Author Topic: Paul Gascoigne  (Read 23582 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Paul Gascoigne
« on: February 04, 2013, 08:54:17 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/04/paul-gascoigne-hospital-addiction-treatment?CMP=twt_gu

The former England footballer Paul Gascoigne has been admitted to a treatment centre in the United States.

The alcoholic former Tottenham Hotspur, Lazio and Newcastle United midfielder, 45, has "willingly" been admitted to an unnamed centre, his management company said on Monday night.

The move came after fears about the state of Gascoigne's health were renewed last week when he appeared unwell and shaking during a charity appearance in Northampton where he broke down sobbing on stage in front of a room full of fans.

In a statement GamePlan Solutions said Gascoigne had been touched by the help and support shown by fans and figures within football over the past few days: "Alcoholic Paul Gascoigne has been experiencing a tough time of late. He has been asking for help and has willingly been admitted to a treatment centre in America.

"He has complex issues that are currently being dealt with by professionals. Paul has been extremely touched and overwhelmed by the generous offers of help and support over the past few days.

"He is motivated to fully understand and control his addiction problem under guidance."

Hopefully he can make a recovery. I saw the video of him at the charity event and it was quite a struggle to watch. Certainly an unwell person and I hope he makes a quick recovery. Unfortunately, I was never able to see him play.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

Re: Paul Gascoigne
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 09:01:32 PM »
sad to see such a great player in the predicament he is in now. but why does he need to go to the States for treatment! is it because if he goes off the rails again the british press wont be there!

the rainbow turn east

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 09:06:36 PM »
I suppose the muppet will do what George Best did by getting a liver transplant then totally abuse it again.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:08:53 PM by the rainbow turn east »

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
It would not be a surprise to wake one morning to find stories of him having killed himself, meant or not. I think he has lead a deeply unhappy life, like many tried to mask it with humour, but struggled.

Sad as it may be, I doubt his story will have a happy ending.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:20:49 AM »
Celebrity pals get Gazza into US rehab centre
DJ Chris, Lineker and TV Piers pay for Paul's treatment

Troubled ...Gazza yesterday before jet dashSIMON JONES ExclusiveBy DAN SALES, NICK PARKER, ROBIN PERRIE and COLIN ROBERTSON Published: 8 hrs ago 
 ALCOHOLIC Paul Gascoigne has jetted to the US and admitted to a clinic after star friends led by DJ Chris Evans teamed up to pay for emergency rehab.
Evans, ex-Three Lions team-mate Gary Lineker, Britain’s Got Talent judge Piers Morgan and former England cricketer Ronnie Irani pledged a small fortune — as fans sent messages of support.

Old drinking pal Evans said: “It’s his only chance.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leave messages of support below or email gazza@the-sun.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The friends fear time is running out for the frail football legend.

Radio 2 star Evans was among pals shocked by Gazza’s grim appearance and increasingly bizarre behaviour.

Former Newcastle, Spurs and Lazio ace Gazza, 45, was taped sobbing, slurring and swearing at a charity appearance.

Video:Paul Gascoigne's drunken charity appearanceSun ExclusiveSTUNNED fans watched frail soccer legend tremble uncontrollably and unleashed a torrent of swearwords

A source said: “Chris was deeply moved and decided to organise help straightaway. Everyone realised that if nothing was done Paul would be dead in a year.”

Evans — who enjoyed hell-raising nights with Gazza in the ’90s — contacted former Spurs striker Gary Lineker, TV’s Piers Morgan and ex-England cricketer Ronnie Irani. They are paying for £13,600 first class British Airways flights for Gazza and a carer as well as £6,000 a week for his treatment at the Meadows Rehabilitation Centre in Phoenix, Arizona.

Pals ... Chris Evans and Gazza

He is expected to stay “months, not weeks”.

As trembling Gazza jetted out from Heathrow, Evans said: “A serious addict can only be helped if they really want to be. It is my understanding that as of approximately ten o’clock Monday morning Paul asked for that help.

“Then and only then could a select group of his friends begin to put into operation the latest phase in a long fight to rid him of his demons. It’s his only chance — but at least now he’s going to get that chance.”

