Author Topic: Dwight Gayle (at Newcastle)  (Read 235043 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Dwight Gayle (on loan swap from Newcastle)
« Reply #450 on: April 14, 2019, 03:59:33 PM »
That was an unbelievable mistake.

and such an obvious one, its really sad that this and the farting about at the back were SO obviously wrong to almost everyone but Darren
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #451 on: April 14, 2019, 04:24:22 PM »
Perfect hat trick yesterday too I believe? Easily my player of the season a really hope we can keep him.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #452 on: April 14, 2019, 04:50:11 PM »
Think he is the priority for next season no matter where we are.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #453 on: April 15, 2019, 12:02:28 AM »
He'd score goals in the premier league, it just needs to be in the right system. He's never going to thrive in a very direct team where the ball is over his head most the time.

I don't think there's a better finisher around we could get really. Difficult to see him staying if we don't go up, I don't see us paying his wages - I'd be surprised if there was no interest from the premier league either.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #454 on: April 15, 2019, 12:15:43 AM »
Just needs to be beside a player who can feed him.
ala Jeff Astle, Tony Brown or Bobby Hope from the great 60's

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #455 on: April 15, 2019, 03:49:22 PM »
Absolute priority is to keep Gayle. Almost as important as the right manager.  I haven't seen such an instinctive goalscorer at The Hawthorns since Kevin Phillips.
Article in today's papers that he'd be keen to stay and that he's enjoyed his time with us.
High praise for Jimmy Shan.
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/04/14/hat-trick-hero-dwight-gayle-sees-his-future-at-west-brom/

Obviously, alot will depend on which division we're in, but given his comments above, you'd hope he'd want to stay reagrdless. This is where Luke Dowling has to earn his crust. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #456 on: April 15, 2019, 03:54:39 PM »
With Rondon wanting to stay at Newcastle and vice versa, there is definitely a deal there to be made.

If we are to remain in the championship, then its absolutely vital if we can get Gayle in on a permanent. Pretty much guarantees you 20 goals a season, and a player we should be looking to build a team round.

Absolutely criminal that he has spent 3 months of this season on the wing.

What has impressed me the most with Gayle is his willingness to run and work for the team. I am shocked he hasn't had more luck in the premier league.

Would be more than happy to see him stay even if we went up.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #457 on: April 15, 2019, 04:46:54 PM »
Absolute priority is to keep Gayle. Almost as important as the right manager.  I haven't seen such an instinctive goalscorer at The Hawthorns since Kevin Phillips.
Article in today's papers that he'd be keen to stay and that he's enjoyed his time with us.
High praise for Jimmy Shan.
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2019/04/14/hat-trick-hero-dwight-gayle-sees-his-future-at-west-brom/

Obviously, alot will depend on which division we're in, but given his comments above, you'd hope he'd want to stay reagrdless. This is where Luke Dowling has to earn his crust.

I acknowledge and can, to an extent understand your opinion, but no player is more important than the right Manager / Head Coach
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #458 on: April 15, 2019, 04:56:33 PM »
A Premier League striker, no doubt about it.

Is he though?

He's very much like Robert Earnshaw - at this level he's guaranteed goals, but take him any higher and he's not great.

He's also coming to a period in his career where his pace will go and he'll start getting more niggling injuries. As much as I've enjoyed his goalscoring, I wouldn't want to take him on a big money, long term contract - something I suspect we haven't got in the budget anyway.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #459 on: April 15, 2019, 05:43:01 PM »
Is he though?

He's very much like Robert Earnshaw - at this level he's guaranteed goals, but take him any higher and he's not great.

He's also coming to a period in his career where his pace will go and he'll start getting more niggling injuries. As much as I've enjoyed his goalscoring, I wouldn't want to take him on a big money, long term contract - something I suspect we haven't got in the budget anyway.

I’d be happy to sign him but if we are championship he is a must whereas if we are premier league in not so sure as I agree that if he loses his pace and mobility then he’s not so effective.

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #460 on: April 15, 2019, 05:48:36 PM »
when people say "he's a Championship striker" what they're really saying (even if they don't really mean it) is that he thrives in an attack-minded setup, which the Championship allows you to run when you have one of the best rosters in the league (like we do).

the problem is that (if we achieve promotion) we're unlikely to run such a free-attacking setup in the premier league, instead choosing to manage results to avoid relegation. This will see more 4-5-1s and 5-4-1s as opposed to the 4-3-3s or 3-5-2s, with less support for Gayle to have the same kind of effect (never mind going against better defenses/goalkeepers).

I think his time at Newcastle well illustrates this. 23 goals for them in the Championship while they were the highest scoring team in the league but not even close to the same kind of impact when Newcastle was trying to retain their place in the PL (6 goals) and scored less than half the goals they scored the prior season (85 in the Championship, 39 last season in the PL - 13th in the league)

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #461 on: April 15, 2019, 05:51:40 PM »
I acknowledge and can, to an extent understand your opinion, but no player is more important than the right Manager / Head Coach

I kind of agree with you, but how do you think we would do with Guardiola in charge if the forwards he had to work with were HRK, Montero and Anichebe?
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #462 on: April 15, 2019, 06:30:51 PM »
I kind of agree with you, but how do you think we would do with Guardiola in charge if the forwards he had to work with were HRK, Montero and Anichebe?

