Poll

How do you rate our chances of survival under Allardyce?

Better than under Bilic
Worse than under Bilic
About the same

Author Topic: Chances of survival  (Read 132397 times)

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Chances of survival
« Reply #675 on: April 11, 2021, 02:51:10 PM »
half time, sliver chance, absolutely no chance whatsoever now and I'm an optimist :-\

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #676 on: April 11, 2021, 02:56:37 PM »
We were relegated at the end of the summer transfer window when Dowling and Bilic between them assembled a squad that wasnt fit for purpose at this level.

The arrival of players in the January window transformed us into a team able to compete at this level but it was far too late.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #677 on: April 11, 2021, 03:10:14 PM »
Well they say it’s the hope that kills you. Well I’m a goner now. Awful season, poor signings in the summer and, with the very notable exception of Yokoslu, in January too. Let’s start to plan for next season.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #678 on: April 11, 2021, 03:36:13 PM »
We were relegated at the end of the summer transfer window when Dowling and Bilic between them assembled a squad that wasnt fit for purpose at this level.

The arrival of players in the January window transformed us into a team able to compete at this level but it was far too late.

This is exactly my take on things.

In my view we will end up 3-4 points short of survival in 18th place, that is some achievement considering how disorganised we were.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #679 on: April 11, 2021, 04:01:27 PM »
I think Newcastle will struggle for a few games now, while we have Saints, Leicester, Villa and Wolves. Our chance to make ground. Chances are mega mega slim but they aren't completely dead and like Jacko says, Newcastle were always going to pick points up and at the end of the day the difference will be how we did Versus Burnley, Sheff U and Fulham and how Newcastle do Versus them with the latter 2 to play in the last 2 games i think.

I think it will get closer. In all likelihood, as Dudleylad has said, we'll probably fall 3-4 points short.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #680 on: April 11, 2021, 04:13:33 PM »
We'll be deleting any political posts. Even if it's a lighthearted metaphor or a joke, because as has been proved time and time again - people aren't capable of keeping it light and sensible.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #681 on: April 11, 2021, 06:38:12 PM »
We'll be deleting any political posts. Even if it's a lighthearted metaphor or a joke, because as has been proved time and time again - people aren't capable of keeping it light and sensible.
Puzzled as to how politics comes into a discussion about our chances of survival. I must be missing something.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #682 on: April 11, 2021, 07:02:49 PM »
Puzzled as to how politics comes into a discussion about our chances of survival. I must be missing something.

Could be wrong but I took it to mean football politics in relation to managerial departures and subsequent appointments. Didn't see any of the deleted posts before they were committed to the Online Graveyard of Lost Thoughts though so I'm probably posting my usual inane rollocks  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #683 on: April 11, 2021, 07:06:20 PM »

Yup. A disastrous season, not because we will likely get relegated but because they wasted the majority of the cash.

Cardiaccarol

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #684 on: April 11, 2021, 07:16:20 PM »
As a fat lady I am now clearing my throat and practicing my scales

Not singing yet but I’ve dusted off the script

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #685 on: April 11, 2021, 07:29:46 PM »
Newcastle's next 5 fixtures should mean we take it to the penultimate match day. So still plenty to look forward to.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #686 on: April 11, 2021, 07:54:16 PM »
Newcastle's next 5 fixtures should mean we take it to the penultimate match day. So still plenty to look forward to.

No chance. None at all.I love my club but am a tad more realistic than some.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #687 on: April 11, 2021, 09:10:14 PM »
We will be a lot more than 3-4 points from safety at the season's end.

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #688 on: April 11, 2021, 09:13:07 PM »
We will be a lot more than 3-4 points from safety at the season's end.

Completely agree. More like 7-9 points.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #689 on: April 11, 2021, 10:33:43 PM »
Assuming that Newcastle beat Sheffield United that will take them to 35 points even if they can't scrape a draw from the rest of their fixtures. That will be enough. The only issue that remains to be settled is whether we can get past Fulham to finish 18th.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #690 on: April 11, 2021, 10:51:00 PM »
No chance. None at all.I love my club but am a tad more realistic than some.

Hello Mr. Only Find Him in the Kitchen at Parties. You must love telling young children that Father Christmas doesn't exist and the Tooth Fairy has false teeth.