TalkSPORT presenter and former England cricketer Ronnie Irani last night spoke of how he and Radio 2 presenter Chris Evans, a long-term friend of Gascoigne, the football legend’s flight to the centre in Phoenix, Arizona.

Team-mate ... ace Gary Lineker

Irani also revealed the midfielder is struggling with life after what he described as “a mad six weeks”.

The radio presenter explained Gazza's recent behaviour drove him to seek help on the behalf of the former Tottenham and Lazio star.

He said: “I had a chat with [BBC radio DJ] Chris Evans and he just asked how we could help him

“We knew we just had to get him on this flight, out to the priory in Phoenix, we just had to get him on the plane.

“I called British Airways and explained the situation, that we had to get him out to Phoenix to get him some help. He needs it, and if not, who knows what’s going to happen?”

Irani revealed Gazza has received support from the Professional Footballers' Association which he has failed to take advantage of.

He added: "With Paul Gascoigne, I’ll be really honest with you, he’s had all the help he could possibly have right in front of him from the PFA.

“It’s tough. Mental health issues are a serious, serious subject.

“But sadly he’s not been able to help himself.

Support ... Paul Gascoigne and Piers Morgan
Rex
“So many people rang up yesterday to help Paul Gascoigne, like you could never believe, but the truth is he hasn’t been able to help himself.”

Britain’s Got Talent judge Morgan posted on Twitter last night: “Get well soon #Gazza — we’re all behind you. Anyone who knows Paul Gascoigne knows how desperate he is, and has been, to sort himself out.”

After his pitiful charity appearance last Thursday, Gazza spent a lonely weekend holed up in Boscombe, Dorset — leaving his flat to buy cans of lager and bottles of gin.

He has been attending Bournemouth-based rehab group Providence Projects. Two members are believed to have gone with him to Heathrow before one sat with him on the 11-hour flight. BA special services staff helped him to his seat.

Support ... Paul Gascoigne with pals
BNPS
Fellow passenger and TV exec Wayne Garvie described him as looking “tragic, pitiful and heartbreaking.”

Gazza’s spokesman said: “Alcoholic Paul Gascoigne has willingly been admitted to a treatment centre. He has been extremely touched by the generous offers of help.”

Possibly Englands best ever footballer
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »
The addictions are simply the fall out from quite serious mental illness.

Until the mental illness is sorted out he will keep being drawn to substances to block it all out, i really fear for the bloke and its good to see people from when he was in demand are stepping in to help him from what seems like rock bottom.

Its no George Best situation, Gazza is seriously mentally ill.
I only go for the beer.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 09:36:08 AM »
I went to see Gazza at The Copthorne last year, he had been clean for 8 months at the time and was on the mend but he was still visibly just a shell of the legend he is. His voice was shaky, his clothes were too big for him and he mumbled and swore his way through it and that was Gazza clean, as Rowley says this is deeper than drink, drink is just his painkiller. Get to the root cause and they will save him, I really do hope it works for him as for me he was my idol growing up. I know he's not reading it but good luck Gazza!!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 09:38:46 AM »
Alot of it goes back to his childhood when his best mate was killed after falling down a mine shaft on a disused colliery they were playing on.

That flipped him up.
I only go for the beer.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »
I think for lads like me of a certain age, Gazza was our hero. He was brilliant at football, could do things you didnt see other English players do (this was before massive european exposure) and he just played with that smile as though we was having a kickabout with his mates. He wasnt some exotic foreign superstar, he was an english lad who played the same way as lads everywhere and i think we all wanted to be Gazza!

As its been well reported he has had his problems and done some bad things in his time and isnt a saint (but who is) but you still very rarely hear anybody say a bad word about him and this latest situation and the support he has received i dont think another ex footballer would of get except Gazza.

He was the football genius who never grew up, he is meant to be one of the most generous people you could ever wish to meet and it seems along the way people have took advantage but good to see his old mates coming together now to give him a chance.

As Rowley says, it would seem its mental illness and the rest has followed on from that but i know he wouldnt ever read this but good luck Gazza, hope you beat the demons and one day fully understand how much you was and still are loved by football fans in this country.