Better than anything we've done since the early 80s.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #463 on: April 15, 2019, 06:52:12 PM »
when people say "he's a Championship striker" what they're really saying (even if they don't really mean it) is that he thrives in an attack-minded setup, which the Championship allows you to run when you have one of the best rosters in the league (like we do).

the problem is that (if we achieve promotion) we're unlikely to run such a free-attacking setup in the premier league, instead choosing to manage results to avoid relegation. This will see more 4-5-1s and 5-4-1s as opposed to the 4-3-3s or 3-5-2s, with less support for Gayle to have the same kind of effect (never mind going against better defenses/goalkeepers).

I think his time at Newcastle well illustrates this. 23 goals for them in the Championship while they were the highest scoring team in the league but not even close to the same kind of impact when Newcastle was trying to retain their place in the PL (6 goals) and scored less than half the goals they scored the prior season (85 in the Championship, 39 last season in the PL - 13th in the league)

If you look at the minutes played for Gayle in the Prem last season he was rarely given 90 mins.  8 games in total he got a full run out.  Compare that to Rondon this season (18 lots of full 90 mins).  In minutes (and 1958 mins vs 2248 mins (with 4 full games to go).  Assuming he continues to play Rondon for the full 90 that's 2608 mins.  Gayle scored 6, Rondon has 9 so far. 

I really don't think there's *that* much between them as goals go stat wise.  I don't think if Gayle got the same chances that Rondon has had that he'd be much behind Rondon, if at all. 

It's difficult because if I wanted a lone forward to help hold the ball up and bring others into the play I'd prefer Rondon.  If I wanted a striker to put the ball into the net, it's Gayle every time.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #464 on: April 15, 2019, 09:37:54 PM »
Are we playing big Vic in CM and when did he come back?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #465 on: April 16, 2019, 10:01:50 AM »

I did say “the right Manager / Head Coach” clearly the likes of Guardiola would, initially, find difficulty coaching the quality of players we have and the type of football played at our level. No doubt he would learn and adjust accordingly, because he is a world class Coach.

Regarding the players you specifically mentioned, it is unlikely any Manager / Head Coach would be able to improve their footballing skills and, particularly, their techniques at this stage of their careers as they are all ready ingrained in the player, bad habits and all. The only thing he might be able to tweak is tactical aspects of their game.

And if is was between keeping those players and a good fit Head Coach for us, it would have to be, in my view, bye, bye players, welcome new Head Coach  :)

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #466 on: April 16, 2019, 10:10:04 AM »
when you have a player that states he wants to join and is currently one of your best players you sign them up

Get him in Albion
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #467 on: April 16, 2019, 10:19:04 AM »
I have enjoyed ever second of Dwight’s time with us this season, but if it was between buying him or appointing Jokanovic, I personally would choose the Jokanovic option.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #468 on: April 16, 2019, 02:01:35 PM »
On Fulhams radar if reports are to be believed

https://nothingbutnewcastle.com/2019/04/blogs/fulham-want-gayle/
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #469 on: April 16, 2019, 07:31:46 PM »
I did say “the right Manager / Head Coach” clearly the likes of Guardiola would, initially, find difficulty coaching the quality of players we have and the type of football played at our level. No doubt he would learn and adjust accordingly, because he is a world class Coach.

Regarding the players you specifically mentioned, it is unlikely any Manager / Head Coach would be able to improve their footballing skills and, particularly, their techniques at this stage of their careers as they are all ready ingrained in the player, bad habits and all. The only thing he might be able to tweak is tactical aspects of their game.

And if is was between keeping those players and a good fit Head Coach for us, it would have to be, in my view, bye, bye players, welcome new Head Coach  :)

I don't disagree with you about the importance of having the right Head Coach. My point, (and this thread) was about Gayle's importance, as I think we would really struggle to bring in someone of his goalscoring calibre, as well as his positive attitude.
So, I wouldn't be at all happy saying bye, bye Gayle.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #470 on: April 16, 2019, 07:35:08 PM »
This not a no brainer.
There are a number of issues.

1. Regardless of level unless he is played in the right system he isn't going to score 20+ goals a season or anything close to it.

2. If the new coach wants to play with a more orthodox target man (like Jokanovic) well Gayle is not that player.

3. I never like signing a 29 year old striker for a big fee and wages we have done far too much of this type of deal over the last 4 or 5 seasons.

I would never make a direct trade-off between a coach and a player.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #471 on: April 17, 2019, 08:45:19 PM »
Won the WBADSC player of the Year award today.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #472 on: April 17, 2019, 08:54:28 PM »
Won the WBADSC player of the Year award today.

And we’ll deserved. Many congratulations Dwight!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #473 on: April 19, 2019, 05:32:06 PM »
Please dont cock this one up Albion. Sign him up asap.
You've got to get past Jenkins and his ignorance.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #474 on: April 19, 2019, 06:28:13 PM »
116 minutes per league goal and he doesn't take penalties...