The functionality of realism is very boring by nature. A bit like watching Pulis Ball without the set pieces to look forward to. Only having what we expect to happen over the attraction of the unexpected would be very dull.

We all have to wake up at some point but please allow those of us who dream to do just that before life smacks us in the face with a massive cow pat pie.

Ta  :D .

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #691 on: April 11, 2021, 11:22:23 PM »
Even if we do go down, we need to do so in style and give it a go, for two reasons.

The first is to try and finish 18th to gain about £1.5 million than finishing 19th. This could easily buy a decent Championship player which would help us get promoted. The likes of Townsend, Grosicki and Ajayi were signed for less.

The second reason is momentum. Remember when we finished 10th under Pulis? It was a great first half to the season and we looked great...then our mentality shifted and we got relegated the season after. If we end as well as possible, then it breeds belief and sets standards.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #692 on: April 11, 2021, 11:33:53 PM »
Even if we do go down, we need to do so in style.....

I've often found myself telling the wife this very same thing, she generally tells me to take things in hand  ;D .

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #693 on: April 12, 2021, 04:28:38 AM »
West Bromwich Albion (R)
Have to agree, no making up that points gap.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #694 on: April 12, 2021, 05:52:19 AM »
A truly awful premier league season. 8 games to go and two relegation spots all but confirmed and the title wrapped up. Boring

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #695 on: April 12, 2021, 08:24:15 AM »
Assuming that Newcastle beat Sheffield United that will take them to 35 points even if they can't scrape a draw from the rest of their fixtures. That will be enough. The only issue that remains to be settled is whether we can get past Fulham to finish 18th.

I think I said in an early post that come the end of the season the difference will basically be how Newcastle have done v the 3 below them and how we have done v the 2 below us and Newcastle. Newcastle have so far taken 5 points from the bottom 3 but crucially still have Fulham and Sheff Utd to play so could end up 11. We have taken 5 but could have so easily been 11.

Two words some up this season and inded previous campaigns; missed opportunity.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #696 on: April 12, 2021, 09:45:48 AM »
I thought we were done last year when we lost to Huddersfield, but Brentford conspired to give us a lifeline. Same in the great escape season, at least half a dozen times.
If I've learned nothing else in my 40 odd years watching Albion, it's to expect the unexpected!
We'll stick 3 past Saints tonight and Newcastle's joy will be short lived as they'll be twitching again.

I get the old reverse psychology approach and the, if you keep your expectations low, you don't get hurt as much, but, I'm too old for them shenanigans. So, to be still in it after such a terrible season, is a blessing that I am determined to enjoy.
We may well come up short but, to give up now would be mad. And, even if we do, we will be right in the mix at the right end of the table next season, so we've nothing at all to lose.

COYB

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #697 on: April 12, 2021, 11:23:08 AM »
I thought we were done last year when we lost to Huddersfield, but Brentford conspired to give us a lifeline. Same in the great escape season, at least half a dozen times.
If I've learned nothing else in my 40 odd years watching Albion, it's to expect the unexpected!
We'll stick 3 past Saints tonight and Newcastle's joy will be short lived as they'll be twitching again.

I get the old reverse psychology approach and the, if you keep your expectations low, you don't get hurt as much, but, I'm too old for them shenanigans. So, to be still in it after such a terrible season, is a blessing that I am determined to enjoy.
We may well come up short but, to give up now would be mad. And, even if we do, we will be right in the mix at the right end of the table next season, so we've nothing at all to lose.

COYB

Pretty much the way I feel.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #698 on: April 12, 2021, 12:45:05 PM »
Hello Mr. Only Find Him in the Kitchen at Parties. You must love telling young children that Father Christmas doesn't exist and the Tooth Fairy has false teeth.

The functionality of realism is very boring by nature. A bit like watching Pulis Ball without the set pieces to look forward to. Only having what we expect to happen over the attraction of the unexpected would be very dull.

We all have to wake up at some point but please allow those of us who dream to do just that before life smacks us in the face with a massive cow pat pie.

Ta  :D .

Thanks for all that !! I am naturally a positive person, whether you believe that or not but am struggling to be so presently. I just gave an honest viewpoint that's all.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #699 on: April 12, 2021, 05:24:38 PM »

COYB

You know that's an excellent post. Good attitude.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music