Turkish baggie

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 07:18:18 PM »
Ain't bothered about this prat at all!
It must be at least 10yrs ago when I was in England, Steve Bull arranged a black tie do at a manor in Staffordshire for a charity which supported the parents of children very ill and the parents needed to stay with them! Great charity, amongst the guests, Steve Bull, Phil 'the power' Taylor of darts and Gascoigne. 

BRMB did the comparing and there was auctions etc, loads of money raised. Then it was relaxing time and my wife said she wanted to get the autograph of Phil Taylor and Steve Bull on the menu, not PG as she as always, even when he was playing, thought him a dickhead! Anyway when she went over and didn't ask him he was abusive to her, to the extent about coming to bed with him!!! He was inebriated!
My wife told me, I went over and Phil Taylor calmed me down and said PG was a prat and please could I leave this as the night would be spoilt. I did!

To me whether he lives or dies means nothing to me! Anyone, even a Albion player who would insult my wife is really on thin ice!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 11:59:34 AM »
Did i hear as soon as he had landed he went to the Airport bar and was caught on camera necking a pint

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 01:43:31 PM »
Did i hear as soon as he had landed he went to the Airport bar and was caught on camera necking a pint
He's an alcoholic, any chance he gets he will have a beer thats why he's gone for help.

reiss

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 06:25:58 PM »

Hope Gazza makes a recovery,my dad also had a alcohaol addiction and he beat it.

so i hope Gazza does too

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 03:04:59 PM »
He was my idol as a youngster....what a player he was too i saw him from the very start at Newcastle and was mesmerised by him.

Such a shame

And Turkish what he did too your wife was awful but you have to remember this is a bi-polar mentally unstable alcoholic i bet before the drink came and during his heyday as a 23/24 year old he wouldnt have done that....its no apology for behaviour maybe but this guy needs help and we all know the great character that is underneath all that madness...

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 05:18:35 PM »
If I was Paul Gascoigne and someone chose to have Steve Bull's autograph over mine I'd be pretty miffed off n' all!
"This crack is really moreish."

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 09:04:33 AM »
Gascooigne as been troubled since he was a youngster.
He called on a lad to go out to play and his mother said alright just you look after him.
The lad ran into the road and was killed and it as haunted him ever since.
We all deal with death in our own way but at such a young age it damaged him imo.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 09:58:04 AM »
Have you seen his latest picture.scary indeed

NEBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 10:58:28 AM »
It's a crying shame. He used to be regarded as a hero up here in Durham, but even here he is now seen as a figure of pity. He used to be a figure of derision for a short period of time and many used to think he was a buffoon.

Now most people just hope the guy has some semblance of dignity left before he inevitably loses his battle with drink and dies. I think it's pretty certain that he won't see many more years and that's sad. It really is.

Another guy who had the wrong acquaintances and was largely abandoned by the community of football. It's about time we learned that we can't do this to people. Football is a terrible industry at times.

Having said that, he made his bed and took those choices. He might have had bad advice, but he was the guy who controlled his own fate and he let himself down. He can't blame everybody else for his situation, but there is an equal amount of blame, in my  opinion.
"Well, love is insanity. The ancient Greeks knew that. It is the taking over of a rational and lucid mind by delusion and self-destruction. You lose yourself, you have no power over yourself, you can't even think straight."

I guess I'm in love with West Brom...I have been for around 3 months now.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 11:02:57 AM »
Not sure you can apportion blame for alcoholism it's a disease.

Hope Gazza keeps fighting.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

NEBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 11:26:17 AM »
Not sure you can apportion blame for alcoholism it's a disease.

Hope Gazza keeps fighting.

True. I didn't mean to sound arrogant in that regard. I was merely intending to clarify that I wasn't going to suggest those around him had the responsibility to help him out. He had a responsibility to help himself.

But I do understand that alcoholism is a disease and that many people really struggle with it. I know that for various reasons. My uncle struggled for years. But he also took a great deal of support on board and that helped him to cope. Not recover, but cope.

Gazza hasn't taken that advice at times and sometimes the advice he has received has been lacklustre. Blame was the wrong word for me to use perhaps.

