top of that why the sourpuss face . People can only comment on what they see . It's up to the lad himself to get his act together .
As explained by others public relations require a different skill set to that which is needed to put a ball in the onion bag. If I want a politician I look towards Westminster - there we can find people who are happy to sell us any piece of old flannel. I like people who are qualified human beings
I never could kwite get the hang of spelling.

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2051 on: January 07, 2015, 09:57:11 PM »
You may be correct . Indeed paying some one what we pay these players does not indicate they have wisdom to match their skills . We don't know the ins and outs of this situation , but one thing is clear throwing 15k a week at a 21 year old kid isn't wise . It's not the baggies or the lad who are to blame . Blame the obscene amount of money in football .

Yamaka

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2052 on: January 07, 2015, 10:04:37 PM »
You may be correct . Indeed paying some one what we pay these players does not indicate they have wisdom to match their skills . We don't know the ins and outs of this situation , but one thing is clear throwing 15k a week at a 21 year old kid isn't wise . It's not the baggies or the lad who are to blame . Blame the obscene amount of money in football .

Not just in football unfortunately but washing around the feet of many of those in power who are doing far less for us - but that is another story  ;) As you say, let us hope that some strategies are in place to help SB make sense of his situation.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:07:18 PM by Yamaka »

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2053 on: January 07, 2015, 11:13:37 PM »
So how would you behave? And whilst you're measuring the pros and cons spare a thought for those who might think differently. ..

My opinion was, the 80% posted about think the kid has great promise but at that money they would sell, thats how ive read the post What pros & cons do you mean

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2054 on: January 07, 2015, 11:25:05 PM »
What so if we get an offer of say 20mil... Let him go?
And then whos going to score the goals we NEED?
We have a £10 million pound striker who aint done hardly anything for us (caught injuries/lack of fitness etc so fair enough)... But were not going to get a natural goal scorer of berahino's age and potential for what we can afford!

Me personally i dont fancy paying another £349 for a season ticket to watch other teams score, i want to see US score... If that means our goal scorer is arrogant/ cocky/ argumentive.... I couldnt give a damn, we go there to see football... Not to rate their personalities or goal celebrations!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2055 on: January 08, 2015, 12:15:10 AM »
This is aimed at nobody in particular.
I think it would be a crying shame if Saido were to be sold.
Cracking talent. Young lad with the world at his feet.
Dread to think what I would have been like at his age and with his bank account.
And that's before you add in his childhood etc.
All of the best young man. Enjoy your football, don't be ruled by distractions and long may you remain an Albion player.
 8).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Yamaka

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2056 on: January 08, 2015, 12:42:53 AM »

My opinion was, the 80% posted about think the kid has great promise but at that money they would sell, thats how ive read the post What pros & cons do you mean

Sorry for any confusion :) I'm trying to make the point that being a team player is one thing but it can be difficult to know when it is appropriate to be mercenary with regards to his own career and development and when and how to show loyalty to what is, with the best will in the world, to all intents and purposes a fickle fan base. This is not unique to SB or us of course simply part of the cold reality of the modern world.  Not pointing fingers as much as trying to encourage understanding for someone who is struggling to make sense of a crazy lifestyle that would challenge the best of us.

socalbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2057 on: January 08, 2015, 12:44:03 AM »
i think everyone just needs to grow up, realise he aint a perfect robot goal scoring machine like everyone wants him to be, get out of his personal life (or what you hear in the bullsh*t papers), understand hes human and made mistakes, realise he WILL make more mistakes like all of us have done or will do...

and get behind the kid!
would you smile if you were playing infront of a bunch of people who just speak negative about you?

we have such negative support, its shocking.

i couldn't give a damn if hes smiling, dancing, crying or doing backflips! if hes a west brom player and scoring goals... why get rid of him then moan because we aint got a bloody goal scorer?!
I wrote a post yesterday in which I voiced the same opinion on this non-issue! It's not as if he has handed in transfer requests or been seen putting his hand up waving the old bird towards the fans as he walks out of the tunnel at the start of a match or on his way to the bench after being subbed. I know those are extreme examples but it goes along with the extreme reactions some are having. He has made the same mistakes any of us have made such as overreacting or saying something without thinking where later you regret ever opening your mouth and I'm sure even the most innocent of us have driven after having a bit to much to drink. Saido is no Odemwingie not by a long shot but if things continue like they are we will find ourselves in a similar situation where no matter who is at fault and if they were right or wrong in the end were losing our top goalscorer that we know for a fact can score goals. PO's actions towards the end of his time here were unforgivable. I wasn't thrilled about losing him even though those last months his performances matched his attitude but the damage was irreversible and I wanted him gone. I'll admit with the money athletes make I don't feel sorry for them when their lives become public it goes with the territory but they are not perfect and unless they are prone to committing serious felonies I could hardly care, for me its about results on the pitch so unless Saido runs a dogfighting ring, smacks his girlfriends around or becomes like OJ Simpson I want to keep him around as long as possible because his goals help us win matches, period!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2058 on: January 08, 2015, 07:42:14 AM »
I wrote a post yesterday in which I voiced the same opinion on this non-issue! It's not as if he has handed in transfer requests or been seen putting his hand up waving the old bird towards the fans as he walks out of the tunnel at the start of a match or on his way to the bench after being subbed. I know those are extreme examples but it goes along with the extreme reactions some are having. He has made the same mistakes any of us have made such as overreacting or saying something without thinking where later you regret ever opening your mouth and I'm sure even the most innocent of us have driven after having a bit to much to drink. Saido is no Odemwingie not by a long shot but if things continue like they are we will find ourselves in a similar situation where no matter who is at fault and if they were right or wrong in the end were losing our top goalscorer that we know for a fact can score goals. PO's actions towards the end of his time here were unforgivable. I wasn't thrilled about losing him even though those last months his performances matched his attitude but the damage was irreversible and I wanted him gone. I'll admit with the money athletes make I don't feel sorry for them when their lives become public it goes with the territory but they are not perfect and unless they are prone to committing serious felonies I could hardly care, for me its about results on the pitch so unless Saido runs a dogfighting ring, smacks his girlfriends around or becomes like OJ Simpson I want to keep him around as long as possible because his goals help us win matches, period!
at last a bit of sense, pulis would be mad to sell the only player who scores goals for us

