Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 679207 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Slaven Bilic
« Reply #3775 on: December 15, 2020, 11:42:56 PM »
We wait and see but with Percy reporting it then there is some credibility behind the story.

It is somewhat ironic that we put in that performance with that line up on the eve of what might be his dismissal. While it inevitably makes the boards decision look harsh it also highlights a number of things that he has got wrong in the preceding 12 games.

In terms of results there is no argument, sorry there just isn't we are hovering around half a point a game mark with 1/3rd of the season gone we are freerolling on changing the coach. We have little to lose and have everything to gain even if that gain is unlikely.

The names that are being bandied around are frankly disturbing but I will hold fire for now on that.

If Bilic is sacked that's the way it goes I am less unhappy about this than I was about Moore.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3776 on: December 15, 2020, 11:47:35 PM »
We are all still going to be here. You don't just stop being an Albion fan.

We'll still be here when the current board have gone, shame on them in so many ways.

Exactly and under Lai my interest levels have dropped tremendously, nowhere near what his have though.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3777 on: December 15, 2020, 11:48:12 PM »
The whole leaking of this story minutes after a valiant performance just shows what a bunch of snivelling toe rags we have running the club at the moment. Regardless of people's opinions on the dismissal, Slav deserves more respect than this.
"This crack is really moreish."

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3778 on: December 15, 2020, 11:52:07 PM »
The whole leaking of this story minutes after a valiant performance just shows what a bunch of snivelling toe rags we have running the club at the moment. Regardless of people's opinions on the dismissal, Slav deserves more respect than this.

It might be Billic's people that have leaked it ???

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3779 on: December 15, 2020, 11:56:23 PM »
It might be Billic's people that have leaked it ???

I doubt it.

These stories have been circling since at least November.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3780 on: December 15, 2020, 11:57:20 PM »
Well Partisan would get his wish but potentially would be positing away on an empty forum as the majority of us will have thrown the towel in completely.

I popped out for a walk after the game finished and having just got back in the house see all these stories on NewsNow about Slaven Bilić potentially being sacked tomorrow.

Even I don’t understand the timing here. Certainly not after the 1-1 draw against the Citizen’s tonight. I thought that result bought him a couple more games and to be honest I wasn’t going to argue with that. Why not do this after the losses against Southampton, Fulham, Crystal Palace or even Newcastle?

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3781 on: December 16, 2020, 12:05:00 AM »
To replace Bilic with either Big Fat Sam or the miserable Welsh git that is Hughes would be an absolute disgrace. It’s probably not allowed though, to criticise a ‘manager’ before they are appointed, so this post will probably go, along with the last one.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3782 on: December 16, 2020, 12:06:10 AM »
What ridiculous timing, we can't even get the basics right. They clearly expected we would be hammered tonight and so briefed the press of their plans, only for it to back fire. I get why we are planning to make a change, but to do it in this way? What a mess.

The players put in everything for him tonight. This isn't the way to make a change.

Lai, Dowling, clowns.
As much as I was surprised, and chuffed, to get a point away at one of the elite clubs tonight, the powers to be look further back. A workforce, digging in occasionally, shouldn’t sway a decision that has already been made.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3783 on: December 16, 2020, 12:08:58 AM »
As much as I was surprised, and chuffed, to get a point away at one of the elite clubs tonight, the powers to be look further back. A workforce, digging in occasionally, shouldn’t sway a decision that has already been made.

This is true, moving emotions from the result aside Bilic has not helped himself tactically and when you look at his record over 12 months it is poor. The board have also screwed him over royally though, BIG TIME. He could have reacted better himself in turn. What a mess.

loucanova

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #3784 on: December 16, 2020, 12:11:53 AM »
What do the idiots running the club expect, Bilic might have made some tactical and selection errors, which manager hasn’t but to sack him would be pretty harsh IMO. Things like the Gibbs and Pereira sending offs can’t be put down to him nor can very poor refereeing decisions like at Old Trafford. The thought of him being replaced by Big Sam or Hughes fills me with total dread. I think Pearson still has plenty to offer as a manager even though he is a loose cannon and is capable of starting a war on his own but I’d still be sorry to see Slaven dismissed.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3785 on: December 16, 2020, 12:18:35 AM »
This is true, moving emotions from the result aside Bilic has not helped himself tactically and when you look at his record over 12 months it is poor. The board have also screwed him over royally though, BIG TIME. He could have reacted better himself in turn. What a mess.

Why not do this Saturday night, Sunday or Monday? That’s what I don’t understand Gaz.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3786 on: December 16, 2020, 12:22:22 AM »
What happens if a new manager comes in, and the team spirit which is obvious to everybody now, drains away, and we start putting in worse performances? I can't see many managers getting more out of this group. Do we think the likes of Pereira is going to put in better performances in an Allardyce team? And will any new manager suddenly convince the owners to open their wallets for the next transfer window? To me all looks like a panic move.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3787 on: December 16, 2020, 12:22:40 AM »
Why not do this Saturday night, Sunday or Monday? That’s what I don’t understand Gaz.