I really meant that it was waste of a talent and that all parties never really afforded themselves an opportunity to help. Chances weren't taken sufficiently and that is the most regrettable aspect.

Apologies for offence caused.
"Well, love is insanity. The ancient Greeks knew that. It is the taking over of a rational and lucid mind by delusion and self-destruction. You lose yourself, you have no power over yourself, you can't even think straight."

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 11:34:04 AM »
The most gifted English footballer in my time.I dont think anyone can help him, hes past help.Such a shame

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 12:17:23 PM »
Its a real shame how things have turned out for Gazza. I saw a photo off him this morning didn't realize it was him at first one of the most gifted players England has ever had.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 12:25:59 PM »
Theres a picture of him in the mail. Really sad to see him like that. Hope he finds the strength to beat his illness.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 12:38:12 PM »
Really guts me to see him like this...one of my footballing heroes.

I have too say though that he has had chance after chance to get past this but seems to fall off the wagon time and time again.

I really hope he gets past this but personally I think he will be dead within 5 years, if not the alcohol he will commit suicide as he has tried to on several occasions

Ive just finished reading finished reading Gazza My Story, had me howling in parts but too see him now really blots the copybook for me

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 09:57:35 PM »
Waste of space of a man, been given numerous chances and many offers of help, selfish git who is using up the National Health resources.
Baggie in Southampton

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 10:06:38 PM »
Anybody who has an addiction will realize they are not easily cured. With a little wisdom and compassion I feel a LITTLE sorry for the bloke . Btw I can remember the time when booze was mainly sold in pubs . Now it's everywhere at all times and cheap . By all means mock the man but also realize the big people who are making money are the real scumbags .

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »
Cant believe he is 47! 7 years younger than me but looks about 70. Sad to say another George Best in the making. Many people have tried and failed to help him, but will not help himself

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »
In this chaps career of say 15 years I wonder how much he has paid in income tax  and national insurance . He has probably payed more than some who work 50 years . There are those who pay nowt and those who flood in to our country . It is they who are clogging up the nhs . I have only a certain amount of time for him . It's sad  isn't it .

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 10:26:07 PM »
Bless him, football will help him IMO, take up Arrys offer Gazza.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2014, 08:07:50 AM »
Lineaker was on the news last night saying how many times he'd been offered help.
Looks like a man on borrowed time to me
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2014, 09:32:31 AM »
Bless him, football will help him IMO, take up Arrys offer Gazza.

But how many more times, he has made his life choices, plenty of people more deserving of help than him, sorry, I feel more sorry for the owner of his Sandbanks flat that he has probably wrecked than him.

Wife beater as well before you feel too sorry for him.
Baggie in Southampton

BRIAN

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2014, 09:47:09 AM »
There are too many people who decry the likes of Gazza, but have little understanding of the background and reasons for his sad condition. It is an illness just as cancer is. Don't rush to say that it is not comparable because it is, in that one cannot avoid either. Smokers are addicts as are drinkers. Both need to be stopped ASAP, then problems will lessen. Those who have made some offensive remarks should be ashamed, and hope that those close to them do not go down the same slippery path as Paul Gascoine.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 11:33:38 AM »
Waste of space of a man, been given numerous chances and many offers of help, selfish git who is using up the National Health resources.

I really hope you don't have a loved one fall victim to addiction.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2014, 12:25:30 PM »
But how many more times, he has made his life choices, plenty of people more deserving of help than him, sorry, I feel more sorry for the owner of his Sandbanks flat that he has probably wrecked than him.

Wife beater as well before you feel too sorry for him.

Would you berate someone with cancer or depression?

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2014, 01:07:34 PM »
We all know he is a plonker , I would dare say the violence is because of drink . Not excusable I know .

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2014, 07:52:06 PM »
As the brother of a chronic alcoholic who was once gifted with an enormous musical talent, I find myself identifying with both sides of this argument...

To suggest he has made a life choice is naive to say the very least. Alcoholism is a slow creeping illness and one that goes way beyond the simple mechanic of someone 'starting to drink more and more'. There are almost invariably bigger demons behind it all. Equally it is a social trap which, given the wrong circumstances we could all go but for the grace of God. (the phrase still works even if you are atheist incidentally).