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2059 on: January 08, 2015, 08:01:02 AM »
Sorry for any confusion :) I'm trying to make the point that being a team player is one thing but it can be difficult to know when it is appropriate to be mercenary with regards to his own career and development and when and how to show loyalty to what is, with the best will in the world, to all intents and purposes a fickle fan base. This is not unique to SB or us of course simply part of the cold reality of the modern world.  Not pointing fingers as much as trying to encourage understanding for someone who is struggling to make sense of a crazy lifestyle that would challenge the best of us.

I think its being mercenary when the point of a move is based on not whats best for you at doing your job but whats best for your bank account.
Most people follow the later i'm afraid.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2060 on: January 08, 2015, 08:13:21 AM »
It'll be interesting to read the reactions on this thread if Saido bangs in a hat-trick against Hull on Saturday! Its not beyond the realms of possibility!
For what my opinions worth I'd do everything in my power to keep him at the Hawthorns, goal scorers are, and always will be, the most highly prized of footballers.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2061 on: January 08, 2015, 08:21:58 AM »
It'll be interesting to read the reactions on this thread if Saido bangs in a hat-trick against Hull on Saturday! Its not beyond the realms of possibility!
For what my opinions worth I'd do everything in my power to keep him at the Hawthorns, goal scorers are, and always will be, the most highly prized of footballers.

i totally agree
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2062 on: January 08, 2015, 08:41:28 AM »
I think 90% of fans want to keep Berahino, just agree that he needs a guide in the right direction at times.

I would love to see him stay, score goals and became a legend here, but lets be realistic, players dont tend to stay at clubs too long anymore, especially if they are half decent.

We cant be naive when we are talking about 20-25 million pound for a player we have produced, if someone had said that to me 5 years ago I would have left and asked what drugs they were on.

20-25 million for a club like us is MASSIVE money.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to see him stay, and I will back the kid as long as hes wearing our strip, but at the end of the day he doesnt support this club and dont kid yourself if you think he would turn down a big move to stay here, because I honestly dont think he would.

Yamaka

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2063 on: January 08, 2015, 10:52:07 AM »
I think its being mercenary when the point of a move is based on not whats best for you at doing your job but whats best for your bank account.
Most people follow the later i'm afraid.

I agree however plenty of us are also talking about cashing in on the player. A marriage of convenience is not necessarily the warmest of relationships.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2064 on: January 08, 2015, 11:49:04 AM »
Townsend has come out and said hes not willing to leave Spurs aswell.

Can cross that swap deal off the list.

I would like us to still be looking at Lennon though.

Jamesa2407

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2065 on: January 08, 2015, 01:02:56 PM »
Tottenham aren't willing to pay the money for him in January, Townsend doesn't want to leave spurs.

None starter for me. I think the press built it up a lot.
"We Are West Bromwich Albion
West Bromwich Albion FC"

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2066 on: January 08, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2067 on: January 08, 2015, 06:23:42 PM »
Saido Berahino wins England U21s Player of the Year award  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06SpcaJvk3c
The PRIDE of midlands

Yamaka

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2068 on: January 08, 2015, 07:26:24 PM »

A very talented chap looking happy in his job :D

Well done!

fatboy_coach

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2069 on: January 08, 2015, 07:41:06 PM »

Hopefully he'll be smiling and celebrating like that on Saturday  8)

Great reward for his efforts in the 21s

wimbledon baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2070 on: January 08, 2015, 07:47:52 PM »
Talk of £12-15m now ::)

Seems too low for me. Shane Long or Berahino?? I know which is better value.

We gotta keep this lad until he bursts onto the England scene and then he will be worth £30m+

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2071 on: January 08, 2015, 07:51:58 PM »
Talk of £12-15m now ::)

Seems too low for me. Shane Long or Berahino?? I know which is better value.

We gotta keep this lad until he bursts onto the England scene and then he will be worth £30m+

There isnt a hope that JP will sell him for that sort of money!

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2072 on: January 08, 2015, 08:06:22 PM »
There isnt a hope that JP will sell him for that sort of money!

Who comes up with these figures? The Club certainly doesn't, so to all intents and purposes they are pie in the sky.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2073 on: January 08, 2015, 08:10:59 PM »
We have him under contract till summer 2017, so that's two full seasons after this one.

Not a chance in hell he'll go for £15m and I very much doubt he'll move at all this Jan.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2074 on: January 08, 2015, 08:29:38 PM »
Has Brian Clough would say "Well done young man"