Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 283079 times)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #800 on: February 10, 2019, 06:35:06 PM »
Well buy him at the end of the season Brendan. Obviously has not got a future here and lets put the money towards new signings (Hopefully).
You come to this conclusion how exactly?

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #801 on: February 10, 2019, 06:40:17 PM »

We aren't in the Premier League so I'm not sure what your point is. St Johnstone on the other hand are in the Premier League  ;D
Burke is still young. He has been sent up to Celtic to get game time and improve his game. So far he has impressed and hopefully by the time the season ends he will have made some good progress and be ready to be the asset his raw skill promised. I really don't know what people are moaning about. It looked like a good plan at the time and so far it is paying dividends. We should be supporting the lad, not having a go at every opportunity.

But we're talking about next season, and I thought the Premier League was where we were aiming to be? I wish the lad well and hope he finds his true potential. But I can't see it being with us. Maybe the game in Scotland suits him better. He obviously has bags of pace, but he always looked like he was lost with poor positional sense. If he scores a few goals in the Scottish league that will boost his confidence, but its a big step up even to the Championship. I think we have to be ready to cut our losses with him.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #802 on: February 10, 2019, 06:51:05 PM »
But we're talking about next season, and I thought the Premier League was where we were aiming to be? I wish the lad well and hope he finds his true potential. But I can't see it being with us. Maybe the game in Scotland suits him better. He obviously has bags of pace, but he always looked like he was lost with poor positional sense. If he scores a few goals in the Scottish league that will boost his confidence, but its a big step up even to the Championship. I think we have to be ready to cut our losses with him.
.....and that is what he will hopefully improve with regular games for Celtic. He's only 21 so too soon to write him off.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #803 on: February 10, 2019, 07:03:51 PM »
Going to come back a totally different player after being Schooled by quality coach in Rodgers. Moore will have to give him game time no matter what league were in.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #804 on: February 10, 2019, 07:18:04 PM »
This season Moore and the staff started to convert him to a striker. He wasn’t getting ahead of our strikers so they loaned him out. To me the plan is working fine so far.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #805 on: February 11, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »
I think in an ideal world Celtic take him for a year next season as well. He may improve/learn slightly in his short time up there but I don't feel enough to get into our team when back (regardless of the division) so would need another year of improving to be good enough for us.

Worst case scenario out of all of this for us is we increase his transfer fee.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #806 on: February 11, 2019, 02:22:44 PM »
I think in an ideal world Celtic take him for a year next season as well. He may improve/learn slightly in his short time up there but I don't feel enough to get into our team when back (regardless of the division) so would need another year of improving to be good enough for us.

Worst case scenario out of all of this for us is we increase his transfer fee.

I’d still be inclined to sell him, but because of his ability but because of his attitude.  Take £10m in the summer and move on.  We won’t miss what we’ve never had.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #807 on: February 11, 2019, 03:11:06 PM »
His good performances at Celtic plus his age only boosts his price up. I'd be asking for what we paid for him personally. Recouping what we paid would be good business given how much we paid.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #808 on: February 11, 2019, 03:44:08 PM »
His good performances at Celtic plus his age only boosts his price up. I'd be asking for what we paid for him personally. Recouping what we paid would be good business given how much we paid.
if promoted I’d be asking for Tierney and send a couple mil their way. Could fix up LB for years.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #809 on: February 11, 2019, 04:26:35 PM »
You come to this conclusion how exactly?

Just my opinion mate. Shipped off to Celtic and we loaned 2 wingers in. Don't think Big Dave trusts him. Might be wrong but those are my thoughts.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #810 on: February 11, 2019, 05:56:02 PM »
I don't understand why everyone has just given up on Burke. Celtic are playing Valencia this week let's see how he fares against them. Lets face it he is a bit of a loose cannon, and I can understand why previous managers, have not risked him in relegation battles etc, but the assertion that because Pulis, Pardew, and Moore do not trust him, he is for the scrap heap, is nonsense.
All three have proved that they are not always correct in their player assessment.   Krychowiak for instance, Bartley for instance, and to make matters worse the managers persisted in playing those players.
If Burke continues to do well at Celtic, give him a proper chance whatever division we are in.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #811 on: February 11, 2019, 07:24:36 PM »
I’d still be inclined to sell him, but because of his ability but because of his attitude.  Take £10m in the summer and move on.  We won’t miss what we’ve never had.
Eh? I've never heard a bad word about his attitude. Quite the opposite in fact.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #812 on: February 11, 2019, 10:07:04 PM »
Playing upfront with his pace and movement suits him, I remember he played well away at West Ham last season. Moore never gave him a chance yet plays HRK every opportunity he gets. Not surprised he’s hit the ground running at Celtic. Shame we didn’t play him in our front three for a few games. His pace is electric. Better than Murphy in my view, as he’s stronger with a better technique.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #813 on: February 12, 2019, 02:40:04 AM »
 :D Pulling trees up apparently with Celtic????? and wants to stay with them...Ok by me for 10 mill. ;D

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #814 on: February 12, 2019, 07:49:36 PM »
:D Pulling trees up apparently with Celtic????? and wants to stay with them...Ok by me for 10 mill. ;D

Plus add ons & a percentage of any sell on money

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #815 on: February 12, 2019, 08:55:09 PM »
While it's still early days I feel Burke would have offered more than Murphy last 1 and a bit games...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #816 on: February 12, 2019, 08:57:58 PM »
While it's still early days I feel Burke would have offered more than Murphy last 1 and a bit games...
Tbh I think Willie Johnston would have pushed him close...

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #817 on: February 12, 2019, 10:22:59 PM »
Think Rodgers and his coaching staff in short period have exposed our coaching staffs short comings in relation to our youngsters.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #818 on: February 12, 2019, 10:35:51 PM »
Burke vs Murphy and we chose Murphy?? Looks a weird choice?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #819 on: February 13, 2019, 12:45:25 AM »
Burke vs Murphy and we chose Murphy?? Looks a weird choice?

Plainly the wrong choice.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #820 on: February 13, 2019, 11:21:27 PM »
Think Rodgers and his coaching staff in short period have exposed our coaching staffs short comings in relation to our youngsters.
This is a good point,apart from Barry and Gayle who are  naturals anyway,i cant really see how our coaching staffs have improved anyone

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #821 on: February 14, 2019, 08:48:35 AM »
I’m off to the celtic game tonight, having never got to see more then cameo appearances for us it will be good to see how he plays against quality opposition in Valencia.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #822 on: February 14, 2019, 09:32:59 AM »
I’m off to the celtic game tonight, having never got to see more then cameo appearances for us it will be good to see how he plays against quality opposition in Valencia.

Please let us hear your thoughts on his performance,cheers.

rons

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #823 on: February 14, 2019, 08:57:06 PM »
Watching Celtic,Burke playing cf has touched the ball twice in the first half, committed one foul and apart from that has run around like a headless chicken with very poor positional sense.I can see why he didn't get  much of a look in with us.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #824 on: February 14, 2019, 08:58:16 PM »
Watchng the game, OB has shown a good turn of pace (which we already knew) and little else, albeit against a much higher grade of defender than he would meet in the SPL.