That said, the destruction and havoc such a person can cause on those around them is enormous and I would be lying if I didn't say there isn't a day goes by that I could swing for my brother. Even though I feel some empathy, if not sympathy for him.

Gascoigne was a hero in my time who was also still a small and frightened boy. Let's not berate him for who and where he is now, even if we feel sad and angry at what he has turned into.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2014, 10:46:36 PM »
As the brother of a chronic alcoholic who was once gifted with an enormous musical talent, I find myself identifying with both sides of this argument...

To suggest he has made a life choice is naive to say the very least. Alcoholism is a slow creeping illness and one that goes way beyond the simple mechanic of someone 'starting to drink more and more'. There are almost invariably bigger demons behind it all. Equally it is a social trap which, given the wrong circumstances we could all go but for the grace of God. (the phrase still works even if you are atheist incidentally).

That said, the destruction and havoc such a person can cause on those around them is enormous and I would be lying if I didn't say there isn't a day goes by that I could swing for my brother. Even though I feel some empathy, if not sympathy for him.

Gascoigne was a hero in my time who was also still a small and frightened boy. Let's not berate him for who and where he is now, even if we feel sad and angry at what he has turned into.

hear hear

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2014, 10:55:23 PM »
See this is where I differ to many people in that I find all this talk of alcoholism being an "illness" as complete and utter nonsense. It isn't an illness, it is an addiction brought on by oneself.

It's not that I don't have sympathy with Gazza, I do, the guy clearly has mental demons - that isn't his fault and alcohol is his way of coping I suppose but whatever the reasons, whatever the justification it doesn't make alcoholism an illness.

In the modern world we have to label everything and we have include all the what once were weirds and or wrongs as an acceptable part of the modern world. We excuse everything, we try and find reason and empathy for everything and a lot of the time, quite frankly, it's all a load of bllx. 

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 02:31:54 PM »
I also dont see alcoholism as an illness either, the mental problems preceeding turning to alcohol is an illness and alcohol is the medicine they turn too cope with those problems.

Alcoholism is an addiction, its the same as heroin addicts (and I hold them with utter contempt)

I feel pity for people that turn to alcohol and drugs so much that they cant live without them but I have no sympathy for them either as they ruin other peoples lives be it families or others through crime to fund these addictions.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2014, 04:47:58 PM »
What irritates me about this whole things is that lots of people have problems, but because it's him it's splashed everywhere. Give the bloke some peace and let him sort it out.

What a pathetic world we live in, where people are fascinated by that tramp Jordan and all her random kids, or what dress Kate Middleton wears...some people just need to get on with their own lives and sort their own issues out instead of focusing on what others are doing.

Regis no 1

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2014, 05:10:15 PM »
My farther has alcohol related dementia and unfortunately has had to go in a home simply because we couldn't cope with his behaviour .
Looking at Paul Gascoinge makes me angry he has had lots of money and instead of putting it to some good use he's pi***d it up the wall.
My farther didn't have the money got into debt and had to bailed out of it by myself. IMO Gascoinge needs to get a grip of it , there is only him that can do it no one can do it for him and he's going to HAVE to want to do it . My farther didn't he would rather have a drink than something to eat.
The Lord is my shepherd .

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2014, 05:38:58 PM »

No
Baggie in Southampton

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 05:43:09 PM »
I really hope you don't have a loved one fall victim to addiction.

I have and I like your use of the word victim, their selfishness knows no bounds, all they are interested in is themselves and their own 'needs'.

One relative has stolen off his family, mother, father, brother, cousin, nan, his parents are distraught, does he do anything to stop his habit, NO, I need no lectures on addiction, I have lived with the consequences of their selfish behaviour for 10 years.
Baggie in Southampton

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »
Personally, I think Gazza has a death wish. If so, no-one will be able stop him.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

NEBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2014, 10:09:07 PM »
I have and I like your use of the word victim, their selfishness knows no bounds, all they are interested in is themselves and their own 'needs'.