Guessing they just assumed he was going to mess it up tonight and chances are even if he didnt we would normally lose, they are our bogey team after all. Now it looks mad. Give him Villa, if he goes back to squares in round holes we know he doesnt want to be here. If he gets it right and stays sensible going forward we will be ok

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3788 on: December 16, 2020, 12:22:53 AM »
Whatever you think of Bilic (backed him but recently wondered if he might be done) the names Percy mentions are terrifying and back to square one for me...Here in lies the problem.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3789 on: December 16, 2020, 12:25:37 AM »
There are usually legal reasons why any decision is made. We’ll never know.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3790 on: December 16, 2020, 12:26:26 AM »
Guessing they just assumed he was going to mess it up tonight and chances are even if he didnt we would normally lose, they are our bogey team after all. Now it looks mad. Give him Villa, if he goes back to squares in round holes we know he doesnt want to be here. If he gets it right and stays sensible going forward we will be ok

Agreed, Villa or bust.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3791 on: December 16, 2020, 12:30:22 AM »
There are usually legal reasons why any decision is made. We’ll never know.

Wonder if the clubs legal counsel will be getting an earful tomorrow in relation to the timing 🤔
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 12:32:01 AM by PartisanBaggie »

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3792 on: December 16, 2020, 12:34:31 AM »
Should be celebrating a well earned point instead we are talking about the board being a bunch of bar stewards and planning to sack him

Billic made bold decisions tonight he dropped Ivanovic and the back 3. Livermore coming back in. Just think if we hadn't had VAR screw us out of 5 points v man utd and chelsea he would be running on 1 point a game and I doubt he would have anywhere near as many critics.

If we havent got somebody lined up with all the games coming thick and fast then its grossly incompetent. And if we are going to bring in mark hughes or somebody then we might as well have just kept slaven.

Hopefully the board just say you are on thin ice turn this around build on last night all on the villa game.
O Albion we love you

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3793 on: December 16, 2020, 12:42:59 AM »
Fair play to Partisan and Gazberg, we have different opinions on Bilic’s future but after tonights result and performance both have said they think give him a bit longer.

Sadly it seems the decision has been made but i probably see it different, if tonights result has brought Bilic a game or two extra, i think its a dodgy path to go down, i dont think it gives the manager, playera or fans confidence if your just going game by game.

If we were going to sack him, do it after the Palace or Newcastle game, not atter a game where it could be a a springboard for the season like tonights game.

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3794 on: December 16, 2020, 05:13:06 AM »
Although I posted yesterday that I expect bilic to be gone by Wednesday I really liked having him as our manager. Over the years we have been a revolving door for managers and as watford found this only gets you so far. I wonder if two seasons is the average life span of a manager at our place since the late seventies

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3795 on: December 16, 2020, 06:17:56 AM »
It was clear to see that Bilic had not lost the respect of the players, to a man they gave their all last night.
We've changed managers at the drop of a hat over the last few years and we're still a shambles.
All we can hope is that a benefactor with ambition comes in and gives the club a cash injection it so badly needs, because our board are not fit for purpose
To let Slav bring in the players he has and then hand the tenure over to the likes of fat Sam or Hughsie is a disgrace.
You know our board can't react quickly, I can only assume that they have been plotting this for some time.
To roll it out after a gutsy performance from the team and manager like last night just shows how utterly distant those making the decision are from the rest.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3796 on: December 16, 2020, 06:28:34 AM »
We could have sacked him in at any point between now and July and it looks like they've settled on the one game where he's currently in favour with most of the fans.

Despite the heroics last night he's shown little evidence of being able to organise a side and make us hard to score against and he's had 18 months to put that right. I'd also question some of his decisions in the transfer market, £16m on Grant no wonder the board didn't want to give him any extra.

That said, and I said the same when we got rid of Pulis. There's no way I trust the current leadership to select and appropriate replacement and currently I feel that's the best argument for keeping hold of Bilic.

cheesyknackers

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3797 on: December 16, 2020, 06:37:50 AM »
I would be happy with Sam Allardyce . I am probably the only one though..

Important we stay up , especially if we are looking for a buyer .

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3798 on: December 16, 2020, 06:59:14 AM »
If the club has someone lined up and it looks like they might they can't keep them in the wings forever, the final decision was probably made at the weekend but the Man City game came too quickly and the battling point would have been largely unanticipated.

Equally the Madeley piece in the Athletic did highlight that the "do nothing" option was not available because of the fact that Bilic's contract was expiring. Whether you like the decision or not and on balance I don't the plain fact is if we are to survive there are 9 games between now and the end of January if we don't at least match Fulham's and Burnley's results through that period it is over. To have any chance of surviving the club had to make the decision sooner rather than latter.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

tegga

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3799 on: December 16, 2020, 07:08:10 AM »
What the hell is going on, ive got up this morning to the news Slaven could be sacked today. Have they got a magician lined up for the next manager, who could do any better with this group of players. This is Slavs team and he needs time to build on it, especially after last night he has shown he can get a result from this team.