One relative has stolen off his family, mother, father, brother, cousin, nan, his parents are distraught, does he do anything to stop his habit, NO, I need no lectures on addiction, I have lived with the consequences of their selfish behaviour for 10 years.

Mental illnesses don't really have a concept of 'selfishness.'

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2014, 10:28:51 PM »
Mental illnesses don't really have a concept of 'selfishness.'

He had plenty of help before he was mentally ill, he spurned it all, beat up his wife who was trying to help him, at what point does he lose sympathy, how many other people does he need to damage?

I'm all for helping people with their problems, but there are limits.
Baggie in Southampton

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2014, 07:07:07 AM »

No, but then again those illness's arn't self inflicted.
Before anyone gets all piouse and sentimental if hat man hadn't been Paul Gascoigne most of you on here would walk passed him in the street and just seen another old urine head

NEBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2014, 08:31:17 AM »
No, but then again those illness's arn't self inflicted.
Before anyone gets all piouse and sentimental if hat man hadn't been Paul Gascoigne most of you on here would walk passed him in the street and just seen another old pee head

But would you have asked yourself what demons lead that guy into the decisions he then made? Or the crutch he then needed to lean on when those demons drove him into desperation?

Everyone has a story to tell.

I am not saying this happened to Gazza, obviously - but it wouldn't take much for any one of us to descend into a personal hell.

The death of a child, a divorce, home repossession, job redundancy...these all lead to feelings of inadequacy and loneliness and depression that can drive  us to rely on a 'medicine' that makes it all numb for a little while.

I can see your point, really I can...when people are offered all the help possible and still refuse it, they are making some awful decisions and deeply frustrate the people around them.

But some people can't crawl out of the hole they have dug for themselves as it's just too dark at the bottom of that pit...

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2014, 02:25:35 AM »
But would you have asked yourself what demons lead that guy into the decisions he then made? Or the crutch he then needed to lean on when those demons drove him into desperation?

Everyone has a story to tell.

I am not saying this happened to Gazza, obviously - but it wouldn't take much for any one of us to descend into a personal hell.

The death of a child, a divorce, home repossession, job redundancy...these all lead to feelings of inadequacy and loneliness and depression that can drive  us to rely on a 'medicine' that makes it all numb for a little while.

I can see your point, really I can...when people are offered all the help possible and still refuse it, they are making some awful decisions and deeply frustrate the people around them.

But some people can't crawl out of the hole they have dug for themselves as it's just too dark at the bottom of that pit...

To a degree, and this might sound heartless, that is up to them. If people don't want help and refuse to accept it or throw it back in the faces of those who offer it then basically they choose to stay at the bottom of the pit. There comes a time when any individual has to help themselves they cannot expect people to mollycoddle them 24/7.

I have been a victim of depression so I know exactly what it's like and yes sometimes you do need help but help is just that - help - that is not the same thing as everyone else doing all the work for you.

Gazza is a grown man and whatever his demons he knows how drink will affect him yet he still decides to go down that path. If he is insistent on not helping himself that is his choice.

NEBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2014, 07:20:57 AM »
I think I'm brushing Gazza with a broad stroke and trying to sympathise with him without really considering context too much.

When I reflect on his 'story' I've got to say that I am inclined to agree with various people here. He has been afforded very many opportunities to get himself out of this. Some of the advice he has been given and some of the people he has chosen to support him have been incredibly poor at times, and so he has possibly become apathetic to help when it is provided. In that regard, various people have failed him.

However, if he has been continually offered opportunities by others and he has shown a willing to recover and then simply thrown in the towel...that's a different matter and I can understand the cynicism of others.

It's a tough one.

You don't want Gazza to be an 'example' of every alcoholic depressive, as he simply isn't. In this case, however, unlike some other people who can and should be defended and supported,  Gazza simply doesn't get it.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2014, 01:16:28 PM »
one thing with this is that people say that it is only in the papers and press because of who he is and if it was just some random guy in the street people would just walk by and think it's just another drunk.

that is true but at the same time Gazza has probably had more help than anyone with this addiction/illness/problem of his due to who he is.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2014, 08:22:06 AM »

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2014, 09:18:24 AM »
Ive said he wont last 5 years.

He looks awful, he cant stop and it WILL kill him and its such a shame as he was my hero

Not anymore though

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2014, 09:43:53 AM »
He wont last much longer which is a massive shame.

He looks like hes on another planet in some of those pictures.

Hopefully a miracle sees him turn his life around but I cant see it happening.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2014, 12:00:31 PM »
He is killing himself...his choice unfortunately

This guy was my idol and yet now ive nothing for him. He had so much to give back too football and decided to pee it all up the wall.

Ive no sympathy for him anymore, if he had included people in his life and surrounded himself with people and football I dont think he would be the way he is now, instead he went alone and let the demons take control.

Dead within a year is my reckoning

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2014, 03:01:58 PM »

This guy was my idol and yet now ive nothing for him. He had so much to give back too football and decided to pee it all up the wall.

Ive no sympathy for him anymore, if he had included people in his life and surrounded himself with people and football I dont think he would be the way he is now, instead he went alone and let the demons take control.

That's the whole point, they can't see all of the support they have because the addition is so much bigger than anything - fame, opportunity, even people and loving support.

I know this because my brother is exactly the same, had loads of musical talent by the way and now his hands don't even work properly. I don't judge him, addiction isn't that black and white. All od that said though I believe the brother I had is 90% lost (in terms of the person I knew) and most likely that is exactly the same with Gazza.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2014, 03:59:39 PM »
That's the whole point, they can't see all of the support they have because the addition is so much bigger than anything - fame, opportunity, even people and loving support.

I know this because my brother is exactly the same, had loads of musical talent by the way and now his hands don't even work properly. I don't judge him, addiction isn't that black and white. All od that said though I believe the brother I had is 90% lost (in terms of the person I knew) and most likely that is exactly the same with Gazza.

I know someone who went through the same aswell..brilliant musician and a fantastic artist but the drink ruled everything and he became nothing but a scumbag in the eyes of many..

Its a shame but I really have no sympathy for anyone that is given chance after chance after chance and has friends helping them out and for all the help they give its thrown back in their faces.

Quite obviously he wants to kill himself, he has said so himself, if he doesnt want to be here then let him drink himself into oblivion. No skin off my nose,  can watch videos of him from when I did look upto him and forget everything else that happened once he gave up on himself

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »
I know someone who went through the same aswell..brilliant musician and a fantastic artist but the drink ruled everything and he became nothing but a scumbag in the eyes of many..

Its a shame but I really have no sympathy for anyone that is given chance after chance after chance and has friends helping them out and for all the help they give its thrown back in their faces.

Quite obviously he wants to kill himself, he has said so himself, if he doesnt want to be here then let him drink himself into oblivion. No skin off my nose,  can watch videos of him from when I did look upto him and forget everything else that happened once he gave up on himself

Fair point and unfortunately roughly where I am with my own flesh and blood!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2014, 05:02:30 PM »
Fair point and unfortunately roughly where I am with my own flesh and blood!

Shame to hear that mate, when its your own flesh and blood I can imagine it is a slightly different kettle of fish

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2015, 10:35:37 AM »
Looking fit and healty again despite the beard.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3119573/Get-rid-goatee-Gazza-look-like-Gary-Glitter-Football-fans-urge-England-great-shave-beard-unveiling-new-healthy-look-film-premiere.html

I would love nothing more than Gazza to be on the straight and narrow and get a job back in football, he has so much to offer. However, I think this is only temporary and can see Gazza back on it soon and ultimately dead. 

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2015, 10:43:13 AM »
Looking fit and healty again despite the beard.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3119573/Get-rid-goatee-Gazza-look-like-Gary-Glitter-Football-fans-urge-England-great-shave-beard-unveiling-new-healthy-look-film-premiere.html

I would love nothing more than Gazza to be on the straight and narrow and get a job back in football, he has so much to offer. However, I think this is only temporary and can see Gazza back on it soon and ultimately dead.

Have to agree with the last part there. Haven't we seen him doing "well" many times before? There's only so many chances he's going to get before his body gives up.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2015, 12:55:53 PM »
Have to agree with the last part there. Haven't we seen him doing "well" many times before? There's only so many chances he's going to get before his body gives up.

he was on radio the other day and sounded like he was getting back to his old self.
I hope it can last, despite his issues he seems to be a nice guy underneath it all, some of his acts of generosity (which people phoned in to recount after his interview) are highly commendable.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2015, 03:48:09 PM »
Shame how the booze entered he's life such a character and wonderfully gifted player who had more passion for England than all of the current set up put together, Its a shame he doesn't want to die people don't want to drink but he has had many chances and like someone else said if he wasn't PG you would just say there's another bum, Hes stories on the BBC website last couple days have been brilliant.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2018, 12:40:06 PM »
Looks like he's been charged with sexual assault on a train now.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2018, 02:18:47 PM »
I like to know why he's been named in the press , yet grooming  gangs who do far more serious crimes are aloud to live normal lives until found guilty,  could any one tell me the reason for this ?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2018, 03:43:26 PM »
I like to know why he's been named in the press , yet grooming  gangs who do far more serious crimes are aloud to live normal lives until found guilty,  could any one tell me the reason for this ?

Because Paul Gascoigne aka Gazza sells, whereas Mohammed Malik aka Pervert does not.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2018, 03:57:43 PM »
Because Paul Gascoigne aka Gazza sells, whereas Mohammed Malik aka Pervert does not.
And that is where it's wrong ,

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2018, 04:33:33 PM »

Alcoholism is a disease it can be beaten but you need a strong willpower and have to want or have a good reason to beat it.
Unfortunately for Gazza I don't think he has either.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2018, 09:20:37 PM »
Surprised he's still alive. Not drunk himself to death

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2018, 08:05:29 AM »

I think it is because once he is charged then it is a matter of public record, ie; he will be appearing at a Magistrates Court in a few days to start the legal process. He was arrested in August apparently and it was not publicised then to my knowledge. Now he has been charged there is little to prevent it becoming public knowledge. Doesnt always work that way - think of Paul Gambachinni, Cliff Richard etc Unfortunately big names are big news........ personally I dont agree with it and I am pleased that both are/have sued the various authorities for damages etc

MAGA!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2019, 06:24:20 PM »
Gazza’s Sexual Assault Case: The jury have retired to consider its verdict.

I think if he is found guilty, it might result in a custodial sentence for him
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2019, 09:39:22 AM »
Gazza’s Sexual Assault Case: The jury have retired to consider its verdict.

I think if he is found guilty, it might result in a custodial sentence for him
I think they might use the argument that there is no public interest in him going to prison and give him a big fine, suspended sentence and a massive community order

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2019, 01:05:57 PM »
not guilty of sexual assult, a lesser charge is possible

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2019, 02:39:07 PM »
Paul Gascoigne has been cleared of assault by beating after earlier also being cleared of sexual assault
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2019, 03:20:58 PM »
Did they hold the trial in the Gallowgate?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2019, 08:37:00 PM »
This is great, I am fat and ugly, so when I sit on a train, women will know they can safely kiss me and not be prosecuted.  Going on to "Trainline" right now.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2019, 11:31:48 PM »
This is great, I am fat and ugly, so when I sit on a train, women will know they can safely kiss me and not be prosecuted.  Going on to "Trainline" right now.

Gazza wants a word sweet cheeks  ;) .......
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2019, 08:19:00 AM »
Gazza wants a word sweet cheeks  ;) .......
Make it sloppy, big boy

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2022, 01:41:41 PM »
Saw pictures of him doing his flute celebration yesterday after his friendly match for Rangers. Might upset a few people but as a Roman Catholic didn't bother me. It was not till someone posted a video of his 'goal'. What an embarrassment.

The ball was passed to him and missed it completely so the opposition passed it back to him he had another shot which the goalie pretended to make an attempt to save the ball and let it in ;D

If the mods are not happy with my post please feel free to remove it.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2022, 01:53:49 PM »
Sounds like typical SPL quality.

bosh

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2022, 04:04:07 PM »
And sounds like our defending at times this season. They were obviously trying to play it out from the back.